Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > SinbadEV's Games > Forgotten

Unread 4th of July, 2009, 23:06
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Member: #1798
Location: North And East, But Not Far Enough East to be French.
Ooc

So I've posted a little introduction thread, feel free to post once you've figured out your character name and personality... it will only be conversation and Floyd, being a robot, will not be susceptible to things like diplomacy or sense motive checks... so this is something you can do before finalizing you character sheets.

Also, might want to use said intro-thread to describe your character physically the first time you talk...

Also, might be a good idea to build some relationships up (albeit meager ones you've formed in the last few weeks) Example... Barbarian who was a Wizard is drawn to the Wizard because he feels himself a kindred spirit, though the relationship is strained/ the Warlord and the Warden recognize in each other a lust for battle... or whatever.

Last edited by SinbadEV; 5th of July, 2009 at 06:35.
Unread 5th of July, 2009, 09:04
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
This is further down the magic as technology road than I expected. I'll need a little extra time to think about how this affects my character.
Unread 5th of July, 2009, 10:56
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Wizards are still wizards, they just happen to be able to do it professionally... Also, feel free to ask questions about the situation or work out your personality issues with Floyd.
Unread 5th of July, 2009, 22:04
Viro
Ghoul

Member: #408
How much memory of our previous life do we have, if any at all?

Nothing

Vague impressions

Ideas and flashbacks without specifics

General understanding

Specific memories broken by large forgotten gaps

Chains of events without a identity attached

Something else...?

I ask, specifically before writing a background...
because absolute lack of memory means absolute lack of personality. Who we are is *defined* by our memories. If those are stripped away, we start fresh and begin building a personality (quickly) based on the personalities observed. Very similar to a child, but do to an increased comprehension of the whats and whys associated with observed behavior, done at an increased pace. Amnesia victims often have fully constructed a new personality in a week to a month depending on their level of interaction with other people or forms of responsive stimulus.

Last edited by Viro; 5th of July, 2009 at 22:08.
Unread 6th of July, 2009, 01:54
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

Member: #17
Robots, eh? That has me taken a little aback. Still, I'll hopefully be able to put my sheet together on Monday evening after work.
Unread 6th of July, 2009, 06:22
Greyroar
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #7432
hmmmm this messes up my idea a little...I was planning on using the Deva race from the PHB2.....should i choose another race?
Unread 6th of July, 2009, 11:43
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Make whatever you want, think of the robot as a golem embodied with a spirit of intelligence and bound to the task of psychotherapy if it helps... I mean, warforged are essentially autonomous robots if you stretch your imagination a bit...

@Greyroar (and the rest I suppose)
If you make a character that doesn't fit in with my story line I will fix my story line... A Deva would probably be REALLY pissed off that not only was he resurrected instead of reborn... but the process seems to have stripped him of countless lifetimes of memories.

Speaking of the state of your memories.

Uhm... I don't really know much about the psychology of amnesia... at all... I was just using it as what I had hoped would be an interesting plot hook... namely giving all your characters the Alice in Wonderland effect without your characters acctually being in Wonderland (allows me to attach NPCs to you at will aswell, "hey, I know you, here's a piece of your past that I could be lying about.").

So, Your Minds are Blank, your personalities are a few weeks old and have been shaped by your interactions with Floyd, Each other and the other residents of Ward 2B along with Floyd allowing you to interact with the possessions that were found with your corpse. At the start of Chapter 1 none of you will have any notion of your past lives... any background information you provide me about your character is not information your character has knowledge of... my plan was to give you flashbacks as you come into contact with things you are familiar with...

Also note that for the first few encounters I will be getting my feet wet at DMing... so if you happen to notice some obviouse attempts to get your characters trapped in a dungeon with some Monster Manual default Level 1 Encounter groups... this is just me trying to get my bearings and does not neccessarily reflect the color of the entire game.

Meanwhile... the amnesia was also supposed to allow you to shape your character as the adventure unfolds, so feel free to PM me ideas you may have about your characters past that I could work in.

Last edited by SinbadEV; 6th of July, 2009 at 11:47.
Unread 6th of July, 2009, 18:08
BigRedRod

I think the most off-putting thing about the robot is that he's called Floyd Although I see what you're going for setting wise (for a good D&D setting which uses the high magic levels to properly impact civilisation, I'd take a look at the Eberron setting. They have "warforged" as a race, who are essentially sentient golems and magic trains and such like.

Edit: Also, could you not write in non-standard fonts and/or small sizes for body posts? It makes it quite hard to read / breaks immersion. Sorry, just a pet peeve.
Unread 6th of July, 2009, 22:20
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Sorry, I hadn't realized they were non-standard for the following reasons: 1, I wrote up that text in OneNote and copy-pasted it over which must have grabbed the formatting... and 2, I view this web-page in 150% zoom because I have trouble reading the default font... I will be careful with that in the future.

Also, I'll look into Eberron for more inspiration.
Unread 7th of July, 2009, 01:10
BigRedRod

I think all I have to do now is sort out my numbers and all of the crunch is done. I'll do that once I get home.
Unread 7th of July, 2009, 04:16
LeadPal

I've been having some trouble getting online lately; I'll try to post the sheet tomorrow.

So, Your Minds are Blank, your personalities are a few weeks old and have been shaped by your interactions with Floyd, Each other and the other residents of Ward 2B along with Floyd allowing you to interact with the possessions that were found with your corpse.
Oh, good. I was worried about how my character would realize what he's lost without having any evidence of it.
Unread 7th of July, 2009, 06:13
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

So, no-one wants to join in on the group therapy?
Unread 7th of July, 2009, 15:20
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

Member: #1746
I've been perusing the books and jotting down ideas all evening. I'll pick a concept and make the character sheet tomarrow after court.

"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law." - David Dinkins
Unread 7th of July, 2009, 16:53
BigRedRod

Originally Posted by SinbadEV # So, no-one wants to join in on the group therapy?
I'm not finished my character yet, so it'd be madness for me to post. Also, it's a very odd start. Robots and therapy have me tipped a little, so maybe this applies to the others and they are just grappling for a handle.
Unread 7th of July, 2009, 18:16
BigRedRod

Right, I do believe that is my sheet complete. Hurray for me.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 02:21
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

I posted some more "Immediate Surroundings" Setting information in a new thread... I am planning on keeping the setting secret to allow you characters to discover it on the fly... If you see something you want more detail about or you want your characters to explore and it doesn't happen to be something I've figured out myself, I'll make something up to cover the holes...

The majority of my DnD experience has been with a DM who is really good at just letting players do whatever we want and shaping the world to fit it... for example he had expected us to escape the city that was being attacked by a hord of orcs but we joined with the city guard in defending the city... instead of telling us no he just had the orcs tear through line after line of city guards while the walls of the city were crumbling around us... and eventually we turned and ran thinking we had failed the quest he had intended for us... we didn't find out that he had intended us to work our way through a zombie infested city sewer until the end of the session.

Last edited by SinbadEV; 8th of July, 2009 at 02:24.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 03:51
LeadPal

I have a fairly lengthy post in mind, give me time.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 04:13
LeadPal

The formatting of my sheet went off, and I still need to pick feats, but it's good enough for now.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 05:40
LeadPal

What does Floyd look like?

Also:
Today you have all come together into Floyds office for an optional group therapy session, just to pass the time.
Can the therapy be non-optional? I'd like Rema to be... somewhat less than an ideal patient.

Last edited by LeadPal; 8th of July, 2009 at 05:46.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 06:12
elmer_jok
Spectral Spam [Epic GM]

Member: #1746
Hello everyone. It looks like I'll be joining you. I'm still overwhelmed by all the possibilities of characters in 4E at the moment, but I'll lock onto one concept this afternoon and wrap it up into a character sheet.

I'm thinking of a real intellectual rogue perhaps. I'm curious as to what their abilities look like in 4E.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 06:23
LeadPal

Here's an example.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 06:37
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Alright, let's make the group therapy non-optional aside from you choice of time within the week to attend it... I just wanted to ensure that you were all there together by choice. You are probably all attending the last possible time slot, which could have been why you all met together the first time, you've likely had 2 or 3 of these sessions together.

Last edited by SinbadEV; 8th of July, 2009 at 06:45.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 06:56
LeadPal

Hmm. Alright; I think Rema tried to destroy Floyd on the first session, and has been restrained for this one.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 07:15
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

If an inmate has attempted to destroy Floyd they would have learned that he is always repaired to full function with all of it's memories intact until the point of his destruction... most guests become tired of destroying him, especially since it only leads to annoying questions about excessive and misplaced aggression and additional scheduled sessions... Thaumco doesn't feel that restraining guests is productive to their recovery and mental health... though in some cases they use what amounts to a tractor beam to ensure that recalcitrant guests attend scheduled sessions. If your character really has the level of resistance to continually resist after 3 weeks then you probably would be restrained in this way... basic freedom of movements within the confines of your assigned seat.
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 07:20
LeadPal

I'll PM you about the tractor beam, and my longer post. Shorter post coming within a few hours.