Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Francis's Games > Temple Raiders of Olidamma

Reply
Thread Tools
  #26  
Unread 2nd of May, 2010, 02:14
Dumari's Avatar
Dumari
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8090
Location: London, UK
Posts: 35 (0.01 per day)
Rory glances over at the sorry state Grakul managed to get himself into, and silently agrees with Badger's conclusion. If anyone is going to sneak downstairs, it'll have to be him.

About an hour passes, though it seems longer. Rory puts his ear to the secret entrance in an attempt to confirm the hallway is clear of guards.

---

"Okay, seems clear... I'm going to go check it out."

Slightly worried, Badger looks up and asks "Try and see if you can locate Spike while your out there?"

Rory opens the door, and sticking as close to the shadows as possible, creeps to the staircase to try and survey the Tavern.

[OOC: Listen check (+6) to make sure coast is clear, then if clear, move silently (+9) to stairs and survey the bar area, taking note of guard numbers and positions. Spot check (+8). If hallway isn't clear, and Rory detects it, edit out post-break paragraphs.]
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Unread 2nd of May, 2010, 18:35
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
During the first hour, you hear the typical sound of people turning a house upside down: slamming doors, crashing chests, etc.
After one hour they are still searching, but now for secret doors, hammering on the walls and such.
It doesn't seem wise to exit, so you don't, I assume.
After two hours it gets more quiet, Rory doesn't hear anything, so he carefully opens the door.
The hall in which the secret door was, seems deserted, so Rory sneaks to the stairs. He takes a quick peek downstairs and sees a party of six guards sitting in the main tavern room: two orcs, two gnolls and two bugbears. They are all armored heavily and with heavy weapons hanging on their backs (typical weapons for these races, like greataxe, battleaxe, morningstar, shortbow, javelin, etc.)

What does Rory do next? He hasn't been seen yet. The room is too light to sneak past them. They are 50 feet away from him.
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Unread 2nd of May, 2010, 20:06
Dumari's Avatar
Dumari
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8090
Location: London, UK
Posts: 35 (0.01 per day)
Rory notes the positions of the guards mentally, and creeps back to the secret closet. He assumes his position on the floor next to Badger.

"It doesn't looks good. I saw at least six of them downstairs, all armed. It's too light to sneak past, and I don't think we'd fare well in a straight fight."

Rory looks perplexedly at his two comrades, and asks "What do you think we should do next?"
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Unread 2nd of May, 2010, 23:47
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
"Blast. I don't suppose there's any way out without going downstairs? Even if we wanted to fight, Grakul's still unconscious, is gonna have one helluva hangover when we do get him awake. And none of us can afford to get up close and personal to them."
Badger relapses into a scowling silence for a moment, before responding, "We could search the hallway for any other secret passages Batilba may have arranged for such an emergency, or we could wait another few hours and see if they go. Since Batilba mentioned nothing to us, my own vote is for sitting tight. I would suggest we begin waking Grakul though."
Badger moves over to Grakul, and bops him on the head, while placing a hand on his mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Unread 3rd of May, 2010, 04:10
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
Grakul wakes up almost immediately.
You all know that there is a window in Rory's room, which he shares with Loryn, (at the back side of the building)
as well as in Grakul's room, which he shares with Badger (at the front side of the building).
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Unread 3rd of May, 2010, 22:57
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
The Cause of It All

Nocturnus, after he has cast the spell on the crown, explains to Loryn:
"Nondetection. You know why you never should steal such a famous item? Because the authorities will ask the clerics to cast a "divination" spell to find it back! You don't know what that is? Never mind. Let's just say they get supernatural advice on where to look for the object. My nondetection spell will in most cases hinder such a "divination", such an advice-spell.
Perhaps they have already cast such a spell, before you left.
Perhaps they are already looking at your home area, to retrieve it. Your friends and Batbilba could be in grave danger! They will tear the whole place apart in order to find it!
But now that I have cast nondetection on it, at least they won't come looking here. AT least not for a few hours, until my spell has finished. You want to sell it to me, aye? But then I would have to cast nondetection on it over and over again. And I don't have enough spellpower to do so. So, with no hard feelings, no, I won't buy this from you. The clerics would sooner or later find it here.
Have you got any ideas about what you're going to do with it?
Remember, most clerics also have a detection spell with which they can detect it, if it is within 600 feet or so. To protect it from such a spell, you would have to keep it in a leaden box. But, unless you have nondetection, they will always be able to get advice on its location by means of divination.
So think carefully what you're going to do now.
(Loryn can reply now)
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 05:26
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
After thinking for just a minute he asks Nocturnus, "Is there a lawful temple in the city that is in conflict with the probable upcoming mayor, or with the other churches in general? I could sneak it in a lead box to their temple and secret it there. Let one of the churches find it hidden in another and sort it out themselves? That should give us some time without them at our backs, eh?"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Unread 4th of May, 2010, 07:00
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
Nocturnus answers: "that's a great idea! Get some distrust between the Mayor and one of the temples! That would indeed make life somewhat easier for us.
Which temple would you hide it? Some would be above suspicion, like those of Moradin and Nerull, because they cooperate so well with the authorities. Pick one of the other deities, you know better than I.

And hide it inside the temple in a leaden chest. Yes, hard to find that way. Much confusion and distrust! yes!
I don't have a leaden chest on offer. But a thin layer of lead at the inside will suffice. Here (Nocturnus gets a chest out of his shop) is an ordinary chest, it costs 2 gp, but I'll give it to you for free.
Or you might want (N. gets another one) this fancy chest, for only 20 gp it's yours. See it's a real treasure chest, won't stand out among other treasures in a temple. Which one will you take?

Now for the lead, you'll have to go to the "Gorgeous Smelter of Rare Metals". You know where it is? right. It's only 1 mile to the north from here. Speak to one of the dwarves, they can put a layer of lead in this chest in less than 2 hours, I think. Beware what they charge, shouldn't be more than 15 gp, I think. Lead is a rare metal, but not worth more than silver, is it?

Meanwhile leave the crown here with me. No sense in taking risks while carrying it around the city, is there? Do you agree? Come back when the chest is finished. YES YES YES


Nocturnus seems to be elated at the prospect of this ruse on one of the temples.
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 10:21
Captain Gavis's Avatar
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7805
Location: East Syracuse
Posts: 1,250 (0.38 per day)
Grakul awoke with only the lightest of headaches which he promptly attempted to shake away. "What's the situation Badger?" He whispered.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 10:38
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
"Well, seems as though Loryn stole the bloody crown that was going to be given to the new Mayor, and the guard came down hard on us. Batilba managed to hide us 'ere before they came, but they took'er in, along with the rest of the guild. They probably won't know to go to Nocturnus, at least not yet. We've got 3 guards downstairs, and they haven't left in two hours. Nobody's on the top floor, so ar best bet would be to escape out through the window in ar room. You two up fer that?"
Badger, opens his backpack, checking that all the items are in place. He slips his pendant underneath all his clothing, in an attempt to conceal it. He then looks up to the other two.
"Grakul, ya can pick yer stuff up when we go. Rory, ya wanna quickly go 'n' get your gear now? I doubt y'll get another chance. And do either of ya got a place I can hide this damn big hunk of magic metal?"
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 11:10
Captain Gavis's Avatar
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7805
Location: East Syracuse
Posts: 1,250 (0.38 per day)
"Stoppin' by the room 'ill be easy 'nuff you know I travel light and never unpack, Badger. Just gotta grab me armor an' mitts. As for the magic bits, yer pockets the best option we got right now unless you wanna dump it."
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 11:25
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
"In case ya haven't noticed, I've go' this big ol' Greatsword strapped to my pack. I doubt I'll be fittin' tha' into my pockets."
Badger grumbles a bit to himself, and among the snippets heard are "...Stupid gnolls..." "Couldn't a' been a magic bow? Or dagger?" "...Prankster of a god..."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 20:34
Captain Gavis's Avatar
Captain Gavis
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Member: #7805
Location: East Syracuse
Posts: 1,250 (0.38 per day)
noticing the sword for the first time, Grakul secretly wondered how Badger was even dragging the thing around. "Badger, that thing is taller than you are by more'n double."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Unread 5th of May, 2010, 22:51
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
Hi,

