Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Inquiries

Unread 15th of February, 2010, 13:42
World of L Tiene
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #7981
Question Hello All!

I'm just checking around the web for some new forums.

I used to have a long standing game on Myth-Weavers but the relations between myself and some of the admins went south over some of their policies and now I'm looking to move to a new place with several players and two games, one run by me and the other my room mate. The import should bring in roughly 8-12 players depending on various factors.

My game wiki: http://ltiene.wetpaint.com/

Some things I/we desire are:

Dice Rolling
GURPS 4th Ed. character sheets
Private messages
Private threads
Text fields
quoting
site stability
cheater notifications (when people change dice rolls)
and very importantly:
Adult environment. We don't run XXX rated games, but we do have some adult themes in our games. Also, our gamers are all adults.

The games will of course be open to the regular community any time we look for new players, but as of right now we aren't looking for any.

Is this a good forum for this? Would you recommend it against the various competing sites and why?

What other features does this site offer that I haven't mentioned (that don't come standard with forums, such as PM's etc.)?

A speedy reply is appreciated as I'm planning on making a decision soon.
Unread 15th of February, 2010, 16:20
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Hi. There are only four things there that could be an issue.

The first is the charcter sheets. We don't support intergrated character sheets for any system, forcing people to write them out with text like animals or find an offsite resource.

The second, site stability. Since I took over last year I've managed to find new and exciting ways to break the site on average every 3-4 months. Sooner or later I'll run out of fresh ways to do so.

Third, Adult environment. Young children shouldn't be on here anyway, but we try not to be offensive. As a general rule of thumb, all of Team Admin access the forums from work, if someone posts something that gets us fired, we won't shy away from expressing our annoyance.

And last, speedy reply. That one is obvious enough.
Unread 15th of February, 2010, 17:17
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Adult environment. We don't run XXX rated games, but we do have some adult themes in our games. Also, our gamers are all adults.
Raunchy images and real-world political/religious discussion are definitely banned here. If either of those are mandatory to you, you'll need to look elsewhere. However, swearing, violence, angst, and sexual themes have never been a problem--though admittedly, no one has pushed that last one very far yet.

Is this a good forum for this? Would you recommend it against the various competing sites and why?
ORP's main draw, at least to me, is that it's a fairly small, relaxed community. It's a tenth the size of Mythweavers, and a twentieth the size of the GitP forums. Thus, it doesn't take much for new posters to ingratiate themselves with the regulars, including Team Admin. There's just no room for jackasses.

Plus the site design is cool. Coolness is always valuable.
Unread 15th of February, 2010, 17:22
itches

Wait wait wait. There is angst in my forums? I didn't authorise that. I demand names.
Unread 15th of February, 2010, 18:22
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
I second LP's mention of the small, relaxed community.

itches, and the other admins, can sort of afford to take a laissez-faire approach to running things, and if you have a problem they'll take the time to actually deal with it like a real person.
It's not that they're awesome or anything, but instead that things are small enough that they don't really need "managing."

That said, this community is also really resilient, and large enough - it isn't like those tiny RP communities that sort of die off.
Also, it's not insular, and there isn't exactly a small group of "regulars." There's sort of an old guard, I guess, but nothing really exclusive.

Also, itches and the admins are really good at getting rid of spam, and dealing with stupid BS.
Although they're soft when it comes to some things and aren't petty, they also don't tolerate abuse, or things that are clearly out of line.

I might be partial, but it's really quite nice here.

Oh, also also - itches lives in Australia, and is the current guy who deals with problems, which very occasionally leads to problems with outages when something happens while he's sleeping.
For example, the recent DNS (or something?) problem, which got dealt with rather quickly once he woke up and realized there was a problem.

The site is small enough that stuff like that gets dealt with by just one guy, which I do like, but it can lead to problems like that.

Last edited by zachol; 15th of February, 2010 at 18:26.
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 00:00
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
I think I just got called lazy and less than awesome. As a compliment.

If I had a little more motivation and the requisite technical know how, you'd pay for that .
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 01:08
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Originally Posted by itches # Wait wait wait. There is angst in my forums? I didn't authorise that. I demand names.
It's okay, I hid it in private threads.
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 01:34
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
itches, and the other admins, can sort of afford to take a laissez-faire approach to running things, and if you have a problem they'll take the time to actually deal with it like a real person.
It's not that they're awesome or anything, but instead that things are small enough that they don't really need "managing."
The ORP hit squad has been deployed z, make peace with your deities!

Also - this place goes down less frequently than sites that are down for regular site maintenance. The only downside is that there is no forewarning, but honestly, 362 out of 365 days a year of constant operation is pretty exemplary.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 05:54
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
I have been practicing my backhanded complements, yes.
Unread 20th of February, 2010, 02:24
LeeCHeSSS
Psionic Lich [Epic Admin]

Member: #1
To be fair, the last downtime was also my fault. And now that the DNS issue has been resolved, there is absolutely no method left for me to break ORP

"Coolest Avatar Award™ 2005"-winner
Unread 20th of February, 2010, 09:07
itches

I would have said that, but I've discovered in the past that no one believes me when I try to shift the blame onto you.