Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Tournaments

Unread 18th of January, 2008, 11:13
SlagMortar
Wraith

Member: #1853
Originally Posted by LinkLegacy77 Complete Psionic. Basically, for 130 rounds, you gain the benefit of the stygian veil power, also found in the complete psionic.
Originally Posted by Tashalar Yes, that would most likely have won you the match. Only a psion with disintegrate would have been dangerous for a character with the shroud.
I would think a targeted dispel psionics - either on the effect or on the shroud itself - would remove the benefit at least for 1d4 rounds. Obviously it would still be a big advantage, though.

Edit: Oh, and I'll try to get my psycrystal finished here soon. I forgot I hadn't done that yet.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 12:00
SlagMortar
Wraith

Hmm. I just got a new idea, or actually, realized a way to implement an old idea that I had already thrown out. When are you planning on starting, Boom? If it is after the weekend, I can probably get up another character, though if we would rather go with a tournament of 4 characters, that's cool too. I might build it anyway to see how it would have done.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 15:11
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
Was planning to start matches around next Wednesday. If you can get it up by Monday evening I'll allow it. I think link was planning 1 more character, and then we'd have even numbers. Either way, I'm running this tournament to try to learn more about psionics, so the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 18:17
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
My Lurk is ready to compete, and he should be very dangerous.
Unread 20th of January, 2008, 00:19
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
I think my character is more or less ready now. Ready to be looked over that is.

Edit: Just had a look at your lurk, Link. That ability focus (lurk augment) is rather nifty. I'm not going to take it since I did not think of it myself (even though I could easily drop weapon finesse or lurk, ranged as feats). Let's get this started.

Last edited by Tashalar; 20th of January, 2008 at 00:29.
Unread 22nd of January, 2008, 08:23
SlagMortar
Wraith

Alright, my second character is up. It didn't work out quite as well as I had hoped due mostly to some nasty multi-attribute dependency. I really needed psionic meditation and the 13 Wis pre-req was annoying. Oh well, we'll see how Timmy does. He will certainly take Lilith apart at the seems if the two should fight.
Unread 22nd of January, 2008, 13:21
Linklegacy77

Both of my characters are complete. I anticipate that they will both be very strong competitors.
Unread 23rd of January, 2008, 03:13
Tashalar

One... more... day. *drum roll*

I guess we can wait a little longer if you need some time to check the characters though, Boom.
Unread 23rd of January, 2008, 04:07
Boomlaor
Devourer

I should be checking them tonight after work and, assuming no major changes need to be made, will try to post up some fights tommorow night.
Unread 23rd of January, 2008, 19:26
Tashalar

Even though the pairings should be random, I'm in favor of not letting Slag's and Link's characters fight each other in the first match - it's simply bothersome and less fun I guess.

Have you decided on what style of tournament we'll do? Maybe double elimination in favor of single (which is too quick/short) or round robin (which might take too long)?

On the other hand... round robin would mean there are 15 matches to play out. Maybe a final one if there's a tie in the end. Considering that the matches might take not much time at all, this might be a possibility.

My bet is that at least half the matches won't get to round 4.
Unread 24th of January, 2008, 04:31
Linklegacy77

Hey Tashalar, which of my characters would you prefer to fight and why?
Unread 24th of January, 2008, 08:06
Tashalar

I must admit that all my attention has been focussed on the CR Challenge so far and I only took a good look at your lurk. I'd guess that if my lurk wins initiative and your lurk fails his save, my lurk wins - but otherwise bets are on yours. Odds in favor of yours as well I guess.

As I said, I still have to take a good look at your other character - maybe I'll do that tomorrow unless I get to face him. Might be interesting when I don't know much about him. Might also be fatal in any case. We'll see.
Unread 24th of January, 2008, 15:26
Boomlaor
Devourer

Still going through characters, sorry guys, I won't get matches posted tonight. I'll do my best to finish up and get them up tomorrow. I'm leaning toward doing a round robin since we only have 6, a double elimination would be a nightmare of byes and such.
Unread 24th of January, 2008, 18:56
Tashalar

Okay, round robin it is... so I can expect my character to last for at least 5 matches!!
Unread 25th of January, 2008, 17:05
Boomlaor
Devourer

Right, so mapping software has just leveled to about at least lvl 17 by kicking my ass. The arena will now be a 100' square instead of a 100' circle, hope that doesn't throw anyone off too bad. First matches to be posted shortly.

Edit: Son of a....

The arena will now be a 105' square since that's what I drew and didn't realize it 'till I labeled it and don't feel like wrestling with the computer any more.

Edit 2: I realized that a rule change is needed because of the change in format. Since this is a round robin, deaths will need to be dealt with. The losing combatant in each fight, if killed, will be raised by clerics. The spell used to do so will be determined by d% roll. 1-75 will result in Resurection, 76-100 will result in your owner spending the big bucks for True Resurection.

Last edited by Boomlaor; 25th of January, 2008 at 17:26.
Unread 25th of January, 2008, 18:55
Tashalar

Lol.... "Mapping softwar... TEN! ... Boomlaor... ZEROOOOO!"

Thanks for putting in the effort and actually managing to start this before the weekend, Boom!

And... yay, Jéjé won initiative (surprise, surprise...)... let's see if he manages to stun Varla.

Edit: Just had a good look at Jéjé again - if he rolls a 'natural one' on his attack, he'll use his luck sword to reroll the attack.

Edit2: AC for the round actually is 21 due to the haste effect. If Varla makes her save and uses a psionic power on Jéjé, please do not roll his save immediately but instead roll if he recognizes the power first and tell me. That way I can decide whether he'd use the power of the luck blade and under which circumstances.

Edit3: Whups, rolled one d6 too much for damage. Deal with it as you see fit, Mr. Boom-DM!

Last edited by Tashalar; 25th of January, 2008 at 20:39.
Unread 25th of January, 2008, 22:13
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Member: #1477
Since Varla is flat-footed I assume she can not use even immediate powers? How about her racial abilities? +4 to saves would probably be handy.
Unread 25th of January, 2008, 22:16
Tashalar

Nope, nothing IIRC...

I think you already have a vest of resistance +3? Or was that another character...

In any case... elan resistance is an immediate action as well IIRC - so that's a no-no as well.

Maybe that's the first thing we're learning from this tournament - that the opponents should not start out flat-footed.
Unread 25th of January, 2008, 22:20
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Yes, it is an immediate action. 1 PP for +4 racial bonus to saves for 1 round. Should stack with just about anything. Would have been really nice if I could use it.
Unread 25th of January, 2008, 22:25
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Heh, looks like Jéjé might be in trouble.
Unread 25th of January, 2008, 22:25
Tashalar

Woah - you're right! It is a racial bonus... I thought it was a resistance bonus - that is rather nifty!

Eliminating the flat-footed status would make winning initiative less decisive and might prolong fights... I'd be in favor of it - generally speaking. On the other hand my lurk was built with exactly this in mind - win initiative and then do evul stuff to people who cannot react in any way due to being flatfooted.

Edit: Oh, you lucky one, you!
Unread 25th of January, 2008, 22:44
Tashalar

Oh, LT - you can post whatever psionic power you'll use if you use one... just checked and Jéjé's psicraft score is high enough to figure out what Varla is doing in any case.

On the reroll... now that it's getting important... it's difficult not to metagame here. Stupid thing is that a reroll is entirely OOC in the first place.

Just off the top of my head (am about to leave):
How about we figure out the exact roll Jéjé would need to save against whatever comes his way. Then I (or whoever) rolls a d6 with the following results...
1: 3 below the optimal reroll choice
2: 2 below the optimal reroll choice
3: 1 ...
4: 1 above
5: 2 above
6: 3 above...

As I said... that's off the top of my head. Thoughts?
Unread 26th of January, 2008, 02:56
Boomlaor
Devourer

Maybe I'm missing something. I don't think that Jeje can reach I-2 though. A hasted charge gives him a move of 90', which gets him to I-3, 10' away from Varla, doesn't it?
Unread 26th of January, 2008, 02:58
Tashalar

Nope, haste means +30 movement => 60 feet. A charge is a full-round action where you make a double move and then attack.

That was his plan all along - win initiative, charge, stun (or use mental assault or something else) to win the day.

Last edited by Tashalar; 26th of January, 2008 at 03:01.
Unread 26th of January, 2008, 03:03
Boomlaor
Devourer

I always get confused with how things stack. Doubling twice = trippling, and all that. Carry on.