Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 27th of August, 2009, 12:51
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7487
Changeling: the Lost

Hello all!

My Burning Wheel game is being delayed (and probably made into a F2F game), so I find myself with some spare time. I'm looking to run Changeling: the Lost for 2-3 PCs (with the possibility of adding more at a later time).

I'm open to any and all kinds of stories, I just need players to provide me with wants and needs. So, if you're interested in playing in a Changeling game, post here!

I'm probably going to have the game start off in Miami (though this is negotiable), and I'll probably start the players off with 35-50 XP (again, subject to change and open for negotiation).

This will be a Changeling-only game. Other supernaturals are not available for player characters, and their lore will be viewed through a Changeling-centric lens (i.e. Mages, Werewolves, Vampires, etc will have origins in the Faerie and won't play centrally into the game).

The books available for use are the nWoD Core and all of the Changeling books. If you really really must have something from the nWoD line, PM your request and a full write-up of the material. As long as it's not from another supernatural game line like Mage or Werewolf, I'll probably allow it. I'm very open to ideas and suggestions, so let me know if there's anything you'd be interested in exploring during the game.

I'm heavily involved as a player in another game here on ORP, so posting will probably happen 2-3 times a week outside of combat, and once a day or once every other day during combat or other tense scenes. Again, I can post less or slightly more often if you want/need a faster or slower game (though I don't think I have the time to post more than 3 times a week on average).

Hope to see some of you soon!
Unread 27th of August, 2009, 12:59
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is online!

Member: #10
*paws the screen* Changeling? But I don't have time!
Unread 27th of August, 2009, 14:56
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Member: #7429
I am an old hand at gaming, rp, and whitewolf... yet I've never played changeling before though I have access to books. I am however rather interested, if you are willing to school someone such as myself.

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Unread 27th of August, 2009, 15:45
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

itches: play!

Vortigern: Just to be clear, this is the New World of Darkness Changeling, not Changeling: the Dreaming. If you're still interested, I would be happy to have you join.
Unread 27th of August, 2009, 16:41
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Very well, sign me up! I'll start brainstorming some kind of concept.

Unread 27th of August, 2009, 22:52
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #865
I'd be interested in playing.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 02:19
Vighardur
Ghoul

Member: #7569
As would I.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 02:53
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Okay, the priority is:

itches
Vortigern
TreyKincaide
Vighardur

If itches decides he's lacking in free time, I'll take Vortigern, Trey, and Vighardur. Or maybe I'll stop being arbitrary and accept four players. Either way, your chances of playing are pretty high.

Let's brainstorm concepts! I'm mainly interested in exploring the political situation in Miami (i.e. having you work for or against the Court of Endless Summer). I also like the Hedge (so if people are interested we could do a few Hedge-crawls for fun), and exploring the "Lost" aspect of Changeling life (Fetches, old family, (in)sanity, Keepers, etc).

If anyone has anymore ideas for the game itself, go ahead and lay them out here.

Also, post character concepts!
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 09:03
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Right now I'm thinking a kind of classical sidhe type. ( Court of Summer, ironically enough. ) How would you feel about him being the son of a human man, perhaps now an escaped changeling, and a Faerie noblewoman... and thus having been raised in Faerie?

Unread 28th of August, 2009, 10:14
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Do you mean a half-Fae child that was born and raised in Faerie? Why would he want to leave? What would make him care about human things? What would keep him from being as cold hearted and alien as the Fae?

I'm not certain being born and raised in Faerie would work, but if you wanted to say that your father was taken captive and made to reproduce with a Faerie noblewoman, that would be fine. Perhaps at birth your father stole you away and escaped back into the real world, in order to prevent you from having to suffer the horrors of Arcadia?

Your father could have gone missing since and provide plot hooks, or he could be around and provide the basis for a patron/mentor Merit.

Some questions, though: do you share your fathers Kith and Seeming? Do you have a different Seeming or Kith or both? Do you resent the Fae, or harbor a secret love for them? Are you slightly more powerful (i.e. will you spend the XP to have Wyrd 2 or 3) than the average "normal" changeling? Did you instinctive inherent the benefit of some of your mother's Contracts (if you mother were a True Fae, she probably personally created some Contracts)?

There are a ton of questions to work out with this concept, so I don't suggest it if you're new to New World of Darkness and Changeling: the Lost. However, given that you've been around the White-Wolf system awhile and seem to be a gaming vet of sorts, it might be a fun challenge for you.

Feel free to PM me the answers to any of these questions. Or you can post them publicly, whatever you prefer.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 12:38
Vighardur
Ghoul

One of the big things, atleast for me, is how the group ties together.

A privateer seems to be want I would be most interested in, not that I will only play that, but I would prefer that. And I don't think it likely that I would be traveling with say, a runaway, Unless of course I was using said runaway to catch others. If that seems too farfetched I understand, but we can make it work.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 13:46
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

We'll see what everyone wants to play and then discuss how best to structure the game.

I wouldn't mind playing a game about privateers. I wouldn't mind having a single privateer working with a group of "normal" Changelings. The nice thing about PbP is that I can coordinate a semi-fractured group without pushing anyone out of the spotlight for too long (if at all).

Anyway, that long bit was me saying that I'm okay with you playing a privateer, as long as it suits whatever theme we come up with for the game.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 13:58
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

At the moment, I have a rough idea of a concept. I'm leaning towards a fighter pilot who flew unknowingly through airspace claimed by one of the Others and transformed into one of the Draconic. He'd likely be Spring or Summer Court. It's a take on the old WW II air craft gremlin stories.

Say, if you're setting the game in Miami, then the character could have been doing maneuvers and been Lost in the Bermuda Triangle.
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 20:21
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Trey: That sounds good. I like the Bermuda bit. Had he been missing since WWII, or is his concept just a reference to that time period?
Unread 28th of August, 2009, 21:41
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Yes, I was meaning a half-fae born in faerie to a faerie noblewoman and a mortal changeling man. I envisioned him being raised there, as a member of her court, though potentially as a second class citizen though… still having ‘some’ status as being of her blood etc. His motivating factor to leave faerie is multifold. He wants to know more about his father, and the world he came from, which he understands only haltingly. He also wants to achieve ‘genuine’ status and standing among the fae, and to that end is willing to act as an ‘agent’ in many ( almost any ) capacities for them in the normal world for the time being. Privateering, as put forth already, he thinks would be profitable for him especially. Escapees have the potential to be worth a great deal to their old masters. Additionally if he can strengthen his mother in any way, or serve her interests, he would be attached and loyal to her.

I do see his viewpoint being more fae than human. He would have a streak of human in him a mile wide compared to a pure fae, of course, yet… he might seem rather alien to regular people indeed, just as you suspect. But that is one thing that he actually ‘wants’ to fix. He wants to learn more about that side of his heritage, even if he doesn’t want to ‘embrace’ it. He wants to understand it, and why the changelings that he has seen in Arcadia are so different. He doesn’t necessarily want to be like them in so many ways, but he wants to ‘get it’.

I’m going to hit the books to get a better understanding of kith and seeming before I answer that question about his in relation to his fathers.

He is loyal to his mother and any allies she might have, and has been used in her games and plots already a few times… and so is also wary of her enemies. Generally he thinks of himself ‘as’ a fae, or at least… he wants to be. If he could just get enough power, enough standing… enough ‘whatever’ to stand on his own two feet. Blah blah blah.

I’d see his powers, to begin with, being an extension of what he has through his lineage from his mother and from her instruction, so very much so I see his powers reflecting hers.

Unread 29th of August, 2009, 01:14
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Playing the WWII Ace trying to make it home from the war would be interesting. It curtails some ability to interact with prior friends or family because most everyone that he'd know would be well into their 80's.
Unread 29th of August, 2009, 06:41
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

@Vortigern: The only problem with having overt Fae ties and loyalties is that 99% of the Changeling population are going to want to murder you. If we run a privateering game, this won't be as much of a problem.

Also your mother, being Fae, may not care about you at all and more likely than not will use you to further her own goals. There might be a pretext of love, or even real love, but once that gets boring she's going to treat you like any other toy... except for the fact that you are actually a very special, rare, and unique toy. Which is NOT good for you.

I suggest you read the background material in the core book and revisit this concept once you've done so. You might want to keep the exact same concept, or you might find something you like better.

@Trey: That could be interesting, though. You would look like you could be the GRANDchild of the people you served with in the war. Your only friends and family from "your" mortal life would be the children and grandchildren of the men you served with in the 40's.

It would be interesting to see how your character dealt with that--what sort of family ties are created, who your Changeling allies are (youngsters or elders?), how you act and what you think about your situation.

@All: please don't get too attached to your concepts at this point. You may not get to play exactly what you're envisioning right now if the game we decide on doesn't mesh with what you have now.

At this point though, if we were to play a Privateer game then all of your concepts would work well together with very little modification. You'd probably be working with the Summer Court in Miami, even if only to help your Fae employers; it may turn out to be more that you're USING the Summer Court's stupidity to achieve your goals.
Unread 29th of August, 2009, 11:18
Vighardur
Ghoul

Right now, I am leaning towards the Spring Court. I most always play a social character, and in changeling, Spring is the way to go. (in my opinion)

As for seemings, I am currently torn between two, Fairest and Wizened.

Originally Posted by Croaker # @All: please don't get too attached to your concepts at this point. You may not get to play exactly what you're envisioning right now if the game we decide on doesn't mesh with what you have now.
And Whatever the group comes up with is fine with me, (although I lean towards privateers), however it is my plan to play a social character.
Unread 29th of August, 2009, 13:53
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

I don't have a problem with him having to hide his loyalty to his mother, or with you playing up her 'otherness'. Though if you think it is 'guaranteed' that she wouldn't be attached or loyal to him as her son, then I wouldn't spend any points into mentor. If I did spend points in mentor I'd expect her to at least be good/nice enough to him frequently enough to fulfill that role... though perhaps occasionally having her own ideas about things that differ from his, naturally.

Right now I'm thinking Fairest: Flowering, and Spring Court now that I've done more reading. Probably going heavy on the Vainglory Contracts, at my first glance, but I intend to do more reading tonight.

Unread 29th of August, 2009, 18:04
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

@Vortigern: Oh, I was thinking you'd take Mentor for your Changeling father, not your Fae mother. I wouldn't really place your mom in much of a protagonist role; she'd more exist to be an interesting foil.

You can sometimes count on her for help, information, favors, etc., but you can bet you'll lose as much as you gain from anything she gives you. She'd also be living primarily in Arcadia, so your contact with her would be semi-limited (relying on coincidence and/or magical communication).

Your father would be the best candidate for the Mentor merit. He is presumably an experienced Changeling. If you decide that he stole you away from you mother and fled Arcadia, then it would make sense for him to stick around and provide guidance for his only child.

Your mother, on the other hand, would be rather unpredictable and troublesome and thus I wouldn't charge you anything for that relationship. She's going to cause you as much trouble as help, which will make life extremely interesting for all of us!
Unread 29th of August, 2009, 18:10
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

Alright, I could see that. It would also make him feel torn between his mother and father, and have conflicted loyalties more than being a pure partisan. Though he would be amenable to both sides really, and open to the privateering suggested by Vighardur for example.

Actually I'm liking it more the more we talk about it back and forth. Whatever makes it work for everyone, to make it feel 'right' or 'real' in the setting, I'm willing to accomodate.

Unread 30th of August, 2009, 16:17
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Okay, going to put up a forum request now.
Unread 30th of August, 2009, 22:55
Merbak
Wraith

Member: #1873
This is me stating my interest in this game (if, as you mentioned you might, you decide to add more later). I've played several WoD games f2f, but never changeling, and only Mage in nWoD, so even if you don't end up pulling more characters in later, I'll be lurking.
Unread 31st of August, 2009, 08:54
Croaker
Mohrg [GM]

Thread is up! Try and find it, I'm too lazy to link it right now. Post in the Greatroom, please refrain from creating new threads until further notice.
Unread 14th of August, 2012, 10:58
Kethanjerro
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #9838
Is someone playing a game online What R the details?

I have a Changeling character I've played in someone who is not likely to run World of Darkness in the future. If someone is running a Changeling game write me at ciierhyn @ yahoo .com. Please give details (whether or not people are meeting online etc.