Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Mediorum

Unread 29th of January, 2013, 06:33
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Wikithreads seems to be the answer there. I did take a look at them a while back, but suffice to say there is no clear decision on the direction they should take (if any).
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 08:56
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Right, I was merely suggesting that it is a viable solution should implementing a "edit this map" button be a problem. Alternatively, would there be a way of making people a moderator of a particular thread rather than of the forum?
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 09:07
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
I dunno, I'm sort of worried about the original state of the map getting lost or something.
Maybe a history system? So you could see "okay here's how it started and who did what" if things got confused.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 09:10
Linklegacy77

It'd be simple enough to have 2 copies of it in the initial post, one of which has a "DO NOT EDIT" tag on it or something. It would also have the advantage of having the site be a lot more 'slow internet friendly' since you'd only have a total of 2 maps in the combat thread, and would thus avoid having a map in each post. With a method of using them like that, it might even be viable to increase the amount of pictures allowed in the map or to increase the size of the map, since there would never be more than 2 of them on the page.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 09:30
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
I don't know why people seem to think having a several different versions of the same map in a thread, will be hard on a slow internet connection. This isn't the first time someone has suggested it.

Maybe a history system? So you could see "okay here's how it started and who did what" if things got confused.
You've come back around to just a normal thread with the most recent post being the most recent version and the previous posts being the previous versions.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 09:36
Linklegacy77

I was referring to the idea that the map might actually change itself, rather than just tokens, which is what I thought he was talking about.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 10:09
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

No I meant like the positions of the tokens. In case things get confused. Like a middle ground between each player's post having their own version of the map and only having a single map.
Like what if I need to check where everyone was on round 2 for some weird reason? This is important.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 11:55
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
That's why I'm thinking it really might be easiest to just quote and update the person's map who posted before you. Yes, a lot of crazy maps, but hide everything behind spoiler tags. Question, since I really don't know, does hiding behind a spoiler tag help with page loading at all?
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 12:12
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Originally Posted by Mercutio # That's why I'm thinking it really might be easiest to just quote and update the person's map who posted before you. Yes, a lot of crazy maps, but hide everything behind spoiler tags. Question, since I really don't know, does hiding behind a spoiler tag help with page loading at all?
A browser typically only has to load a resource once per refresh, regardless of how many times it is called on the page. Which makes sense if you think about it; otherwise a tiled background would slowly spread out from the upper lefthand corner instead of appearing all at once.

I like your idea best. However, that gets us back to the maps not making sense if people don't post in initiative order. If the initiative order is Aleph -> Malachi -> Ullr but the order of player posts is Link -> BRR -> Darius, there's no practical way to do procedural updates.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 12:15
Linklegacy77

Well, it doesn't matter how many maps there are, it's all the same image with a grid overlay, and the grid overlay isn't exactly difficult to download (it's really just text). You download the image once and you're good.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 12:17
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

So then this would be less resource intense than the way I've been doing it for XCrawl (each map in a post is a different image).
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 12:18
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Yeah. I don't think having a single map would be really better than chain-quoting the last player's post, you'd be fiddling with the grids anyway.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 12:19
treehouse

Next problem - how do we quote someone else's map with grids and tokens all in place without the actual code visible? Does it just work? Let me go try.

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 12:21
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Yes, it just works. Just make sure to delete the quote tags.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 12:24
treehouse

Awesome.

So, we just need to figure out how to handle initiative. Can this work without making any changes? Do you want to try?

Unread 29th of January, 2013, 12:55
Linklegacy77

I kind of figured that this would simply be best served with only the GM editing the maps, and just copying the code from his last update, then editing the positions. Simply because anyone CAN edit the map doesn't mean that's the best way to do it.

Continuing on the exact way we have been doing, but with this grid over image version of a map will serve exactly one purpose: making map making and updating far less time consuming for the GM. You no longer need to draw a grid on the map, no longer need to edit the actual image for positioning, etc.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 13:00
treehouse

If we aren't changing the initiative rules I don't want players to waste time updating maps since they won't usually know where everyone is on their turn (so yes, I agree, Link).

Unread 29th of January, 2013, 13:00
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

That ultimately still leaves the GM with editing all the positions, which is somewhat time-consuming in itself. Actually moving your tokens and double-checking posts and counting out distances to be sure is more of a drain than loading and saving one image. There frankly wouldn't be any real time-saving for a GM if they still have to update maps.

I say this as I have a pretty easy system with GIMP and maps and the grids and all (but I've had a bit of practice on that with RHD, Pirates, and now XCrawl - plus lots of other GIMP and map experience), but that's not really the time-sink. It's adjudicating the actions of the players that takes the most time, to make sure that I do what you wanted, and move your token to the correct grid position.
Unread 29th of January, 2013, 13:14
treehouse

Let's not get married to one solution until we try a few things out. For the next combat we will use the new mapping system but players will (to the best of their ability) copy-paste and update the map on their turn. This will let you visualize each others' positions mid-turn and will take some work from me at the end (maybe).

If that doesn't work we'll try something else.

Unread 29th of January, 2013, 13:16
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Works for me.
Unread 5th of February, 2013, 03:57
treehouse

Still here. Still bogged down IRL. Not giving up, but my schedule is rockier than I thought it would be when I started the game.

Unread 11th of February, 2013, 14:05
treehouse

Okay, no promises because school is killing me, but I've reduced my academic burdens slightly this week by abandoning all attempts to certify before the semester is out, so I may have free time to resume.

This semester I transitioned from gen eds at a community college to major coursework at a university, I'm not sure why I didn't see the larger workload coming. I probably shouldn't have started this game for another year, but it's a story I really want to run and I don't want to abandon it, so I'm going to try my best to keep up. It's safe to assume that at my best I will not be updating more than twice a week for a while.

We are at a point right now where I can take over the narrative and kickstart the story back into action. I'm going to take some (very minor) liberties in my next post.

Unread 18th of February, 2013, 04:32
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Sorry, I think I'm going to have to drop out of this. I just don't have the blocks of time I used to where I can sit and sort through RPG handbooks.

Sorry about being so lame.
Unread 18th of February, 2013, 04:46
treehouse

Originally Posted by BigRedRod # Sorry, I think I'm going to have to drop out of this. I just don't have the blocks of time I used to where I can sit and sort through RPG handbooks.

Sorry about being so lame.
I don't think that's lame at all. It's not really fair for me to ask you guys to commit potential time to this game or keep it on your mind when I can't reliably get updates out. I just didn't want to fail at this (again), so I have been pretty stubborn about letting the obvious thing happen.

We should probably call this one off for a while. I honestly don't have time to run a game like this. I was expecting to be done with some academic pursuits by now, but they've gotten more intense instead. I can't do what I want, so it's making me frustrated. I was supposed to have all kinds of content (including a sweet new map) churned out for a city adventure in Corinport by now, but I barely have time to post, much less do background prep.

I will say that this is something I'd like to revisit when time does free up, perhaps a year and a half from now when I get out of classes and into my internship. I'll be in touch when that happens to see if anyone is still interested, and I'll run it I can get at least two or three of you back into it.

In the meantime, I'm going to get involved in a game or two here as a player, so I don't vanish again.

Unread 18th of February, 2013, 05:29
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

If you're looking to get into a game that's not mechanically heavy, I think zachol still would like another player in his Apocalypse World game.