Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 3rd of April, 2007, 10:11
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
Chapter 5, Scene 7 Expedition to the Temple of Stone

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 7 Expedition to the Temple of Stone

Setting: Parade field north of the capital of Merak Hoi Province, 17th Noon of Midsummer, 300th Year of the Monkey.

By noon, a small mob of about two hundred people has gathered at the parade field. The crowd is overwhelmingly, but not entirely, made up of halflings. Apparently the human clergy of Merak Hoi have been favored under the rule of Bon Quo. The crowd is diverse. Some are warriors, some are priests of Sha-gaat, some are commonfolk. Some have come armed and provisioned for battle, with grim determination. Others are unarmed with the attitude one would expect for a picnic, perhaps relying on the power of prophecy to ensure their victory.

When Gizerak appears with the henchmen, the crowd cheers and joins in psalms of praise to Sha-gaat.
  #2  
Unread 3rd of April, 2007, 14:52
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj see's the crowd and frowns, this is not an army, this a sheep heard, ready for the slaughter. He looks uneasily at Fugen then around the rest of the group.
  #3  
Unread 3rd of April, 2007, 22:59
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Fugen shares Flarrgj's discomfort at the sight of the mob, but seeing as this is Gizerak's mission, he simply waits to see what Gizerak will do.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #4  
Unread 4th of April, 2007, 03:45
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
Nimdor leans over to Flarrgj, and mutters something about "arrogant priests"
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #5  
Unread 4th of April, 2007, 10:53
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Raising his hands to quiet the crowd, Gizerak wiats for a hush to fall over the crowd. When he has their attention, he speaks with a clear voice.

"Sha-gaat bless you all for gathering here. It fills me with hope that we can solve this issue. But I want you all to realize what lays before us. This is no leisurely jaunt. Bon-Quo is not a soft man. He is not likely to acquiesce to what we want likely. There may be conflict, though I pray to the Four Royals that it is not so."

"Think long and deep in your hearts. If you are not ready to put yourself in harms way for the glory of Sha-gaat, you should head back to your homes and fields. Rebuild your lives back to what they were before Aikou took them from you. If you still want to join my friends and I in convincing Bon-quo to leave, very well. I can not vouch for your safety, but would gladly accept your help."

After those in the crowd who change their mind have left, Gizerak continues.

"When we arrive, I imagine we will not find a warm welcome. Please do not act rash. I will speak with the clerics at the temple, hopefully avoiding any conflict."

With that, the halfling turns to his companions and pitches his voice for them to hear.

"My friends, I don't know how things will go here, but again I thank you for offering to go along. We should be prepared if these followers of Sha-gaat become over zealous. We must make sure the scholars are not harmed. They should be identified by their tunics. Their garb will be made of solid colors - brown, orange, blue, or white - with a gold stripe around the bottom."

With that, he sets out on the path that he had become familiar with during his time at the temple, headed for a rendevous with his destiny.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #6  
Unread 4th of April, 2007, 23:24
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Fugen is careful to control his outward appearence so as not to insult any of the gathered mob, but he distinctly approves of Gizerak's speech and the dispersal of the less committed elements.

As the party starts towards the temple, Fugen manuvers Fig next to Gizerak and taps the halfling on the shoulder to get his attention. Signing, he asks what he thinks Bon-Quo's reaction would have been to the news of Akiou's defeat, as he is bound to have learned of it by now.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #7  
Unread 5th of April, 2007, 07:51
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj frowns at the mention of 'sparing people'. Killing he can do, and he can do not killing as well. But this... in between, of stopping them, but not hurting them, this requires a level of finess and delicacy that he is not sure he has. He sighs, well it will not be the first time he will have to tr new things.
  #8  
Unread 5th of April, 2007, 08:12
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
7:1 The Pilgrimage Begins

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 7:1 The Pilgrimage Begins

After Gizerak's speech, not a single adherant forsakes the expedition. All stand firm. As they look around and realize that none have taken the opportunity to leave, a hearty cheer rises from the crowd.

"We will not need to fight!" shouts a mother, surrounded by her children. "Sha-Gaat himself will smite Bon Quo!"

As the group sets out towards the temple on foot, an army messenger approaches from town by horseback. He slowly works his way through the crowd towards Gizerak. "Father Gizerak! Colonel Qai Xun thanks you again for your service to the Interim Government and the Fifth Regiment. With regret, he wishes to clarify that it would be inappropriate for him to interfere in local or religious matters, even to benefit such a great friend as yourself. He hopes that you will understand and forgive him."



OOC
7:0 Gizerak's diplomacy (1d20=20)
  #9  
Unread 5th of April, 2007, 20:58
The Alcotroll's Avatar
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member: #512
Location: Inside your OODA loop.
Posts: 2,147 (0.42 per day)
Guiding Onira alongside Gizerak, Kierna observes Fugen's signed message and then adds her own voice.

