Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Tashalar's Games > A Wicked Heart

Reply
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 19th of May, 2015, 03:13
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.34 per day)
Shola Karnatan nods at Iago's explanation and offers a small return smile at Durla's words of thanks. His gaze lingers on Durla a moment as he studies the visitor sitting on the floor, then it returns to Iago as he speaks. "We are here to help. I shall now see if these children ails anything worse than what you have described. Food and clothing will arrive soon as well. Afterwards I'd like to hear where these children are from and who their families are. Now, please stand aside while the children take their place on the bench."

As Iago yields his seat, the High Priest waves the nearest child over. Hesitatingly the young boy takes a seat and lets himself be examined. One after the other, the children sit down before the kneeling High Priest. Some stare at him, some at the golden sun behind him above the altar in awe. When about half of the children have been checked, a man and two women arrive with blankets and food - quickly the smell of fresh bread fills the room and immediately all children converge on them! As happy chatter breaks out, Shola continues his work without missing a step and lets the others handle the children's needs.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Unread 19th of May, 2015, 19:27
Chovihani's Avatar
Chovihani
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member: #10542
Location: in my vardo
Posts: 368 (0.20 per day)
Durla keeps his smile fixed on his face under the priest's scrutiny. By now, he is used to being stared at; elves aren't exactly a common sight in Korvosa, and he is aware that his appearance is strange even for an elf.

When the food arrives, interrupting the proceedings, Durla joins Iago. "This is better," he comments, nodding at the children. "Hopefully, they'll stay out of trouble this time."

He hesitates. "You never told me what happened to Elanor. Is she all right?"
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Unread 21st of May, 2015, 10:40
Basil Bottletop's Avatar
Basil Bottletop
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Member: #10561
Location: Indiana
Posts: 231 (0.13 per day)
Iago plays the dutiful priest for the first time since any of the others have met him. With it turning on so promptly and without reason, perhaps its as much a job as it is a calling for the Brother. But even that has its doubts, because not once does he give any indication that he's doing the requests with any amount of sarcasm or irony behind them.

As food arrives, Iago joins the others in dishing it out to any who are interested. When Durla catches him off to the side, he lowers his head so as to not be heard by the children or Shola Karnatan. "As we escaped, she chose not to leave." His tone is matter-of-fact and he moves through another round of passing out warm clothes and food. This time as he passes, he pauses briefly and utters, "Lamm is dead." and lingers long enough for a reply if Durla has one.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Unread 2nd of June, 2015, 19:28
Chovihani's Avatar
Chovihani
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member: #10542
Location: in my vardo
Posts: 368 (0.20 per day)
Durla regards Iago with a wide-eyed look that somehow manages to convey both surprise and satisfaction. "Good," he finally says. "He was a blight. He needed to be cut out." There is no savagery in his voice, just an undertone of regret.

Then he moves away to help with handing out the food. As he happens to pass Iago again a little later, he adds, "But was Elanor all right when you last saw her?"
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Unread 7th of June, 2015, 20:55
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.34 per day)
The chatter of the children slowly picks up as the tension in the room lessens. One by one they are treated, clothed and fed. The two women quickly arrive at the conclusion that what they brought is entirely insufficient and they leave once more to get more clothing and food.

Durla earns a few smiles as he helps handing out the food, but then returs to Iago to inquire about Elanor. Sol stands near them, his back against the wall. He studies the proceedings closely, his expression thoughtful. Skint is sitting nearby, eating his fill and ruffling Kolba's fur every now and then.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Unread 8th of June, 2015, 10:25
Basil Bottletop's Avatar
Basil Bottletop
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Member: #10561
Location: Indiana
Posts: 231 (0.13 per day)
The High Priest loses need for Iago eventually and he's able to go about assisting in the other tasks of the room. With Durla helping with food, that leaves Iago with the effort of removing laundry from the room. The white-clad priest comes and goes twice without much conversation before Durla catches him again, his arms full of stained or torn cloth that's either been worn or used in the assisting in the children's wounds.

"Last I saw her she was standing. Not sure where she was headed though." It's clear that Durla's concern for the girl outweighs Iago by ten stone.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Unread 14th of June, 2015, 23:01
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.34 per day)
Suddenly a scream echoes through the chamber and everyone turns to face the source. Luckily, it it is but a scream of joy as several of the children jump up to meet a boy standing at the entrance, eyes wide as he looks about. "It's Koru! Koru is back," the children shout - not giving any thought to the respectful attitude normally exhibited in this holy place.

Next to Koru - who starts smiling widely as he's rushed by two boys and a girl - stands a newcomer. The young woman is dressed in fine grey robes, bears the holy symbol of Pharasma gleaming blue and white and carries a basket filled with an assortment of herbs and flasks.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Unread 15th of June, 2015, 20:09
Chovihani's Avatar
Chovihani
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member: #10542
Location: in my vardo
Posts: 368 (0.20 per day)
Durla greets both the boy and the unknown young woman with a wide smile, looking exactly like someone being reunited with long-lost relatives. He remembers the boy - Koru - from the fishery and allows himself a moment of joy that the boy obviously decided to return to safety rather than stay in the streets where Lamm's minions might still roam.

He nods at Iago, acknowledging the priest's words, before turning back to the newcomers. There is no trace of wariness or mistrust in his manner as he approaches, still smiling.

"Hello. I'm called Durla. Are you a healer? Some of these children have sores on their legs. They haven't eaten naturally in a while, either. And you, Koru - I hope you're all right. We have food and drink if you're hungry."

He looks like he would have prattled on for a while longer, but he catches himself with another smile. A breeze is pleasurable. A gale is not.

Reply With Quote
  #59  
Unread 16th of June, 2015, 02:43
witchwolf's Avatar
witchwolf
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Member: #10623
Posts: 67 (0.05 per day)
Ebony thanks the sisters and startles a little at the scream. She sees its no danger only the joyful reunion of friends and a broad smile beams from her lips as she watches the children embrace. She recognises a few faces as those other children missing from the orphanage. It gladdens her heart to see them safe.

Durla approaches and introduces himself, Ebony returns his smile a little shyly and nods at his questioning if she is a healer. "I'm Ebony" she says softly in a voice that clearly belongs to a native of the city, like her clothing it has tones marking her as one who hails from one of the affluent districts.

"Koru came to find me after the escape" she smiles at the boy fondly "he thought I may be able to help the others" She looks back up to Durla "I've brought some supplies, not much just what I could grab on the way, I can send for more in the morning...though I suspect my note will have some of the order coming to check on the children anyway. I did not realise there would be so many." she admits.

"Koru has sores too, I've treated them...but they will need further looking after. I can offer some healing for the worst hurt..." she adds and gazes about the room seeing that they were already in the process of healing and helping the children.

She blushes "But you all seem to be in good order...I'm sorry...tell me were you need me and I'll get to work" she finishes a little unsure now. She is questioning the wisdom of her presence now, rushing over the city at night, bustling into another's temple of healing! Oh she is going to be in trouble in the morning! Egin is not going to be happy with her.


Last edited by witchwolf; 16th of June, 2015 at 02:45.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Unread 22nd of June, 2015, 18:03
Chovihani's Avatar
Chovihani
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member: #10542
Location: in my vardo
Posts: 368 (0.20 per day)
Durla never loses his smile as Ebony does all the prattling he did not allow himself to do. "Thank you," he says sincerely when she finishes. "No need to be sorry. We can use all the help we can get. It's never good when children suffer because grown-ups do evil things."

As soon as he says this, he realizes how little he really understands about all this. It is very easy to just mark Lamm as a disease and eradicate him, but what if there is some other underlying function of this great city-being that needs Lamm to do what he does? Was Durla's decision to go against him rash and ill-considered?

But then his face clears. No. Nothing can justify letting children suffer. Freeing them was the right thing to do.

He realizes that Ebony asked him a question of sorts. "I... don't really know what we need you to do. I'm not well-versed in the healing arts; that's to say, not versed at all. But maybe Iago over there can tell you." He nods towards a perpetually scowling man dressed in Sarenrae's garb.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Unread 24th of June, 2015, 10:51
Basil Bottletop's Avatar
Basil Bottletop
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Member: #10561
Location: Indiana
Posts: 231 (0.13 per day)
More than once Iago had to leave and retrieve more cloth, but each time he did it without a word of rebuttal from the High Priest. Upon his return, he'd simply go back to the task of placating any of the requests of his elders.

At the appearance of the newest arrivals, Iago gives a glance and continues on with his work. The commotion of the children also gains only the slimmest of acknowledgement at first. Actually, until Durla mentions him specifically to Ebony, Brother Iago looks the least attached to the entire situation.

But at the mention of his name, the white-robed priest pulls himself away from his task. He instantly looks irritated with the interruption. "I would beg you to ask the High Priest, since you intend to bring another into Saranrae's house of worship." He looks at the man who's clearly in charge. "Or you could just get to task." He says with a shrug.



Reply With Quote
  #62  
Unread 30th of July, 2015, 05:55
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.34 per day)
Koru is quickly brought back into the fold as more children converge on him when he joins them on the benches. Ebony feels many curious glances looking her over as he reports what has happened in a low voice. Then the high priest beckons her forward, introduces himself as Shola Karnatan and listens to her story. His gaze rests on her for a moment before he nods, offers a faint smile and welcomes her. "Please, feel free to aid where you can. There's nothing physical amiss with these children that we cannot take care of, but I fear for what their life in the past has done to their mind and spirit." The high priest frowns in contemplation as he regards the children and then dismisses Ebony with a nod.

The bustle continues for a little while longer and everyone does his or her share. Then one of the women returns at a brisk pace. She is carrying a pile of clothes and hastily dumps it on a bench. Not caring at all that it slips and mostly drops to the floor, she quickly walks over to the high priest. As she whispers to him, his eyes widen momentarily in what seems like fear. He quickly regains his composure, but he simply stares ahead, frowning. While none of you could've heard what the woman had reported, she hadn't taken care to hide her words from the boy sitting on the bench in front of the high priest. The young boy looks up at her and the high priest and then turns towards the other children. In a whisper as loud as only a child can whisper he informs the others. "The king is dead!"

... silence drops like a curtain.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Unread 30th of July, 2015, 18:58
Chovihani's Avatar
Chovihani
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member: #10542
Location: in my vardo
Posts: 368 (0.20 per day)
At these words, Durla freezes, eyes wide. Several thoughts cross his mind at once.

There will be chaos - these things happen; surely there is a system in place for when it does - I have to be with my parents in case there really is chaos - there are enough military types to restore order - it's not like it was unexpected; the successor surely is already being crowned - still, it's a perfect moment for usurpers to do their usurping - even it that's so, there is nothing you can do about it -...

After a moment, he merely says, "May his soul rest with his god."
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Unread 2nd of August, 2015, 02:25
witchwolf's Avatar
witchwolf
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Member: #10623
Posts: 67 (0.05 per day)
Ebony nods in wholehearted agreement to Durla, "No child should suffer as these have, or be so abused." she agrees. He points out the priest and suggests she should inquire of him for what needs doing and she smiles her thanks gratefully.

As Iago looks over to them she inclines her head and smiles a greeting. His words strike out at her and her smile falters. His is right, she should have addressed the master of the house, but the sisters had welcomed her. The tone and attitude is one she is only too unfamiliar with, and the brightness in her dims as she bows her head in apology, retreating into herself.

"Of course, my apologies brother." she says in a small voice, even softer than before, barely above a whisper. She was going to say more when high priest beckons her forward. Meekly she steps forward and quietly introduces herself at his request and explains her presence.

When he dismisses her she steps back, her hands clasped before her she sees even more clearly what her actions must seem like to them, the bravado she had felt crossing the city at night on a mission to save wounded children seems very foolish now that she had had to retell it out loud to the high priest. She knows if she was actually an initiate she would be facing penance for a month at least when her mentors find out what she has been up to.

She resolves to help since she is here, then when dawn is upon them return to the grey and not get any more grand ideas. Lady of bones save her.

She is about to seek out useful employment of her skills when the innocent voice of the child drops the news to rock the foundations of the city. The king is dead.

Her downcast eye shoot up, wide and round as her mouth drops open to from an O. Her mind rushes through the sea of political implications in a fashion her mother would be proud of. Who was the heir...how would it effect the balance of power in the city, amongst the nobles...how would it affect her own kin and the marriage alliances they had carefully crafted.

Durla's words draw her out of thought and she looks at him, then adds "May the lady judge him fairly."
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Unread 2nd of August, 2015, 22:28
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.34 per day)
At Durla's and Ebony's soft comments, Shola blinks and snaps out of it. He doesn't deny the boy's words as he slowly gets up. "Take care of the situation here," he states simply, his gaze going from the woman to Iago. Then he crosses the room with a few quick strides and leaves.

The woman seems somewhat at a loss for a moment, then she smiles with some effort and moves over to the children. "You don't have to worry, this is something the adults will take care of," she offers feebly. Slowly everyone halfheartedly continues what they were doing while thoughts revolve mostly around the consequences of what has happened.

After about ten minutes - which seem to last much longer - an initiate enters the room and motions Iago over. Standing together at the entrance, he reports in a whisper. "Bring those other adults to the small prayer room across the hall and to the left. Leave our helpers to take care of the children." Having conveyed Shola's orders, he hesitates and adds a few words on his own accord in a whisper. "There's bound to be trouble in the streets. I think Shola wants the children to be out of the way somewhere safe."

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Unread 7th of August, 2015, 11:36
Basil Bottletop's Avatar
Basil Bottletop
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Member: #10561
Location: Indiana
Posts: 231 (0.13 per day)
No matter the news, Iago knew that his task was only half finished. He continued with the work- which soon assisted as a way to ignore the proclamation - until he is interrupt by Trunch. After he's spoken to, Iago looks up to realize that most of those inside the room are either guest or even below his status within the temple. The realization seems to bring some surprise to him, but it quickly washes away with the burden of responsibility.

Iago drops his task just as quickly as he'd taken it up. It clearly meant as little to him as was appropriate and was forgotten with the same amount of neutrality. He moved toward the female priest and her newest friend, Durla. "We are being called away." He says it with some sense of urgency, even if his face relays nothing of the sort. "The children will be fine." He mutters as an after thought.

Reply With Quote
  #67  
Unread 8th of August, 2015, 07:29
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.34 per day)
When Iago signalizes his assent, Trunch immediately turns on his heel and vanishes back into the corridor while Iago goes to collect the others. Durla quickly assuages Vi that he'll be back shortly and follows the white-robed priest alongside the others.

Following Trunch's directions, Iago quickly finds the prayer room the initiate had described. Looking inside he spots Shola in conversation with the head of the hospital, Boran Toris, a gaunt, elderly but tough man with deepset dark eyes. Iago hesitates for a moment...

"... anyone who isn't of help."

"... clashes ... evacuate ... need the room. "

Shola spots Iago, indicates him to Boran who turns and falls silent and waves him forward. Boran glares at Shola and hisses "get them some place safe. Immediately. The streets will not be. Believe me." Then he turns and hurries past Iago and the others who are in the midst of entering. If Ebony hadn't moved aside respectfully he would've had shouldered past her.

All eyes turn to Shola expectantly and the high priest doesn't waste time with any preambles. "The children have to be moved immediately. The streets will soon not be safe any longer." His gaze shortly focuses on Iago as he continues. "These halls will shortly be full of... of people in need of Sarenrae's blessing. Everyone who cannot be of help needs to make space." He pauses, looking unconvinced for a moment. "The children have all been tended to, but it'd be good if you could accompany them and see them to safety... again." Now he is including everyone before turning to Iago. "You'll lead them to the orphanage in East Shore." Then he turns to the others again. "Will you aid brother Iago in this task?"

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Unread 8th of August, 2015, 08:02
witchwolf's Avatar
witchwolf
Zombie

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Member: #10623
Posts: 67 (0.05 per day)
Ebony follows the priest and other adults with a smile and quick nod of assurance to Koru before she goes. She is quiet, not quite sure of herself or why she would be asked to come along.

Shola explains the situation and charges Iago to lead the children to safety. He asks if they would go with them. Ebony doubts she will be much protection for them, but she can be an extra set of eyes and body to keep them all together. That at least will be something, and she can't just leave them without knowing they were safe.

"I will go." she says quietly.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Unread 13th of August, 2015, 00:37
Tashalar's Avatar
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member: #1799
Location: Castle Korvosa
Posts: 5,971 (1.34 per day)
"That is good," Shola comments with a nod. Then Sol steps forward. "I'll get them through any check points we encounter. Many of the guards on duty will still recognize me," he adds without further explanation. Shola throws him a searching look, but then simply nods again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Unread 17th of August, 2015, 19:29
Chovihani's Avatar
Chovihani
Shadow

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member: #10542
Location: in my vardo
Posts: 368 (0.20 per day)
Durla clearly looks unhappy at the mention of the word "orphanage", but he says nothing. Vi won't like this. But she'll be safer there than in the streets. I wish I could take her with me, but the way the sands are whispering, she won't be safe with me, either.

"Of course," he finally says. "I'll help the children get to safety. What safety there is," he adds, letting his skepticism towards the orphanage finally show.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 02:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren