Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 4th of July, 2014, 01:48
Moriarty
Tiny Zombie [GM]

Member: #10587
Some Game Ideas

Hey all!

There were no takers for my suggested Changeling game, so I figured I'd throw up this thread and see if any of the following net interest. As it stands, I've two or three of my off-site friends willing to play in whichever proves most popular; posting the game ideas here is merely a means for me to find a few additional players.

The first game is Star Wars. Played using the 'Edge of the Empire' and 'Age of Rebellion' rules (and the 'Force and Destiny' ones when they're released), this campaign would take place during the classic era, and would focus on the escapades of a small gathering of individuals - whether they end up joining, or working for, the Rebellion would depend entirely on them. =)

Another game I'm keen to start up would be Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm a massive Whedon fan, and have access to the Revised rules - so it just makes sense to throw this up as a suggestion. The story would take place after season seven of the series, when Slayers everywhere began awakening to their powers; our campaign would focus one of these individuals, and the people who help her.

Final option is Marvel Universe - because, who doesn't love a superhero game? Not sure when I'd set it, or where, but those details can easily be figured out prior to the game's beginning.

Let me know if there are any takers for the above. If there aren't, I've a host of other games I can recommend as alternatives. =D I'm just keen to get something moving.

Last edited by Moriarty; 4th of July, 2014 at 09:25.
Unread 4th of July, 2014, 14:12
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
I'll admit the Edge of the Empire stuff has always intrigued me so I'd be interested in playing it, but I don't have any of the books.

Winner of the 2011 Coolest Avatar Award
Unread 5th of July, 2014, 11:56
Moriarty
Tiny Zombie [GM]

It's my favourite of the systems - I suppose you COULD make do without the books, if you're keen/ready to learn as you go, but it'll be slow going.

The system is, essentially, this: based upon abilities, difficulties, circumstances, etc. you form a dice pool consisting of positive and negative dice; these dice result in successes or failures, and advantages or disadvantages. Failures deduct from successes, and disadvantages deduct from advantages. If you've even a single success left when all is taken into account, you accomplish what you set out to do; having advantages or disadvantages adds other factors to your result beyond simple success/failure.

For example, say you're trying to slice into a system to net some information: you roll more Failures than Successes, meaning that you do not get what information you need; however, you get an Advantage or two, and so the GM states that you gain some other, useful intel that will help out, but not with your immediate problem.
Unread 8th of July, 2014, 06:31
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
I think I would be interested in giving this a shot. That definitely sounds like an interesting mechanic. Sadly I've checked around and no one in my area has a copy of the book, so I'll have to wing it to some degree and get some help learning the rules.

But yeah, I'd be down for this.

Winner of the 2011 Coolest Avatar Award
Unread 11th of July, 2014, 03:15
Moriarty
Tiny Zombie [GM]

Spoke to my friends, and some of them are having difficulty in getting their hands on the rulebook(s) for Star Wars; because of this, we've agreed to start with the Buffy game.

In the future, if things go well with Buffy, then I'll work toward starting up an EOTE/AOR game. =) You'll be more than welcome to join me then, if you're still interested.