Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Old 5th of September, 2010, 17:54
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
Steel, Sorcery, & Lotus Dust.

Game: Steel, Sorcery, & Lotus Dust.

System: Sorcerer http://adept-press.com/role-playing-games/sorcerer/

Books encouraged ( There are only four, and you really only need the core, and it isn't expensive. ) But not required. The system is relatively rules light but strong on systems that provoke RP. So as long as you can get 'into' your character design and give me a clear idea of where you are trying to go, I can walk you through it with relative ease.

Genre: Sword & Sorcery

Adventures in the spirit of Conan and Elric. Steel, Sorcery, and the fine fragrance of the Lotus Blossom. Life is cheap, the blood runs free, and riches, women, and power are the prizes for the taking. Sorcery is dark, mysterious, and deadly. The world is full of civilizations that are startlingly different and littered with the ruins of the great peoples and horrors of the past. Liberty and 'Social Justice' are things unknown. Slavery is everywhere, even if it is called serfdom. Social classes are the norm.

Game Intent/Tenets:

-Communal World-Building. All players accepted into the game are encouraged to contribute to the creative development of the setting. New cultures, geography, creatures, plants, drugs... whatever. If you have a cool idea, we can talk about it as a group and write it into the setting. There won't be a whole map of the world when we get started. There won't be a whole list of cultures or peoples etc. If you want something that hasn't been come up with yet for your character, just pitch it. I reserve the ultimate arbitration of what gets included or not in the setting.

-Character Driven Stories. Be prepared to have your character make decisions. On your own. About things they ( you ) want. And then run with it. Don't wait for me to motivate you or your character. Your character should 'hit the ground running' with a head full of thoughts, ideas, and desires. If you don't, I won't pull you along, and you won't have as much fun. I won't have as much fun. I might decide that you are more work than another more self motivated player would be and give your slot to someone else.

-Everything has a price. Power isn't a problem. But can you handle it? And pay for it? Sorcery is powerful. Sorcery is Unnatural and in some ways inherently a thing almost inimical to humans and the world they live in. Demons -want- things. Like being Summoned and Bound and let out into the world. Like raw flesh to eat and the collected tears from seven only just not-virgins to drink like oh so fine wine. Sorcerers... yeah, a lot of them aren't so nice. But if you delve straight out into the 'deep end' of what is ultimately unknowable and inimical to the human mind, you probably go bonkers and, figuratively, drown. Drown like a disturbing madman lost adrift in an ocean of crazy. Good luck making it back, don't get your drool on me in the meantime. Some 'natural' things in the world are so big and bad that really only a Sorcerer stands a chance of saving humans from them. A fine balancing act is yours to perform. Or we can all have fun watching you go down the sure road to failure. Either way.

-Posts should be readable and of a reasonable ( 300-400 words 'average', depending on the situation ) length. Typos are inevitable, but consistent hackery and daggers unto my eyes will inspire me to remove you as a source of my cognitive pain and disruption. Now watch 'me' butcher something glaring and obvious now that I've said that. Anyway.

Setting Tenets:

- Biological life is highly variable in different areas of geography. The farther one goes from 'civilized' lands the more hostile the environment is likely to be to human life. Yet somehow, even in the most 'hostile' lands, humans can still have a presence. It might be like those poor buggers on skull island, all huddled and terrified behind their crumbling ruin of a wall and living a subsistence existence while oh so eager to resort to human sacrifice to survive... but, they are there. In fact, spooky horrible tribes like that are pretty much par for the course for the genre.

- Cultural and Technological differences between societies/civilizations in the setting can be profound. Some of this can be due to geographic separation though this is emphatically -not- necessary. Societies of 'unrealistic' differences can be juxtaposed against each other. Generally speaking the 'highest' level of technology in the setting is high-medieval. The lowest... well, see the above about the tribes and whatnot.

- Sorcery, Alchemy, and Mesmerism are the only 'supernatural' powers that humans can possess. All of them are, relatively speaking, the province of Sorcerers and not the common man. Sorcery is dark and feared, Alchemy is 'unnatural' and not understood, and Mesmerism is almost as feared as Sorcery with the power it can grant over Men. Sorcery revolves around the contacting/summoning/binding of Demons. Demons, as if it should need to be said, are 'not nice'.

- Barring someone wanting to include some sort of Amazonian culture somewhere on the map as a general rule in a 'swords & sorcery' setting gender has a significant impact on social roles and mores. More over patriarchal societies where women are by and large ruled if not simply owned by men are the most common type of social structure. This does not mean a woman can not hold social power of some kind or that unusual/unique women characters that flout these tendencies/conventions do not exist. If you can't stand these 'gender issues' I encourage you not to play.

- The same goes for race or ethnicity. Depending on how the setting gets created once the game is underway there very likely could be some racial stereotypes. Some people are going to be 'civilized' and some could be portrayed as more 'barbarous' or 'savage'. This is part of the genre. If you can't stand some these 'race issues' I encourage you not to play.

Player / Character Submissions:

- At least a paragraph or two on your concept and where you might want to go with it, so I can understand some depth.

- Let me know if you are familiar with the system and whether you have the books. ( Like I said, not required, but if you do have them I'm sure it will help you. )

- Stats aren’t so much a concern at this stage as concepts/fluffery. The system is pretty simple and we can go over that once we have a group assembled.

- Not all characters need to be ‘sorcerers’ in the sense of being ‘practitioners’ of the ‘dark arts’ or the like. Conan has used some rudimentary sorcery himself in his own adventures, in the original works by Howard! Just be open at least to supernatural ‘interaction’ of some kind with the character at least. Also, the stereotypes of modern fantasy ( big fighters, wimpy mages for example ) do not apply.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."

Last edited by Vortigern; 6th of September, 2010 at 16:59.
Old 6th of September, 2010, 10:11
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Member: #8160
Are you looking at a group of people all generally acting together, or are you looking for a number of people inhabiting a shared world, who may or may not do stuff together?

And should the players expect to have plans, but have them somewhat adjusted by a story being imposed on them, or are you generally planning to run logistics and overwatch while all the players do whatever they dream of doing?
Old 6th of September, 2010, 11:49
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

I will likely have a story/plot to tell, but first as the players are recruited and build their characters sections of the world will be 'colored in'. This has to happen before much more definition can take place.

It would probably be preferable in some ways if the characters affiliated themselves with each other, but that isn't 'necessary'. People can make what they want and the game will come together from that point as I work things behind the scenes as it were.

Old 6th of September, 2010, 12:46
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Hmmmm. I'm interested, but currently finding myself uninspired. The game framework sounds pretty fun, I just don't know exactly what I'd want to play. But I'll think it over, and see if something hits me.
Old 6th of September, 2010, 13:05
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Well perhaps I can help?

The first question would be to define the culture you want your guy to come from.

Does it have an analog in history? What technological level does it have?

How does it perceive sorcery? How does your character perceive sorcery?

If you can define the culture he is from you will have a lot of your work done, I think.

Old 6th of September, 2010, 13:54
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

His culture is fairly hedonistic and debased. Nero in Rome sort of a place - those with money indulge their wishes and whims, those with less debase themselves in the hope of getting some. Those with nothing pray they don't get killed for offending those with.

He's exceptionally pro-sorcery. Presumably the demons have the most creative ways of killing and abusing people. I guess, thinking about it, he's very MelniwhateverElricWas in a lot of ways. I imagine him to be the type that kills small animals in various ways, just to see how they react to various forms of assault. Problem is that feels like such a shallow characterization, I don't know how to make him interesting, and base him on a core of reality, so that he's not a "Muahahahaha I'm so naughty" caricature.
Old 6th of September, 2010, 14:09
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Melnibone.

The Melniboneans were not so very very bad to other Melniboneans, but were rather horrific in their treatment of humans and other races etc. Pro-sorcery, lots of icky badness, but still essentially ( until their decadent downfall ) rather 'us vs. them' and taking care of their own more than not.

Since you describe this society as decadent and wealthy I would presume they are either at their height or in decline?

The essential question to give the character life, IMO, is this: What does he want?

-Why- does he practice sorcery? -What- does he use it for, what does he get out of it? And, this is just as important, what does he usually pay his demons with, and how does he feel about it?

Old 6th of September, 2010, 16:21
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7487
Sorcerer like, Ron Edwards' Sorcerer?

Old 6th of September, 2010, 16:58
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Yes, that is the system. I added a link for the system webpage above, for those that are unfamiliar.

Last edited by Vortigern; 6th of September, 2010 at 17:00.
Old 8th of September, 2010, 12:09
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

ErgoCat, would it help if I assisted you in fleshing out the culture and setting elements of your idea? I have received some comments from people saying they are interested and like the idea of the game but are having trouble articulating a concept.

So, in general, if anyone is interested at all... I'm willing to help, and if it comes to it to simply design the 'starting point ' of the setting myself if need be, so people have things to start with. Part of what I was wanting to do was to give people the freedom to create things in the game world while, with my arbitration, stitching it all together into something that didn't 'feel' hodgepodge even though it was. And just watch what people came up with. But if that seems to be presenting some difficulties for people, we can go in babysteps.

Old 8th of September, 2010, 12:26
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Vortigern # ErgoCat, would it help if I assisted you in fleshing out the culture and setting elements of your idea? I have received some comments from people saying they are interested and like the idea of the game but are having trouble articulating a concept.

So, in general, if anyone is interested at all... I'm willing to help, and if it comes to it to simply design the 'starting point ' of the setting myself if need be, so people have things to start with. Part of what I was wanting to do was to give people the freedom to create things in the game world while, with my arbitration, stitching it all together into something that didn't 'feel' hodgepodge even though it was. And just watch what people came up with. But if that seems to be presenting some difficulties for people, we can go in babysteps.
My issue is actually somewhat the opposite. I have very little issue envisioning the culture as a whole. It's creating an individual within that culture who also has a reason to leave it, but isn't Elric.

Right now I'm thinking that there was a contesting of power that went beyond the normal playful sorties, and inadvertantly became serious, and had consequences (something that his people aren't mentally well equipped to handle). One of those consequences involved the losing side (his) being evicted wholesale from the kingdom, on pain of torture, damnation, and exquisite pain, of the sort that only a demon with the ability to touch your soul can inflict. He is pissed as all hells about his eviction, and about the world he finds himself in, which is sorely lacking in the things he is accustomed to find, and highly unwilling to conform to his desires. I'd like him to be a sorcerer, but one that is currently uncertain of his standing, given that he has certainly pissed off a least a fair number of demons, and isn't sure about his former "allies" either.

Thoughts? I guess I mainly just had to sit down and start typing.
Old 8th of September, 2010, 14:37
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

I would love to play, but though I've been following Sorcerer for years I've never actually purchased the books...

Old 8th of September, 2010, 14:42
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Well the system really is more focused on roleplaying and drama than anything else. The mechanics of the system are very light, which is why I said that books, while encouraged, are not required. I can walk everyone through everything very easily.

So if you are interested, feel very welcome regardless. Just pitch a character concept and we can start working on things.

Old 9th of September, 2010, 05:22
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

As luck would have it, my housemates had all four books!

I will read through them and pitch a concept asap. Definitely interested.

Old 9th of September, 2010, 20:33
GIJ00
Ghoul

Member: #7593
As we've discussed, I'm interested. Just working on the concept...
Old 9th of September, 2010, 20:37
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Alright, I'm going to put in a forum request and we can start working on character and world development in seperate threads for everyone, rather than all on top of one another. Feel free to comment in each others threads, as long as it is 'on-topic' etc.

Old 10th of September, 2010, 03:11
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

I haven't gotten the book yet - my favorite part of the Stormbringer game was the binding of demons in to items. Is that still a thing that can happen?
Old 10th of September, 2010, 08:58
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Yes. That is certainly possible. Just don't be under the false impression that it will keep you from having to deal with the demon's personality or the like.

Old 10th of September, 2010, 10:55
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by Vortigern # Yes. That is certainly possible. Just don't be under the false impression that it will keep you from having to deal with the demon's personality or the like.
Why on earth would I want to avoid dealing with it?

Aranax and Scriscas, a matched pair of rapier and main-gauche. Aranax is a demon of pain and of hate - his tithe to stay within the rapier, guiding it with speed and force, is the murder of a man at least once a fortnight by violence (he's a simple sort, and finds his current position within the weapon of a man lacking in most basic morals to currently be to his liking). Scriscas's toll is more macabre, and somewhat harder to achieve - every month, the blood of a woman in the throes of ecstasy. But as long as he receives it, he warns his owner of unseen threats.

Aranax is crude, boastful and vile, constantly whispering words of violence and violations whenever he is unsheathed. Scriscas is somewhat more cultured, choosing to frame his debauchery in flowery words that tickle the mind, and beautiful songs of horrible events that linger just on the edge of hearing.

Grigori has owned Scriscas for nearly 17 years, since he became a man (his first conquest was also the first to feed the demon), and it was Scriscas who recommended Grigori seek out and bond Aranax 5 years later. Originally, there was a third demon, bound in a suit of supple chainmail, but he deserted Grigori upon exile.
Old 10th of September, 2010, 15:40
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

I still have no idea what I wanna be, but it's probably gonna be more sorcery than sword. How about a necromancer? Can I do something like that?

Old 10th of September, 2010, 16:19
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Ergonomic Cat:

That all sounds great. Just bear in mind that you only get one 'free' demon to start with. The other, if you are wanting to have two, will have to be summoned seperately and this risks humanity loss. Up to you. The 'lost' demon(s) you want to have in your background or no big deal.

Croaker:

Necromancy is possible as a variant of sorcery, but effectively it still works on the sorcery/demons mechanics. It also tends to be heavy on the 'provoking chances to lose humanity' type of stuff.

You can explore it if you like, up to you. One option is to take as your 'free' starting demon something like a possessor demon that can animate corspes or the like when/if you decide you want it to.

Yet, beyond that, I'd like to hear more about the personality and culture of your guy. We can get more into this sort of thing as we delve into character creation etc once the forum is up.

Old 10th of September, 2010, 16:28
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Originally Posted by GIJ00 # As we've discussed, I'm interested. Just working on the concept...
Let me know when you have anything you would like to discuss.

Old 10th of September, 2010, 16:36
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Forum is up.

http://online-roleplaying.com/forums...lay.php?f=1771

Old 10th of September, 2010, 22:35
Ergonomic Cat
Bodak [GM]

Summoned pregame using the rules or summoned on game? Mostly it just affects how the back story goes....