Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Linklegacy77's Games > To The Arena! To The Death!

Unread 18th of October, 2013, 11:50
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Emen Teller: The Nitty Gritty Details

Emen was ready, he'd been working towards this goal for months, assembling like minded individuals and appealing to investors. It was finally paying off, The Lord Jameson showed faith in him, and Emen had funding. He had a base of operations, he had others searching for gladiators, everything was going wonderfully. Unfortunately, it seemed he was the only one with any real talent in the entire school when it comes to actual negotiations, so it was on him to find reasonable deals for essential services and employees that would not be competing.

Time to get to work. Other than setting out fliers and waiting, or paying for a town crier, the best way Emen could see for finding workers would be to go to the trade guilds and hire from there. It might cost a little more (damn finder's fees), but he'd get quality at least.

Luckily for him, it is not a long work to the trade district, where he'd be able to find most of what he was looking for relatively closeby. Time to prioritize, of course, he didn't have infinite funding, and his partners would need to spend some of it to hire gladiators as well. He hoped they'd at least do a decent job of finding them, and who knows? Maybe they'd leave the actual negotiating to him.

Now, what job to look into first....
Unread 25th of October, 2013, 03:51
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Emen thought long and hard about what was most needed now, and he decided that hiring on carpenters would be best for now. Hopefully he could find one to put on retainer for a little while. He wasn't exactly sure what kind of reconstruction the trainers would need, at least for housing animals, but even just having a skilled builder take a look at the current barracks would be good. Emen didn't think there'd be any serious structural issues, but having another set of eyes to scour through would set his mind at ease. He decided that any carpenter he hired on would also have to have some design skills, maybe not a full-fledged architect, but at least someone who understood the basics. He hated to have to spend too much money on this endeavor, but the builder, or more than one if it came to that, would have to be able to repair furniture and even construct new bits.
Unread 29th of October, 2013, 12:12
Linklegacy77

Emen immediately heads for the carpenter's guild, upon making his decision. They've been a bit tyrannical lately, so finding a carpenter not in the guild is generally considered to be next to impossible. It doesn't take long before he's in their main hall, people occasionally walking in and out, moving from room to room. Some shouting can be heard from the back of the building, muffled. A young man sits in the front with a quill and numerous books, writing into one. He looks up as Emen approaches, and grins.

"Finally someone to talk to, I'm Simon Gressen, apprentice to Master Meridun. What can I do for you?"
Unread 29th of October, 2013, 12:21
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

"Good morning, Mr. Gressen. My name is Emen Teller. A group of companions and I are opening a new school of gladiators. We've just purchased the old barracks and would like to hire on an experienced, but affordable, carpenter to keep on retainer for a bit. I'm not entirely sure of what we might need to have built just yet, but I'm sure it will involve some renovations to the current structure, and maybe some new smaller buildings like sheds or stables."
Unread 2nd of November, 2013, 02:12
Linklegacy77

"You're looking for a long term contract then? Great, are you looking for Master, Expert, or Journeyman quality work? Will he be expected to travel with your school, or just local? Will you be providing supplies for the construction work, or will the carpenter be providing those?"
Unread 25th of November, 2013, 11:26
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Emen thought about it for awhile (longer than he intended, actually), before delivering his response. "I think a Journeyman, as I don't know that we need anything super complex and cost is a concern for right now. Let's say that I'll provide the supplies for now, unless there's some sort of package deal. Is there?"

Unread 28th of November, 2013, 03:21
Linklegacy77

"Our carpenters can obtain supplies through the guild at a reduced cost generally speaking, so it's possible for a contract to include that. Hrm, it looks like Torin is looking for long term work, he's quite good, for a journeyman. He'll probably be promoted in a few years. I'll let Torin know he needs to speak with you as soon as possible once he comes back from his current job, I'll just need your name and contact information, and we'll send him to you with the appropriate seals as soon as possible, should be sometime today or tomorrow. Is there a best time to reach you?"
Unread 11th of December, 2013, 03:41
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

"Any time in the evening tonight would be preferable, but tomorrow morning would work as well. We need to get started soon, although I don't believe there is anything super pressing as far as time or major construction. I would just like to get the back end up and running as soon as possible so that we can get to the meatier work of scheduling matches and earning money. I can be reached at the old barracks, where we've set up shop, so to speak. My name is Emen Teller. Thanks very much. You've been quite helpful."
Unread 11th of December, 2013, 06:56
Linklegacy77

"Alright Sir, I'll make sure he gets in contact with you as soon as possible. Good luck with your school."

Emen leaves the guild hall and steps out into the bustling streets. The scents of fresh food, well traveled bodies, and horse droppings mingle together to form a sort of earthy smell that fills his nose. He takes a deep breath of the fresh air, and ponders his next step.
Unread 16th of December, 2013, 09:06
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Emen didn't really have a plan for what to do next. The school founders needed to get the school up and running sooner than later, but that really meant that there was a need for gladiators and trainers. Giz-Giz was hopefully taking care of a lot of that, but there were other backend expenditures that Emen probably needed to see to. The financier was already on staff, and a carpenter was on his way, so what was next? Emen decided to head after a secretary or receptionist. It wasn't the kind of thing that was strictly necessary, but having a front-end person to handle the day-to-day paperwork types of things was probably a good thing. Especially since it freed up the founders to do their real work in training gladiators and arranging matches.
Unread 12th of February, 2014, 12:50
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Despite that hedging, Emen finally came to a decision. He set out looking for a dedicated recruiter, someone with a bit more experience in setting up a school if at all possible.
Unread 26th of February, 2014, 14:35
Linklegacy77

Emen fortunately had some ideas where to look for a recruiter, and he headed off to The Consecuto. The arena loomed up above him, the cheers and jeers of the fans roaring and nearly deafening as he approached. However, Emen wasn't heading in to watch the games today, but to the recruitment office. Professional recruiters and recruiters-to-be could often be found here, looking through lists of available gladiators.

The noise died out noticeably as he entered the recruitment office, but still bled through the thick stone walls. Inside, numerous gladiators were chatting with each other and with recruiters. Paperwork was being signed, money was exchanging hands, but Emen wasn't looking for the gladiators, at least, not at the moment. Looking around, he spotted a middle-aged balding dwarf who was watching all of the gladiators closely, shaking his head. The dwarf turned, and started walking out, until he saw Emen watching him. Eye contact made, the dwarf waded across the room to him.

"Eh, who're ye? Ye dun look quite like a fightin' type, nor do ye look like ye has an eye for fightin' types."
Unread 27th of February, 2014, 07:20
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

"That is, shall we say, quite an astute observation, sir. I am exactly that which you describe, neither a gladiator nor a recruiter for such. At least, not as yet, nor directly. I represent the interests of myself and several comrades who are beginning our own school. I find that while I am well-equipped to discuss terms, financing, and other seeming frivolities that are the bread and oil basis of business, I am ill-suited to the act of selecting skilled persons to actually fight. So, I am here looking to see as if I can find a talented recruiter that I might employ." Emen looked pointedly at the dwarf. "Might you know of such an individual?"
Unread 27th of February, 2014, 07:37
Linklegacy77

"Oh, ye're lookin for someun who's convincin' and a someun who's knowin' a thing're two about fightin'. I mightun be knowin some people, I used ta be a gladiator, jus retired. There be a durned good eye for it who's knowin' when ta push and when ta give, if you understan'. Her name be Adelyn, durned beauty too, fer a human anyway. She be lookin' for new employment, na sure why. Ya can fin' her aroun' the VIP boxes up topside, ya can't miss her, likes ta wear lotsa green."
Unread 28th of February, 2014, 11:34
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

"That is most helpful. Shall I bring Miss Adelyn your regards, or might you be able to provide an introduction? I find that personal introductions set everyone at ease and can avoid any confusion."
Unread 28th of February, 2014, 12:46
Linklegacy77

"Lad, ya dun wan' ta mention me when ya see her. Jus say ya heard o' the Crimson Falcons an wan' ta hire her. Best o' luck lad."
Unread 1st of March, 2014, 14:13
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

"Well then, you have my thanks."

Emen nodded and left. He made his way topside and headed for the VIP boxes, looking for Adelyn in her green outfit.