Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Chris Chandler's Games > Epicureans

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 8th of July, 2008, 15:35
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
The Moors, Ruins of Wescote Manor, Mordent, Early Morning (Mizuki)

The skeleton of the burned-down manor is easy to pick out against the backdrop of the waning sky. The chimney still stands, as do a few of the inner walls. There is no longer a roof, though, and the corpse of an ancient oaken-treant lay collapsed like a deadfall across the ruins. The smell of peat, smoke, and scorched metal rings through the air.

The letter was from a Lord Godfrey. It was in a hand you did not know - you had it translated by an old scribe. She said it was similar enough to a language she'd come across in her travels, and that is how it read now, a loose translation of some foreign tongue, but it was clear that it was an invitation, a request for assistance, signed by this Godfrey fellow.

The directions were simple enough, though the insistance of travel by ship was an unfortunate delay. That, of course, was where the troubles began, the ship. The fog bank that appeared put the crew on alert, but it seemed to quickly disperse. You did what you could when the ship suddenly, inexplicably breached a reef. You can hear the screams now of the crew. Some you were able to pull to safety. Others, it was if the tide itself reached for them. You brought men to the craggy beach, isolated, not near a settlement. There was nothing around, except for the spot of flame in the distance, a distant campfire, perhaps, to the east.

Satisfied that the crew was able to manage the remainder of the recovery, you headed out. The crew did not know where they were, did not understand how their charts could have been so plainly mistaken. The beach led to dunes which led to a rocky plain, which, in turn led to a packed dirt road leading northeast and south. The northeast leg led here, the ruins of a manor in the middle of a moor, a lifeless, stale moor.

The letter said to meet this Lord Godfrey at a Heather House. There is no indication of just what this ruin used to be.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!

Last edited by Chris Chandler; 12th of July, 2008 at 04:44.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 8th of July, 2008, 23:22
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
Has Scratch been travelling alongside the ship?

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 12th of July, 2008 at 06:06.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 12th of July, 2008, 13:34
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
As far as you can feel, she's nearby. You sense that she isn't too comfortable approaching the ruin, but she's close enough for you to tell.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 13th of July, 2008, 07:47
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
I check the horizon for signs of that fire I saw before. I also look around here for what might have driven the life away, for signs of dead heather on the moor.

As I look at my surroundings, I also pull out my translation of the directions. If they were simple enough, maybe I'll have some indication of at least what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 16th of July, 2008, 01:39
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
The fire is very close, actually. From your vantage now it is low in the moors, just off this rise, not quite a mile. From here it looks sizable, a bonfire, not a camp fire.

The translation:
Please be cordially invited to the abode of Lord Godfrey, Heather House, within one week of receipt of this letter. Lord Godfrey would like an audience with you regarding a proposition of a most delicate nature. Please follow the Arden River road into Mordentshire, the continue south through town.

Your servant,

William Godfrey, Lord of Mordent
The invitation is less than precise, specifically depending on the recipient to have some bit of foreknowledge of the region. You received the invitation 5 days ago.

You feel, rather that hear the groaning, at first, a deep rumble from the ruins. You see that the treant is... quivering, like an oak in the breeze. It is groaning.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 16th of July, 2008, 23:34
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
I realize that the treant isn't a corpse, and feel immediately horrible for not investigating sooner. I drop down and check out the situation, preparing to lay on hands and relieve as much pain as I can quickly. I opt for Sylvan. "Hello, friend."

((I've had this holding for about a half hour waiting on a response to the color question, and decided that's silly. I'm going with sky blue for now. It's readable, pretty, and doesn't seem to be a very popular choice in general anyhow. I'll go back and change if necessary later.))
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 17th of July, 2008, 13:29
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
The rumble shifts to a loud creak, and wood splinters and cracks as the great creature lifts its body up. Nearly 30 feet high, and just as wide, the treant stands, the burnt bark of the treant sheding like ash. The eyes that show the spark of great wisdom glow dark red like cast off embers. You sense deep hatred within this shepherd.

Friend to whom, little fey? Your kith are all dead here; the river is dead. Do you seek a home here, little one? I can accommodate you quite nicely.

