Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > treehouse's Games > Mediorum

Reply
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 08:00
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
With a quick shake of his head, Cornelius seemed to regain total composure. He addressed Sigrid, yet seemed to be speaking to all five of the heroes as equal partners.

"How would the lot of you like to become very, very wealthy?" The last word was punctuated by another otherworldly keening, and the grating echo of something sharp tearing into steel. The banker jumped just a little, and continued without waiting for an answer.

"I'm about to violate a number of our bylaws, but as I haven't heard an alarm gong at this point it is safe to assume that you five are the Bank's last line of defense. You've acquitted yourselves well here, at any rate. If you can assist me in reaching the control room for the Vault, I will personally guarantee the Bank's patronage of your cause. If you can help me fend off these villains, I will do more."

"...much more."

[DMO: Escort Cornelius to control room on 2nd level of the Bank of Korr. Reward: 1 character level; Bonus: patronage of the Bank]

Last edited by treehouse; 3rd of January, 2013 at 08:14.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 08:12
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Sigrid glanced back.
"Reach the control room? I suppose we could try at least that."
She spun her pike into a ready stance. "Where to?"
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 08:15
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
"Upstairs. I would say away from the fighting, but if there was anyone in the control room they would have this all worked out by now. I fear a great number of my associates and friends may have perished in a very short time."
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 08:22
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Sigrid looked around.
"Seems like. Upstairs, then."

__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 20:30
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.95 per day)
Aleph gave a nod of consent,
"I'll hold the rear."
His body ached and whatever was coming was not something that one man could hold off, but years of conditioning were driving Aleph now. He had his assignment and he'd either complete it or give his life trying.

Regardless, whatever it was was blocking the way out and places like this didn't tend to build in backdoors.
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 22:33
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.69 per day)
Malachi's eyebrows raised with interest. "Of course we'll help you, then," he said. He stepped lightly up the steps, eyes open for what might be waiting.
__________________
Ewan: Tell me, when you drove up, did you see a sign outside that said "dead ninja storage?"
Kat: No, I didn't...
Ewan: Do you wanna know why I don't have a sign like that? Because storing dead ninjas, isn't my business!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 23:34
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
"Aleph, I truly appreciate your efforts and conviction, but we'll absolutely need all the help we can get upstairs. We must move with utmost haste, and your part is essential in that."
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Unread 4th of January, 2013, 03:30
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
Miltos nodded at the terms offered by the banker, and then led the way up the stairs, keeping his guard up.


Last edited by Mercutio; 4th of January, 2013 at 03:33.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Unread 4th of January, 2013, 04:24
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.28 per day)
"As you command Siri."

Ullr pulls away from the hallway and moves to the base of the stairs, motioning for others to move up so that he can follow after.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Unread 4th of January, 2013, 07:08
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Sigrid followed after Miltos, a step behind, pike ready to dart out.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Unread 16th of January, 2013, 12:45
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Cornelius nodded and made his way for the nearest stairway. The adventurers formed a moving perimeter around the banker with Miltos in the lead and Ullr bringing up the rear, even as the fighting turned desperate on the far side of the building.

The public half of the bank’s upper level was a shrine to Korr, the city’s legendary founder and patron saint of commerce. Lines of pews were arrayed in front of a stone pulpit. The room was free of gaudy ornamentation; a giant golden key was engraved on the floor underneath the pulpit, but it was obviously painted, if finely done. The rest of the room was bare, and blessedly free of corpses.

Cornelius led them to a large bronze double door between the two stairways. One of the doors was ajar – Miltos nudged it open with his free hand, revealing a hallway running perpendicular to the doorway. There were many other doors and branching hallways in this rarely glimpsed section of the bank, but the group’s attention was immediately drawn to the carnage on the ground. Bodies lay everywhere, including a large number of black-clad Coils which at least indicated that the defenders had put up a heroic fight. The fallen were particularly dense around another set of doors directly across the hall from where the group was massed.

All was still and silent, save for a pitifully weak cough which seemed to come from a nearby room.

Last edited by treehouse; 16th of January, 2013 at 12:48.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Unread 16th of January, 2013, 12:55
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.28 per day)
"Siri, there might be a survivor. Do we check it?" Ullr's eyes are focused entirely down the staircase behind them after reviewing the carnage with a glance, ensuring that they are not taken by surprise from behind.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Unread 16th of January, 2013, 13:49
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
"No. They wouldn't tell us anything new. Get the 'control room' secured, charity later."
She advanced, pike spinning gently, then paused just at the doors. She glanced at Miltos, back at Ullr, nodded, then gave the doors a good solid kick.


Last edited by zachol; 17th of January, 2013 at 13:49.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Unread 17th of January, 2013, 12:16
Darius's Avatar
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1110
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,490 (0.69 per day)
Malachi stayed near the middle of the group, his daggers hidden away again for the time being as he surveyed the area.

"Which way Cornelius?"
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Unread 17th of January, 2013, 12:25
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
Miltos held his sword up, ready to parry any attacks against the front line of the group.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Unread 23rd of January, 2013, 04:17
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.95 per day)
Remaining silent, Aleph nodded his agreement with the Baronesses assessment. Now was not the time to pick up stragglers.

He kept his body facing back the way they came despite the carnage. The chaos downstairs would inevitably follow them. He just missed the bank would move more quickly.
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Unread 26th of January, 2013, 12:22
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
The door flew open with one solid kick from Sigrid, revealing a room unlike any they had seen so far. The walls were lined with levers, valves, buttons and interlocking wheels and gears, though of the group only Malachi could put a name to all of them. They reminded him of the strange contraptions of the Liir-folk, though these did not have the same elegant aesthetic.

There were two corpses in here - both men in solid breastplate, but neither had worn a helm and both had lost their heads for it. Cornelius shuddered as he stepped into the room.

"They didn't even draw their swords. Do you think...? No time."

He gingerly walked around one of the bodies, grabbed a cord dangling from the ceiling and pulled hard. Suddenly the building nearly shook with the sound of bells - large ones, and more than a dozen, so they quickly sounded less like bells and more like rolling thunder. Everyone in the city would hear. That was probably the point.

"Help will arrive soon, perhaps within the next minute or so. If you'll just close those doors we can bar them from the insi-"

Cornelius was interrupted by a single invisible chime from a recess in the nearest wall. It was short and shrill, distinct enough to be heard over the clamor above. The banker's eyes widened.

"The vault door is breached! How is that even possible? No time! Someone grab that valve over there, the big red one that says 'DO NOT TURN' directly above. I'll get the other. I'll bet these bastards can't breathe underwater."

Where he pointed, the valve was clearly visible. It was painted a gaudy bright red, and seemed to be attached to a pipe that ran into the floor. Its twin was on the far side of the room, and Cornelius hurried to that one as he spoke.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Unread 26th of January, 2013, 12:35
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.28 per day)
"Be cautious! I don't like the looks of this, it's likely there's some kind of assassin lurking in here or a booby trap. Someone had to have killed these men. I'll watch the door."

Ullr knocks an arrow, and stands watching the door from a bit inside the room, ready to fire at a moments notice should a foe reveal himself.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Unread 26th of January, 2013, 13:02
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
"Of course there's a trap! Everyone, get ready, on three! One..."
Sigrid reached the valve, looking down at it, primed for something horrible to happen.

Reply With Quote
  #70  
Unread 26th of January, 2013, 15:19
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Barely a moment before Sigrid placed her hands on the valve, she recoiled, seeing the sheen of some slick, nearly invisible substance coating it.

Cornelius had not quite reached his own valve.

[success on that Spot check, obviously]
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Unread 26th of January, 2013, 17:35
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
"Hold it! Trap on the valve! Some sort of coating, don't touch it!"

Sigrid looked closer, trying to get an idea of what it was. Possibly oil? If poison, she could just turn the thing anyway, she had gauntlets on.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Unread 27th of January, 2013, 06:25
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
Cornelius' hands paused right over the valve at Sigrid's shout. He turned and walked back to one of the fallen guardsmen, bent and removed the man's brigandine gloves. They were several sizes too large and looked a tad bit ridiculous on the banker. Nodding silent thanks to Sigrid, he hurried back to his valve just as another bell chimed somewhere inside the chamber - this one a few octaves lower. The bell repeated itself twice.

"The safety deposit? No matter. One...two..."
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Unread 27th of January, 2013, 06:36
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Hoping the trap was merely poison, Sigrid turned the valve on three.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Unread 27th of January, 2013, 06:45
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.49 per day)
The valves turned easily - neither Sigrid or Cornelius seemed to suffer any ill effect, at least not immediately. If anyone had been expecting something epic to happen, they were disappointed. Ullr and Aleph heard the faintest whoosh coming from somewhere below them.

"The vault is just far enough below sea level that we can fill it with water if we need to. This'll be the first time we've done it in an emergency, though. Absolutely dreadful day." He peeled off the gloves gingerly, taking great care not to touch the palms or fingers of them with exposed flesh.

[Knowledge (nature) or Craft (alchemy) will tell you what the substance is - anyone got that?]
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Unread 27th of January, 2013, 11:02
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.62 per day)
Sigrid held her gauntlets out, palms up, examining them.
"Don't suppose anyone could identify what this is?"
__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 07:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren