Unread 1st of January, 2011, 01:43
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Member: #2781
Unread 2nd of January, 2011, 13:45
Chris Chandler
Kobold Demi-Lich [Epic GM]

Member: #1475
So, this is what I was going to say at the end of the Capital One Bowl, based on my expectation of how the game would transpire:

Man, what a great game, Doom! You know, it was really close, but we pulled it out in the end.
In the light of this comment, I think I'll let it stand. I think that's punishment enough.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 3rd of January, 2011, 02:01
Doombot
Spirit of the Spartan Nation [Epic]

Member: #1704
Hahaha, touche sir. Yeah, we looked about as good as we did when we played Iowa, and you guys certainly showed why you were ranked number one early in the season. I'm not as sad that we lost as I am about the fashion in which we lost. When we scored, I was just thankful we didn't get skunked.

Also, now that most of the holiday shenanigans are done, I should be able to contribute with more regularity.
Unread 4th of January, 2011, 14:56
Chris Chandler

Yeah, one of the commentators to which we were listening was an old 'Bama player, and, when MSU scored, he decided to regale the listener of a tale from the past, when the Tide was playing a ranked SMU back in the day and the defense let the goose-egg slip from their fingers. The next day Bear made the team replay the entire game - start to finish - in full pads in order to teach them a lesson, and he told them that they had brought shame and disgrace upon their school and state and families. Like, seriously.

Not in my house mister!!! You can differentiate all you want with your little hoodlum friends, but in here it's wild guesses and rounding errors!
Unread 4th of January, 2011, 15:06
Doombot

Wow. That's hardcore. I'm going to have to dig around to see if we have any coaches that cool. Y'know, besides Mark Dantonio.
Unread 17th of January, 2011, 16:16
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Sorry about the twenty questions. I actually cut it down to the most important ones. I'm operating under a severe handicap whenever we start dungeons, especially without a map. (I think it's a mental thing, really, but I start getting lost immediately when I lose the sky.)
Unread 18th of January, 2011, 11:35
Chris Chandler

It's true. She even gets confused at Underground Atlanta, and that's just a mall.

Unread 20th of January, 2011, 09:56
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Member: #2980
So my local dnd group is starting off a new campaign, and our new DM (we rotate) has decided to use Obsidian Portal to coordinate/build it. One thing this means is that if you guys want to peer into it, you can!

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...s-of-saraphiel

Check out Tuvia's Spellbook (in the wiki under Bios, Tuvia Mandelbrodt)- that's my current project (although it might be relevant to read Tuvia's backstory first.), and the concept I'm most proud of with this character - roleplaying the magic down to the very nuts and bolts.

Last edited by MadDogMaddux; 20th of January, 2011 at 10:00.
Unread 20th of January, 2011, 13:00
Doombot

Our current RL campaign (which is drawing to an end) is also on OP. You can find it here: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

It's had its ups and downs, and we ended up losing about half the party due to some roommate drama that would take a long time to rehash, so it if seems kinda crazy -- it's because it is. But we're having fun doing it.

Not trying to steal your thunder, MDM, just figured that as long as we're talking about OP I'd throw mine up as well. I'm interested to see how you fare with Tuvia.
Unread 21st of January, 2011, 02:12
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Do you pla Aros the mage slayer in EVERY campaign?
Unread 21st of January, 2011, 07:06
Doombot

Only briefly in that one, and only because I needed a character on the fly and had a sheet more or less done for him. Fortunately I was able to get back to LAW, who is a bit more durable (at least, so far).
Unread 21st of January, 2011, 12:41
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Ahso, so how many characters have you gone through in that campaign? Sounds a little bloody. Have you been gaming with them for long?
Unread 21st of January, 2011, 14:44
Doombot

I've had a total of three: my original (and current) character -- he was separated from the party at one point, and the DM gave me the option to reprise my role later, when the opportunity presented itself. I played a druid for a long while (Mantowagan), and Aros as a filler until I could get back to bashing fleshy skulls.

I've been playing with this group for a year and a half going on two years. When we kicked off this shinsig, the group was about twice as large, and about half of it was players from my old RL group. Now, the only ones remaining from the olden days (the past few years) are me and the current DM. The rest of the players we have now are friends of the DM, and once we're done with this campaign I will take over as DM once more.
Unread 21st of January, 2011, 15:40
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Yeah, I thought I was seeing some significant player turnover behind the scenes. I didn't pick up that you were Mantowagan though. Seems that Im and Amon are the oldest two? Are any of them the same as Reke?
Unread 21st of January, 2011, 22:53
Doombot

Oldest two meaning longest-running characters, or longest-running players? And no, neither are Recke. Im = Josh (DM's little brother), Amon = Anthony (Josh's friend) and Recke = Matt (Josh's other friend).
Unread 22nd of January, 2011, 01:12
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Oldest as in longest running. Why don't you guys identify who plays who?
Unread 23rd of January, 2011, 00:38
Doombot

Oldest are me (I'm the one that introduced everyone to D&D, back in the day), and the DM. Character-wise, LAW is the only one that was there at the campaign's inception, although he was MIA for a while when the rest of the party decided to flee the city without him. Something about him being responsible for three player deaths, I think.