"This rabble will be heard coming from miles away; If Bon-Quo has men hidden on the road, he would wreak great mischief in a short time. He would be a fool to pass up such an opportunity.
"Would you like me to range ahead, to be sure there are no surprises in wait?"
  #10  
Unread 6th of April, 2007, 03:55
Canter_shadow's Avatar
Canter_shadow
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2127
Posts: 232 (0.06 per day)
"Naturally Kierna. Gizerak, I hope you know what you are doing. If it comes to blows, many of them will die."

Termix says this last fairly matter-of-fact, not seeming all that concerned himself.
__________________
How could'st thou say I did it? Never shake thy gory locks at me.
  #11  
Unread 6th of April, 2007, 06:05
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj nods in agreement with Termix.

"Perhaps we should send away those without weapons..."
  #12  
Unread 6th of April, 2007, 10:12
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
7:2 Kierna Suspicious

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 7:2 Kierna Suspicious

Kierna rides ahead. Most of the crowd is following Gizerak, but a few are walking or riding ahead of the main group. They may have taken it upon themselves to scout, as Kierna has. Others are probably demonstrating their bravery, or are just impatient. As Kierna passes these, she sees a human rider in the very front that is spurring his horse to gallop ahead of the others. Something about the way he looks back over his shoulder makes Kierna suspicious.



OOC
5,7:2 (1d20=17, 1d20=15, 1d20=18, 1d20=1, 1d20=5, 1d20=1, 1d20=14, 1d20=20, 1d20=6, 1d20=2, 1d20=7, 1d20=9, 1d20=12, 1d20=11, 1d20=18, 1d20=5, 1d20=15, 1d20=4, 1d20=20, 1d20=10)
Kierna spot check 17+mods vs 15+mods. Distance from Kierna to the suspicious rider = 40 ft.
  #13  
Unread 6th of April, 2007, 23:52
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
After nodding to Kierna as she rode off, Gizerak himself begins to wonder if he isn't leading these people to pain and suffering.

As they walk along, the cleric tries to discourage some of the folks without arms to go home. He tries to convince them that they would be serving Sha-gaat better if they were safe from the possibility of harm.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #14  
Unread 7th of April, 2007, 00:43
The Alcotroll's Avatar
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member: #512
Location: Inside your OODA loop.
Posts: 2,147 (0.42 per day)
With no time to consult her companions, and reluctant to challenge the man for fear of him fleeing, Kierna nudges Onira closer with her knees, and lays two arrows across her bow.

Aiming for the mount rather than the rider, she hopes to unseat the suspicious horseman before he can flee.

[OOC: Move to around 20 feet away and use manyshot to sling two arrows at the horse (assuming that I can do that...) ]
  #15  
Unread 7th of April, 2007, 23:00
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
7:3 Cloud of Dust

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 7:3 Cloud of Dust

Kierna raises her bow and fires two arrows into the horse. This seriously injures the animal but doesn't bring it down. The rider urges his mount forward and the horse takes off in a gallop, leaving a huge cloud of dust.



OOC:
5,7:3 (1d20=6, 1d20=9, 1d20=6, 1d20=17, 1d20=7, 1d20=5, 1d20=1, 1d20=15, 1d20=7, 1d20=18, 1d20=19, 1d20=5, 1d20=5, 1d20=1, 1d20=18, 1d20=14, 1d20=18, 1d20=10, 1d20=15, 1d20=10)

Target spot roll to see it coming. 6+mods. Succeeds with mods. Kierna initiative 9+mod. Target initiative 6+mod. Kierna wins initiative. Moves to 20ft distance and Manyshot 17+mods. Hits for 17 total pts of damage on the horse.

The target then spurs his mount but fails with a 7+mods, so horse does a normal run of 240 ft. Distance is now 260 ft.
  #16  
Unread 8th of April, 2007, 23:12
The Alcotroll's Avatar
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member: #512
Location: Inside your OODA loop.
Posts: 2,147 (0.42 per day)
Kierna hisses a curse, but elvish is too melodic to make for convincing expletives.

"Shit!" There, that feels so much better...

Gentle pressure with her knees encourages Onira to maintain a comfortable distance, and Kierna draws two more arrows on the string of her bow.

[OOC: Normal move and manyshot with two]
  #17  
Unread 10th of April, 2007, 13:27
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
7:4 Hurdle a Fence

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 7:4 Hurdle a Fence

Kierna releases the arrows to arc 70 yards through the air into the fleeing horse. It collapses instantly, throwing the rider. He is able to land on his feet and hurdle a fence to flee on foot off road.


OOC
5,7:4 (1d20=15, 1d20=18, 1d20=15, 1d20=8, 1d20=3, 1d20=15, 1d20=2, 1d20=9, 1d20=4, 1d20=16, 1d20=10, 1d20=2, 1d20=20, 1d20=8, 1d20=17, 1d20=5, 1d20=2, 1d20=16, 1d20=19, 1d20=17)
Kierna rides forward 50 ft, closing distance to 210 ft. attacks. hits with 15+mods (inc -4 multishot and -2 range. 14 pts of damage. Target rolls 18+mods to soft fall. 15 +mods to jump the fence. Moves 60 ft, increasing distance to 270 ft.
  #18  
Unread 11th of April, 2007, 01:09
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
As the mob continues on, Gizerak keeps trying to plead with those less suited for confrontation to return to their homes. He makes it clear that they won't be seen as having deserted the cause.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #19  
Unread 11th of April, 2007, 07:16
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
"Gizerak, why do you think there will be a confrontation?" asks a member of the crowd nearby. "Don't you think the Bishops will oust Bon Quo when they see this demonstration that the believers support you?"

