Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > fhgwdads05's Games > Shadows of Death

Unread 16th of April, 2009, 17:25
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #2775
Hey hey now, just because you West-Coast junkies think constantly time-traveling 9 hours back into the past is the new cocaine doesn't mean we're wrong. That being said, being six hours in the future is not the same high they said it'd be @_@.

Also....

*rolls up newspaper and shakes it* BAD RED! Posting without discussion in Deliberation! I'll take a better look at the flaw later, for now it looks decent. We'll see how it holds up under scrutiny.
erendiox (12:14:36 AM): utter chaos is what feeds my insatiable hunger

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 16th of April, 2009 at 17:28.
Unread 16th of April, 2009, 17:32
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
GAH! Newspaper bad....

I thought we'd already discussed it before the forums even got up? I didn't want to clutter up the discussion thread with just me saying "I'm posting this".

Winner of the 2011 Coolest Avatar Award
Unread 18th of April, 2009, 06:13
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

As a friendly Sidereal has informed me that deadlines would be helpful in making sure we get this game rolling soon as hoped, I've decided for the benefit of us all I'll implement exactly such.

I need any and all thematic material (background stories and fiction; for pictures see below) relevant to your characters in exactly one week from midnight this day (technically the next), or April 25th, 12:00AM. Please note - a background story is the absolute minimum requirement. I hate to say this, but if you do not have these materials in by the specified time, it will result in you being unable to start with us. I may allow you to be worked into the plot at a later time - but I can promise nothing.

After this deadline passes, I will give you all notice of any potential Bonus Points rewards in the associated thread. You will have roughly one week to finalize your characters mechanically. It is my plan to post the introductory thread(s) on May 1st - I will not promise that I can fully abide by this, but for now, view it so.

I need this as much as you probably do, so I'm glad the idea was brought up. I may or may not also implement the "1-week post" rule that Erendiox uses in both of his games; we'll see how things go at first.

EDIT: Some questions that have been brought up reminded me that I needed to make some stuff more clear. The 12:00AM deadline is my time, or GMT +1; that would mean for you West-coasters the deadline is April 24th at 3:00PM. Also, for those of you who have commissioned a picture or are in the process of doing so - if the picture cannot be in before the deadline (or at least reasonably close; consider this to be a few days at most), then I will give you an appropriate amount of XP for it in-game when it has been finished. I have not yet decided whether you will be allowed to spend this XP immediately or if it will simply be added onto the normal total. The deadline itself is non-negotiable. With the exceptions of things similar to "a family member just died" or "I've been hospitalized," no excuses will be accepted. Sorry.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 18th of April, 2009 at 07:15.
Unread 20th of April, 2009, 14:04
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

I had a question about Feather (Kindle's mortal companion). It doesn't say anything in the background about it, but will she be gaining experience along with the rest of us? Or will she be a stagnant character?

Unread 20th of April, 2009, 15:03
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

I honestly hadn't thought about it. There are perks to both methods, so I'm really not sure. Give me a couple days to sort through it (among many, many other things); I'll get back to you. Oh, and...

*CRACK*

BACKSTORIES!
Unread 21st of April, 2009, 06:43
Eternal
Wight

Member: #745
Oh, and...

Dragon isn't complete without his weapon.

And, if I have any extra crap left over I want to buy a combo.
Unread 22nd of April, 2009, 12:05
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2929
There we go, posted Princess's background. Freaking task master...
Unread 23rd of April, 2009, 17:28
Daedalus
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #568
Alright, I have posted my (abridged) background, as well as a short story approximating Heso's personality.

Sorry it took so long, but the background I had been writing was, I realized, somewhere around 10 pages long, and at Tag's suggestion, I cut out pretty much all the fat from it, and posted that.

But anyways, yeah, it's up now.
Unread 24th of April, 2009, 20:30
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

And with that Both Kindle and Feather's backgrounds and descriptions are up, and Kindle has a collaborative story between Tag and myself with Weeping Princess and Kindle respectively.

The picture still is not done however and I doubt it will make it by the Saturday deadline.

Unread 25th of April, 2009, 00:59
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Oh yeah, everything else about Princess is up too, but I'm sure everyone noticed by now
Unread 25th of April, 2009, 23:19
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Oh, by the by guys, this is a little nitpicky but.... The Background tag is only used when you're posting a homebrew background, like Possessions, or a rework of Familiar. The tags you want are Manse (for the primary category) and the Manse type, meaning Earth/Fire/Solar/etc (for the second category). I've gone ahead and fixed this already for you guys; but for future reference I wanted to clarify (who knows, you guys maybe capping or gaining new manses at some point, and of course either you or I will be putting the details up in the Forge).

Oh, and Daedalus: Archive provides you with (Manse's level) topics rather than just one, so you can add something else. I personally would go with the slew of Terrestrial-Circle Spells (utility over raw power), but you choose whichever you think fits best.

Also, one last small bit for Daedalus once more: if you could get me a Description writeup for Heso, that'd be cool. And if everyone (save Eternal, he's already done this ) could add clothing descriptions to their Description writeups, that would be helpful.

