Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 6th of May, 2013, 23:03
Church
Spectre [GM]

Member: #10480
Action, Conspiracy, and the Paranormal

Hey folks,

Since playing through the newest Tomb Raider title (and a few of the old Metal Gear games), I've been itching to run a game that is very action orientated, but also places great emphasis on survival, team work, and things not always being what they seem.

To this end, I'm going to see whether anyone would be up for playing a D6 Adventure campaign (a WEG system that's free for download from drivethrurpg) that focuses upon the initial (and possible future) adventures of a group of normal friends, family, or strangers, who are driven to the exceptional by circumstances beyond their control. In a not too original set up, the group is travelling aboard a ship that is wrecked and forced ashore by a deadly storm on an island that is marked upon no modern map. As the only known survivors, they are forced to rely on their natural skills, each other, and their own cunning to survive, discover what's going on, and make their escape.

Designed initially to only be a short campaign, this game could, in theory, expand into something more (if the players enjoyed it, and if the inspiration kept coming). It'll be a story about epic adventure, but also be tale about survival, team work, sacrifice, and smart decisions.

If this sounds interesting, then I'd recommend getting the rulebook and giving it a quick browse. Characters can come from all walks of life (within reason); they should ideally have some connection to one another, but this isn't essential - the fact that they'll need to work together to survive gives them reason enough to work together.

Anyone who liked the new Tomb Raider, the FarCry and Uncharted games, or anything similar, should probably give this a look. It's not expected to be a long game, but it could be a fun one.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Church; 6th of May, 2013 at 23:06.
Unread 6th of May, 2013, 23:49
Church
Spectre [GM]

Member: #10480
In hindsight, considering that this'll be a short campaign, it'd probably be best run using the Fighting Fantasy rules rather than the WEG ones. The former uses only three stats - Skill, Stamina, and Luck - and 2d6 to handle pretty much all situations. The addition of some house rules (weapon accuracy/power affects Attack Score/Damage, nonlethal attacks build up subdual damage rather than dropping Stamina, etc.) would make this work better.

Due to the simplicity of this system, I'd be happy to teach it to anyone who was interested. It's a good system for allowing maximum focus on roleplaying and narrative interpretation.