The last word is spoken with such monstrous bile that it leaves no doubt to the nature of his... proposal, though it does not move any closer toward you.

You are close enough to attempt to heal this creature, and it is certainly nearly dead.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 18th of July, 2008, 00:25
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
I'm sure there is hate. It would be hard NOT to hate, if my world were so destroyed. I will not judge him because of what I see in his death throes, nor will I heal him without his permission. I also understand if he chooses death.

So, I laugh, sincerely charmed. "A predatory treant! How interesting! Though I hate to disappoint you, I was only offering my aid. I have no need of a home, particularly here. I doubt you could accomodate me as easily as you think." At that I smile, and looking around and sensing no one else, I let a flicker of my true self shine through for his eyes alone.

"I can tend to your wounds, though, if you wish. You seem mortally wounded."

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 18th of July, 2008 at 23:49. Reason: somehow the word "judge" wasn't in there.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 18th of July, 2008, 13:10
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
Little river-daughter, you hold no power here. You are... from beyond the mist, yes? Then you cannot know where you are.

He trembles, most of his leaves falling, then embers of his eyes starting to fade.

No, little child, should you try to tend to my roots, I would surely kill you for your kindness. I hold no love in my heart any longer, but I will grant you an answer, should you ask it, before my spirit truly dies.

Another shudder and he speaks again.

Please, too, when I am no more, burn me to cinders, for if you do not, I shall return a revenant. Now, do you have a question, or shall you start a fire?
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 18th of July, 2008, 23:59
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
My smile disappears. I was hoping for hope. My eyes sting, but I hold it back. "Of course I will perform that honor for you. I hope you may find love, or at least peace, once more.

As for my question, well, I think you have pointed out to me where my ignorance is greatest. Where am I?"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 21st of July, 2008, 12:49
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
The booming shudder is frightening, especially after you see that is laughter. It is short-lived, because the treant simply does not have the strength.

Very... well. An... answer that... with get you... nowhere. You are... beyond the mists, in the... country of cursed Mordent, the realm... of that devil Godfrey... though... though... he too... is a prisoner to the mists. This... is the... realm of... Dread, forever... locked away from the... living... living, breathing world. Forever locked away... Locked away... Away...

And the treant's eyes die down, a flickering testament to the tortured soul of the shepherd. Rather than collapse, the treant settles down, creaks, and moves no more, still upright.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 22nd of July, 2008, 12:15
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
I will look around and decide if it's safe enough that the fire won't spread. I doubt it will be a problem, seeing the already wrecked moor, but if it is, I'll clear land in a circle around the old one's corpse, and produce a flame to burn him to cinders.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 22nd of July, 2008, 12:27
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
It doesn't take long. The old shepherd's trunk was dried and broken, and the bark goes up like paper. Your pyre rivals the bonfire down in the moors, to be certain. You smell the oak turn to flame and cinder, and it will soon go to ash. For some reason it as if the gloom cast upon the moor lightens ever so slightly.

With his last request completed, the treant's spirit is free to leave this place.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 23rd of July, 2008, 00:52
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
I will stay, respecfully silent, with the remains until it is finished, and all the cinder becomes ashes. After the heat has disappated, I will touch the earth with hope of blessing any remnants of plants left in the soil. My aid can only help the land, and I'll center the enriched soil on the remains of the Old One, in a circle, hoping the growth will catch and spread.

It seems as if I may have come at this place from the southern end, but I'm still not sure. I'm looking around for the riverbed as I wait and work.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 23rd of July, 2008, 12:25
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
You touch the ground and it is as if you are touching the turned soil of a fresh grave. You shudder involuntarily as you work forth your divine power into the nearby plants. You have to maintain a great degree of focus, calling forth life into the flora.

You see that the bushes and weedy grasses spring forth. A few seedlings stiffen and clear over your head and the ivy that was on the side of one of the ruined walls of the manor explodes, engulfing the entire fallen structure. Amidst the ashes of the treant's husk a small oak sapling pokes through, returning the cycle to the land.

You are definitely turned around. There are no moon or stars on this overcast evening. The river, you believe, is a bit south from here, away from the bonfire, which is what you would consider southeast, if you are oriented correctly.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 24th of July, 2008, 05:45
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
Time to stretch my wings then. I'll get an aerial view of the land, since I'm not quite sure where I am.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 25th of July, 2008, 08:31
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
You do so quite as naturally as would a bird. The clouds hang low in the sky and it is difficult to make out the landforms below you, but your suspicions regarding the river being to your south are confirmed. It is, truly, not very far, either. You, likewise, spot the dots of a number of campfires at the point where your ship's crew struck camp after coming ashore. These fires seem due west. From this height, too, you are also able to see the soft glow of what is most likely a settlement to the southwest, possibly near the coast.

You feel the wisp of air of Scratch skirting you, though the creature is both hidden and quiet right now. The friendly grasp of your companion's tail only your left calf is comforting, for you both, it would seem.

We'll, of course, expound on this, as well.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 29th of July, 2008, 05:33
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
On viewing the ground below you are reminded of your discussion with Orestes, the man who knew of Mordent.

The invitation was nothing, an ornate scrap of paper. This Lord Godfrey was no person you'd known, and could have been any corrupt lord looking for favor, for, certainly this invitation reeked of foul deeds yet to be carried out. You received solicitations any time you stayed in an area longer than a fortnight, and truly, not all were as bluntly untrustworthy as this, but enough had been to nearly dismiss this invitation out of hand. You might not have heard of Godfrey, but Mordent had an unnatural ring to it.

It had been years since you had heard the name for the first time. Always wary of the tall tale and of supposed curses, the description of this distant land was darker, more sinister, more controlling than most. It was this old memory, a dark tale from the oracle Vadoma, with whom you studied in your earliest travels. She called herself a Vistani, a wanderer of "The Mists", and she described the realms of the damned within these mists. All sounded horrific, certainly tales more intending to frighten than elucidate, and all sounded fantastical. You had learned though, that much of the lore you learned from Vadoma was more... practical than first realized.

Her tale of Mordent was of misery and murder, of a family killed by a father, of a young woman tortured and blinded, left to die, of a people forever tormented by the restless souls of the family that still ruled them. It seemed unreal until the invitation.

Vadoma had died years ago, and with her death went the lore she held. She had no one to leave anything. No one else knew of this place, at least within the heartland. Travelling to the coast, to the largest port city, would prove nearly as fruitless save for one man. Old and dark like Vadoma, he had the eye of madness, and was left to drink to his death by a innkeeper who was in his debt.

Orestes, too had been to Mordent, had been throughout the Mists, describing them as some sort of uncharted archepeligos, lost to memory. He described a land that should be full of life, soft rolling farmland in a quaint river valley, beautiful old homes, and a picturesque town, but it was, in fact, a land of death and decay, where people lived in fear of those restless spirits. He recognized the hand of the Lord Godfrey, was able to confirm the message from your earlier translation, and, most importantly, was able to tell you how to travel to Mordent.

A local fishing trawler regularly went close to a shoal that barred entry into the mists, though the captain knew that there was a way past. He had no interest in going past the shoals unless there be good pay and a place to unload his catch. Orestes also said that the only way to travel to the mists was by ship. Birds would fly through the mists but never find land. A wizard looking for Azalin, apparently some sage, decided to travel through the mists, and found nothing but dense fog for his trouble. Orestes said that the way he understood it the land was enchanted or cursed to only allow passage by ship.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 29th of July, 2008, 12:32
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
I reach for Scratch, instinctively. "Let's see what else there is to see. This looks like a place that needs us."

With that, I'll find my familiar place on her back. I'd prefer the vantage of the air for the time being, and more especially being in physical contact with Scratch. I don't like these mists, and don't fancy losing her in them. We'll fly towards the river, looking for a road. If there is one, I'll follow that into town.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 30th of July, 2008, 05:44
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
Scratch fades in and out, her form a gossamer veil in the night air. You alight upon her back and she takes the opportunity to tumble in midair, losing about 100 of your 130 feet, then laying out and powerfully beating down to skim the ground of the moor before pulling up and heading up so high that the fires that so drew your attention are now nothing but the flickers of fireflies.

The dark outline of the river is a still hard to see, but somewhat better outlined now and the nest of fireflies some miles to the mouth of the river betray the form of civilization - a proper town, if a small one. As you move toward the flicker of the lights you make out what looks like a post road heading directly into town, seeming to intersect with the small river just north of town, and just before the river empties out into what looks to be a small bay. From this vantage, too you can see that the camp of your ship is some miles to the north, off the road. It seems like you should have passed by this bit of coast, where the town is situated, but are certain that you did not.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 30th of July, 2008, 06:44
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
I lean in to Scratch's ear. "Let's go towards that town. Can you make the road out? If we're lucky, this should be the Arden River, that will be Mordentshire, and if we continue on, we'll be looking for something that could look like a Heather House. I say we stay up high and spiral down on what we think it is....

While we're safely far away, what's your preference? Do you want to come with me, or stay outside? This place is pretty ...odd, so I thought I'd let you choose, since our normal routine might be a bit inappropriate. I'd be glad to have you with me."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 30th of July, 2008, 23:35
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
Stitch giggles at your whisper into her ear -

I'm not staying out to be watered with the horses, if that's what you mean, sis. I'm going in with you. I'll hide, but I'm not about to let you out of my sight. I see the road; I'll down toward it.


With that she begins her descent, and heads over the river, toward the bridge. As you close on the bridge you begin to see the construction of the town. The bridge is short, but sturdy, and well lit with lanterns. You can also see now that there is a small pool formed by the mouth of the river, just before the bridge.

The road into town goes from packed dirt to cobble, and you can see that throughout the town. It is positively picturesque. Buildings are close together, but not crowded, or like adjacent townhouses, as in a larger city. The streets are wide and clean, and all the buildings are in excellent repair and beautiful, many with large bay windows to display goods. The streets, like the bridge, are well lit, though it should be noted that you don't see anyone about. It is late at night, though.

You see that in the center of the town there is a large market area, with many stalls, all covered for the night. The cobbled road continues through the town, and the entire market area is cobblestone. Smaller streets run a circuit through the town, and you do note that there is a small pier at the edge of the town. two fishing boats moored to it. There looks to be a second bridge very near the small bay, allowing a small road from town head into a copse of trees and to what looks like a big old temple.

Now then, as you are flying over the town, is there any place in particular where you want to land, or do you want to completely skirt the town? It looks like the main road heads south out of town.
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 31st of July, 2008, 00:11
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
Yes, we'll skirt the town. Like I said, I'm looking for something south of town that might be Heather House. When we find it we'll spiral the house, making sure we have the right place and have an idea of what we're getting into.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 31st of July, 2008, 01:01
Chris Chandler's Avatar
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1475
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 6,856 (1.46 per day)
You follow the road that leads out of the town and it quickly comes to an intersection. It is actually entering a road heading from another copse of trees and heading south into more woodland. Scratch lifts up above the canopy and sees that there is a large manor situated on a wide lawn, dotted with well tended trees, and lit lamps leading up to the doorstep. The ground slopes up here slightly and in the far distance you make out the lights of another building. The manor you see, though, seems the most likely candidate for Heather House, at least based on the little information you have from the invitation.

You spiral around the house, and it, indeed, seems a nice, well-maintained manor home. None of the other houses nearby seem to fit the suggestion of a manor given the title of Heather House. There are lights coming from the inside, and you sense movement from the interior, as well. There are no outbuildings, sheds, or any other accouterments to the grounds, though it is well kept with a simple garden in the back. There is a narrow dirt path leading to the other building.

Any specific questions before you proceed?
__________________
Our son won't stop doing math, honey!

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 31st of July, 2008, 01:30
LadyGlutter's Avatar
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2781
Location: entropy chamber
Posts: 4,344 (1.06 per day)
Yes. What time of evening is it, roughly? Even though I might see movement inside, I'm unclear how long into the night I think it is, based on when we crashed and all that has occurred.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 20:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren