Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > LuneMoonshadow's Games > Factions at War

Unread 28th of May, 2008, 10:57
LuneMoonshadow
Zombie Housecat [Epic GM]

Member: #388
Design Discussion

Here is your chance to ask question pertaining to the game in a mechanics and design sort of way. Specific military questions, character questions, and faction inquiries should be kept to the appropriate subforum OOC.

Posts here will be conducted in such a way that a player will post only a question. All commentary will remain in the global OOC as are requests for clarification. Any question spawned off an answer may be placed here.

Questions should pertain mostly to mechanics, design, and general world information that apply to all of the factions. Any question that I deem is too specific will be removed and answered in the appropriate subforum OOC. Keep in mind that I will not answer questions that involve giving names/descriptions of opposing faction personnel or utilities.

Any question posted here will be edited by me to include the answer in that same post so this remains a catalog of questions.

Ask away, players!
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 01:48
Zodiac
Skeleton [GM]

Member: #2976
Q: If we aren't expected to carry gold, is there an equal form of currency in the world? Or is everything traded through services and other goods?

The common exchange of platinum, gold, silver, and copper does exist. However for most lower class citizens bartering is a more common form of trade. The purpose for eliminating the use of coin for characters is purely for ease of use and balance purposes. In reality characters would be purchasing items using coin, but to keep the wealth standards equal across the board this was the most appropriate way. This also gives the characters who are in the military a certain roleplaying dependence on them as well, since they are given everything they need in exchange for their services.

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 6th of June, 2008 at 01:52.
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 01:50
Zodiac
Skeleton [GM]

Q: Is everything in our faction subforums common knowledge for members of the faction? Or would we need a Gather Information check to actually know the stuff in there?

Anything listed in your subforum is known by your character. The only true exception to this is the threads of the other players, in which case you would have to ask around to find out about them. Because you are of the same faction, however, it is assumed that if you wanted you could find out what they are up to. In reality you probably don't know who the person is so you reading their thread is just for your own enjoyment.

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 6th of June, 2008 at 01:54.
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 01:52
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Q: Do you plan on making the faction subforums private and granting access only to those that are part of that faction?

No, the individual factions subforums will not be made private because of logistics. Players have a habit of coming and going and I don't want to bother the admins every time that happens. Keeping them open also allows visitors and people lurking to read along and enjoy the game instead of being stuck with only the Global OOC to read. This is functioning off the honor system, but I trust that people won't look at stuff they shouldn't be (plus it will ruin their gaming experience since it takes all the fun out finding something out yourself).

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 6th of June, 2008 at 01:56.
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 06:54
Seyren Windsor
Ghoul

Member: #2982
Q: Since this is a low magic campaign, what would peoples thoughts and opinions of Spellcasters be? I.E., do people fear people who wield magic?

Those who wield magic are typically very unskilled (meaning they are level 1 or 2 in D&D terms). People don't really give much heed to those with low level magical ability, seeing it as more just parlor tricks than anything else. However, if someone can actually conjure a ball fo fire or something much more impressive then people are incredibly respectful and envious.

Basically just treat magic ability as money - the amount of people with more skill (money) are incredibly rare, but envied, respected, and listened to. Those with mediocre skill (some money) still get respect but their word is anything but law.

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 6th of June, 2008 at 07:57.
Unread 6th of June, 2008, 07:58
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Q: Will there be actual encounters between characters of opposing factions or will the contact be indirect only?

I will not stage encounters, but if players happen to be in the same place at the same time then they have a chance of coming into contact. Such encounters are rare, however, because you are a small group of individuals wandering around a gigantic world. If you do manage to find someone I won't moderate the encounter in any way. So if two players do end up meeting on the battlefield, or in a back alley, then only the strongest will survive.

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 6th of June, 2008 at 08:01.
Unread 9th of June, 2008, 12:47
Grognard
Spawn of Kyuss

Member: #2862
Q: May I use starting money to 'upgrade' (weapons, armor, etc.) my troops or to hire more numbers?

Yes, you can use your own wealth to purchase items for your men. Doing so will of course make them stronger and more resilient, but you also need to keep in mind that if they get transferred or die then you have essentially lost some of your wealth permanently (unless you can manage to get the items back somehow). Likewise, any magical items purchased for your troops still count towards your overall magic item limit.

If you want to hire more troops for your unit you can do that, but they will not be military men. Anyone hired on your own dime is counted as a mercenary and they will not be applicable for any of the military perks (lodging, meals, travel, etc) so if you do have mercenaries under your command you will have to cover those expenses as well. How your superior would handle having mercenaries under your command while you're still serving in the army and on active missions also varies from person to person.

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 9th of June, 2008 at 14:45.
Unread 10th of June, 2008, 09:12
Zodiac
Skeleton [GM]

Q: How will personal increases in wealth not associated with the level structure be applied? More specifically, what if my item crafting takes me over the wealth cap for my level?

I will have to address this on a case-by-case basis, though the items that will be crafted by most players will be mundane (non-magical). I am not so much concerned with this, so I probably won't do anything to limit mundane crafting except basic supply/demand and other roleplay situations just to make sure you're not sitting still crafting away day and night.

However, the limit on magic items is very strict and I do not intend on letting players pass that by any means, not even crafting. Magic items in this game are the power source for characters (outside of class levels) and I plan on keeping it balanced across all individuals. So basically as long as you're not crafting magic items you probably won't have to worry about anything.

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 10th of June, 2008 at 09:34.
Unread 10th of June, 2008, 09:16
Zodiac
Skeleton [GM]

Q: Along the same lines, can I stockpile "craftable material"? Likewise, can I purchase a sort of 'generic' craftable resource that is usable only by my tradeskill?

You can stockpile it if you so desire, but I would recommend just purchasing it as necessary. I don't foresee difficulties in getting resources unless it is either a difficult resource to obtain just by default or some special circumstances have come up (like a supply line was cut). So if you want to have craftable material at the very beginning for later use you are welcome to and yes, you may have it as a 'generic' item for your tradeskill. I will rule, however, that this generic item cannot be 'turned' into anything of special value like a diamond or what-not.

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 10th of June, 2008 at 09:37.
Unread 12th of October, 2008, 08:51
Gnarsh
Banned Fool

Member: #26
Q: I distinctly recall the presence of halflings in this game's olden days. Why are they unplayable now?

The reason for the removal of the race is simplicity. I decided to cut down on this race because it didn't have a defined niche in society. Traditionally they are "jacks of all trades" much like the humans are, but in this world the elves hold true to that facet as well now that they have been forced from the woodlands to the cities. Because of this the Halfling race lacked substance and didn't stand out at all. In the end I decided to remove it because it was one less race I would have to integrate and one less race that would be impacted by war.

I also wanted to remove Gnomes, but the race was already entrenched in a bit or lore with the Dwarves as well as having their own engineering guild (Michanikos). Because of this I decided to keep them in the game and change their flavor to "rare, genius race" instead of the filler that was much like that of the now departed Halfling.

Last edited by LuneMoonshadow; 14th of October, 2008 at 13:18.