Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > LeadPal's Games > Rise of the Runelords

Closed Thread
Unread 7th of February, 2008, 12:42
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Burnt Offerings: Chapter One

"Hold on."

Quinn grabbed a comb lying on the desk nearby and ran it through his blond-auburn hair several times, determined to matte it down. Though the comb repeatedly snared in the harsh tangles on his head, he didn't hesitate to force it through. He'd overslept, and had to clean up, fast.

"Quinn!"

"Just a second! Trust me!"

After taking a moment to straighten out his linen vestments, Quinn took a step back to survey himself in the mirror one final time. His face was still damp from hastily washing himself down, but he was certain that no one would notice. The thin cut on his chin from his overly rushed shaving, on the other hand, worried him a bit more; it only just stopped bleeding. There was nothing he could do about that now, though.

He stared into himself, looking into his bright emerald eyes. Did true elves even need shave? He wasn't really sure. The fuzz that he needed to shave weekly was apparently less than what other boys his age had; perhaps if his father was full-blooded, he wouldn't need to shave at all.

"We're not waiting for you any longer."

Shaking his head and dispelling any thoughts of his heritage, Quinn turned and raced out of the lavatory, nearly tripping over the low folds of his alb as he did. Upon bursting out into the broad solarium that housed the shrine of Sarenrae, he cast a few meek glances at the other two acolytes that had stayed behind for him.

"About time. I'd hate to upset Father Zantus today."

"I'd be more worried about upsetting the mayor..."

The group rushed to the main entrance of the cathedral, left open to accomodate a large, high stage where the other dozen acolytes stood, their lined backs blocking view of the commons ahead. Quinn crept timorously up the stage... and took a deep breath at the sight.

Last edited by LeadPal; 26th of March, 2008 at 07:42.
Unread 7th of February, 2008, 12:46
LeadPal

Burnt Offerings: Chapter One

The crowd that had gathered for the festival was far greater than he could have expected; there were at least two thousand people packed into the clearing. The entire population of Sandpoint stood eagerly before the cathedral and the stage, conversing, cheering, shouting, and shifting, all the bodies massed in an ocean as dense and active as the one Quinn could see crashing out beyond the shores of the town. They were huddled in the dwindling shadow of the huge cathedral, now beginning to gleam in the noon light as the sun had nearly reached its apex; it may have been autumn in name already, but it still felt like the height of summer.

As Quinn moved into line with the others, a fair-skinned woman with a proud bearing stepped onto the stage, smiling warmly at the acolytes before waving to the crowd. She met with instant applause and approval from the audience, much as could have been expeceted; she was Mayor Kendra Deverin, and she was the most popular person in town.

"Hello newcomers!" she yelled out, loudly and clearly, to be met with even greater accolade. "I'm Mayor Kendra Deverin, and I welcome you to Sandpoint!"

The crowd only slowly began to cease their excited cries as the mayor dove right into her well-rehearsed speech. "Welcome, everyone, to the first day of autumn, and to the Swallowtail Festival! Today we'll be consecrating our newly-constructed cathedral, and celebrating as we do so. We'll be having a full day of entertainment; from musicians and dancers visiting from around Varisia to face-painting for children!"

The mayor walked across the stage calmly, motioning to the various areas around her. "Along Church Street, we have over a dozen different tents, featuring all manner of activities and merchants for your interest. Down Junker's Way behind you, we've set up several tables that will be serving free food throughout the day, provided by the White Deer Inn, the Rusty Dragon, Risa's Place, Sandpoint Savories, and many more locations! At the end, there will be a ballot for the best offering in town, so be sure to try as much as you like!"

"And as well," she added, pointing towards a series of covered wagons, "we'll be having two very special surprise events; one during nightfall, and one in only a few moments. Thanks go to Father Zantus, Cyrdak Drokkus, and Jubrayl Vhiski for their generous preparations."

She hesitated at this point, glancing down at her feet before returning her attention to the crowd, with a less commanding voice. "Haha... I must admit that I'm impressed by the turnout, and the number of new faces that I'm seeing. Sandpoint has grown greatly since its founding; even in the years I've been mayor. To those who'll be staying in our town, I'm looking forward to getting to know you in years to come; and to those who will be leaving after tonight, I hope you carry fond memories of Sandpoint, and this day."

She turned back towards the acolytes behind her, them still standing firmly and she still wearing her comforting smile. "I now give the stage," she finished, "to Sandpoint's finest, Sheriff Belor Hemlock!"

A burly, dark-skinned Shoanti man stepped up to shake hands with Mayor Kendra before she stepped off to the side, his large frame towering over her. Sandpoint's sheriff was spoken highly of by Father Zantus, as a hero and a quietly pious man, but he greatly unnerved Quinn nonetheless; he had never seen him anywhere outside of his clattering grey chainmail, and certainly never without a massive claymore on his back.

"Thank you," he said, in a deep, even voice, addressing the quieting crowd. "I would like to take the time to remind everyone of the importance of safety during the festival. As most of you no doubt remember, we are here to celebrate today only because we have perservered against the tragedies of the past... the... Late Unpleasantness."

The crowd grew almost completely silent, save for the odd murmurs of children that knew no better. While the Late Unpleasantness that ravaged Sandpoint had taken place over five years ago, it was still close in the minds of many citizens.

"Many people were... many had perished during this time, and we musn't forget their loss. In particular, we must be mindful of the fire that consumed the previous church, and took the lives of Father Ezakien Tobyn, and his daughter." He sighed, almost inaudibly, before going on.

"Let us pause in a moment of silent prayer for those who lost their lives in this tragedy."

The pause was indeed momentary; less than a minute, perhaps. But it was more than enough; not a family in Sandpoint went untouched by the Late Unpleasantness, and all appreciated the significance of the silence. Quinn found the time almost agonizingly long, for the topic was not one that he was comfortable returning to.

Belor raised his head after a moment, shifting a bit before finishing. "I now leave the stage to local playwright, Cyrdak Drokkus."

The applause as Belor stepped down was subdued... at least at first. But Cyrdak was nothing if not energetic. Running up onto the platform with a twirl and a flourish, the lean, vibrantly dressed man was more than up to the task of restoring the spirits of the crowd. The fact that he was something of a local celebrity certainly helped; a veteran playwright and actor, the shows at his theatre were the pride of the town.

"Hello, hello, and welcome!" he yelled out, in a rapid voice that bespoke of a quick wit. "Glad to have gotten that out of the way, and thrilled to see the turnout for the festival. I'm honoured to have been allowed to come up on stage and proud to have contributed as much as I did. And I must say that it's a wonderful thing that nearly everyone in town pitched in so much help to make the construction of this cathedral a reality."

"Of course, I suppose not all of you have heard of what we went through to get this building financed, what with so many of you being from out of town and all. Perhaps you're curious? Well, it was no easy feat! I mean, just getting the masonry alone..."

As Cyrdak began several idle tales of the various challenges to funding and constructing the cathedral, Quinn heard Belor muttering off to the side. "I thought he was just going to give a few thanks and get off the stage?"

"Give him his moment," the mayor whispered back. "The crowd is enjoying it, at least."

Quinn could tell that the sheriff was discontent. "I hope they don't forget what I said."

Cyrdak wound down quickly--if briefly--when Father Zantus, dressed in full ceremonial robes of satin black and sparkling silver, entered the stage directly behind the playwright without announcing himself. The development was highly amusing for both the attendants in line and for the audience.

"Oh! I, ah, well, um, suppose that's enough; I have a suspicion that Father Zantus wants to take the stage! Before I go, don't forget that next week, on the 29th, is the world premiere of The Harpy's Curse, a daring play of dark romance and terrible tragedy, starring none other than the beautiful and talented Allishanda of Magnimar! Tickets will be on sale in our tent on Church Street!"

"Mister Drokkus?"

"Ahh... and now, Father Abstalar Zantus!"

The priest waved off the foppish playwright with an exaggerated motion, before making a cursory look over the still-laughing audience. Father Zantus was a man of strong contrasts, in both appearance and in manner; dark hair and dark eyes on pale skin, chiseled features on a lean face, soft-spoken, yet never ignored. Even without addressing the crowd, he attracted their interest as he spoke to the acolytes.

"I trust you know what to do?"

As they nodded in response, Quinn's heart quickened as he grew nervous; his role in what would happen next was simple, but nevertheless a tremendous honour. His anxiety was suppressed only by a fierce pride in Zantus' high regard for him.

Father Zantus grinned, before turning quickly to begin the last speech of the afternoon.

"Hello, and welcome, faithful of all the creeds of civilization. We gather here to celebrate the consecration of this mighty temple: this beacon of holiness. I am Father Zantus, leader of our congregation, seeker of Desna and humble supplicant of the six gods."

Thoughtfully, he began to recite a parable that Quinn knew well. "We gather here today on the 23rd of Rova; the first of autumn. And indeed, if you will recall, this is the time that the goddess Desna fell from the heavens after doing battle with dark Rovagug."

"Rovagug gloated as he began to ransack her palace, laughing all the way as her body fell into the sea below. Though all the world wept for the loss of the goddess and of dreams, it is said that she survived, wounded, washed up on the rocks of the sea."

As if on cue, a particularly large wave swelled onto the cliffside well behind the crowd, accentuating the priest's point with a loud crash. He smiled at his luck, and the surprise of the audience, before going on.

"She was discovered there, on the rocks, by a blind orphan, forgotten and cast aside by all the world. Though the orphan knew not of who she had discovered and could do little for the wounded goddess, she still stayed there by her side, holding a vigil on the beachside, praying and tending to her as best she could. And though she tired and knew that she had little chance to recover, she remained all throughout the night and into the week, praying and keeping faith."

Father Zantus glanced over to the side of the stage as he neared the finish, meeting Quinn's gaze. The large wagon, covered firmly in canvas, had been wheeled into position during his story. They were ready.

"And eventually, Desna did recover, though all the world thought her lost; and to thank the child who had prayed for her health, she transformed her into an immortal butterfly to forever remain with her in her palace in the heavens."

Father Zantus hesitated before moving on, raising his arms up to draw attention to the cathedral. The tall building was now fully lit by the sun, and glistened with light from numerous panes of stained glass. "This story reminds us that tragedy is just a setback, not an end. Though our place of worship was destroyed, and our previous priest, Father Tobyn, perished in the flame, we have persevered as Desna would desire, and built anew. In celebration of our new and grand cathedral, let the Swallowtail Festival begin."

With that, Quinn, with the help of several other assistants, threw off the canvas of the wagon--and the crowd gasped as a thousand swallowtail butterflies, the Children of Desna, swirled out into the commons in a riotous explosion of colour. The butterflies fluttered in every direction, swarming to meet the awed townsfolk of Sandpoint, bringing out children eager to catch them.

The festival had begun spectacularly well... though it was not fated to end that way. For it was the first day of Sandpoint's second nightmare...

Last edited by LeadPal; 26th of March, 2008 at 07:41.
Unread 7th of February, 2008, 15:12
LeadPal

As the crowd began to disperse to address the rest of the festival, Quinn wandered to meet with Father Zantus. As always, he smiled at his approach.

"Well done, Quinn," he said. "Have you seen your family yet? I imagine your father should be proud of you."

"No, Father, I'm afraid I haven't seen them yet today." Quinn made a bold attempt to tame an annoyingly stray curl as he talked, to no noticeable effect. "I was busy with preparations this morning, and I just haven't had the time to track them down."

Of course, no need to mention that I overslept, he thought. What a silly thing to say...

Quinn shot his best unsure-but-game smile at Father Zantus. "And now that the opening ceremony is over, I really should go see them. Unless, of course, there is something else you need of me this morn?"

"No, not at all," the priest replied. "At least, not for the time being. We'll be needing you for the actual consecration at sundown--ceremonially, of course--but enjoy the festival while it lasts. I've heard that the Hagfish is serving lobster chowder this year... I think I might go to the lunch tables in a few minutes myself."

Father Zantus shifted uncomfortably in his heavy ceremonial robe, and wiped a bead of sweat from his brow. He was standing in the sun in full black during an unusually hot day, and was obviously not enjoying it.

"I don't believe I've ever been properly introduced to your family. Perhaps I could join you after getting changed?"

Quinn's smile faded. As much as he loved them, he couldn't get rid of the knot of dread that formed in his chest at the thought of descending on them with visitors. His sister might appreciate the company, but she was likely the only one. His father was very reclusive, and lately had been skittish around even close friends of the family. As for his mother... well, there was only so much that could be done to hide the damage that had been done to her in the Late Unpleasantness.

"Of course you are welcome to join us, Father. I'm sure that Rynshinn will be quite happy to see you." Quinn turned and looked around the crowd. "If you'll forgive me, but I've delayed seeing them long enough today." He bowed respectfully towards his mentor, then turned and fled.

Sarenrae help me, I love my family. Why am I acting so ashamed?

Leaving Father Zantus behind, Quinn crossed the teeming crowds in the commons to the White Deer Inn, where his sister Rynshinn had said to meet. While not as grand as the cathedral, or as gigantic as the Old Light, the inn was still hard to miss: the newly reconstructed building was three stories of clean and new timbers and masonry on the edge of town, blocked only by the town wall and its incredible view of the Varisian Gulf.

The large open doors were flanked by two large, painted birchwood statues of grazing deer that gave the inn its name, and it was here that Quinn saw Ryn leaning. Green-eyed, fair, and slight like him, with long, flowing, olive-brown hair, the resemblance between them was unmistakable--they were even the same height, much to Quinn's irritation.

"Hello, little brother," Ryn said in a soft voice at his approach. "I saw you up there. Pretty impressive."

"Thank you Ryn. I still feel amazed to have been a part of it." Quinn hugged his sister quickly, then released her.

"Father Zantus my be stopping to see us later today; did mother and father decide to come?" He looked around, trying to catch a glimpse of the familiar glint of his mother's heavy veils.

Ryn bit her lip, not sure what to say. "Father... didn't want to watch. He's alone with mother in the top room... well, not alone. They got their own private minstrel for the day, 'long with the room itself, as a gift from Garridan. The sheriff's brother."

She looked away briefly, to add "I'm sure he would have been just as impressed."

"That was very kind of him. I'm sure mother appreciates it; I'll have to make sure I thank him before today is over." Quinn looked into the inn, and towards the stairway leading to the upper floors. "I'm going to go up and visit with them for a bit. If Father Zantus comes looking for me, please tell him where I went to."

He climbed the two flights of stairs, and, listening for the sound of a minstrel, managed to find the room his mother and father were staying in. He knocked on the door, hoping it was loud enough to be heard over the music being played inside.

After a moment he slid inside. His mother was there, tucked into a chair. The blanket over her lap hid missing feet, and wooden and leather prosthetic hands, although completely useless, made her look almost normal. From this distance, Quinn's poor eyesight made it impossible to make out her features under the veil; he didn't need to, he'd seen the damage often enough over the past years.

He crossed the room and embraced his mother tightly. "Good morning, mother," he greeted her, lifting part of her veil and kissing her gently on one cheek, and she raised her arms up clumsily to hold him close, the only way she could reciprocate his affection. With little sunlight leaking from the closed black drapes, and only a single candle to take its place, Quinn knew that his father was the only person who could see clearly there. It was a blessing.

A listless halfling seated on an endtable in the corner lowered his recorder from his lips, to speak indistinctly. "Perhaps, Goodman, I should leave now." His eyes raised to a dark figure slumped near the low chest of drawers the candle sat upon. "For the moment."

"No..." Quinn saw his father raise his head to meet the halfling. He could hardly see his face in the gloom, but he didn't need to: it was always leeched of joy. "Keep playing. Something... jaunty. Jaunty."

The halfling sighed, and raised his instrument to play another tune. Despite his best attempts to quicken and embellish it, it seemed at its heart a more sombre song, chosen more to the halfling's mood. Quinn could see why.

"...son." Quinn's father lifted himself from his pose against the wall, stepping forward into the sliver of outside light. All Quinn could see in his gaze was a hazy gleam of jade, haloed in darkness. "...how was the festival?"

"The opening ceremony went well, and the festivities seem to be well on their way towards being... quite exuberent. At least, it seems that way to me."

Quinn rested lightly against the chest of drawers in the room, watching his father, and feeling altogether sorry for the minstrel. But hopefully his mother got some joy out of the day this way.

"...good," his father answered. "I'm glad you enjoyed it."

Silence, broken only by the minstrel's sad song, took the place of conversation. It always did; Quinn's father was muting himself more and more every year, and was now nearly as voiceless as his wife.

Quinn remained there, unsure whether to sit or stand, and uncomfortable in the darkness, until he heard footsteps to the door. When it swung open, saw opened from behind, bringing warm light back into the room and revealing Rynshinn's sillouette.

"Quinn... it's Zantus."

"Leave him." Quinn's father straightened himself out, and in the light he could see an echo of his former, bold self. "I don't want to... just leave us be."

"...Very well." Quinn turned away sorrowfully, and walked back down into the dining room, to the table where Father Zantus was sitting. Zantus had changed into a much lighter, blue outfit, no less fine but far less formal; in his hand was a creased sheet of vellum, with many lines of hasty script written on it.

"Quinn! Excellent." Zantus motioned for Quinn to take a seat and straightened out the sheet in his hand.

"Father..." Quinn paled slightly at the prospect of telling the priest away from his parents. "You wished to speak with us..."

"Ah, yes, I did... but, I'm afraid that I need to make new preparations with you." Father Zantus pushed the sheet towards the acolyte just as he sat. "I'm afraid that Mister Vhiski has been having some difficulty preparing the second event, and so he's asked that I make the following changes to keep it running smoothly. We'll be a bit short of hands, I think, so it's important that everyone know their part."

Quinn's eyes glossed over the many names and duties on the list, his head nodding as he found that his own role hadn't changed significantly. Before handing the list back, however, his eyes caught a name that he didn't recognize.

"Father Zantus... who is 'Seraph'?"

"Oh... He's going to be keeping watch over the wagons." Zantus shrugged. "I don't know who he is... but I'm certain that we'll find out soon."

Indeed, they would.

Last edited by LeadPal; 27th of March, 2008 at 08:33.
Unread 12th of February, 2008, 09:55
LeadPal

Burnt Offerings (Alde & Seraph)

It was somewhat ironic that Festival Street was so quiet during the Swallowtail Festival. Aside from the occasional stray butterfly fluttering across the street in a flash of white-mauve, or a few townsfolk passing through on brief breaks from the celebration in Uptown, the area was virtually deserted; the intended parade had been cancelled in favour of centralizing the entertainment in the church commons.

But Seraph Stormshroud wouldn't have the festival, or indeed the world, any other way.

There was a spring in the young man's step as he strode around the bend into sight of the celebrations. And why shouldn't there have been? Things were starting to look up for him: the struggle and misery of his adolescence was almost completely in his past, and his newly cleaned life seemed incomparably superiour. He had just taken on a new job as a dishwasher at the Rusty Dragon Inn & Tavern; sure, the pay was lousy as hell, but he had a free bunk in a room where he didn't have to sleep with a blade in his hand, and a hot meal every night that didn't make him feel ill after eating. He had enough money to last him months if his bad luck ever returned, and in the meantime could afford all manner of luxuries that he could never consider in his youth.

But best of all, he had made friends. Friends who didn't make impossible demands on him, or beat him for disobeying. Friends he didn't have watch for treachery, or for fear of abandoning him. Friends who cared about who he was, not just what he could do.

Friends just like Jel...

Seraph slowed, regretting where his mind took him. Sighing, he took a seat on a boulder at the edge of the cathedral's bluff, which sparkled ever the more impressively atop its high perch, and suddenly becoming mindful of the heat on the warm rock, he struggled to loosen the corded front of his leather jerkin. Eventually, the burgundy of the dark leather opened up to expose some of the lighter brown of his chest, and he could shift the bronze lamellar underneath to a more comfortable position. As he moved on to remove his stifling bracers, he started to wonder why he ever choose to wore such impractical attire.

He smirked as he remembered the answer: it was damn sexy. Trying to attract some glances from the women of the festival was the only reason he cared to go at all. And he was sure as hell going to do it, too.

Feeling a little better at the thought, Seraph shook a bit as he stood. He realised that the opium he had smoked through his hookah back in the inn a few minutes ago was just starting to take hold... and he was starting feel good. Confident and assured, like a king--of a small domain, perhaps, but it was enough. He tried not to smoke it too much, at least not anymore--but damn it, it was the Swallowtail Festival that day. He deserved it. And in a way, he needed it. Just that once, he was sure.

He continued to the lunch tables along Junker's Way, where over a half dozen large tents sat just before where one could usually see the junktoss, where Gorvi's boys would throw trash into the sea. Before them was a considerable selection of foods, continually being brought out from the tents to feed the crowds. At this point, there weren't too many people about, most having already eaten and turned their attention to the gaity on Church Street... which gave Seraph plenty of opportunity to stand out to the lovely lass sitting across at the first table.

While Seraph wasn't ordinarily much for Chelaxian women, she was an exception: she was voluptuously figured without being heavy, with pouty lips, soft features, and bright eyes that flitted towards him curiously.

Touching his dark hair briefly to confirm that it was in perfect order, he strode confidently towards her table, hardly interested in the food it bore, and for the first time in his life, Seraph knew that luck was on his side. At least, he thought it was...
Unread 12th of February, 2008, 10:37
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Member: #1716
Seraph felt a low purr of want and delight (or was it wanton delight?) rise in his throat as he took in the sight of the woman. She was quite possibly the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, or at least the most beautiful woman in the village. Still, ticking at the back of his mind was a suspicion that he had had a situation like this before. The opium running rampant in his veins told him otherwise, and he strode towards the girl.

A smile was beaming on his face revealing average teeth but showing true warmth. An honest affection on his perfect bronze face that he was sure the sun was now making look godly. Seraph replayed his morning ritual in his mind's eye to reassure himself. Shaved, check. Polished armor, check. Smoke if you got 'um, check. Dagger for trouble, check; and he was certain that no one was going to find the rest of his gear back in the Rusty Dragon. What would his landlord say if they caught him with enough weapons to hose down a small army?

Seraph reached the table and quickly took a seat opposite the girl, laying his head in his arms while staring at her.

"It should be a crime to leave something so precious alone," he said softly.

Last edited by LeadPal; 12th of February, 2008 at 10:52.
Unread 12th of February, 2008, 11:03
LeadPal

The girl tilted her head and leaned forward a bit, held captive by the handsome face before her.

"Oh, I think so too..." she answered back, in a sensuous, smooth reply, grinning softly. "Care for a slice of pie? Any kind, if you want... unless, you wanted something else...?"

Last edited by LeadPal; 12th of February, 2008 at 11:12.
Unread 12th of February, 2008, 11:20
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"I had something more sweet in mind," Seraph said outstretching a hand to the young maiden.
Unread 13th of February, 2008, 06:00
LeadPal

"I'm sure..." She leaned forward, placing her hand into his. "My name's Shayliss. Yours...?"
Unread 13th of February, 2008, 10:15
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"Seraph," he said plainly. He took the womans hand with a slightly taut grip and moved in closer to her face across the table. When he could hear Shayliss' breathing, he paused a moment, staring deep into her eyes, then giving her a deep kiss.

Maybe my luck's turning around after all. Seraph smiled and then spoke up, "Would you like to go somewhere more...private?"

He pausesd, thinking for a moment "Or do you want to go enjoy the festivities?"

We can always do that later... Seraph grinned again. Oh yeah, my luck's changing.

Last edited by LeadPal; 26th of February, 2008 at 08:53. Reason: tense shifts
Unread 15th of February, 2008, 12:31
LeadPal

Shayliss blushed, and glanced behind her back before leaning in to whisper. "Oh, I'd love to, but my father expects me here all night." She quickly slid a random slice of apple pie to Seraph, and added, "Oh, but I'd love to soon. Father's rude like that..."
Unread 16th of February, 2008, 09:22
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

"Oh, come on" Seraph said slyly, "Live a little, I mean it is the Swallowtail Festival, I'm sure your father would understand if you went out for a little bit." Through his smile Seraph continued, "Besides, we wouldn't be gone too long if we're just checking out the festival."

Seraph found a fork on the table and took a bite of the pie out of politeness.

Last edited by LeadPal; 16th of February, 2008 at 09:49. Reason: *grumble*tense editing*grumble*
Unread 16th of February, 2008, 09:59
LeadPal

Shayliss twirled her hair thoughtfully before glancing back to see if her father was there. "Well... I guess he might think it's alright. Maybe you could speak to him?"
Unread 16th of February, 2008, 10:08
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Seraph looked behind Shayliss to spot the old man. Get the old man to give her a break, have some fun, get laid, of course I'm gonna do it! His thoughts screamed inside his skull, but he smiled back to Shayliss and talked pleasantly.

"Sure, I'll talk to him." With that, Seraph got up and dusted off his armor for a moment, then walking over to Shayliss's father, standing near the tents.

"Mister....!" Seraph shouted a salutation to Shayliss' father before realizing he didn't know his name. He glanced back to Shayliss, whispering "What's his name?"

Last edited by LeadPal; 16th of February, 2008 at 10:13. Reason: tense shifts, curse you!
Unread 16th of February, 2008, 10:26
LeadPal

"Mister Vinder," she said. "Mister Ven Vinder."

Seraph winced unconsciously when he recognized the name. Ven Vinder, owner of the local general store, and a notorious curmudgeon. Seraph had an unpleasant enough experience with the man just buying iron rations from him a few weeks ago; how could he possibly be Shayliss' father?

"Mmm?" The man turned around to take stock of the person who'd called him. "You're... what are you doing behind the tables, lad? Go on, pie's back there."

"Father, this is Mister Seraph," Shayliss said in a quick, breathless tone. "He wants to go to the festival with me, and I'd very much like to. Please?"

"Hmph. And why's this?" As his face drawed close, Seraph briefly wondered how the same blue eyes and straight nose that looked so attractive on Shayliss could look so coarse on her father. Despite the close scrutiny, Vin didn't seem to recognize him. "What've you in mind, eh? Mmm?"
Unread 16th of February, 2008, 11:44
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

I would like to fuck your daughter. Seraphs thoughts blazed across his mind and his face winced for a moment, but he recovered his composure and smiled again. He always seemed to be smiling today, which struck him as odd considering how many other bad days he's had this week. Month. Year.

Lifetime.

"Oh nothing too extravagant. I was wondering if I could court her to play some of the games and get some dinner, maybe even seeing a show or something along the way but I wanted to check and make sure it was alright with you first, sir. We wouldn't be out late sir and she could be back to help with the pies within two or three hours." Seraph paused, waiting to see the mans reaction before continuing.

"Umm, and if you let her go I'd even be willing to help you out here to help make up for lost time!"
Unread 17th of February, 2008, 08:46
LeadPal

"I'm sure," he replied, with clear suspicion in his tone. "I'd think you've best just find another to go with. We've work to do."

Shayliss' eyes widened, and in a burst she yelled "No! Father, why do you always do this to me! You're so unfair!"

Surprised, Ven had barely begun to explain when she started up again. "You're always saying that you won't allow this or that and it's not fair! This is my only chance to really have fun in the entire year and just like the last time you won't let me!"

"But, Shayliss, we've--"

"And now you're being rude to this nice man I just met who's even trying to help us! You just don't like anyone I meet because you want me to be unhappy, isn't it! Isn't it!"

"I... fine, fine!"

"And you're just going--"

"Fine!" he yelled. "Yes, you can go tonight, if the lad works here for the day--and does a good job! Then we'll see to it!"

"...oh." Shayliss grinned devilishly. "Thank you father."

"Yes, yes..."
Unread 19th of February, 2008, 09:17
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Seraph moved over to sit near Shayliss. He arched his head to the side and looked at Shayliss, she really was beautiful. Not a sort of advertising scheme beautiful that he'd seen in Riddleport or a street-corner girl kind either, a sort of natural beauty that he immensely enjoyed. Maybe it didn't need to just be sex.

Where had he heard himself thinking this before? Seraph removed the thoughts from his mind and spoke softly to Shayliss.

"That was pretty good..." He looked back to make sure her father wasn't looking, he didn't want to get yelled at for slacking off ten seconds after coming into employment and Mr. Vinder seemed to be a bit of a hard ass.

"So...you make pies?"
Unread 19th of February, 2008, 09:46
LeadPal

"Oh, no." Shayliss tilted her head nearer. "My mother does all the baking. I'm just here to serve it. Father doesn't like me doing much other work... he just has me help out in the shop sometimes, and I always feel so unhelpful."

Although she turned to serve a woman approaching the tables, her attention was still firmly on Seraph. "What do you do, Seraph? I haven't seen you in the town..."
Unread 26th of February, 2008, 08:48
LeadPal

"...well, I'm new around here," he replied. "Came into town to work at the Rusty Dragon, and doin' pretty well for myself, too. A year ago, maybe."

"Oh... where did you come from?" She handed a slice of pie to the woman and turned back towards him, waiting patiently for an answer. The question was completely innocent, but Seraph despised it all the same. He hated to even think about his past; he sure as hell wasn't going to talk about it, whether it got him under her dress or not.

"...Magnimar." He didn't look at her when he answered, instead concerning himself with another customer. "Lived there before I came. You've, ah... ever been to Magnimar?"

"Hmph... no." She shot a nasty glare back at the tent; her father had gone back inside for more pies. "Well... I suppose 'yes', but it hardly matters. We went there a few years ago, but it was an awful trip. I hardly got to see any of the monuments, because Father was so busy going off and gathering things for his shop, and ignoring us. He's terrible, always."

Shayliss spent the next few minutes complaining in great detail, before asking Seraph what he knew about the monuments. He tried his best to cover everything he could remember: the mosaics, the statuary, the Arvensoar, the Irespan; but he was far less knowledgeable about them than he posed. His time in Magnimar was not so casually spent as her's.

They served what few customers were interested in them, and the time flew by almost instantly: He trying hard to impress Shayliss, she taken entirely by his words, Ven seeming content with the work being done, and all the while him growing more and more pleased with the day. With his lot. With his life.

It didn't last.

It was still early in the afternoon when he came to the table, a lanky man in unwashed, vibrant finery: Jubrayl Vhiski. He rustled his bright blue cloak back and lightly tapped his sandy cane on the table to bring Seraph's attention away from Shayliss and onto himself.

"Ahh, Seraph, we been looking all over town for you. Ameiko said you had the day off--should'a known you'd spend it with a lady-friend, eh?"

Seraph didn't like Jubrayl. Anyone else so unkempt would have seemed pathetic, but Jubrayl somehow held a air of self-satisfaction that was slightly disturbing, almost diabolical; there was a little-questioned rumour around the town that Jubrayl was the ringleader of the local Sczarni, and Seraph knew it was true. The man was foul reminder of the gang--of Riddleport, and of his past.

"So, Seraph? What's the name of the lass? Didn' know you knew anyone--but then it's been a few months since I saw you, hasn' it? Eh?" He scratched his ragged beard and smirked at Shayliss, who fell silent and turned to Seraph.
Unread 27th of February, 2008, 10:16
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Seraph smiled coyly at Jubrayl and then turned to Shayliss, "It's about time we get out of here, it's almost dark! Why don't you go tell your father we're gonna head out for me while I have a little talk with my friend here."

"I... well, alright." Shayliss left without protest, turning back into the tents, Seraph admiring her backside as she did.

Seraph cursed himself internally for calling anyone so arrogant and obnoxious as Jubrayl a 'friend'. Seraph had had friends before...a friend...but no matter what, Jubrayl wasn't friendly. Seraph wouldn't let that ruin his day though.

"What do you want Jubrayl? Can't you see I'm busy here?" Seraph stood up as he started talking and moved closer to the unkempt man before him so other parties wouldn't hear their conversing.

Last edited by LeadPal; 27th of February, 2008 at 10:32. Reason: Figured Shayliss might as well respond within your post.
Unread 27th of February, 2008, 10:47
LeadPal

"Ahh, of course. Pies, is it? I think I'd like some." He stepped back to twirl his cane backwards twice, then whipped it back down to lightly rap the table twice more, a hair's breadth from a slice. "I want... that one."

He slid it over to himself with the cane, before moving to business. "So, Seraph--or, Kad? Whichever you like--I've got to ask you a little favour. For a friend of mine, really..."

His smirk grew ever more devilish. "See, he's a pious guy, much like m'self, but, see, he's sort of... well, shy, eh? He was hoping he could go and see the new cathedral, but, ah... he doesn't want to go in there if it's so busy. It ah... see, he doesn't really care for it..."

Jubrayl broke eye contact, but not his grin. He shuffled through a pocket in his cloak to draw a small burlap pouch, which he slid on the table towards Seraph. "So... if you could just keep around the church, say at... sunset? Yes, sunset... and make sure that there aren't too many people bein' a bother? Well, he'd appreciate it." He poked at the pouch with his cane. "And so'd the 'pothecary."

Seraph hesitantly looked inside the pouch, where he would it was full of coarsely chopped, grey devilweed. Some smoked the weed by itself, but not him: what he got from the apothecary was always laced with opium.

Do I ever have any choice? He wanted to say, and its what his expression said. But his lips formed the single word "Fine."

"Good," Jubrayl answered back, before he thrust a free hand into his slice of pie to take a taste. "Pie's good," he said, after licking his hand clean and wiping a bit of excess on his greasy trousers. He turned away to look at the patrons of the other tables; Seraph wished dearly that the scoundrel would simply leave without comment. Unfortunately, he didn't.

"Shame, but I think Ameiko's dish was better... say, how about we see what they think, eh?"

Jubrayl waved his cane towards two large, armoured guardsmen who had just arrived. The first was the sheriff, Belor Hemlock, whom Seraph knew only by reputation. But the second, although unfamiliar to him, would later prove to be the more important. He was Alde Scarnetti.

Last edited by LeadPal; 7th of March, 2008 at 07:42.
Unread 28th of February, 2008, 06:47
LeadPal

Only a few minutes earlier, Alde had felt terrible. He had spent the entire day regretting the parade he was so excited for: he had been practicing marching for weeks to prepare. He couldn't keep in step very well, but Belor said that his sword drills were excellent, and that he could stand in front of the guards alone.

But they cancelled it, and Alde didn't know why. Belor said there wasn't enough interest from anyone--but why? Alde was interested... wasn't his interest enough?

He sighed heavily. Alde was large and strong, even more so than his father; in fact, he was a little bit taller than even Belor, and he had heard other people say that Belor was very tall. But Alde wasn't very smart, and there were many things in the world that he couldn't understand. He tried his best to understand them; he really did. But he couldn't, and he often worried if it was somehow his fault.

Belor said that he'd make it up to him, and there'd be something for him even better than the parade, that he'd discover after meeting him back at the garrison after the speeches. The speeches were over now, but Alde didn't want to go alone; he sometimes got lost in the town, and didn't want to risk it on such a busy day. So he had asked his father to take him there.

But while he agreed with a sigh, when he encountered Mister Valdemar on the way, it seemed that he wasn't going to after all.

"Goddamnit, Ethram, I'm warning you..."

"Warning me of what, Titus!? You don't have any power over my family any more, so you can quit your damn threats!"

Titus Scarnetti was well into his fifties, and his once muscular frame was growing soft in his age, but to those who knew him he seemed more fearsome than ever. His harsh, imperious glare had only hardened over time, to an extent that few men (and certainly not Alde) could look him in the eye. His simple black attire clung tightly to him as he waved his worn yew staff menacingly; Alde had been beaten with that staff many times in his childhood, and even now he cringed at the sight of it.

Ethram Valdemar, however, was not so easily intimidated. Despite being shorter and slighter, showing more of his slightly lesser age in his bald head and tired expression, he seemed determined to stand up to Titus... something that Alde wasn't sure he'd ever seen before.

"I've already made the arrangements," Ethram added mockingly. "Your damn little lumber mill can't cut us off any longer--we're importing all of it now."

Titus clutched his staff, white-knuckled with rage. Alde was certain he was going to hit Valdemar, as he used to hit him... but he didn't.

"You bastard."

Ethram stepped back, no longer interested in the argument. "Yeah, bullshit. You're the bastard, the way you've abused our family with the shit you've tried to pull. Now I'm back in charge." He spat on the ground before finishing. "I'm gonna run you into the ground."

Titus said nothing as Ethram walked away, towards the food tables. Alde didn't understand much, but he certainly understood that no good could come of this.

He waited a minute before talking. He wasn't sure if he could get his father to listen to him now, but he wanted to know what Belor had that was better than the parade. What could be better than the parade?
In the end, his curiosity overcame his fear.

He knew his father only respected strength, so Alde tried to draw himself up tall (hard around his father, especially with him being so angry and still holding the yew staff), and looked Titus in the chest (which was about as good as he could do, not being able to meet his father's eyes) and said, "Father? We go to see Belor now? He's waiting for me." Alde's voice quivered a little at the end, fearing that his statement might just draw the wrath of his father to himself, but he just had to ask.

His father leered at him, and Alde knew that he was right to fear. "Should I drag your ass everywhere, Alde? Just find the goddamned place yourself!" He waved his staff in a broad arc towards a nearby street. "Go down there and by Abadar, remember where the damn place is. Alright!?"

He glanced around himself, realizing that his loud argument with Ethram had attracted several distant onlookers. "And fix your fucking hair while you're there! What do you want this town to think of the Scarnettis? Eh?"

The irony was lost on Alde. Slamming his staff into a nearby rock with a hideous, reverberating crack, Titus stormed away, swearing at and venting rage on anyone who approached him.

Alde quickly dropped his head. A tear appeared in one eye and he was obviously scared. He could never handle it well when his father was mad and yelled at him, especially when he was holding that staff, and this day was no different.

He watched his father as he stormed off and prayed that he didn't turn around; he probably would have gotten a beating if his father had seen him there like that. Once he lost sight of his father he relaxed a little, then remembering with sudden excitement that he was supposed to see Belor.

He quickly looked in the direction that his father had pointed and tried to remember the name of the street he had said. He was so nervous and flustered, and glad that his father hadn't hit him, that he had a hard time drawing up the name. Abalar, Abaday, Abelene... no, Abadar!

He went out to the first street, excited that he had remembered the name, then remembered he could not read anything except his own name. He was disheartened, but then started to look around to see if maybe he could remember some landmark, something that would point him in the direction of the garrison. Spotting a building he thought he recognized, he walked towards it. When reached it, he paused for a moment, realizing that it was the wrong one--but he was close.

His mother had said that this was the "Town Hall", where the mayor lived (or did she say it just where she went to work?), and warned him not to confuse it with the garrison. After a moment, he raced around onto the next street, to the building across from it. He knew immediately that he had found the right one when he saw Belor wave towards him.

"Hello, Alde." Belor was usually taciturn, except when he was giving orders or training the guards, but he was a bit friendlier towards Alde; his brother Courrin once said that they were alike in some ways. It made his father very angry to hear that, though... Alde never found out why.

"Hello Belor!" Alde said as he waved happily at Belor's greating, then quickly changed his hand wave to a salute with a slightly worried look on his face.

"Let's go get something to eat at the tables," Belor said. "How are you feeling about the parade?"

Alde slouched a little and just shrugged. He was pretty excited about the parade, and was bummed that it didn't happen, but he still wanted to know what Belor had in store for him, so he followed him over to the tables to see what was there to eat.

Last edited by LeadPal; 7th of March, 2008 at 07:47.
Unread 7th of March, 2008, 08:39
LeadPal

Once there, the pair found the tables much emptier than expected. Several of them, belonging to smaller operations like the local bakery or old Risa's tavern, were already empty, their owners deciding to finish cooking and begin cleaning early. Many others no longer kept dishes on display, only preparing them on demand. It took a few minutes before they decided to try a large bowl of mostly-fresh chowder--and before the serving girl returned, Jubrayl approached them from the next table over.

"What a wonderful day, sheriff," he said. "Had much to eat?"

"Jubrayl." Belor grimaced immediately upon hearing the insincere voice, and tapped Alde on the shoulder to bring his attention upon him. "No, we just arrived. You." Belor's deep voice was flat as he spoke.

"Ohhh, you missed the cinnamon rolls," Jubrayl answered, contrasting the sheriff's tense stance with dynamism. "But there's still the ginger salmon you could try. And my friend here, he's got pie. Solsta Vinder's, I think."

"Your friend." Belor tilted his head to see Seraph, who was disgusted at the association. If the sheriff cared, it didn't show. "Never seen him. He's new in town, then?"

"Just got here recently, he did. Don't know if he knows what's in town--the good taverns, or the Pixie, or the better st--"

"The Pixie," Belor interrupted, struggling to hold back a wicked smile. "I've heard that you've been spending a lot of time there lately."

The attack hardly fazed Jubrayl. "Yes, you, heard, about that." He snorted. "Well, of course. Why shouldn't I? The girls are very good at what they do, after all. Particularly... Lady Kaye."

His composure broken, Belor balled one hand into a fist as he struggled to hide his shock. Jubrayl's comment had gotten under his skin.

"Well, I'll leave you to your chowder." Jubrayl smiled at Alde before walking away--though he quickly spun around with an "Oh!" to add something he had forgotten. "Be certain to stay until tonight. The celebration will have fireworks--I bet none of you'll ever see anything so amazing. Enjoy!"

Twirling his cane and whistling a jaunty tune, Jubrayl wandered off, leaving Belor to his discontentment.
Unread 12th of March, 2008, 08:32
Benicus
Brain in a Jar [Epic GM]

Seraph hadn't noticed that his hands had balled up into fists and that his fists were white as snow because he was putting too much pressure on them before he saw the opium. It's not like he didn't know what was going to be in the bag, but it still surprised him. Seraph pocketed it quietly while he waited for Shayliss to return. He hoped that she would return soon.

When Belor and his big friend showed up Seraph didn't much care. He still was more interested in his lady friend then some slow mongrel and his sheriff friend, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to be polite.

"Sheriff." Seraph said pointing to a chair, "How's it going?"
Unread 12th of March, 2008, 09:28
Xaden
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #1668
First father, now Belor. Alde thought to himself, Everyone's so angry. He wanted to say something, but didn't know what, he was hoping that Belor's anger would pass now that Jubrayl had left. Then he turned his head sharply as Jubrayl's "friend" spoke, as if he hadn't noticed his presence until then. He was so sharply fixed on Belor to see what he'd do next that this man's innocent question shocked him back into reality.

Then, regaining himself, he pulled out the chair for Belor in hopes that once he sat down he'd calm down again, and just maybe tell him what would be better than the parade. Though the pies looked nice to him.
Closed Thread