this is a lot of talk, but no actions.
I would like to move on.
So, unless I get another post from your chars before Thursday night 9 pm GMT,
I will assume the following:

- Rory will go to his room alone to get the things from his chest
- Badger and Grakul will go to their room and open the shutters of their window, in order to climb out of it.
- Loryn (Merbak) will go to the Rare Metals smith and have the simple chest covered with lead on the inside.

If you don't agree, post another action!

BTW: the greatsword is only 6 ft. long. It may give a slight penalty on hide and move silently.
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.

Last edited by Francis; 5th of May, 2010 at 22:53.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 05:39
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
It may seem strange, but this is how the Coffee House looks on the first floor (second floor if you're American).
The secret door is not on this map, but it is in the left wall of the narrow hall which connects the north and the south part of the first floor.

Rory's room (and Loryn's) is on the north (top of map) side, the one with the double blue bed.
Badger's room (and Grakul's) is on the south end, the one with the two red beds.

__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 11:21
Merbak's Avatar
Merbak
Wraith

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Member: #1873
Posts: 640 (0.14 per day)
After a moment of thought, Loryn says to Nocturnus, "While my mind says that the more expensive box would do a better job, my wallet is urging me toward the smaller. And my wallet's the one that feeds me and pays the bills."

After exchanging the money, Loryn heads to the rare metal workers to have them do their magic on his cheapo box.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 18:12
Dumari's Avatar
Dumari
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8090
Location: London, UK
Posts: 35 (0.01 per day)
Back at the coffee house, in their cramped secret closet...

Rory decides it's time to get moving, putting his ear to the secret entrance, once again. "Badger, if you want to keep that bloody thing, you're welcome to stow it in my chest. It's not the most secure storage, especially at the moment, but it'll beat lugging it around."

...

Rory motions to the others that the coast is clear, and heads out of the secret passage, turning left and moving silently towards his and Loryn's room.

He turns and whispers to Grakul; "I'm goig to grab whatever Loryn left behind too, as long as you don't mind helping me carry it. Meet in my room, five minutes?"

[OOC: Listen check at door again, provided it's clear, move silently to our room and pick up my gear, plus whatever Loryn left behind, and wait for Badger and Grakul. If not clear, edit out everything after the break.]
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 18:23
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
Rory moves silently to his room and finds that the lock has been forced open, the door standing slightly ajar. (Meanwhile, Badger and Grakul are waiting in the closet).
The room is quite dark, as the shutters are closed, but some light comes in from the lamp hanging in the hallway. Rory's chest has been smashed and all his things lie around in the room.

Rory makes a spot check as he enters his room:
24

being very good at spotting things, he not only sees his possessions on the floor, but also a suspicious looking trip wire, stretched through the darkest parts of his room.
Rory is now 5 feet into his room. Does he continue?


----------------------

Loryn arrives at the "Gorgeous Smelter of Rare Metals". A dwarf smith-worker is approaching: "what can I do for you?"
As Loryn explains about the chest, the dwarf asks: "a lead-covered chest? what do you need that for?"
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.

Last edited by Francis; 6th of May, 2010 at 18:30.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 18:44
Dumari's Avatar
Dumari
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8090
Location: London, UK
Posts: 35 (0.01 per day)
"Well that's just brilliant isn't it..."

