Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Character Acquisition

Unread 21st of July, 2012, 05:13
-J-
Dread Lord on High [Epic GM]

Member: #1006
Call for Heroes

Hey all - looking for a couple (3-4ish) players interested in playing a fantasy campaign on the Hero system (sixth edition) focusing on story (not min/maxing or power gaming). I envision a story of 3-5 acts (depending on the players).

Begining would feature heroes at that point of "becoming" - that point where they start to look and act like heroes. For those familiar with the hero system were looking at 175 points-ish (for a dnd analogy you're probably 5th-8th levelish or so). Story wise the act will focus on getting the party together, establishing their relationships with each other and setting out the individual character plot arcs as dictated by you the players. Scope is more local (state, region, township etc)

Middle Acts : The intermissions between acts would see a jump in character ability (hero: 25-35 character points, DnD 2-5 levels) and then a "in media res" start. There would be some some required "this is what we did during this time" outlining (not necessarily written and posted, but I need to know what you were up to - mainly for plot and angst mining purposes). Scope grows larger, encompassing events that impacts kingdoms, nations, and even the world.

Plot wise this is where the individual character plots are woven into a grander design. Over arching plot line becomes apparent with the progression of each act and the players will see growth in the impact they have on the world around them (as is proper with their growing power). Of course this will bring them to the attention of the big players and power brokers. High fantasy tropes will be (hopefully) explored as the individual character arcs progress.

Final Act: The over arching plot line is resolved. Heroes have achieved the level of living legends/demigods and their adventures are commensurate with that. Scope expands to encompass multiple worlds/planes.

The main reason for the above story architecture (acts with intermissions between) really boils down to one thing - story. I have always wanted to tell a high fantasy story, but so much of what an epic hero is comes from what he was. This of course poses a problem, given the relative slower pace of PbP, it would take forever to work a character from, to use a DnD metaphor, 1st-20+ level. It also will hopefully remove the specter of XP from the equation, so there can be more of a focus on character and story (less game more story).

I'm not set on a starting world - although I'm leaning towards Eberron or Forgotten Realms. This is something to be discussed once we have a group.

If you're worried about trying a new system don't be. I enjoy introducing the awesomeness that is Hero to new players. For those that don't like worrying about mechanics I'm pretty good at expressing what they want (I even made a "living book" as a character for BRR).

If you're interested let me know so i can read through what you've done on the boards. If you're curious as to what i'm like check out my Eberron game (http://www.online-roleplaying.com/fo...play.php?f=615) for fantasy, or my champions game (http://www.online-roleplaying.com/fo...lay.php?f=1247) for comic book. I'd also suggest contacting previous players - they have all the good scuttlebutt

Any questions let me know

-J-
Unread 21st of July, 2012, 05:17
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
It isn't about min/maxing or power gaming?!? I guess that means I'm out.
Unread 21st of July, 2012, 05:30
-J-

you're not off the hook that easy G-unit...
Unread 21st of July, 2012, 11:21
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Well I'm not sure if I like the sound of scuttlebutt but otherwise this seems pretty neat.
No experience with Hero but I've heard interesting things and it would be fun to try out.
Unread 21st of July, 2012, 11:45
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
Just curious (and lazy) but does HERO have any online available rule sets?
Unread 21st of July, 2012, 14:38
-J-

There is no equivalent of a SRD for hero, but I'm sure there are pdf copies of the rules out there.

I'm not the sort of GM that will use lack of rule knowledge to "get you".

I've never expected players to purchase a copy of the rules so I've condensed the basics of the combat in this thread.

http://www.online-roleplaying.com/fo...ead.php?t=7706

I believe they have an overview document on the website that is free - but you'd have to look for it.

http://www.herogames.com/home.htm

I did find -

http://www.amazon.com/Hero-System-6t.../dp/1583661220

While not free, it runs about the same as most gaming books these days.

The combat rules are fairly straight forward and I find them both more dynamic and flexible than DnD.

Character creation is a bit trickier. What I like about Hero is that there are no classes, or levels. The rule framework is designed to allow the creation of pretty much any character concept, power, or ability. There is a lot more control in character creation - you get whatever you want, just like you want it, as long as you have the points for it. The amount of points characters start with establish the power level of the game and ensure parity and consistency.

In the past players without a set of rules would often give me a character idea and then I'd help them translate into the Hero system. Same holds true for combat stuff. Give me an idea of what you want to do and I can figure out what that would look like mechanics wise, or give you collection of options and what your character would expect the outcomes to be.

Hopefully this is cogent enough to understand as I am very sleepy =)
Unread 21st of July, 2012, 20:08
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
I have only played it once and it wasn't the latest edition. I would need quiet a bit of brushing up to make a character with it now. I'll likely just troll. I got a lot going on IRL right now.
Unread 23rd of July, 2012, 07:20
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
This sounds like it could be really enjoyable, but I don't know jack about the system. Still I much prefer roleplay over rollplay so this could be right up my ally.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Unread 23rd of July, 2012, 13:25
-J-

Thanks for the interest guys - I have had a lot email responses to sift through and I'm still trying to carefully consider out how many players to take on board. I'll should have the final roster ready by early this week. =)
Unread 24th of July, 2012, 07:04
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #2780
I don't currently have any games I'm playing on this forum unfortunately, and the ones I've played in the past are pretty much all from a long time ago.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/