Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Closed Thread
Unread 4th of February, 2013, 06:58
Church
Spectre [GM]

Member: #10480
Star Wars, anyone?

Hello folks!

I've been interested in running a Star Wars rpg for a while now, and think that this might be a good site from which to run it. That is, of course, provided I get enough player interest.

I was thinking of setting the game in one of two different eras: either the Old Republic era (say, pre-Treaty of Coruscant), in which case the players would be heroes working for the Senate and Jedi Council in order to investigate, and halt, the invasion of the Sith Empire; or the second choice would be a game that runs the length of the official saga, beginning just prior to Episode I and finishing after the events of Episode VI.

In the case of the former, I'd aim to run the game using the West End Games D6 system, albeit with a few combat house rules to make it more forum-friendly. Heroes would be more experienced than the book's standard setup: they'd begin with 28 skill dice rather than the basic 7.

If I went with the latter idea, then I'd run the game using the Wizards of the Coast d20 system (Revised Core Rules, not Saga). Heroes would begin at 1st level, and would have the opportunity to advance all the way to 20th. Working for the Senate, the characters would have the chance to influence the events of the films as they progressed through their stories.

Would either of the above campaigns interest anyone here? Personally, I am leaning more towards the Old Republic/WEG campaign myself, but understand that there's little point in choosing that over the alternative if my prefered choice nets zero player interest. I'm looking for about 4-6 players in either case (and as I like to provide lots of detailed descriptions and focus primarily on story and character/character interaction, I'd want each of those four players to have similar interests).

Last edited by Church; 5th of February, 2013 at 04:26.
Unread 4th of February, 2013, 21:44
Church
Spectre [GM]

After a fair bit of consideration, I've decided to focus my efforts on recruiting for the Old Republic campaign, rather than the saga era alternative. To that end, here's a little more information on the proposed game that might help to find me some interested players.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Campaign: As mentioned previously, this game's story would begin before the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant. The Sith Empire has yet to return to the Known Galaxy, and the Republic is still settling back into the uneasy peace won for it after the Mandalorian War and Jedi Civil War. Roughly 300 years have passed since the events of the Knights of the Old Republic games, and the Battle of Yavin is still a few thousand years away.

Though I will be allowing each player to begin the game with 28 skill dice instead of the standard 7, I will only be allowing my chosen players to place a maximum of 3D into any single skill - whilst slightly restricting, this does ensure that each hero is more well-rounded and capable, and means that we each hero won't end up a one-trick pony.

There are two exceptions to the above rule: each character may have ONE skill in which he may have 4D placed, which represents his or her chosen forte; and the 3D limit applies to general skill levels, and not to specialties.

I will be allowing Force Sensitive characters, though I will only be accepting a maximum of two such characters for the game (at least to begin with). Anyone who wishes to play a Jedi character may do so, but he or she must still spend attribute dice in order to gain their first 1D in Control, Sense, and/or Alter; once the player has purchased the first D in each skill, he may then increase the skill using dice from his skill pool (to a maximum of 4D per skill (because my limit of only allowing +3D to any single skill ignores the first 1D in the case of Force Skills, which is gained by forfitting attribute dice), or 5D, if one of your Force Skills is chosen as your character's particular forte).

A character may begin with 1 Force Power per full D in each skill. The power chosen MUST be associated with the Force Skill in question. Force Powers that count as 2 or more powers (eg. Lightsaber Combat) use up an equal number of "slots" for the purposes of choosing Powers in this fashion.

For example: one player decides to begin the game with Control 3D, Sense 2D, and Alter 2D - this allows him to choose 3 Control Powers, 2 Sense Powers, and 2 Alter Powers before the campaign starts. The player decides to take on Concentration (a Control Power), Enhance Attribute (another Control Power), Lightsaber Combat (a Control and Sense Power), Telekinesis (an Alter Power), Life Detection (a Sense Power), and Injure/Kill (an Alter Power). Added together, this selection totals 3 Control Powers, 2 Sense Powers, and 2 Alter Powers.

Regardless of how many dice a Jedi character begins the game with, he or she will still be a Padawan for the purposes of the overall story, and as such will still be receiving instructions/orders from his or her Master.

I will not be accepting villainous or anti-social characters into the game. Whilst not every hero needs to be an out-and-out do-gooder and saint, he or she should be a good person at heart, and should - when the chips are down - strive to do the right thing. Han Solo is a good example of this; Boba Fett - who is ruled more by a desire for credits than by his conscience - is not.

Let me know if the above appeals to you!

Last edited by Church; 5th of February, 2013 at 04:25.
Unread 6th of February, 2013, 19:32
Church
Spectre [GM]

Though I initially intended on closing this thread, I found that I am still in possession of a HUGE desire to play a Star Wars game set in the Old Republic. Is there no-one else who would be interested in playing?

Last edited by Church; 7th of February, 2013 at 22:12.
Unread 8th of February, 2013, 13:41
Keylan
Skeleton

Member: #7431
I would be intersted in playing if you still want to run a game
Unread 8th of February, 2013, 20:04
Church
Spectre [GM]

That is still my intention. Have you used WEG before? And did you have a concept in mind?
Unread 9th of February, 2013, 00:48
Keylan
Skeleton

Member: #7431
is that the d6 verson of Star Wars? Yes I would play a scoundral or pilot so somesort.
Unread 9th of February, 2013, 01:35
Church
Spectre [GM]

It's the revised and expanded version of the d6 rules, yes.

A scoundrel or pilot could work, provided he had Republic ties. Are you in any games presently?

Also, are you comfortable with my posting requirement (I'm a big fan of posts that are somewhat lengthy, but are also detailed - and like my players to be, too)?

Last edited by Church; 9th of February, 2013 at 19:26.
Unread 28th of February, 2013, 22:47
Church
Spectre [GM]

Would a D6 Star Wars game prove more popular if it was set during the Dark Times/classic era? This would allow the characters a chance to explore the galaxy as it exists at the time of the Empire's ascendance.
Unread 28th of February, 2013, 23:21
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
There aren't a large group of unattached potential players floating around Orp these days
Unread 28th of February, 2013, 23:29
Church
Spectre [GM]

So I see.

Ah well, it's not a problem. I'm enjoying running my Vampire game, and that's more than enough for now; I suppose I'm only really pushing for Star Wars because a campaign for it has always been on my RPG 'to do' list. Not essential, though.

To be honest, if I find myself with the urge to run a second game in the future, chances are that it'd probably be another White Wolf game rather than a sci-fi: maybe 20th Anniversary Werewolf the Apocalypse (when it's released), or Changeling the Lost (with a Swedish setting, just to spice things up a tad).

Or, as an alternative, a game of Grimm - I'm big on fairytales, especially dark ones.

Last edited by Church; 28th of February, 2013 at 23:59.
Unread 1st of March, 2013, 10:51
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
I don't have a lot of time for games right now, and while a star wars game interests me, I don't think I could commit to one, and I've never really been a huge fan of d6 systems.
Unread 5th of March, 2013, 05:34
Church
Spectre [GM]

Originally Posted by Linklegacy77 # ...I've never really been a huge fan of d6 systems.
I wonder if this is a wide-spread view? If so, it might be a reason as to why I've had little/no interest in a potential campaign.

Would it make a difference if I made the game a SAGA edition one rather than RCR or D6? I know I said I'm fine with the whole NOT taking up a Star Wars game... but it appears as though I was wrong. XD

I'd say a 1st level storyline (with the potential to run all the way up to 20th), with characters exploring the galaxy in either the saga era, or the KOTOR one (probably before the Mandalorian Wars). Thoughts?
Unread 5th of March, 2013, 05:35
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
It's mostly the time commitment getting in my way at the moment.
Unread 7th of March, 2013, 21:22
Church
Spectre [GM]

Understandable.

Alternatively, there'd always be the option of making use of the new Edge of the Empire ruleset. Not entirely sure how many people here would be familiar with the beta, though...

Last edited by Church; 7th of March, 2013 at 23:11.
Closed Thread