Member: #9086
Visitor's Forum (OOC)

Feel free to lurk and comment!
Unread 27th of July, 2011, 01:03
AbidingDude
Zombie

Member: #9299
Two questions:
1) Will the courtier slot need to be filled before you accept any 4th party schools? (ie. a Tattooed Man or a Monk) Either way, I'll be sending you a concept in a day or two. (Either a Monk, an Ise Zumi, or a Courtier).
Unread 27th of July, 2011, 01:26
Copper
Shadow [GM]

Yes. I'll be looking to take on a courtier before I consider any other possible concepts. This will ensure that the party is prepared for each challenge it encounters.
Unread 27th of July, 2011, 03:13
AbidingDude
Zombie

I'm considering my options.

As a side note on status and "common cause" parties. Having played in numerous games, I've noticed a few things:

First of all, Common Cause parties seem to fail regularly - either the reason for the cause has solved quickly, with the characters going their own way, or there was squabbling that caused a duel (and/or death), or the Common Cause was so far reaching that the entire party sees it as impossible. The only games I've seen go on for more than a few sessions either have the characters be in the same clan, or has them as part of a group together (an army, a magistrate group [Jade or Emerald usually], or some similar large-scale group).

Second, the status trait starting at 1 seems to be better seen as a guideline, and is better seen as a GM tool than something than a character's own stat (since they can't effect it on their own, other than shaving their head, renouncing their family and becoming a monk). If the GM wants the characters to be trouping about the countryside or solving mysteries or socially confronting anyone who isn't a Ronin, or peasant with status one is painfully hard. This is especially the case because if a Status 1 person, no matter how honest says "this is true" and a Status 2 says "it is not", no amount of evidence (unless the status 1 person is a kitsuki investigator) whill make the assertion true, it's just a function of status. Alternately, the Status 2 person could say "duel me", and the status 1 person would have to or concede, while the opposite is not true. For all that: Basically, if you want us to be magistrates, you can set one character's status to 4 (full magistrate) and one or two others at 2-3 (magistrate assistance), and let a couple be 1's or 0's (conscripted help). That way, the party at least has access to some authority (even if it can't be applied to command anyone or to requisition resources, status 4 would allow the lead person to challenge in duels, and otherwise have impact)...

I guess it all comes down to what style of game you're going to be making... I've just grown leery of loose common causes and status 1 PC's.

Regardless, I'm still working on a concept and will be sending it over tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by AbidingDude; 27th of July, 2011 at 03:17.
Unread 27th of July, 2011, 05:48
Copper
Shadow [GM]

I will take your points into consideration. However the campaign (as I have it penned, at least) should allow Status 1 PCs the chance to function efficiently without constantly being overshadowed by NPCs of significantly higher station. This will not always be the case, of course - there will most certainly be times when a character needs to step down or back, on the sole basis of his inferiority. Such is the way of things in Rokugan.

And on the point of separation: L5R is a game in which a party or pair of characters can quite easily split up, endeavour or meet their own challenges apart, and then come together again in the future for some reason, which can serve to strengthen their devotion and respect for one another. This is not to say that I would be habitually looking to split you all up for long periods; rather it is my saying that, if such a split were to happen naturally, then I could quite easily run short, individual stories until such a time as the characters were thrown back together at the whims of the Fortunes.

This all said, however, I will consider the option of higher Status and roles for characters. It's likely that I will stick with my own design as it stands however.
Unread 27th of July, 2011, 06:54
AbidingDude
Zombie

That's fine. I guess I also failed to consider that it is much easier to run split party activities in a pbp game than it is in real life. Thanks for at least being willing to think about it, though.

Side note: Status 4 people can still run into a lot of people above them. To quote a wise Jedi: There's always a bigger fish. (Unless one of the PC's is named Emperor... Which should probably not ever happen.)
Unread 27th of July, 2011, 07:12
Copper
Shadow [GM]

True. But also note that the vast majority of Rokugan is made up of peasants, henin, eta, ronin, etc. So even a Great Clan samurai with Status 1.0 will enjoy difference from a vast number of people.
Unread 27th of July, 2011, 11:21
AbidingDude
Zombie

Also true. I look forward to seeing what you have planned for us, even if I end up as the Courtier.
Unread 27th of July, 2011, 17:06
Copper
Shadow [GM]

As mentioned in the other thread, I'd rather you played what you enjoyed. With that in mind, I recommend talking through the group dynamic with the other players (in the Player Forum, since you're pretty much on equal footing now with the others, application-wise), and then make a decision what to do then.
Unread 2nd of August, 2011, 20:45
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Helloooooo. I will be watching on-and-off as the story unfolds.