"We won't let you martyr yourself!" shouts someone else.

"The power of Sha-gaat protects us!" yells another.
  #20  
Unread 11th of April, 2007, 07:27
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.23 per day)
Seeing Kierna shoot a horse out from under one of the other people out front, and seeing that person still attempting to flee on foot, Fugen spurs Fig to a gallop to overtake him.

[OOC: Spur Fig (70 ft speed) to pursue the fleeing man (run at 5x speed if possible).

If allowed, take 10 on Ride check to spur mount (DC 15 is automatic in that case). If fence is shorter than 3.75' tall, do the same for the Ride check to make the jump over the fence (again, DC 15 Ride/Jump check is automatic). If fence is higher than 3.75' Fugen will jump from the saddle over the fence when he reaches the point along the fence where he is closest to the man and then continue the pursuit on foot.

Ride rolls if not allowed to take 10:
Spur Mount: 16
Leap: 25 (also determines Fig's jump distance)]
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #21  
Unread 11th of April, 2007, 09:40
Linklegacy77's Avatar
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member: #1662
Location: United States
Posts: 5,944 (1.39 per day)
Nimdor, seeing the contest going on up ahead, and seeing Fugen spur into action, rushes his horse forward to aid Kierna.

<OOC: Spur horse if possible, move as close to enemy as possible.>
__________________
2013 Avatar of the Year Winner
  #22  
Unread 11th of April, 2007, 10:11
Canter_shadow's Avatar
Canter_shadow
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member: #2127
Posts: 232 (0.06 per day)
Termix, trusting in his allies, and also wanting to test out his newest destructive spell to make sure it works, launches himself into casting, and launches a bead of fire at the enemy, which explodes into a giant ball of cacophanic flaming destruction.

<OOC: Cast fireball at the fleeing enemy.


Wiz Spells Prepared (5/5/4/3):
Level 3: Fireball, Fireball, Dispel Magic;
Level 2: Flaming sphere, web, scorching ray, Summon Monster 2;
Level 1: magic missile x2, shield, burning hands, expeditious retreat
Level 0: Ray of Frost, Detect Magic, Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Resistance
>
__________________
How could'st thou say I did it? Never shake thy gory locks at me.
  #23  
Unread 12th of April, 2007, 00:34
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Sighin giwth resignation that no one is leaving, Gizerak gives in. Though he is glad of their help, he fears for their safety.

Suddenly, he notices that the others are in pursuit of someone. Staying back with the main group, Gizerak waits to see how the others are do.
__________________
Je porte mon fromage dans mon slip.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
  #24  
Unread 12th of April, 2007, 06:00
The Alcotroll's Avatar
The Alcotroll
Stout Yeoman [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member: #512
Location: Inside your OODA loop.
Posts: 2,147 (0.42 per day)
"Faster Onira!"

Kierna presses her knees into her mount's flanks again and urges the horse forwards in the man's wake. She jumps the fence and forges on through the barley field, trying to overtake the man and turn him back towards her advancing comrades.

[See OOC thread for clarification]
  #25  
Unread 12th of April, 2007, 07:38
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.23 per day)
7:5 The Smoke Clears

JIANGU! Chapter 5, Scene 7:5 The Smoke Clears

Onira jumps the fence as Kierna urges her forward in pursuit. They close the gap to 60 feet as the quarry continues to flee through the field of barley.

Fugen races to catch up, but his horse Fig balks at jumping the fence. Fugen falls from the saddle, but lands on his feet.

Fugen and Kierna see the smoke trail of the fireball as it streaks past them. It erupts downrange by the target. Once the smoke clears, Kierna rides forward to see the blackened corpse of the man lying amidst the smoldering barley.



OOC
5,7:5 (1d20=5, 1d20=4, 1d20=1, 1d20=12, 1d20=3, 1d20=8, 1d20=4, 1d20=10, 1d20=11, 1d20=11, 1d20=20, 1d20=1, 1d20=5, 1d20=11, 1d20=13, 1d20=6, 1d20=8, 1d20=15, 1d20=2, 1d20=18)

Initiative rolls Fugen 5+mods, Termix 4+mods.

Round 3
Kierna 13. Rolls a 1 to spur mount which fails. Rolls 12+mods to jump fence, which succeeds. Kierna closes the gap to 30 ft.
Fugen 8. Fails to spur horse with 3+mods. Fails to jump fence with 8+mods. Falls 40 ft from target.
Target 6. Continues to run 30 ft (difficult terrain). Increases gap to 60 ft.
Termix 4. Casts fireball. Target is within range. Damage 21 pts. Target fails save with 4+mods.

Out of order roll (forgot) for Onira to jump the fence. 10+mods succeeds. Fugen roll to soft fall 11+mods. Succeeds.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 16:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren