Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Unread 21st of May, 2008, 04:09
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
What are you talking about now? (OOC)

So, this is it! Welcome to Campaign everyone! I'll be putting up campaign specific information in the near future, but until then, have a good time getting familiar with one another.

This is going to be great!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 05:08
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781

HOORAY!!!!!!

I have no idea what I'm gonna play, but now I know I'm a traveller finding myself on the scorched world of Athas!
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 05:20
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
Athas?!? I thought....oops nevermind.

Like LadyGlutter, I'm still debating what type of character I'm going to be playing. I'm just rather excited to play my first Epicly-Epic adventure.
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 10:59
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Impudent fools! You thought you could escape Doom's notice? Folly!

Legions of Murderbots are being dispatched to your locations, as well of the locations of your loved ones! Doom shall rule this 'Athas' with a nuclear-powered, steel-gauntleted fist! No one is more epic than DOOM!
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 12:21
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
Sweet! Where the heck is Athas? What world are we in again?
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 14:47
Chris Chandler

Hey, great to see everyone!

Okay, to be quite frank I'm a little nervous about this endeavor. I like each of you as players (obviously), and have been giving myself a bit of a psyche out, about things. It's just new campaign flutters, I'm sure.

Okay, now to it. If you aren't familiar with Athas, or Dark Sun, don't sweat it. The way I see it, this place is going to simply be the starting point, not necessarily the end-all. For the curious, though, visit the keepers of Athasian lore. It's not required reading, but it can give some insight for if you want to play someone from the planet.

To that end, you folks are epic, which means that you either have the personal means, or know someone who has the means, of getting you from point A to point B, wherever that might be. That means that even though the backdrop is Athas, you most definitely are not limited in your goals with character creation.

Some starting Guidelines:

Character rolling: Geeze, you're epic, right, roll to taste and tell me the result. I'm expecting high power, so if, after you have rolled, your point-buy total is lower than... 40, try again. Seriously, I'm easy. I expect a maxed "primary stat" and some really good other stats. I mean, you sure didn't become epic by that circlet of persuasion...

Or did you?

Classes, Prestige classes, skills and feats are wide open, but please stick to WOTC stuff. I have trouble getting access to 3rd-party cra... products, and, honestly, the sprawl is bad enough with what our friends from Renton have provided us. Any 3.5 or non-replaced 3.0 is acceptable, but run stuff by me first before you set your heart on something. Oh, and go ahead and give me a vote for starting level. If you folks don't care, we'll stay at the shallow end of the pool, at level 25.

Equipment will be by the book(s), which means you have a lot of choices. Again, lemme know what you are considering, so I have some idea. If you want to dive into custom items, then naturally we'll be working together.

A note on alignment, et al. It's a shoehorned contrivance that keeps you from playing that bardic monk, but it's still there. I personally have always functioned better when I get to play the bad guys. I humbly request that the party lean toward the good side.

Get to know one another. I think that the best way to have a great party is for the players to have a good rapport. I'm not saying that you have to have a "cohesive 4-character party" AT ALL. I want you to play what you want. The only thing that I would like to see, honestly, is that you, as players, have a decent handle on each other. No, I don't want to see interrelated backstories, I said players. Take some time out before we get to crunching and have a drink, so to speak.

I'll start things off:

http://home.nc.rr.com/tuco/looney/acme/acme.html

I believe that anything beginning with "jet" or "rocket" gets my vote, thought I do love the do-it-yourself-tornado kit.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 22:48
Doombot

I'm new to epic levels myself, so this'll be a learning experience. I'm assuming that the SRD has enough epic level material for me to know roughly what I'm doing?

Are monstrous races ok? I've been considering playing a grappling-based character/meat shield, so of course something big with long arms would suit me there. Either that, or an Epically Extrapolated version of This Guy. If I went monstrous, I'd try to keep the LA down so I could squeeze more classes.

Since I'm a new face around here (except to Chris), I'll give everyone a quick low-down: I love beer and hate country music. I enjoy mocking people openly, although I've been told that I'm a really nice guy. Don't worry though, I'm working on that last one, and I'll try to not let it affect The Game.
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 22:58
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Doom's just a pink fluffy bunny despite what he says. Don't take him (too) seriously.

And I'm posting that here because you ain't got no visitor's thread and someone had to 'warn' y'all. *nod*
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 22:59
Doombot

Bad Tashalar! 'Raus! Gehst du weg!
Unread 21st of May, 2008, 23:48
Chris Chandler

Hey, I welcome the visitors here, if only to openly mock and denigrate my players.

I like Aros a lot, Doom. It'd be interesting to continue him to an epic point.

Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 00:22
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
Mind if I work up a wearbear?
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 00:35
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Thanks for the warning Tashalar, but I'm sure I can handle the Doombot, after all he's just a Doombot!

Besides, we do have so much in common seeing as I hate beer, and love country music. See we have a great love/hate relationship.

A couple other quick notes about myself, I do love Ouzo, which is far better than beer, and I enjoy working in my garden, getting my hands dirty. I also don't mind mocking, as long as those who mock, can handle being mocked.

On the game side, I have several character ideas I'm debating, but I haven't set anything in stone. A couple are characters that were created, but then got very little play time, and I hate putting a lot of sweat and tears into something that then just sits around. I'll be happy to play any of these ideas, but was waiting to get more of a group impression.

Okay I better do some work now, I'll check in later.
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 02:52
Doombot

Feel free to mock away! I've got thick skin. Most of the time.

Ouzo, eh? According to the wisdom of my friend, "it's like drinking candy." I'll stick with my wonderful beers, since I've already developed a taste for them, and it sounds kind of like bear. Bears are good.

Man, my little cat must be pissed today; he's dragging his sister around the apartment by her throat, and she's not happy about it.

Edit: Chris, I also really enjoy Aros, I'm just not sure what way to take him after level 20. Maybe an acquired template? Dunno.
So my thoughts right now are either Epic-Aros, or Reaping Mauler/Bear Warrior grapple-monkey. Probably troll or something similar. Comments?
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 03:59
Chris Chandler

Hmm...

Personally, I'd like to see a dire wearbear. A wearbear, and a grapple-monkey. Those sound decidedly tank-like. Both would be quite interesting. Personally I just like the RP synergy between a wearbear and a bear warrior. Very interesting, philosophically speaking!

Aros, though - there's some good stuff to take him up into 20th level (Suel Arcanamach, others), but then there are a few epic PrC options that might work, as well.

OH!

If you folks don't know about it, this is the best SRD around. It does have the essence of the epic handbook, which is good, because the fluff in that book is bloody frustrating.

LB, I think that, of the three suggestions that you have had earlier, you would have the most satisfaction with Omni, or an iteration of that character. I think that Walker makes for a very good "tourist", with the same misgivings that you have. As far as Cass is concerned, I don't think you'd have the satisfaction you'd have with an Omni-type.

LG, you are right about one thing, and that is the ELH is very frustrating. We can take a look at your considerations after you get back.

Oh, yeah, LG'll be back... most likely Thursday evening.

As a note, please don't consider printed material as carved in stone, so to speak. If you come across something you like, but it isn't quite right, let me know, and we'll see what we can do about that. Case in point - the dire wearbear. That isn't in the MM/SRD, but it's easily built.

Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 04:30
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Yeah, I don't think the bounty hunter varient I was debating would go to well either. So that puts me on spell-casting duty, which is fine for me. I'll start tweaking Omni out. I may even go with the Descryer.
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 05:08
Chris Chandler

Nice - I really like that PrC. That is good stuff. You can say, "have you met my friend, whose name is unpronounceable in any mortal tongue?"

The only problem you have to worry about then is when they say, "Yes, we have tea every week."

Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 05:32
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Lol, , that would be realllllly screwed up!!
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 05:32
Doombot

The original progression for Aros was to be Ftr2/Hex3/Occult Slayer5/Suel Arcanamach 10. If I took him epic, I might add the Spellwarped template for some nice, anti-magic goodies, and then maybe more fighter or some Spellsword. What are some of those epic PrCs you mentioned?

I'm really leaning more into grappler though; maybe skullcrusher ogre (MM3), or a minotaur. A mino would give me more levels to work with, so that's looking a little more favorable right now.
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 05:36
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Methinks someone hath some pent up rage.
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 07:01
Doombot

RRRRRRAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 07:15
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Rofl!
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 10:37
Doombot

Hey, at least it's not pent up anymore. Nothing like a tall glass of Rage-ahol!
Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 12:37
Chris Chandler

Try here Doom. This has a list of both goofy progressions for regular classes, plus the Epic Prestige Classes.

Epic is a good chance to play that big HD+LA monster character with little penalty, especially if you aren't going for a caster-type.

Unread 22nd of May, 2008, 23:30
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

That's for sure Doombot.

I started the revamp last night, and it looks like Druid may be one of the classes I go with, and I'm thinking nothing as big as Doombot and MadDog are going for, probably just a little ol' half-elf.
Unread 23rd of May, 2008, 02:48
Doombot

Ooooh! Druids are fun! You could have some fun with Nature's Warrior, or Warshaper, or Master of Many Forms!