Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Eidolon

Unread 4th of September, 2004, 09:03
Jade Sabre
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #914
*poor newbie looks around in confusion*
Maybe if I read the storyline I'd know what was going on...oh, well, why bother? This thread is hilarious enough. but I'll go read the story anyway.
Unread 4th of September, 2004, 09:05
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
If you can figure out the storyline, you'll be a step up on the rest of us here.
Unread 7th of September, 2004, 22:20
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
“ *poor newbie looks around in confusion* ”
Actually, reading the story isn't a bad idea. Chapter 1 is very different than the other chapters though, so keep that in mind while reading. Things are alot less chaotic these days than they were back in the beginning.

And if you are curious about how this game works (as you seem to be, judging by your question in the Uncognative Cackling forum), you've come to the right place. You are in luck, because I just finished revising the game rules (and the rest of you all thought I was crazy).

Start here. That should give you an idea about how the game is run. Reading the story with those rules in mind help you understand how things work. If you have any questions, post them here.
Unread 12th of September, 2004, 10:40
CTrunks
Skeleton

Member: #715
Alright, I'm finally on a stable computer that doesn't have Microsoft Word, which means I lost everything I had for a revised Torgan. So, I'm going to change my idea and go with a...half-elf cleric. Expect something awesome and such this month. o.o;
Unread 12th of September, 2004, 11:14
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Bets on how many ideas CT will go through before settling on a character? He's on his third now...
Unread 12th of September, 2004, 11:19
CTrunks
Skeleton

...hush, you. Despite my lack of pointing it out, I was kidding. I'm still going with a dwarf barbarian...I just need to redo everything.
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 21:52
Gralhruk

“ Originally Posted by Ctrunks I need to know some things about 3.0, seeing as it's the only accepted style ”
I don't have aim but if you have specific 3.0 questions, just ask. In the meantime, here is a link to some online SRDs. They have both 3.0 and 3.5.

Edit: There was a post that I was responding to. It was here a minute ago. Really.

Last edited by Gralhruk; 22nd of September, 2004 at 21:54.
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 22:01
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
I saw it too, can you detect it's presence with your foul moderator powers?

Oh, and this is the site I prefer, due to the html.
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 22:03
CTrunks
Skeleton

I was going to try and use the rules in the NWN (Neverwinter Nights) manual, but the SRD works, too. Thanks...

...and, uh, about that post. A high-level wizard did it.
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 22:03
Gralhruk

“ Originally Posted by Itches Oh, and this is the site I prefer, due to the html. ”
Very nice, except that he wants the 3.0 reference document. The site I linked has a number of SRD compilations for both 3.0 and 3.5. Additionally, if you had bothered to check, you would have noticed that some are downloadable, some are online, and some are both.
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 22:08
itches

Feck.

I too blame the wizard!
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 22:09
Gralhruk

Damn wizards and their secret Citadels!
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 22:17
CTrunks
Skeleton

And don't forgot those wizards who live in their towers, creating new undead creatures to throw at hapless adventurers who simply wanted to get a bottle of frickin' milk...
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 22:22
itches

I'm suddenly sized by a strange urge to take and post a picture the milk in our fridge.
Unread 22nd of September, 2004, 22:43
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

Member: #12
Another good thing to keep in mind is that half of us don't really pay attention to the details and intricacies of the rules. Hell, the only time I touch Cadrius's sheet is when I need to level or update his equipment, that's it. The rest I just feel out and try to play as honestly to the situation as I can.

My point? Don't get too bogged down in the 3.0 rules. Focus more on the story and the RP and you'll be fine.
Unread 23rd of September, 2004, 22:35
CTrunks
Skeleton

OK, new and improved Torgan...it isn't as "good" as the old one, but I actually like it more than I did the original.
Torgan Stonesmasher, Dwarf Bbn3/Clr1

Personality: Torgan is a wild, somewhat uncontrollable warrior. He hasn't had much contact with the other races, with the sole exception of gnomes, so he is wary and suspicious of pretty much everyone. He downright doesn't trust half-orcs, though he can work with them, and will gladly smash the skull of an orc, goblin or giant in without a second thought. However, he also has a peaceful side, preferring the open road over the cramped confines of the caves, and claims his wanderlust is a blessing from his deity, Hanseath.

History: Torgan is not what one would call a normal dwarf. At a young age, he was more violent than most, storming around the halls of Boulderstarg and generally raising a real stink. By the age of thirty, his parents were fed up and could only hope that time spent with the disciplined dwarf commanders. However, in a stark contrast to all those dwarves who were similarily being trained, he simply did not take to it. Compared to those who had spent their lives following rigid order, keeping themselves in battle formations that usually cause orcs, goblins and giants to wet their pants in fear, Torgan was still extremely volatile, throwing himself headlong into enemy ranks with his axe swinging, often hitting friends and foes alike. The clerics of Hanseath, dwarven god of festivities (drinking) and war grew interested in the young barbarian and drew him into their ranks, possibly turning him into an even more dangerous warrior than before. After one incident where he nearly decapitated one of his closest friends in his barbarian rage, the King of Boulderstarg exiled him. Not overly shocked, and looking for a reason to explore the surface (hopefully killing giants as he went), Torgan packed up his gear and set out into the surface realm...
Unread 29th of September, 2004, 11:36
CTrunks
Skeleton

*notices the zombies shuffling through the topic*

o.o; Weird...
Unread 29th of September, 2004, 22:28
Cadrius

I have some thoughts on your background again, but I'm a bit strapped for time at the moment. I hope to hook you up with some, hopefully, helpful comments today or tonight.
Unread 29th of September, 2004, 23:25
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

It looks okay, I just wonder about the whole distrust of half-orcs thing considering we already have a half-orc in the game.
Unread 29th of September, 2004, 23:31
Gralhruk

I'm more concerned about the "hitting friends and foes alike" thing. Doesn't sound like the kind of guy anyone wants to be around.
Unread 30th of September, 2004, 03:38
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
Yeah, I've been busy lately too, but I got some time now so I'll give you my thoughts on it. I have two major qualms with this "revised" version of Torgan.

First off, his personality is really against organized teamwork of any kind. Granted most of our characters here aren't necessarily inclined to work together for the most part, they've mostly managed to find various reasons to work together. This Torgan is, quite frankly, more inclined to kill his teamates rather than work with them.

To put it quite frankly, this guy is too much barbarian and not enough dwarf.

And his background is kind of lackluster IMHO. For a generic dwarven barbarian (if you could ever have one of those) his background would be fairly sufficient. I'd probably even okay it for a game that was just getting started. But for this game, I'd say his previous background was better.

Really, you didn't need to change the character last time, so much as alter or add a few things in his background and personality. Other than those few minor things, it was actually fairly good. This new one isn't quite up to par IMO.
Unread 30th of September, 2004, 06:24
Cadrius

Okay, here are my thoughts in their typical long-winded and self-important format.

“ Originally Posted by CTrunks OK, new and improved Torgan...it isn't as "good" as the old one, but I actually like it more than I did the original. ”
I suppose that's fine as long as you're happy, but don't simply scrap a concept simply because some of it requires work to fit in.

“ Personality: Torgan is a wild, somewhat uncontrollable warrior. He hasn't had much contact with the other races, with the sole exception of gnomes...He downright doesn't trust half-orcs, though he can work with them, and will gladly smash the skull of an orc, goblin or giant in without a second thought. ”

My first, and most obvious question, is why? You start of by saying he hasn't had much contact with other races but especially distrusts half-orcs. Why? And why is he happy to work over the other goblinoid and giantkin? Was his home under constant threat? Did a half-orc interloper betray their trust? Having strong opinions about the various races isn't a problem, I'm just seeking motivation for them.

“ However, he also has a peaceful side, preferring the open road over the cramped confines of the caves, and claims his wanderlust is a blessing from his deity, Hanseath. ”
This much works reasonably well. A dwarf who actually likes the road runs fairly well against the typical grain of "Oy! I likes me dank caves!" (Editor's note: Ew.) Yet my questions stem once more to motivation. Why does he have this wanderlust? Was it actually given to him by Hanseath? Or is it simply an odd quirk? To build on those questions, how does travelling satisfy his wanderlust? Yes, he wants to walk down the road, but what gives him satisfaction from doing so? Does he like seeing foreign lands? Does he like meeting new people? If the latter is true, consider amending his suspicions of "pretty much everyone."

What does he think of Hanseath? The priests? Is he particularly religious? Does he have any rituals?

“ Torgan was still extremely volatile, throwing himself headlong into enemy ranks with his axe swinging, often hitting friends and foes alike. ”
Question: why would a military system based on order, from a society that's lawful no less, allow for a soldier to behave like this more than once? Unless the dwarves were in dire peril, I imagine they would outright ban any man from the field if there was a risk of him attacking his own. Yes, the clerics were interested in him, great, but consider exploring what happened in between his first fight and when they took him under his wing. Was he locked up for a time? I doubt dwarves would take the assault of a fellow soldier lightly.

“ After one incident where he nearly decapitated one of his closest friends in his barbarian rage, the King of Boulderstarg exiled him. ”
See above. How would they allow him anywhere near a military unit? If he was a member of a small group used as shock troopers I might buy it. Even then, if there's a risk of each member flipping out and attacking the others, wouldn't they send him on solo missions?

“ Not overly shocked, and looking for a reason to explore the surface (hopefully killing giants as he went), Torgan packed up his gear and set out into the surface realm... ”
Not overly shocked? Didn't he care he nearly killed one of his closest friends? More over, who are his closest friends? He seems quite difficult to befriend given that he's notoriously violent and can fall into a blind rage.

Killing giants along the way? That's wishful thinking, right?

In summation, I think Torgan has potential but needs some tweaking and some thought to make him work. I concur with the sentiments that he seems
too volitile to work with others. Some friction is great, too much is a hassle. Coming in and being overly belligerent against, say, half-orcs is a great way for the rest of the party to not accept him.

My suggestions are to go back and really think out the motivation for his actions and his personality traits. Consider moderation when it comes to his flaws and try to enhance his virtues. Try making him someone that others would risk their lives to be around. He needn't be a paragon of virtue, but he does need some sort of draw. Torgan doesn't have to be cuddly, but he does have to be at least partially malleable.

Oh, and no randomly attacking others, not without a great plot reason.

Edit: fixed a missing tag.

Last edited by Cadrius; 1st of October, 2004 at 01:16.
Unread 7th of October, 2004, 21:47
CTrunks
Skeleton

o.o Remember me telling Plague to hush up about no more ideas? Yeah, well...to be honest, I have three different dwarf barbarians running in three different settings off of here, and since it's basically the same idea on all sides, I'm going to go for something interesting and fun. Something that you guys don't have.

...no, not a bunny. Hush. That's right, I'm going to be...a half-elf psychic warrior! A character that I've never, EVER tried. EVER. Because I (still) don't know fecal matter about psionics.

EDIT: Forgot something...hold on...

(Kidding, I wouldn't change ideas AGAIN...that's just cruel, inhumane, evil and downright stupid. Besides, psionics is so complicated...I mean, come ON.)

Last edited by CTrunks; 8th of October, 2004 at 09:13.
Unread 7th of October, 2004, 22:18
Cadrius

Okay, here's the deal: pick a concept and stick with it. This is the second time I've thought over your character proposal, posted my thoughts to help you out, and then see you bail in lieu of another idea. So helping you with these previous dwarves has really been nothing more than a waste of time. Everyone knows I love to hear myself talk, or in this case see myself write, but I'm really not doing this for my own benefit here.

So if you want this psychic concept, great. Go for it. Yet stick to it. Don't have us post a critique of him or her only to have you swap out for yet another idea.
Unread 7th of October, 2004, 22:26
Gralhruk

*waits for CTrunks to change his character again*