Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Tournaments

Unread 11th of January, 2008, 20:29
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
And I have... even though I won't make another. I'm just not in the mood currently and I failed to discover some concept which stands a chance while being fun.

I really get the feeling that whoever goes first will likely win. Slag's Ego Whip will win the day against most contestants, LT's cloud mind or another power will as well - and I'm sure Link's characters will all have For/Will powers which will just smother our characters (as none of them will have both good For and Will saves). If my character goes first and manages to stun the opponent, then game's more or less over as well, I'd say.

Hrhm... it's too... I don't know.

Btw - my second character was going to be a cerebremancer. Maybe I'll still do it if my motivation picks up again - I don't think this tournament will need as much work as the gladiator one as it will be over rather quickly.
Unread 12th of January, 2008, 06:46
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Member: #1477
Is Lurk from Complete: Psionic? I don't have that book.

There will definitely be some "save or die" situations going on, but I don't know that I will be one of them. Cloud Mind is cool, but I couldn't find any good way of really increasing the save DC.

My Shadowmind does have a pretty good Initiative and has balanced defensive and offensive capabilities, which would be great in a normal campaign, but in this case I see myself losing to someone that focused on one thing and enhanced that one thing to ridiculous levels. However, there is still a chance, usually those characters work great until someone gets a lucky save, then they have nothing else they can do and go down quick.
Unread 12th of January, 2008, 14:25
SlagMortar
Wraith

Member: #1853
Well, I posted Lilith. I can't decide whether to keep the focus on Dex or to just concede initiative and focus on Cha.

Now I need to start writing some insults. You know, just in case I'm not killed in the first match before getting an action. Ego Whip just isn't as cool if it doesn't come with some good, demoralizing insults.
Unread 12th of January, 2008, 19:08
Tashalar

Is Lurk from Complete: Psionic? I don't have that book.
Yeah, it is.

Ego Whip just isn't as cool if it doesn't come with some good, demoralizing insults.
Yay for insults!!

As to Ini vs. Cha... no idea, really. In the current setup you forget some bonus for the psicrystal affinity though. I don't think you stand much of a chance at winning Ini vs. the lurks in the first place - but you might do nicely vs. the other non-lurks, so... hrhm. *shrug*
Unread 13th of January, 2008, 21:08
Tashalar

I have to travel for the upcoming three days (work) and don't know whether or not I'll have internet access. Will try to finish my character in-between some time.
Unread 16th of January, 2008, 09:35
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Member: #1477
Finished with my character.

So far only 3 participants, all with a high Initiative modifier. This could be a quick tournament.
Unread 17th of January, 2008, 07:01
Tashalar

I'm back. Did not have online access at all for three days - which is something entirely rare for me.

Link is still going to enter his characters I guess? Then we'd have five.
Unread 17th of January, 2008, 09:37
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
I hope so, although I haven't heard from him. If it is just you 3, would you prefer to do a round robin tournament instead of standard single elimination?
Unread 17th of January, 2008, 15:09
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
I will have them in on time.
Unread 17th of January, 2008, 17:53
Tashalar

Even with 5 characters we could make it double elimination, really. Maybe not round robin though. I'm open for everything.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 01:47
SlagMortar
Wraith

Member: #1853
I'd love to play any matches Boomlaor wants to run. I don't think any of the matches are going to last for very long.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 04:32
Linklegacy77

Combatants may not have any active effects at the commencement of a fight, although weapons with an enchantment which causes extra dice of damage may be active or not at the beginning of a fight at the combatant's option.

Does this apply to other magical items? Say I was wearing a belt of giant strength. That's an active effect, do I have to put that on after I enter the battle?

If it's an item with a time limit (long time limit, say, 130 rounds), could I have put that on before entering the battle?
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 05:10
Tashalar

Boom has the final say, obviously - here's my take:

Flaming, frost, shocking, animated and all such abilities are active and do not have to be turned on.
A belt of giant strength never has to be turned on - which means that it is active.

An item which grants an ability for a certain number of rounds (no matter if 10 or 1000) does have to be turned on. If they do not have to be activated, then all and everything should be allowed as active. And if that were the case, then LT, Slag and I would probably also find a few nifty items with nice effects to have with all the money we can spend.

Uh... yeah.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 05:14
Linklegacy77

What if the method of activating the item is to wear it?
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 05:45
Tashalar

Well, I'd say that items which have to be activated - even if they use-activated - should be off at the beginning of the match. Otherwise that would open a whole lot of possibilities (I guess) - just thinking of skins here.

There really would be no reason not to put something on just one round before the match in that case - and we don't have preparation rounds. If an item effect lasts a whole day that might be another thing though. One could easily argue that one activates it each day - and such an effect would also not be very powerful.

Just my 2,5 coppers.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 05:47
Linklegacy77

Well, I'm just considering that the example he has up suggests that it's okay to have magical item effects in place before a match, so I'm attempting to figure out the limits.

But the skins are a good example.

It takes a standard action to put on the skin, but once it is on, it is in effect. Like any other magical item, you put it on, and it gives you the bonus. But what if you had an item, like the skin, that only gave you the bonus for a limited amount of time each day? You still wear the item to receive the bonus, so it should function the same as the other magical items that you wear, like bracers of armor. You put them on, you get the bonus, until time wears out. Would the rules prohibit you from putting on your gear right before entering the arena?

Last edited by Linklegacy77; 18th of January, 2008 at 05:55.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 06:01
Tashalar

Hm... I'm not sure I get what kind of item you mean, Link.

Take the boots of speed for example - you need to wear them for them to function, obviously. Then it's a free action to activate them. But that doesn't really help the case, hm?

For consistency's sake I'd say that it should not work as that could open a can of worms, really. On the other hand I am unsure as to what items there are that do exactly what you describe. If you want to keep it secret, I'd say just PM it to Boom and let him decide. If he clarifies a ruling or makes a new ruling, he can still inform the rest of us about it afterwards.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 06:06
Linklegacy77

Okay, I'll make an item up.

Let's say we have an item that gives a +1 bonus on attack rolls. You have the bonus as long as you wear it, but the effect stops after you've been wearing it for 1 minute. The item can only be activated once a day.

Well, would you be allowed to put this on before the battle started as part of your gear, or would you have to spend an action during the fight to put it on?

What if the items duration is such that there is no way the match could possibly be expected to last that length? (like 100 rounds)
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 06:09
Tashalar

Hrhm... yeah, I get your point. I'd still be against allowing it as you would actually 'do something' before the match which would effectively influence the match - even if it's only putting something on.

I'd be willing to accept a different ruling though.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 06:13
Linklegacy77

It doesn't really matter, because the item I was considering is illegal for another reason: it mimics an 8th level power.

Look up the shroud of oblivion, and tell me it wouldn't have won you the tournament.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 06:18
Tashalar

Where can it be found? It does 'sound' evul already though...
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 06:23
Linklegacy77

Complete Psionic. Basically, for 130 rounds, you gain the benefit of the stygian veil power, also found in the complete psionic.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 06:40
Tashalar

Yes, that would most likely have won you the match. Only a psion with disintegrate would have been dangerous for a character with the shroud.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 09:50
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
You could not have that item active before the battle started.

"To activate a shroud it must be pulled over the head of a psionic creature and 4 power points must be expended, all as a standard action."

Taking this action (spending PPs as you don the item) creates an effect. Merely wearing it is not enough, therefore it is different from a belt of giant strength. Any item which requires more than merely wearing it to activate an effect may not be active beforehand, with the exception of the weapons with extra dice of damage as previously named.
Unread 18th of January, 2008, 10:10
Linklegacy77

Again, not that it matters, as it's an illegal item.

But assuming I won initiative (not that hard, as I've come up with a few methods to beat Tashalar's 18), it would have been an almost guarenteed victory, as it defeats pretty much everybody elses methods to win.

Anyway, I'm working on my first entry. How do you like my concept for a paladin lurk?