As far as us not identifying, two reasons: 1) I didn't know it was possible, and I believe that the DM doesn't know either, and 2) There's such a high rate of turnover that it could be hard to keep track.
Unread 23rd of January, 2011, 01:57
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Originally Posted by Doombot # Something about him being responsible for three player deaths, I think.
I see you got right back to work, throwing Reke and Im overboard.
Unread 23rd of January, 2011, 07:55
Doombot

Hey, they refused to acknowledge his legitimate authority. He was even going to politely drop Im and Reke off at a point of their choosing, but oh no, Im had to be all confrontational and start some shit, only he's not as strong or as competent as LAW, and then Reke was all 'I'm gonna help Im even if this was explicitly a one-on-one duel,' and I had to kill him out of principle, and now look what has happened.

But the other three deaths were totally not my fault. The first one was because our DM uses a critical fumble chart, the second one is because the party rogue was poisoned with an effect that turns healing into damage and I used Lay on Hands, and the third is because one character didn't tell the party he had contracted lycanthropy. I mean, I did what any lawful-good character would do if he's on watch and finds a were-rate in the party: curbstomp it!

In my defense, however, I probably revived various party members about a dozen or so times as Mantowagan, so I'm still in the green. Heheh, everyone thinks I'm some sort of ridiculous character builder because none of them had ever seen a druid before. Amon's player Anthony said "That druid was the best thing that ever happened to this party," right around the time I turned everyone into fleshrakers via Animal Shapes and made them all large with Animal Growth, and then started buffing them.
Unread 2nd of February, 2011, 10:25
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Just to be sure, I ran both those posts by the GM to make sure they made sense. Apparently something is still being lost in translation though. We're really not standing in a straight line or any type of ranks, are we? I'm certainly not intending to crowd anyone out of the way with either post. This last one I was having M stepping to the side and back where our squishy Omni can be covered from all directions. We're a loose clump, and I pictured Malak busy on the ground with checking for traps. Not sure how Mizuki is interrupting if I don't know Malak is forming up anywhere yet.

Last edited by LadyGlutter; 2nd of February, 2011 at 10:28.
Unread 2nd of February, 2011, 15:47
Chris Chandler

LG has it right. Remember that I said 20-foot wide hallways. Folks rarely walk in single file unless they are told, and a loose clump (which would end up being a 4-square on our less than optimal level of granularity) is a natural walking pattern within a group of four, with exceptions to an individual taking point, or someone dropping back to guard the rear. In this instance Malak moved away from the only stationary character (Omni) and prepared, then started looking around for tracks (itself not a stationary act at all). Aros took point, and Mizuki stepped in front of Omni, but to the flank of Aros. So, with Omni being C3 on a simple coordinate grid facing east, you can place Mizuki in relative D3-D4, Aros in E5 and Malak at B4 and the surrounding squares (since he's a big 'un), and people are generally in close quarters. Don't take this as absolute, however. This type of positioning is simply too limiting in a game like this, where chess-like grid strategy isn't as important as intent or collaboration.

Unread 2nd of February, 2011, 23:47
Doombot

Don't forget, I'm still large as well. Wanted to match Malak in size in case things got rough.
Unread 3rd of February, 2011, 00:30
MadDogMaddux
Bone Naga

Yeah, I definitely read it as Malak stepping to the front on guard, then Aros stepping up next to or in front of him, then Mizuk stepping.in front of both. This plus Omni's comment and Mizuki's response.

Malak's INTENT is that he's not a push-and-shove for the glory of being first sort of guy. He'd prefer to fight from the front, simply to conserve Arrows, but when two others rushed past him - no biggie, he'll take a momrny to make sure the field of combat contains no surprises.

I definitely had a more linear concept in mind, though. Just cognizant of how much space Malak takes up.
Unread 3rd of February, 2011, 15:13
LightBringer
Lord Ruthven [Epic GM]

Member: #2777
Regards of how we were bunched, when someone says, 'front', to me it means front. I actually took a little liberty with Aros cause Doom did say 'to the side'.

Sorry if I caused some confusion, but I just call 'em like I read 'em.

I'm good with the whole thing though and ready to move on. By the way, in my post about the light spell, I meant that if I couldn't see because of darkness I'd cast a little light on the subject. I realized I left a word out when I read over it today.

Last edited by LightBringer; 3rd of February, 2011 at 15:15.
Unread 4th of February, 2011, 15:16
LadyGlutter
Grey Lady [Epic]

Front of the situation does not equal line leader, Mister. Really, I'm good, too with all that settled. And I didn't mean to screech things to a halt, but the joking got to the point where I saw I was gumming up the works, since I'm clearly not communicating with the mathematical precision required for fighting in stupid squares. I'm forever ruined by hexes.