Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Cognitive Yammering

Old 14th of January, 2012, 17:00
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
Pathfinder character optimization boards?

Alright, well I guess I just had been used to the community that we had over on the 3ebb boards. It just seems like ORP doesn't have the people that are into that as much. Its not a negative statement I'm making there, believe me I understand how self-righteous and nerdrageish some of those people can get. It is a rare thing to find a more mature crowd of people interested in the same things in role playing that I am. ORP comes close but I feel that my need to pitch character ideas and bounce ideas off someone else's cranium isn't being satiated here.

I tried posting a few character ideas here with limited feedback. LeadPal helped out a lot with my elven swashbuckler quiet a bit and I really appreciated his and everyone else's help (Link, Tash, Merc). It really helped me flesh out that build. It was that kind of constructive feedback I was looking for with my ninja type character. That was met with very limited feedback though. Then came my rage chemist build which did help me learn a few things about how some of the alchemist abilities worked but I didn't feel I got a lot of feedback on build ideas. And my latest build was for the dwarven saurian shaman that I had started playing in LP's game. I had very limited feedback on that as well.

Bare in mind I am not slighting anyone for not posting. I think one issue is that I have been posting mostly Pathfinder builds and the number of people around these boards that are into Pathfinder seems small. I know that LP was/is but he isn't really around much these days. Back on 3ebb we used to have Jackelope King, Biffonacius Furios, Andorax and more. I know those guys are still around either on other boards, sites, etc. They aren't as available as they used to be and I sometimes miss the discussions we would have about helping people with their character designs. They understood that we weren't just trying to build the most powerful character but we were trying to build the character out on paper to meet with the idea that we have of them in our mind and to do so effectively. It seems that is a rare thing and I guess I took what we all had back then for granted. When Mercutio posted his build for the Samurai and Healer I was excited to help out by giving advice that he might find valuable. But it seems that outside of him and I that is about the extent of character advice/optimization that this board has seen lately.

So, I come to the community which I consider my online home to ask you all if you have another place you could recommend that I look to fill this void. I recently had a few ideas of my own so I decided to try my hand at posting on Rich Burlew's forums and didn't get even a single response. I was hopeful that Biff would see my post but no such luck. I then figured that I would give Paizo's boards a try cause if there aren't people there interested in their products then I really would be out of luck. I got a single response and then only after bumping my thread.

I can't think of many other places to go. I'm not going to resort to ENworld as I don't particularly like the attitude of the community at large over there. The WotC CharOp boards just don't seem appropriate any more and that group can often be nearly as bad as ENworld's population. Honestly, so far I have had the best luck here which is why I'm asking all you good people.

So does anyone have any suggestions for where I might look for this?
Old 14th of January, 2012, 18:28
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Well, I'd love to help, but I just am not sufficiently familiar with Pathfinder to really be of use. If it were a system I knew fairly well I'd be more useful.
Old 14th of January, 2012, 21:26
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I know, Link. And I appreciate the help you do give. Even just the opinions on stuff that is mostly flavor based is helpful.

Out of curiosity, have you ever given Pathfinder a good look over or considered playing in a game? I have a feeling that it would appeal to you based on what I know of you. I mean I know you joined LP's game but that didn't really get off the ground.
Old 14th of January, 2012, 22:16
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
lrn2pathfind link

Try Brilliant Gameologists. It feels much like 3ebb... for better or worse. It's still more of a 3.x place, but there are enough Pathfinder-friendly folks that I think you'll probably do ok.
Old 14th of January, 2012, 23:35
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Heya, LP! Did we like say your name 3 times and cause you to appear or something?

You know, I did look at their site before but probably didn't give it the chance it deserved. The site is blocked from work so I have to remote into my home PC to get to it so I just don't do it often. But I will give it a second try on your recommendation. Anyone we know over there?

Oh, and if you ever wanted to weigh in with your opinions on my builds I wouldn't hold it against ya.
Old 15th of January, 2012, 00:24
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I know the feeling, and I've been going to ENWorld and AtomicThinkTank, but ENWorld is way more unfriendly than it used to be (seriously, it's almost as bad as RPG.net now) and ATT is only for M&M (for obvious reasons).

ORP is a great place for a lot of things, but it's not a rules lawyery-charop-monthly creation contest kind of site. Sadly. As the rest of the environment is about the best mix of personalities I've found.
Old 15th of January, 2012, 05:13
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Originally Posted by Lune # Heya, LP! Did we like say your name 3 times and cause you to appear or something?
The 5e announcement has me checking in more often than I would otherwise. Gotta stay up to speed.

Originally Posted by Lune # Anyone we know over there?
I've seen folks from various boards, but none I recall from 3ebb. I don't visit regularly though, as I've mostly sworn off proving people wrong on the Internet.

I lurk on the Gaming Den all the time, but it's extremely Pathfinder-hostile. And charop tends to get a lot of eye-rolling. And it's just generally aggressive--it is, after all, a place where "go suck a barrel of cocks" is a beloved stock insult. But the community takes rules design and criticism seriously, so it'd be be a disservice not to at least point it out.
Old 16th of January, 2012, 00:45
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Hey Lune- probably one of your best bets for character creation feedback is paizo's message boards. They seem to have a very active community over there, and well, it is the home of Pathfinder after all.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw that you tried there. Huh. There are a few useful guides there that I know have been posted (there's a Magus guide that is pretty decent, even if I don't agree 100% with its conclusions).
Old 16th of January, 2012, 01:21
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
The cleric optimization guide there was actually pretty helpful, even if I did ignore some of its advice.

I still haven't found a good monk guide, and the ones I've found are concentrating on the tripper/grappler monk, which I'm decidedly not interested in.
Old 8th of February, 2012, 12:19
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

Member: #1690
Surprised about the lack of response on the Paizo boards - usually those folks over there are swarming with ideas. Could be there are just so many threads that yours was overlooked?
You might want to try Canonfire! I realize that is Greyhawk land, but there is an entire sub-forum devoted to 3rd edition/Pathfinder.
There is also some 3E/Pathfinder interest over on osrgaming.org.

Good luck!