Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Tournaments

Unread 16th of December, 2007, 00:58
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
Congo Ratz, Tashalar!
Honestly, I wouldn't have figured that Spikey would have been in the final elimination. So this has definately been a learning experience for me as well. I did figure Rakesh would be there and also thought that some of the end competitors would have been our flying halfling friend who left us early and Gork. But things have turned out very interesting and I have learned a lot.

And I have instituted some house rules that have stemmed directly from these matches as well. Thank you, BP, for running this and thank the rest of you for participating. It has been a great match.

Honestly, I'd like to see a match between Coravel and Spikey but I don't want to extend anything longer than needs be so I'm going to sideline for a while and see what others think.
Unread 16th of December, 2007, 01:27
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Thanks, Lune.

Honestly, I'd like to see a match between Coravel and Spikey but I don't want to extend anything longer than needs be so I'm going to sideline for a while and see what others think.
Right now it's right on the 'brink' - Spikey would be Champion currently. One vote could change this though.

As I said, I'll refrain from voting for this... I do have a good idea of who would win between the two at this point, but some rolls could always change that.

Edit: Actually... I'll cheer for Rakesh. The gladiator who'd fare the best against the largest number of other gladiators imo.

Last edited by Tashalar; 16th of December, 2007 at 04:16.
Unread 16th of December, 2007, 07:20
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I thought that a Rakesh vs. Cloud fight would have been excellent. Not so much for the crowd though. Although the blood the would fly from that cloud....yikes!
Unread 16th of December, 2007, 07:57
Tashalar

Not sure if Rakesh would've waded in just like that though, Lune...

Btw - what's the next tournament going to be?

Boomlaor - you up to the task?
Unread 18th of December, 2007, 02:29
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Congrats Tash!

And let me add my thanks to BP for running the tournament.

Heh, at least my little monk had one (albeit slightly controversial) win.

Last edited by Darius; 18th of December, 2007 at 09:18.
Unread 19th of December, 2007, 00:14
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Hrm...I figured that Rakesh would have stood the best chance of wading right in out of any other gladiator. In fact, I figured it might have been one of his best strategies. He probably stood a decent chance of winning by doing so. I think that both gladiator's damage potential was so great that pretty much the first person to get in a solid hit would have won.
Unread 19th of December, 2007, 01:42
SlagMortar
Wraith

Member: #1853
Originally Posted by Lune Honestly, I wouldn't have figured that Spikey would have been in the final elimination. So this has definately been a learning experience for me as well. I did figure Rakesh would be there and also thought that some of the end competitors would have been our flying halfling friend who left us early and Gork. But things have turned out very interesting and I have learned a lot.
I definitely learned plenty, too. During character creation, I somewhat discounted Spikey because I didn't realize how high his attack bonus could get or how high the Stun DC was. His attack bonus of +15 on an unarmed strike seems pretty meh until you stack all those buff on it to get it to a respectable +23. I think Rakesh could have beat the flying halfling due to a lack of see invisibility, but I might have missed something.
Originally Posted by Lune Hrm...I figured that Rakesh would have stood the best chance of wading right in out of any other gladiator. In fact, I figured it might have been one of his best strategies. He probably stood a decent chance of winning by doing so. I think that both gladiator's damage potential was so great that pretty much the first person to get in a solid hit would have won.
My biggest concern about charging in on Cloud would be a readied trip attack. I think Cloud could easily kill Rakesh in two full attacks, and it would take Rakesh two full attacks to kill Cloud.

Rakesh's operating assumption was that Cloud was a Fighter/Barbarian with a maxed out Listen score and blindfight. With that assumption, Rakesh was going to move silently close enough to blindsense Cloud (60 ft) and ready an action to attack if Cloud charged. If Cloud did not charge, Rakesh would throw in javelins until he didn't think Cloud was readying an action. Eventually, Rakesh would probably try a spring attack with maxed expertise and fighting defensively. Then once Cloud attacked, I figured to try to escape and take to the air to shoot down arrows.

If Cloud immediately charged Rakesh from the beginning - allowing Rakesh to be the first one to get two full attacks - then Rakesh would have probably gone for a straight out fight and hoped he managed to land enough attacks.
Unread 21st of December, 2007, 20:26
Tashalar

As it stands, Spikey will remain the Champion. I was quite sure that he would remain Champion in any case since he could attack Coravel flying, concealed and otherwise buffed - and with hustle. He should easily be able to disarm the elf with his six attacks - and then Coravel has lost.

A grapple to finish it probably. It would all take a while due to Coravel's AC, but Coravel is too unflexible to hurt Spikey, really.
Unread 22nd of December, 2007, 01:28
SlagMortar
Wraith

Member: #1853
Originally Posted by Tashalar I was quite sure that he would remain Champion in any case since he could attack Coravel flying, concealed and otherwise buffed - and with hustle. He should easily be able to disarm the elf with his six attacks - and then Coravel has lost.
Only because Rakesh showed him how.

Congrats again!
Unread 22nd of December, 2007, 02:24
Tashalar

Thank you! And...

Only because Rakesh showed him how.
... absolutely correct. I thought Coravel would be invincible with his AC in the beginning.
Unread 22nd of December, 2007, 02:43
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Sorry about not closing voting on time, but I got distracted by travel. Anyway, it is now official. Spikey is the champion.
Unread 22nd of December, 2007, 17:50
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Member: #1477
Congratulations Tashalar!

How's it feel to be a winner?
Unread 23rd of December, 2007, 21:35
Tashalar

Ha! We-ell... at least it's working out better than in the sports department...

I play field hockey and we've been trying to get into the first league in Germany for... uh... ages. And we fail. Every time. It's frustrating. Not a winner in that area...

So... yeah. Spikey won. Awesome.