Expect information on your Bonus Point Rewards today, tomorrow at the latest. Last night was a heavy night for me, and tonight will be similar, so I may be unable to get that done for you today.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 27th of April, 2009 at 05:18.
Unread 26th of April, 2009, 00:51
Eternal
Wight

Sheeeet! I was gonna work on some more art or stories :3 Oh well, I'll do em just for fun sometime later anyways
Unread 26th of April, 2009, 01:10
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

I may or may not reward extra XP in-game for things such as (new) pictures, character journals, short stories, etc. Regardless, certainly please feel free to do more. Fleshed-out characters make me a happy ST.
Unread 27th of April, 2009, 12:33
Daedalus
Mohrg [GM]

Added a description for Heso, and a few Terrestrial Circle spells for the manse.
Unread 27th of April, 2009, 12:52
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Damn, and here I was hoping you'd just get two Solar circle level spells.
Unread 27th of April, 2009, 22:18
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Well, the most he could get with Manse 2 is two thirds of one Solar Circle Spell or a third each of two different Spells. Useful for teaching him about the Spell so he can go seek it out, but aside from that? Not really that great. To get two complete Solar Circle Spells, he'd need Manse 6, or two at Manse 3 with Archives in each.

Nice description Daedalus, that's perfect. I noticed your Spell choices for the Manse, and I wanted to make sure I clarified something before everything is finalized: Magitech will not be playing a huge role in this game. If it even comes up in the first arc outside of scenery descriptions, I'll be surprised. This may or may not make Incantation of Effective Restoration less of a favorable choice. While it obviously works with much more than Magitech (and much better with stuff other than it), I've often seen it taken mainly for exactly this reason. There definitely could be instances at any point in this game where the ability to repair mundane objects quickly would be useful (though I'm not going to promise it at any frequency). I just wanted to clarify this in case there was any confusion on the matter; if you decide to keep it I'll do my best to give you opportunities to make use of it.
Unread 28th of April, 2009, 04:18
Daedalus
Mohrg [GM]

I'm not anticipating magitech being a major point in the game; the spell just seems very useful, and I'd like to have it accessible, even if Heso never actually needs to use it. Also, don't feel like you need to go out of your way to make it a retroactively good choice for me. I mainly chose the spell because it seemed like the sort of spell a tremendous library of (easily damaged) books would tend to have available.
Unread 1st of May, 2009, 10:47
Eternal
Wight

*tumbleweed*
Unread 1st of May, 2009, 16:59
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Boy, it sure is dark in here...
Unread 2nd of May, 2009, 10:07
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Bonus point rewards are up in the respective thread in The Forbidding Manse of Ivy. Please check it, determine your expenditures, and post them in the thread (along with a breakdown of your bonus point expenditures for the standard part of character generation). Though I forgot to mention it in my update of the Rewards thread, I'd prefer it if you guys spent the BP further developing and broadening your characters' abilities. Though you could simply blow the BP on Essence or a smorgasborg of Orichalcum bling, it would be much more interesting for you to increase Attributes, Abilities, Backgrounds, Virtues, etc you were unable to because you were limited in what character generation gave you (how about those dots in Performance for Dragon? ).
Unread 2nd of May, 2009, 18:14
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Eternal: It isn't so difficult. Look for sections where you may have spent more than the standard amount, and just count it up. Also look for obvious things, like Abilities/Backgrounds over 3. I can already see a bunch:

Melee 4 (at least +1)
War 4 (at least +1)
Presence 4 (at least +1)
Athletics 4 (at least +1)
Two Melee Specialties (+1)
29 Ability dots instead of 28 (+1)
More than 7 base background dots (12 total) (+5)
Artifact 4 (+2)
Backing 4 (+2)
Two extra Virtue Dots (+6)

Total is 21 BP

Hahaha, wow, look at that. You'd already spent exactly enough (I remember telling you'd there'd be extra BP, so that's all good). Edit your old post in the Rewards thread with this info.
Unread 6th of May, 2009, 09:19
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Busy Dave is busy.

But really, I've been quite busy with schoolwork the past couple of days. Things haven't gone entirely as planned. I realize we still have some stuff to figure out for some of you (sorry Eternal!!), and there's still some things I'd like to discuss with you, but I have been working to get your preludes up! During few instances of spare time I wasn't out of the house, that is.

Anyhow, one thing that I can openly ask about and that will greatly help me in getting this ball rolling would be this:

Daedalus- where exactly is Heso now? The others have figured out specific locations for the game start (on route to Gem is specific enough for me), but the only information I seem to have from your character thread in regards to this would be that he's roaming the Southern Deserts. I need something more... specific, if possible. If you have an excuse to be in the Gem area, that's abso-freakin'-lutely wonderful - but it's not necessary, either. I just need you to be relatively close. Whether he's with a caravanserai, helping poor villages in the Gem region, or laying the almighty hand of whoopass on some rogue Demons/Sorcerers/Flying Monkeys is up to you, but something like that would really help me. Thanks.

And thanks to the rest of you for your patience. I'll be getting to you through PMs or AIM relatively soon if I need to discuss something with you to finalize all of this. Just stay with me; school seems as though it's taking a short trip through hell, and I'm almost back in purgatory.
Unread 6th of May, 2009, 12:02
Daedalus
Mohrg [GM]

Heso is currently en route to Gem, traveling by minion-carried litter with the intent to begin making some cash and figure out Gem's complex merchant system. I'd wager he's a little under a day's travel before he reaches the outermost outskirts of the city.

That good by you?
Unread 11th of May, 2009, 15:59
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Is it can be playing time yet? We must hurry before Princess goes through more changes in my head.
Unread 13th of May, 2009, 12:29
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Er, while I agree that it probably won't come up for a while, why exactly are all the Solar DotFA charms disallowed?