Rory draws his Short Sword instinctively as he enters the room. Spotting the slightly crude trip wire on the floor, but not being entirely sure what it connects to, he bends down and attempts to disarm the device, while surveying the room for more traps, or anything else out of the ordinary.

"Damn, I'd better make this quick and let the others know they've trapped the bloody place."

[OOC: Pretty obvious, but disarm the trap and gather our equipment.]
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 19:13
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
The trip wire is very easy to disconnect, as it was merely connected to a few objects which would cause a lot of noise when toppled over.
Rory collects all his own things and those Loryn may have left behind.
Then he returns to the closet and tells Badger and Grakul that there might be traps in the building. Rory is quite sure there are no more mechanical traps in his own room, though.
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 20:03
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
What were those idiots thinking, trapping a den of thieves? Ah, well...

"Okay. Grakul, go ge' ya'r stuff from our room, and be careful of more traps. Meet us back in Rory's room once you're ready."

Hefting his pack onto his shoulders, and adjusting the Greatsword a bit, Badger prepares himself for the escape. "Righ', lets get goin'."

[OOC: Move silently to Rory's room, presumably along with Rory. Wait for Grakul to get his few odd bits of gear and meet with them, and then prepare to escape.]
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 20:10
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
So far, the only thing Grakul left in his room, is a bedroll (worth 1 sp). Does he want to risk traps to get it, or does he want to stay with the others?
(Of course, if capt. Gavis thinks it would be reasonable that there are more items left in his room, that's his decision. Please tell us.)
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.

Last edited by Francis; 6th of May, 2010 at 20:28.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Unread 6th of May, 2010, 22:08
Dumari's Avatar
Dumari
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8090
Location: London, UK
Posts: 35 (0.01 per day)
Rory and Badger close the door quietly behind them as they enter the room.

Rory opens the shutters and checks the street for activity. "Better make sure it's clear outside before we hit the streets..."

[OOC: Spot check as much as Rory can see from the window, just waiting on Grakul to join us. Presumably the window will open enough to allow us to escape this way, or the GM would have pointed out that Rory knows how his own window operates]
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Unread 7th of May, 2010, 05:05
Francis's Avatar
Francis
Ghoul [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Member: #8074
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 148 (0.05 per day)
OOC: heard nothing from cpt. Gavis. So I'll just continue with the suggestions of the others that Grakul is going to get his belongings.

Rory sees that there is a tree directly opposite his window. It will be moderately difficult but not impossible to get into the branches of the tree. The tree then provides good cover to those on the branches with respect to people passing below.
The street below is empty. To the left are empty barrels and boxes, but the window is 10 feet up on the wall.
There is also an iron grate leading to the sewers under the street.

Grakul moves very silently through the hallway,
and returns to his room and finds it slightly ajar.
Realizing that there might well be a sound trap, Grakul decides to refrain from entering his room.
He returns to the others. What will you do now?
__________________
There's an epidemic spreading through the world:
people who think they know something, and that it's always the others who don't know anything.

Last edited by Francis; 7th of May, 2010 at 07:31.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Unread 9th of May, 2010, 03:11
Explosive Cheese's Avatar
Explosive Cheese
Boomer Muenster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Member: #8003
Location: University of Waterloo
Posts: 2,137 (0.67 per day)
"Dwarves and trees don' ge' along very well. I sugges' we climb down the wall and inta th'sewers. Got a grappling hook we can fix to the window, and some rope. We can take turns usin' the rope to climb down."

Badger drops his pack, and sets to removing his armour. Once done, he takes the grappling hook out of his pack, and replaces it with the armour. He then unties the Greatsword, and affixes the grappling hook to the rope and to the window.

[OOC: Took off the armour to remove the armour check penalty to climb. Also, does the Greatsword have a scabbard Badger can affix to his belt as he climbs?]

Last edited by Explosive Cheese; 9th of May, 2010 at 21:42.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 17:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren