Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > LonePaladin's Games > Rites of Succession

Unread 4th of May, 2009, 11:15
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Member: #682
I was thinking of being a Mechwarrior, but not necessarily a military brat or born to be into the military. Perhaps she changed from another path to the military due to circumstances, like the loss of her family or loved one during a war or something.
Unread 4th of May, 2009, 18:54
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #152
Stage 3 paths are finished, and I put up something explaining how the skill points you're accumulating work -- as well as a list of the skills each field gives, and how opposing traits work.

Tomorrow, I'll get started on Stage 4 paths (since some of you may be required to take one).
Unread 4th of May, 2009, 20:34
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
Speaking of 'not a mechwarrior' ... you inspired me. Perhaps an aero/space? pilot instead? I'm not really 'that' familiar with the rules for the flying stuff, or the rest of battletech for that matter. Just a basic familiarity with the core book. My point being that I've heard from some folks that aero/flying stuff is game breaking... so if that is true, I can withdraw from that easily.

Since we are going with the rpg style game what is the applicability of special forces infantry style guys/troops? You need guys like this to go in and actually secure an objective or steal the 'stuff' you are after etc etc etc. Right? Will we as a group need someone like that?

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 4th of May, 2009, 23:10
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Member: #894
Well what I was thinking was a group of people with a broad selection of skills that could actually make up a real Merc mech unit. We would need mechwarriors, of course, but we need something like the A-TEAM.
Hannable - Leader
Merdok - acquisitions and pilot
Face - Negotiator, front man, ect
BA - Techie, strong man, ect
The Rich Kid - 'employer' or sponsor or our way of attracting jobs?

All of them can fight (ie Mech-jock), but they each do other jobs as well. I think we have enough players to have a well rounded out group.

Conversely if few people want to be mech jocks then I know my character should go with his Special Forces options instead of his Military Scientist options.

I am looking for a direction that the 'group' should be taking as I would really like to play in a more group centered game instead of one-offs across the Inner Sphere.
Unread 5th of May, 2009, 02:05
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I was thinking of doing a sort of negotiator/mechwarrior. I'll read the character creation bits over tomorrow, assuming my book gets here like I assume, and try to post up a skeleton in the Personas sub-forum by Friday.
Unread 5th of May, 2009, 07:32
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

OK. Thats 6 players.

Mercutio -Mechwarrior/Negotiation (Admin?)
Gibberish -Mechwarrior/Whatever he ends up with!
David - Mechwarrior/(Unknown specialty)
Lando The Archmagi -Mechwarrior/(Previously a Civilian or inherited a mech or something)
Vortigern -Areo-Jock or Mechwarrior with Infantry/Spec Ops background.
Thanos -Mechwarrior/Strategy/Tactics

I am going to kinda randomly do some stuff for Gibberish and see if he likes it, since I am bored and REALLY want to get this game off the ground ASAP!
Unread 5th of May, 2009, 07:46
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Gibberish possible character!
-This is what I would do with it, BUT there are a LOT of options with that 12 roll in there. Taking 2 rolls for instance could go good or bad and not end up as an officer which could give you a reason to become a Merc after a Tour or two. You could also not use that Edge point. I did it to get you onto the Mechwarrior kind of path as a kid, but nothing says you have to use it. It also gimps you a little on the learning side or forces you to take Fast Learner to help out, but the Natural Aptitude sounds very nice.
-I gave you a BUNCH of languages since you get a lot at +1. This would make you a natural asset in keeping a merc group together since you could talk to everybody in their native language.
-This character will not have the exalted levels of Strategy that mine does, but you could certainly dump a LOT of skill points into Tactics/Mech and I could add in Vehicles and Aero-Space. You could be the Up-Front-Charge-Into-Battle 'Leader' and I could hold back and be the main strategy guy with enough Tactics in everything to make sure your superior Mech Tactics can function! I really like that idea.

Magistracy of Canopus
Primary Language: English

• Secondary Languages: Spanish, Greek, Romanian, Urdu
  • Attribute Thresholds: EDG +1
  • Bonus Skills: Streetwise/Periphery +1, choose one: Fast Talk +1, First Aid +1, or Seduction +1
  • Traits: Officer ranks in the Canopus military are purchased; your level in the Commission trait cannot exceed your level in the Wealth trait.
  • Bonus Trait: Stigma/Hedonistic
  • Path Restriction: Military service is mandatory in the Magistracy, so you must choose either Military Academy or Military Enlistment at Stage 3.
WHITE COLLAR
Whether Combine businessmen or Lyran traders, your family was involved in commerce or academia. You grew up in a high-rise apartment, a suburban prefab, or perhaps even a DropShip plying the space lanes. In any case, you led a privileged and sheltered early life.
Attribute Minimums: 4 SOC
Attribute Thresholds: –1 STR
Traits: Wealth
Skills: Academic/Any +1, Language/Affiliation +1
Next Path: High School (2), Preparatory School (2), Military School (2)

Your family immersed you in culture (Art/Any +1, Language/Any +1)

PREPARATORY SCHOOL
These exclusive schools prepare young adults for higher learning. Theoretically, they have superior curricula, but this is not always true in practice. The main advantage of attending such a school is the contacts you make among the upper-class students and their parents.

Attribute Thresholds: +1 SOC
Traits: Well-Connected
Skills: Academic/Any +2, Computers +1, Language/Any +1, Protocol/Affiliation +2
Next Path: Military Academy (3)

Use 1 Edge to roll an 8 instead!
8: You're great at the 'Mech sims, but all that playing rots your brain (Natural Aptitude/Piloting/'Mech, Slow Learner, Piloting/'Mech +1, Tactics/'Mech +1)

MILITARY ACADEMY.
Time: 1 year
Attribute Minimums: INT 3, WIL 3, SOC 3
Attribute Thresholds: +1 RFL, +1 BOD, +1 WIL, +1 SOC
Traits: Promotion, Well-Equipped
Skills: Academic/Military History +2, Leadership +1, Protocol/Affiliation +2, Swimming +2
Fields: Basic Training
Next Path: Advanced Individual Training Subpath (mandatory, part of this pass)

NICE! You can take anything, but I suggest 11.
11: Graduated at the top of your class (Promotion, Vehicle [4], Custom Vehicle; may take OCS next, then return and continue)
Subpath: Officer Candidate School (OCS)
Entry via event roll only
Attribute Thresholds: +1 CHA
Traits: Commission (Rank 1)
Fields: Officer Training
Next Path: Per last path followed; add to its Next Path options the Tour of Duty

Mandatory Subpath: Advanced Individual Training (AIT)
Basic Training graduates only
Time: 2 years
Traits: Promotion
Skills: Leadership +1, add +1 to three Basic Training skills and +1 to any one other skill
Fields: MechWarrior (minimum DEX 3, RFL 4)

Subpath: Special Training

AIT graduates only
Time: 3 years
Attribute Thresholds: Add +1 to any one threshold of your choice
Skills: Leadership +1, +1 to three Basic Training skills, +1 to half the character's AIT skills (round up), and +1 to any one other skill
Traits: Promotion, Wealth, Well-Equipped
Fields::Military Scientist(Int 5) (Now we can have 2, but one is an officer! ;-)

------------------------------

Threshold Mods: +1 EDG, –1 STR, +2 SOC, 1 RFL, +1 BOD, +1 WIL, +1 CHA
MINS: SOC 4, INT 5, WIL 3, DEX 3, RFL 4,

Career/Soldier 3
First Aid 3
Navigation/Ground 3
Rifles 3
Martial Arts/Military 3
Fields: Military Scientist
Academic/Military History 3 +2
Career/Military Scientist 3
Computers 3 +1
Cryptography 3
Strategy 3
Tactics/Any 3
Fields: MechWarrior
Gunnery/Ballistic/Humanoid 3
Gunnery/Laser/Humanoid 3
Gunnery/Missile/Humanoid, Piloting/'Mech 3 +1
Sensor Operations 3
Tactics/'Mech 3 +1
Fields: Officer Training
Administration 3
Bureaucracy/ Magistracy of Canopus 3
Leadership 3 +1+1+1
Pistols 3
Tactics/Any 3
Training 3

Other Skills and things he needs to add on individually with GM help.
Streetwise/Periphery +1
Seduction +1
Academic/Any +1
Language/German +1
Art/Any +1
Language/Chinese +1
Academic/Any +2
Language/Japanese +1
Protocol/Magistracy of Canopus +2+2
Swimming +2
Add +1 to three Basic Training skills
+1 to any one other skill
Add +1 to any one threshold of your choice
+1 to three Basic Training skills
+1 to half the character's AIT skills (round up)
+1 to any one other skill

Slow Learner (Buy Fast Learner with other points to balance out!)
Natural Aptitude/Piloting/'Mech
Stigma/Hedonistic

Well-Connected, Well-Equipped II, Commission, Promotion II, Vehicle [4], Custom Vehicle, Wealth II

Last edited by Thanos; 9th of May, 2009 at 13:49.
Unread 5th of May, 2009, 12:07
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Thanos, got sorta the right idea where I'm going. I'll gladly take any advice if I'm off track any.

I'm thinking House Steiner/White Collar/Military School/New Avalon Institute of Science..

She's the brilliant only child of wealthy merchants who design and build mecha. Probably someone who owns is head of one of the mecha design companies/corps etc. She is raised to inherit the company and learned to repair mecha, but ends up being trained to fight in them when her home is attacked or her parents killed in an attack on the mecha manufacturing plant or something related to it.

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 5th of May, 2009 at 12:13.
Unread 5th of May, 2009, 15:37
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Sounds good to me. Why not make a thread in Personas and put the numbers together, make some rolls, see what turns up? I'll be working on the Real Life paths in a bit.
Unread 6th of May, 2009, 08:45
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Basic rolls and background are up. I'll start totaling up numbers either tonight, or else I'll try to get to it tomorrow while at work. I am SHOCKED at how the rolls turned out. It's nuts.

Last edited by Mercutio; 6th of May, 2009 at 08:47.
Unread 6th of May, 2009, 11:15
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

I'll be putting up a thread in the next couple of days got company coming tomorrow night so I'll likely not be online.
Unread 6th of May, 2009, 11:56
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Your rolls didn't show up correctly. That happens if you try to edit in rolls (even if they are in the right spot). Just make a new post with White Collar and Military School with the rolls under them. Make sure that you declare Edge use though and use 2d6+2 as the roll if you do. Saved my butt from a nasty in the Military Tour section I just did.
Unread 6th of May, 2009, 17:01
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Uh-uh. Can't use Edge until AFTER the roll, and it's the 1-for-1 version. Just remember that doing this lowers your threshold, which will make it harder to improve.
Unread 6th of May, 2009, 17:15
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Just looked over the characters so far; looks like everyone's picking Lyran Alliance for starters, though everyone's taking different routes from there.

With half the group being from House Steiner, it could be interesting if everyone did the same, give everyone a common thread. (It would also avoid possible complications from conflicting loyalties.) Another option is for some people to go with House Davion instead, since the two tend to cooperate with each other — at least, as much as any Successor State cooperates with another.

Standard insomnia time (even after running a mid-level D&D game, I still can't sleep). I'll get some more creation info up.
Unread 6th of May, 2009, 22:04
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Two Lyran's and a Fed so far :-)

Lone Paladin,
What kind of skills do average Mech-Jocks have? Wish I could find something online.

Last edited by Thanos; 7th of May, 2009 at 07:58.
Unread 7th of May, 2009, 12:10
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Your average 'Mech pilot (assuming he's not totally green) will have Piloting and Gunnery skills around the +1 to +3 range. The rules have a conversion table for translating skill bonuses into base Target Numbers, and the general starting point for MechWarriors is a base skill of 4 in each.

Don't expect to start with any skills above a +4 or so. If you do, you've gotten a LOT of early training, and probably have both Fast Learner and Natural Aptitude with the skill in question.
Unread 7th of May, 2009, 13:09
LonePaladin
Mohrg [GM]

Oh, one other thing. When you guys copy/paste the different path runs in your character-building post, can you take the parts that say things like "Any skill" or the like and replace them with the choices you made at that point? I'm looking over David's numbers right now, and I can't quite get where his skills went. (He just summarized the final bonuses, and that makes it hard for me to double-check.)

Posting a summary of everything added up is great, it helps keep everything in perspective. But I need to know where and when you got the things you have, so I can make sure you didn't miss something important.

Also, put your event rolls somewhere that I can see them -- here, or in a post alongside the events themselves. I'm having a little trouble believing that all of you keep rolling 10s and higher on 2d6.
Unread 8th of May, 2009, 01:49
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #3238
Sure can do.
Yeah, I know, when I was rolling the first few, I kept thinking that I should stop, and use the ORP Dice roller instead. If you like, I can redo my events and use ORP's Dice roller.
Unread 8th of May, 2009, 02:53
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

All my rolls are in their respective posts. I have been doing the roll as I post the initial copy/pasted info and then going back to the post and deleting extraneous event information. I probably won't be able to get back to the character creation until Saturday at the earliest.
Unread 8th of May, 2009, 06:42
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

I helped put Mercutio's character together for bonuses. I posted it that way so that he can decide where those bonuses go individually. Its not a completed character. He has to decided on Attributes, Skills, etc.
Unread 8th of May, 2009, 06:49
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
My posting is delayed/halted at current as I'm prepping for a deployment irl, and thus much busier and more tired of late. I will resume when I can, my apologies for the inconvenience.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 8th of May, 2009, 08:50
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

No problems. If you want I will help make your character for you if you give me some guidelines as to what you want.

Make 6 'Rolls' at 2d6, that should cover events and then two 1d6 rolls for certain missions that take longer!
Unread 8th of May, 2009, 11:23
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Hey, I'll take all the help I can get.

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi; 8th of May, 2009 at 11:44.
Unread 9th of May, 2009, 07:30
Thanos
Famine Spirit [Epic GM]

Lando,
I think you went about it very weird and I suggest that you just ask the GM to let you roll up a new character. One that gets onto the military path MUCH sooner. Below is what I hobbled together for you, IF, the GM says its OK and IF you want it.

Free Worlds League (House Marik)
Primary Language: English
  • Seconday Languages: Spanish, Greek, Romanian, Urdu
  • Bonus Skills: Language/Any FWL Secondary +2, Art/Any +1
  • Traits: All FWL characters who receive prosthetic limbs or bionic implants at any time receive a Stigma trait because of the League's widespread anti-bionics prejudice.
  • Path Restrictions: None.
FUGITIVES
Free Worlds League Affiliation only
One or both of your parents were involved in Anton Marik's revolt. You have spent much of your youth on the run or in exile.
Attribute Thresholds: –1 BOD, +1 WIL, +1 EDG, –1 SOC
Traits: Poverty
Skills: Streetwise/Free Worlds League +1, Language/Any +1, Zero-G Operations +1
Next Path: Back Woods (2), Farm (2), Street (2), Mercenary Brat (2)
Fugitives Events
5 The faction opposed to your parent(s) includes you among its enemies (Enemy [2])

MERCENARY BRAT
As mercenary group took you in at a young age. Always on the move, they opted for home (DropShip) schooling. It's what you know. It's all you know.

Attribute Thresholds: –1 INT, +1 WIL, +1 EDG
Skills: Interest/Any +1, choose two: Academic/Any +2, Administration +2, Appraisal +2, Bureaucracy/Mercenary +2, Negotiation +2, Pistols +1, Tactics/Any +1, Technician/Any +1, Training +2, Brawling +1
Next Path: Trade School (3), Technical College (3), Police Academy (3), Military Enlistment (3), Military Academy (3, represents the Outreach Mercenary Training Command), Ne'er-Do-Well (4), Civilian Job (4), Yakuza (4, Draconis Combine Affiliation only)
Mercenary Brat Events
7 Around a mercenary unit, any helping hand is appreciated (Choose two: Career/Any +1, Technician/Any +1, Scrounge +1,

MILITARY ACADEMY
After completing military training, a character must complete at least one Tour of Duty in the Real Life stage.
Attribute Minimums: INT 3, WIL 3, SOC 3
Attribute Thresholds: +1 RFL, +1 BOD, +1 WIL, +1 SOC
Traits: Promotion, Well-Equipped
Skills: Academic/Military History +2, Leadership +1, Protocol/Affiliation +2, Swimming +2
Next Path: Advanced Individual Training Subpath (mandatory, part of this pass)
Military Academy Events
8 (add 1 Edge) = 9 Qualified for cross-training program (May take a second AIT immediately after finishing the first AIT, Special Training or OCS; no more than two AITs may be taken)

Skills: Leadership +1, add +1 to three Basic Training skills and +1 to any one other skill
Fields: Infantry
Next Path: 2nd AIT

Subpath: Special Training
AIT graduates only
Time: 3 years
Attribute Thresholds: Add +1 to any one threshold of your choice
Skills: Leadership +1, +1 to three Basic Training skills, +1 to half the character's AIT skills (round up), and +1 to any one other skill
Traits: Promotion, Wealth, Well-Equipped
Fields: Special Forces BOD 4, RFL 4, INT 3, WIL 5
Next Path: Tour of Duty

Fields:
Mechwarrior DEX 3, RFL 4
Next Path: 2nd AIT

TOUR OF DUTY: INNER SPHERE
From lofty MechWarrior to common grunt, this path is where you put it all on the line. Combat and non-combat military personnel alike must face the enemy in one or more tours of duty. Despite the dangers of this path, a character can earn substantial rewards in skill and rank.
Traits: Vehicle (2) for MechWarrior, Aerospace Pilot, Aircraft Pilot, Cavalry, and Armored Infantry characters only
Skills: Add +2 to any three skills from your Military fields, add +1 to any two other skills
Next Path: Ne'er-Do-Well (4), Tour of Duty: Inner Sphere (4), Police Academy (3), Covert Ops (4, Special Forces or Scout-trained characters only)
Tour of Duty: Inner Sphere Events
6 Heavy combat (+1 to all skills in one Military field, Disability)

-------------------------
All adds up to
Threshold Bonus: +3 WIL, +2 EDG, +1 RFL, –1 INT (-1EDG for use of EDG)

Stat Minimum: INT 3, SOC 3, BOD 4, WIL 5, DEX 3, RFL 4

Traits: Poverty, Promotion, Well-Equipped, Promotion, Promotion, Wealth, Well-Equipped, Promotion, Vehicle (2), Disability

Skills: Streetwise/Free Worlds League +1, Language/Any +1, Zero-G Operations +1
Skills: Interest/Any +1, choose two: Academic/Any +2, Administration +2, Appraisal +2, Bureaucracy/Mercenary +2, Negotiation +2, Pistols +1, Tactics/Any +1, Technician/Any +1, Training +2, Brawling +1
Choose two: Career/Any +1, Technician/Any +1, Scrounge +1, Survival +1)
Attribute Thresholds: Add +1 to any one threshold of your choice (INT?)
Skills: Add +2 to any three skills from your Military fields, add +1 to any two other skills
+1 to all skills in one Military field,

Fields: Basic Training: Career/Soldier, First Aid, Navigation/Ground, Rifles, Martial Arts/Military
Fields: Infantry: Artillery, Climbing, Comms/Conv., Jump Packs, Support Weapons, Tactics/Infantry
Fields: Mechwarrior: Gunnery/B/H, Gunnery/L/H, Gunnery/M/H, Piloting/'Mech, Sensor Operations, Tactics/'Mech
Fields: Special Forces: Blades, Demolitions, Free Fall, Stealth, Submachine Guns, Survival, Tracking
--All these skills start at a 3 skill points (not a +3).

Make up something cool for the disability. Bad digestion, shin splints keep you from running to far making actual Infantry assignments tough.

Last edited by Thanos; 9th of May, 2009 at 08:05.
Unread 9th of May, 2009, 08:16
Lando The Archmagi
Death Knight [Epic GM]

Well as I mentioned previously I was going for a Mecha Tech who ends up becoming a Mecha Jock. Yea, I'm not real familiar what Spheres/choices would've been ideal for that combination. Your build looks alright, mine I think went overboard and in the end she couldn't be military with that event roll.

Well, I could always just watch and see how this game actually goes since I prefer Mekton/Mekton Zeta+ for my mecha gaming.

I did pick a German name for my pc since I was going with that European flair and German engineering etc.