Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 11th of March, 2013, 05:00
Cairo
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #
I'll get those stats done soon(ish)!

If Klay does indeed have a bounty on his head, it would make sense that my Gand bountyhunter came after and caught up with him but for whatever reason didn't collect the bounty.

Maybe he had a vision concerning the Wookie's past or future - either becoming convinced Klay was a victim of bad circumstances or had some important part to play yet. The Gand's a shaman, I'm sure he could experience a powerful enough gas trip to find a reason not to pursue the bounty and even to team up with the big chief.

As a sidenote, I'm undecided if the Gand will have piloting skills. I'll know for sure once I get those skill lists in front of me. If someone else wants to play a dedicated pilot that's great.
Unread 11th of March, 2013, 07:17
Cairo
Unanimated Corpse

Here's where I'm at with the stats right now:

Species: Gand, Career: Bounty hunter, Specialization: Gadgeteer
Obligation: Addiction 5, TBD 10 (+5 extra obligation for +1000 credits)
Motivation: TBD
Characteristics: Brawn 2, Agility 3, Intellect 2, Cunning 3, Willpower 3, Presence 1
Skills (c=Career, s=Specialization): Athletics 1 (c), Brawl 1 (c), Coerce 1 (s), Discipline 1 (Gand free skill), Mechanics 1 (s), Perception 2 (c), Ranged Light 2 (s), Streetwise 1 (c), Vigilance 1 (c)
Talents: Intimidating, Toughened, Jury Rigged, Spare Clip
Abilities: Gands start with one rank in Discipline. Gands with lungs receive +10 starting XP but require ammonia respirators and treat oxygen environments as dangerous atmospheres with rating 8.
Soak/Defense: 4/0, Thresholds: Wound 12, Strain 13, Encumbrance 11

Equipment:

Backpack (Enc +3)
Binders
Comlink, Handheld
Emergency Repair Kit
Padded Armor (Def 0; Soak 2; Enc 2; HP 0)
Rebreather, Modified (Enc 1)
Restraining Bolt
Scanner Goggles
Spare Ammonium Canister (Enc 1)
Stimpack
Surveillance Tagger
Utility Belt (Enc +1)

Brass Knuckles (Brawl; Dmg +1; Crit 4; Range Engaged; Enc 1; HP 0; Rarity 0; Disorient 3)
Dart Gun (Ranged Light; Dmg --; Crit --; Range Short; Enc 1; HP 0; Rarity 4; Accurate, Limited Ammo 3)
Slugthrower Rifle (Ranged Light; Dmg 7; Crit 5; Range Medium; Enc 5; HP 1; Rarity 3; Cumbersome 2)
SS Neuroparalytic (Enc 0; Rarity 6)

----

Character generation breakdown:

Starting XP: 100 + 10 (lungs)
Characteristics: Agility 3 (-30 XP), Cunning 3 (-30 XP)
Skills: Brawl (-5 XP), Coerce (-5 XP), Mechanics (-5 XP), Vigilance (-5 XP)
Talents: Intimidating (-5 XP), Toughened (-5 XP), Jury Rigged (-10 XP), Spare Clip (-10 XP)

Available credits: 500 + 1000 (+5 Obligation)
Backpack 50cr
Binders 25cr
Comlink, Handheld 25cr
Emergency Repair Kit 25cr
Padded Armor 500cr
Rebreather, Modified 25cr
Restraining Bolt 35cr
Scanner Goggles 150cr
Spare Ammonium Canister 25cr (custom)
Stimpack 25cr
Surveillance Tagger 175cr (restricted)
Utility Belt 25cr

Brass Knuckles 25cr
Dart Gun 50cr (custom)
Slugthrower Rifle 250cr
SS Neuroparalytic 75cr (restricted)

Total 1485cr

Last edited by Cairo; 11th of March, 2013 at 23:09. Reason: Updated stats, added equipment
Unread 11th of March, 2013, 15:39
Cairo
Unanimated Corpse

Church, a question for you - the beta rulebook has this to say about Gands:

"Those that have lungs breathe the ammonia gas-mixture native to their homeworld's atmosphere. Those that do not do not respire and gain all necessary metabolic substances through consumption of food."

Do you interpret this to mean that Gands with lungs get everything they need to sustain themselves from the ammonia gas itself? This occurred to me when I realized that my Gand wouldn't actually be able to taste any of the food he was preparing because he can't take the mask off without risking severe injury or even death. By extension he couldn't actually eat any of the food himself either, so I got to wondering how exactly does he stay alive?

Update:

I've now added equipment to my previous post and there are a couple of items I need to run by you, some because of their restricted nature and some because they're custom creations to flesh out the character:

Spare Ammonium Canister - I fashioned this after Extra Reloads because that's roughly how it works; if a Despair in a fitting situation causes the Gand's ammonium atmosphere to vent he has a spare. It's basically a canister with a simple mask at one end, allowing breathing the contents directly (but this way it requires a free hand), or plugging it into the Gand's rebreather as an external tank or for refilling the main tank. I doubled the cost to 50cr and rarity to 2.

Surveillance Tagger - the rulebook states that these require the GM's go-ahead during character generation. I think it's fitting equipment for a bounty hunter.

Dart Gun - nothing of this sort exists in the book, but is required to deliver toxins to a target. I used the Slugthrower Pistol as a template, removed damage and criticals, upgraded rarity by 1 and gave it the Accurate and Limited Ammo 3 specials. It uses inexpensive darts as ammo, but they do nothing unless loaded with a toxin such as the SS Neuroparalytic (one dose = one dart).

The Dart Gun would require special rules to handle, where it only needs to hit a target to deliver the payload (rather than cause damage) - but naturally hitting the target gets more difficult the more of their skin is covered with anything thicker than regular clothing, or if their skin is very tough.

SS Neuroparalytic - the rulebook states that these require the GM's go-ahead during character generation. I think it's fitting equipment for a bounty hunter.

Last edited by Cairo; 11th of March, 2013 at 23:27. Reason: Added questions about custom equipment
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 02:50
Rale
Unanimated Corpse

Church, are we starting out as an experienced crew of a freighter or something else? What is the rarity available to us at game on? according to the rules, we aren't allowed anything above rarity 0 without ST approval.
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 03:05
Cairo
Unanimated Corpse

“ Originally Posted by Rale # Church, are we starting out as an experienced crew of a freighter or something else? What is the rarity available to us at game on? according to the rules, we aren't allowed anything above rarity 0 without ST approval. ”
What page / heading / paragraph is this under? The only thing I can find is page 67, STARTING GEAR, last two sentences in the first paragraph:

"Before their characters begin the game, players may spend these credits to purchase items from Chapter 5: Gear for their character. They may not purchase Restricted (R) items unless specifically given dispensation by their GM."

If the limit was rarity 0, we couldn't arm ourselves with anything other than Brass Knuckles.. (R) -marked items (found next to their price) are much rarer - for instance Lightsaber's price is "50.000 (R)".

Last edited by Cairo; 12th of March, 2013 at 03:08.
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 20:15
Church
Spectre [GM]

Member: #10480
“ Originally Posted by Cairo # If Klay does indeed have a bounty on his head, it would make sense that my Gand bountyhunter came after and caught up with him but for whatever reason didn't collect the bounty.

Maybe he had a vision concerning the Wookie's past or future - either becoming convinced Klay was a victim of bad circumstances or had some important part to play yet. The Gand's a shaman, I'm sure he could experience a powerful enough gas trip to find a reason not to pursue the bounty and even to team up with the big chief.
”
Sounds like a viable plan to me. If he's so adamant that his visions are portents of the future (whether they are or not I shall determine later), then it's easily possible that he turned down a bounty on that grounds.

“ Originally Posted by Cairo # As a sidenote, I'm undecided if the Gand will have piloting skills. I'll know for sure once I get those skill lists in front of me. If someone else wants to play a dedicated pilot that's great. ”
Always beneficial to have a pilot handy. Even the most durable bounty hunter or mercenary is vulnerable in a space battle.

“ Originally Posted by Cairo # Church, a question for you - the beta rulebook has this to say about Gands:

"Those that have lungs breathe the ammonia gas-mixture native to their homeworld's atmosphere. Those that do not do not respire and gain all necessary metabolic substances through consumption of food."

Do you interpret this to mean that Gands with lungs get everything they need to sustain themselves from the ammonia gas itself?
”
This is how I interpreted it. Until I read canon material that says otherwise, it's assumed that you gain all your metabolic substances through the gas-mixture.

“ Originally Posted by Cairo # Spare Ammonium Canister - I fashioned this after Extra Reloads because that's roughly how it works; if a Despair in a fitting situation causes the Gand's ammonium atmosphere to vent he has a spare. It's basically a canister with a simple mask at one end, allowing breathing the contents directly (but this way it requires a free hand), or plugging it into the Gand's rebreather as an external tank or for refilling the main tank. I doubled the cost to 50cr and rarity to 2.

Surveillance Tagger - the rulebook states that these require the GM's go-ahead during character generation. I think it's fitting equipment for a bounty hunter.

Dart Gun - nothing of this sort exists in the book, but is required to deliver toxins to a target. I used the Slugthrower Pistol as a template, removed damage and criticals, upgraded rarity by 1 and gave it the Accurate and Limited Ammo 3 specials. It uses inexpensive darts as ammo, but they do nothing unless loaded with a toxin such as the SS Neuroparalytic (one dose = one dart).

The Dart Gun would require special rules to handle, where it only needs to hit a target to deliver the payload (rather than cause damage) - but naturally hitting the target gets more difficult the more of their skin is covered with anything thicker than regular clothing, or if their skin is very tough.

SS Neuroparalytic - the rulebook states that these require the GM's go-ahead during character generation. I think it's fitting equipment for a bounty hunter.
”
All of this equipment fits the character, and doesn't appear to be unbalancing at all. But please keep in mind that because I have yet to run/play this system with a group, I'm not too keen on using GM/player created materials or races. This isn't an attempt to limit creativity as it is to help me adjust to things more easily before such creative urges are explored and sated.

In this instance, however, I'm willing to allow the above.

“ Originally Posted by Rale # Church, are we starting out as an experienced crew of a freighter or something else? ”
Whether you're experienced or not is really determined by your stats (which, I'm thinking, means you're pretty green as far as exploring/adventuring goes); but you do all have history with one another, explaining why you're a) travelling together, b) willing to work/risk life and limb together and c) why you all part own a ship.
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 20:16
Church
Spectre [GM]

“ Originally Posted by Rale # What is the rarity available to us at game on? according to the rules, we aren't allowed anything above rarity 0 without ST approval. ”
Well, I suppose it really depends on what you want. Items that you could feasibly have I'm willing to consider (though you should still keep in mind that they are restricted, and possessing them might bring you under unwanted scrutiny/invite unwanted trouble); but things like lightsabers etc will be a definite no.
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 20:17
Church
Spectre [GM]

I'm liking the stats I've seen so far, though I'm still lacking proper access to my rulebook (I'm away visiting family). As we're still waiting on two or three more players, however, there is still easily enough time for me to check over sheets.

If either of you know of anyone willing/wanting to join an EotE game, please direct them my way.
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 20:36
Church
Spectre [GM]

Okay, new plan: I'm going to request a board now so that we have a place to begin working properly on characters and the game; but I'll still make use of this thread in order to properly recruit my final few players.

Here's a bit more information on the Obligations, using the Obligation Chart.
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 20:52
Cairo
Unanimated Corpse

“ Originally Posted by Church # Sounds like a viable plan to me. If he's so adamant that his visions are portents of the future (whether they are or not I shall determine later), then it's easily possible that he turned down a bounty on that grounds. ”
That's the great thing about having visions regarding the future - you don't have to commit to them being true at this point. The Gand could very well turn out to be a crackpot and that's perfectly fine by me. Or he could take a leaf from Yoda's book and claim always in motion the future is.

So, let's say the Gand had a vision about Klay's future that convinced him not to capture the Wookiee (wether he actually could've done that or not is another matter entirely). Furthermore, he thought it prudent to aid the big chief and offered to tag along.

Rale, how do you feel about this connection between our characters? Would Klay accept the "protection" (as the Gand sees it) of a bounty hunter who trips on gasses and claims to see visions of the future? Or do you have other ideas that we could explore?

“ Originally Posted by Church # Always beneficial to have a pilot handy. Even the most durable bounty hunter or mercenary is vulnerable in a space battle. ”
I certainly hope we get a dedicated pilot. As it turned out, the Gand didn't have room for piloting skills (at least not the current build).

“ Originally Posted by Church # Until I read canon material that says otherwise, it's assumed that you gain all your metabolic substances through the gas-mixture. ”
Sounds good to me. Now I need to decide if the Gand is A) a great cook despite not actually being able to taste any of his creations, B) a terrible cook who thinks everyone's a critic or C) not into this cooking thing after all.

“ Originally Posted by Church # All of this equipment fits the character, and doesn't appear to be unbalancing at all. But please keep in mind that because I have yet to run/play this system with a group, I'm not too keen on using GM/player created materials or races. This isn't an attempt to limit creativity as it is to help me adjust to things more easily before such creative urges are explored and sated.

In this instance, however, I'm willing to allow the above.
”
I considered your earlier comment about sticking to official material only, and I'm fully prepared to forego the custom items (and by extension the paralytic) - if only to be fair to others and keep things simple. They're definitely not integral to the character.

Let's see what the group looks like closer to the start of the game and then revisit this issue.
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 20:58
Church
Spectre [GM]

“ Originally Posted by Cairo # That's the great thing about having visions regarding the future - you don't have to commit to them being true at this point. The Gand could very well turn out to be a crackpot and that's perfectly fine by me. Or he could take a leaf from Yoda's book and claim always in motion the future is. ”
Exactly.

“ Originally Posted by Cairo # I certainly hope we get a dedicated pilot. As it turned out, the Gand didn't have room for piloting skills (at least not the current build). ”
Your build can be modified as you both discuss what you want and what you have in mind for your group. Only when I have looked them over and given my pre-start stamp of approval are they then fixed - and as that won't happen until we have four players, you have time to look over and ammend.

“ Originally Posted by Cairo # Sounds good to me. Now I need to decide if the Gand is A) a great cook despite not actually being able to taste any of his creations, B) a terrible cook who thinks everyone's a critic or C) not into this cooking thing after all. ”
I love the idea of B) . Refreshing to find that kind of character outside of some Japanese animes.

“ Originally Posted by Cairo # I considered your earlier comment about sticking to official material only, and I'm fully prepared to forego the custom items (and by extension the paralytic) - if only to be fair to others and keep things simple. They're definitely not integral to the character.

Let's see what the group looks like closer to the start of the game and then revisit this issue.
”
Agreed. As mentioned, it's an effort on my part to make learning/adjusting to the game easier for myself. Once I'm comfortable, I'll be more likely to allow things that are not developer-provided.

Request for the game board has been made; hopefully we'll be moving this discussion onto it soon.
Unread 12th of March, 2013, 21:30
Church
Spectre [GM]

Okay guys, the board's up. I'll be adding a Player and Visitor thread shortly; later on, I will add an area in which to post your character sheets.

Let's move all discussion over there for now.
Unread 16th of March, 2013, 07:03
Church
Spectre [GM]

Hey all,

I'm still looking for two more players for the game. If you're interested, please get in touch via the Edge of the Empire board's Visitor Discussion thread. Presently, we have a Wookiee Hired Gun (Marauder), and a Gand Bounty Hunter (Gadgeteer).
Unread 8th of July, 2013, 18:17
sangen
Unanimated Corpse

Member: #10531
I Just saw your post FFG's Edge of the Empire and wanted to know if you are still need people I have a Selonian smuggler thief
Unread 8th of July, 2013, 18:33
Cairo
Unanimated Corpse

Hi sangen,

just last month the game was handed to a new GM, Morrisyman, who is currently running it. There was a bit of downtime recently due to real life events, but per the latest (and I assume standing) post in the game's Visitor Discussion thread you should post there to let him know that you're interested. I'm sure he can let you know what his current plans for new players and characters are!

You can find the thread here: http://online-roleplaying.com/forums...ad.php?t=13173