Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 14th of November, 2006, 14:02
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Chapter 5, Scene 5 Zhi Yi Province

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 5 Zhi Yi Province

Setting: ZhiYi Province, 40 miles West and 20 miles North of Shan Mountain, 10th Morning of Midsummer, 300th Year of the Monkey

The cavaliers of the Five Martyrs clan shrug when Gizerak asks them about the village. “Nothing special about it, I suppose” says one dismissively.

The cavaliers set off to continue their patrol along the border. The henchmen descend the trail that hugs the canyon wall. Watching them descend, the lone guard at the fording point is amazed by the golem and the strange racial mixture of the group. Rather than confront them, he simply turns on his heel and bolts back across the stream, announcing the approach of strangers. Their appearance drew only some curious glances in the more cosmopolitan provinces, but out here it seems that any news is big news.

By the time that they have reached the ford, a squad of militia are approaching through the village, still buckling on their armor. Behind them is a group of officials, and behind the officials is a large crowd of gawkers.

“Welcome to SanSe ZiLuoLan Village,” says the official in the middle, wearing fine silk robes that appear quite delicate. His colorful appearance and courtly bearing are in stark contrast to the rest of the village, which is well-worn and rustic. “I am the chieftain here.”

The chieftain appears to be in his early twenties. Usually chieftains gain their office in middle age, but it occasionally happens that one inherits the title earlier if misfortune falls on his grandfather and father.

“You are much more interesting than the boring people one normally sees in this boring village. You must join me for a meal and tell me all about yourselves. I am quite well read so I recognize gnomes..” he says, indicating Gizerak, Linus, and Nimdor, “…and elves..” he nods towards Kierna, “...but your tribe I cannot place, Dark Giant!” He exclaims, apparently addressing the golem. “Come! Follow me to my garden.”



OOC:
Jiangu 5,5 (1d20=8, 1d20=14, 1d20=6, 1d20=10, 1d20=9, 1d20=17, 1d20=15, 1d20=12, 1d20=20, 1d20=2, 1d20=2, 1d20=11, 1d20=7, 1d20=19, 1d20=2, 1d20=19, 1d20=12, 1d20=16, 1d20=13, 1d20=19)

Gizerak gather information roll 8+mods

Ten militiamen with handaxes and javelins, wearing leather armor and large wooden shields CR 0.5. One corporal with studded leather, a large wooden shield and a battleaxe CR1. One sergeant with a chain shirt and long sword CR2. Two officials CR1. Chieftain CR3.
  #2  
Unread 14th of November, 2006, 14:10
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj appears emotionless at the arrival to the new town, it's just another of the many they've encountered, however, he keeps an eye open, one because he is inherently suspicious at the juxtaposition of the nice clothing in the small town.
  #3  
Unread 14th of November, 2006, 14:17
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
"Good sir, thank you for your hospitality. I would however, like to inform you, that we are not in fact gnomes. We are instead halflings."
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #4  
Unread 14th of November, 2006, 23:07
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
Wonderful thinks Linus. Insult the town chieftain by correcting him, that'll do wonders for how we're received. Linus keeps his thoughts to himself, and follows along.
  #5  
Unread 15th of November, 2006, 01:08
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.62 per day)
Kierna smiles, hoping that Nimdor's correction won't cause problems.

"Thank you for your hospitable offer. We would be delighted to see your garden."
  #6  
Unread 15th of November, 2006, 09:55
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
By the gods! If we have to stop and dine with every village chieften between here and CaoYuan, we'll never get there! Even a poper map wouldn't be worth the delay that a formal lunch reception would impose.

Really wanting to politely decline the chieftan's offer of hospitality, Fugen is forced to go along with it after Kierna accepts. Bowing polietly, he waits for the chieftan to lead the way.

Let's make this as short as possible and the minute we get away from here I'm going to have to have a word with everyone about priorities.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #7  
Unread 15th of November, 2006, 13:43
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:1 Alone in the Garden

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 5:1 Alone in the Garden

The chieftain smiles when Nimdor corrects him. “You seek to jest me! It is well known that gnomes enjoy jests. Yet you can’t fool me. I am quite certain, mister gnome. I look forward to learning more about all of you over tea.”

One of the other officials makes eye contact with Nimdor and shakes his head with an ironic expression, silently advising him that there is no point in continuing the debate.

They follow the entourage to the clan hall. It is not lavish, but well maintained. An official guides them to the garden courtyard within the compound and invites them to sit. The chieftain has disappeared into another part of the building, and the rest of the entourage disperses.

The officlal bows and departs, leaving them alone in the garden. A servant and a guard, both wearing elaborate uniforms, stand at the only open entrance.

A quarter of an hour passes. The garden is tastefully arranged and quite relaxing. The tall building around the garden provides abundant shade from the morning sun.



OOC: Guard CR2. Servant CR ¼.
  #8  
Unread 15th of November, 2006, 13:57
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
His patientience worn out by the quarter hour's wait, Fugen decides to try pulling a little rank to get things moving.

Gesturing for Gizerak to come translate, he approaches the servant and requests to know the delay which was keeping the chieftain. He was gracious for the chieftain's hospitality, but as an Imperial Trusted Courier, he was not accustomed to such delays and really had to continue with his mission as soon as possible. He did not, of course, wish to offend the chieftain in any way however.

[OOC: Should it be necessary, Fugen will present his badge of office.]
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #9  
Unread 15th of November, 2006, 14:04
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
Termix was thinking the same thing before Fugen ever started signing. He does, however, hold his tongue to let Gizerak, or Linus, for that matter, to translate for the servant and guard. He knows Fugen's wisdom cannot be rivaled by many.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #10  
Unread 15th of November, 2006, 15:21
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj is his normal pragmatic self, exept for a small, almost imperseptible snort like giggle at the chiefs insistance that they are gnomes. It is so out of no where, that it's possible it didnt even happen at all, as the large warrior does not break from his stoic expresion.
  #11  
Unread 15th of November, 2006, 15:25
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.62 per day)
With a wry grin spreading on her lips, Kierna quietly mutters, "I wonder what sort of tea our gracious host will try to serve the 'dark giant'."

She regards the golem for a moment, and nearly breaks down laughing.

One look at Fugen's stern face convinces her to drop the subject.
  #12  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 00:11
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Calmly relaying Fugen's message, Gizerak adds his own thoughts.

"I agree with my companion here. We really must not tarry long. We have a long way to travel and any delay means we are longer from home."
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #13  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 02:22
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
Nimdor stifles his anger without showing, but were anyone to read his mind at that moment, they would likely be knocked out by the sheer anger going through it.

I'M NOT A GNOME! GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #14  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 03:57
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 5:2 The Clan Official Confides to the Henchmen

The servant nods and bows, then hurries off to relay their message. He quickly returns, accompanied by one of the clan officials.

The official bows and pronounces to Fugen "The Chieftain insists that you are obliged to wait as long as necessary until he is ready to receive your message."

In a lower tone the official confides "He has never received a message from the emperor before, and so he is anxious to ensure that his wardrobe is appropriate, the tea is adequate, the event is properly documented, and that you are presented with a fitting gift to thank you for bringing him the message. He is also waiting for the clan shaman to influence fate with a sacrifice so that your message will be favorable."
  #15  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 04:10
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
Nimdor exchanges a dubious glance with Linus, at the mention of a sacrifice.
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #16  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 04:23
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Suppressing a sigh, Fugen signs for Gizerak to translate that there is no message for this village. The message is for the Imperial Army in CaoYuan province, and can be delivered to no other.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #17  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 06:10
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.87 per day)
Linus exchanges the look with Nimdor, and looks to Gizerak to continue translating for Fugen. Looking about, Linus thinks for a second. He then relays to Fugen that the village elder thinks the Emperor is still in power, which is odd. Even considering the fact that the village is far from the center of the Empire, Linus is shocked to think that some people may not know about the struggles around the nation to regain power.
  #18  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 07:20
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Signing back to the courier that he plans to omit their destination from the message, lest it leave a trail for others to follow, Gizerak looks to the clan official.

"Our sincerest apologies for any misunderstanding, but unfortunately the message that my courier companion has is not destined for anyone in this village. His message is intended for a specific member of the Imperial Army and this happens to be the route that most quicly takes us to our destination."

"Again, Sha-gaat knows that we mean no disrespect to your cheiftan or your clan, and I dare say that though we must be moving on, I think my companions would be willing to stay for a brief time to enjoy a glass of tea and a small meal. But then we really must be moving on as our mission is time sensitive."

After saying this, the cleric turns to Fugen and signs to him.

I know that we must keep moving, the offer to stay may hopefully stave off any disrespect the chieftan may take from this. From his actions to date, I think he may not take kindly to misinterpretting the purpose of your presence here.


Then, after seeing Linus's sign to the courier, Gizerak waits for the clan official to leave before continuing. He quickly signs to Linus that we should be prepared to let this chieftan think that the Emperor would be displeased if we were detained in any way. No threats, just concern for our mission. We must relay this to the others.

Returning to the others, Gizerak calmly and quietly confirms with everyone that if the chieftan takes offense, that the group should make every effort to get out of this diplomatically lest we anger the whole village.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #19  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 07:21
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns at this development. This cheiften seems rather volitile and might not react well to learning the message is not for him...
  #20  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 07:51
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.39 per day)
I really MUST learn how to sign.... Termix thinks, the many messages beyond his understanding. However, he understands quite well what Gizerak calmly tells to the group once the official has left.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #21  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 10:50
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.40 per day)
Oh boy, this can't be good. What in the nine hells have I gotten myself into with this group?
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #22  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 11:47
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
5:3 Waiting on a Ruling

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 5:3 Waiting on a Ruling

The official is visibly deflated by this revelation. “Clearly we leapt to a conclusion, since no imperial courier has ever passed through our village headed elsewhere before, and we have been waiting on a ruling from the central government to settle a dispute. Perhaps we can draw some comfort from the fact that Imperial couriers are in use again? Does this must mean that the discord in the capital has been resolved?”
  #23  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 12:10
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Tread carefully here...

Shaking his head with down cast eyes to express regret, Fugen signs for Gizerak to translate that the troubles in the capital continue. Indeed, it hoped that their mission will help in its own small way to lead to their resolution.

Given the troubles, however, it is possible that the village's request for a ruling has been forgotten. While he cannot set aside his current mission, Fugen would be most willing to carry a renewed request on behalf of the village to the appropriate official as soon as the opportunity presented itself. If time was required to compose the request, then he could always pick it up on the way back from the mission to CaoYuan.

There, maybe that will allow the chieftian to save face and get us out of here without any ill will.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #24  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 12:43
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Trying to relay Fugen's feelings appropriately, Gizerak relays the message, once again not mentioning their destination in any specifics.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #25  
Unread 16th of November, 2006, 14:53
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.62 per day)
Kierna sighs unhappily.

He looks so disappointed. I wonder what the dispute is that they are trying to settle?
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren