Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > itches' Games > Band of Bumbling Bards

Unread 25th of September, 2006, 16:07
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #15
Originally Posted by Cadrius It relates to this fact: I generally collapse all of the games that I'm not currently in so that when I come to the ORC I can easily see if there are any new posts.
Wow, I didn't even know you could do that! That's handy.
Unread 26th of September, 2006, 01:27
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Should I be posting or leaving your guys to talk to each other?
Unread 26th of September, 2006, 03:10
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I don't know. You can post something that will interrupt Yavan and Calliste if you want. I doubt that I'll have anything significant to say. It's really up to you.
Unread 26th of September, 2006, 04:24
itches

That translates into me needing to post.
Unread 27th of September, 2006, 04:26
itches

Well a bad post is better then no post at all.
Unread 27th of September, 2006, 10:39
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
I better get working on those bad posts then.
Unread 1st of October, 2006, 17:08
itches

Shall I just assume that you agree to have dinner with the priest and move us onto the wedding?
Unread 2nd of October, 2006, 03:05
cappucina
Skeleton

Member: #37
checking in

I'm back and ready for....whatever.
Unread 2nd of October, 2006, 05:40
itches

I am very sorry about the lull Capp.

What do you say to having met one of the other bards at some point previously in your life?
Unread 2nd of October, 2006, 06:04
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Yeah, I'm sorry too. I meant to post this morning but... well, stuff came up.

And it's still coming up. I have to take my daughter out shopping for shoes, and pick up some stuff for dinner, and then come home and cook dinner, and then... Well, you get the picture. (It's a picture of domesticity!)

You know what's funny? As my youngest daughter is getting older, it seems that she always needs some new thing for her wardrobe. She has to have black pants for her choir perfromance, so I buy the pants. But now none of the shoes she owns go with the pants! And that's just the tip of the iceburg...
Unread 2nd of October, 2006, 06:08
itches

As I understand these things, it's going to keep getting worse as she gets older.
Unread 2nd of October, 2006, 12:08
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

You are SO right.
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 03:05
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

itches, you are falling down on the job. I had to send Gral my IC post myself!!
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 06:16
cappucina
Skeleton

What do you say to having met one of the other bards at some point previously in your life?
That's fine by me. You pick though.

And, I don't mind the lull at all. Take your time. I'd wait till the next chapter if you would prefer. I'm only ready to start when the rest of you are.
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 09:41
itches

Originally Posted by Kelemyn itches, you are falling down on the job. I had to send Gral my IC post myself!!
I also forget to turn the oven off when I'm done with it.
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 10:52
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

No wonder things are always catching on fire at your house!
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 12:02
itches

I walked into the kitchen and went "Weird, I've never noticed that light on the oven before."
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 13:10
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Do you mean to say that you actually use the oven, that you know how to bake things? What do you make?
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 13:12
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Hey, now that itches has posted for Gral, does that mean that itches will soon post for itches and move us on the wedding?
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 13:14
itches

I don't know if it's considered baking. I take the frozen stuff out of the box and stick it in the oven for how long it says to on the box.

And yeah I'll get around to posting, it should bring it up to the wedding and a little bit past.
Unread 3rd of October, 2006, 23:28
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Capp, do you have a background posted for Holly somewhere? It would make it easier to figure out which one of us already knows her if we know something about where she is from

Oh, and whatever happened to that kobold sorcerer you were talking about? I mean the one in your other game that you were trying to recruit a player for. Did you find somebody to take over the character? I'm just curious because your description of the game (in some other thread, I think it was) sounded pretty cool!
Unread 4th of October, 2006, 20:41
itches

This is what I have.
Holly Raston was born in a small village nestled in a valley set way back in the _________ Mountain Range. There is only one road in and out of this Range and that starts at _____ Pass. A rich kingdom adjoins the foothills of _____ Mountain Range - it has seemingly everything a great nation could need - thriving cities, bustling towns, surrounding fertile lands full of farms, wide flowing rivers giving access to the sea, and a bountiful population. And, access to building materials, they trade Holly's mountain people for lumber and all sorts of quarry rock.

There is a snag to this idyllic picture. The kingdom, unfortunately ruled by a dozen different rich noble families all of whom have had ties to the 'head honcho' position through blood and marriage and overthrow until who is what has become completely muddled, has been in and out of civil war for as long as anyone can remember.

Holly's people are a different sort. Simpler. Smaller scale. And, their villages are scattered all over the mountains. They have no big city or fortresses or noble families. They stay out of the kingdom's politics. They settle their disputes with the village elders as their mediators. They are clannish in nature and are extremely protective their own and their way of life.

Now and then, the kingdom's civil war has a spell of peace. It is these times when the Mountain people are very glad there is only one road in and out of their Range. For, now and then, the internal peace lasts enough in the kingdom below has collected itself together enough to send soldiers out beyond its borders to conquer other lands. They've directed their attention to conquering the _______ Mountain area a few times. They've never been successful. Not even close.

For one, the access is practically impossible - except through the Pass. This gives the defenders a terrific advantage in position. For two, there is no main fortress to attack - it is a whole vast friggin mountain range. For three, the mountain people are tough. And tricky. If they feel like the soldiers are making too much headway through the Pass, they'll flood it, fill it full of felled trees, or even bring down a landslide. They'll cut themselves off from the rest of the world if that's what they need to do in order to keep their freedom. They are dedicated.

Anyway, Holly was born in that small village I mentioned at the start. She was the daughter of a miller and the miller's wife. Her mother really made a huge effort to raise Holly to be a - Good Wife. She was taught how to keep a modest house organized and clean, how to cook almost anything with ingredients she herself gathered from the mountain, their small garden, or from their livestock....or to trade frugally with coin from other villagers. Holly was taught how to use a spinning wheel to make yarn and to sew or use a loom to make cloth from that yarn. She was taught stories and taught how to sing and dance and how to play a few simple instruments - to entertain her future husband if he wished.

One evening, after a special supper with guests, her father teasingly asked her to join with the other women when they got up to make music and dance as sometimes happened at these homey gatherings. She was only about six or seven years old. Holly shyly did so at first. But, then all the womenfolk - friends of her mother - really were delighted that the sweet, shy Holly had come to dance with them. Each one of them took great care to smile at her, encourage her, take her hand and draw her in to their circle. They were welcoming and Holly knew all of the dances. Soon, she forgot her shyness and lost herself in the dance. It soon became apparant that she was - exceptional.

She was so lost she didn't notice when the room grew strangely darker. She didn't notice when some of the women took steps away from her toward the walls and to join their men and watch - it was as if everyone felt something extraordinary was happening all around them. She did notice when her friends the shadows joined her. She greeted them happily, excited to see them and began to sing for them their favorite song. She continued to dance - the shadows from flickering fire and from the candles at the table seemed to take new, strangely humanoid shapes. Soon all the shadow - creatures - began to dance with Holly. They mimicked her movements sometimes and at others she mimicked theirs. Holly was delighted. Everyone else had their mouths hanging open and their eyes wide as witnesses to a shocking development.

When she finished dancing, Holly's young voice breathlessly, happily "Goodbye! Goodbye!" And, the room grew slowly brighter as the shadows departed - sliding away into cracks and corners until the room was lit normally again. Soon after, the neighbor guests left quietly and then she and her parents had a chat. They came to learn, much to their surprise, that the Shadows had visited Holly as long ago as her earliest memories. When she was in the crib, she remembers how they played and danced on the walls and ceiling for her. When she got able, she would reach out to the wall and wave her arms to join her own shadow with them. They would mimic her and she them...just like with the dancing. She admitted they were her closest friends and that she loved them, but that they hadn't come visiting her as often as they did when she was much younger and had more play time. They seemed to like playing - and she was now a big girl learning how to be a good wife and so didn't have much time to play with them.

The village elders were consulted and a close eye was kept on Holly from then on. It was fairly obvious, she was a normal girl...there was nothing evil or wrong with her...except for unusual her magical connection to shadows. Certainly Holly was sweet, gentle, and very pretty. She rapidly grew out of her shyness and was friendly and chatty with just about everyone. Maybe it was harmless....?

At age 14 she 'came out' in a Spring Rite of dancing around a May Pole. Young men and women from the villages scattered all over attended. At first girls danced and the boys watched. Then, when the coming out dance ended, the young men were allowed to approach the dancers and join in another dance with them. Holly and a young man named Jarl ended up sharing a number of dances - so many her mother figured she had better find out about the young man and make sure he was a good match.

It turns out he was. His father had an excellent reputation as an educated and clever fellow. He was doing well in a good trade. Jarl was his third son and even trained as a scribe! Holly's parents encouraged them to come to an agreement. They got married just before her 15th birthday...not one month after they met at the dance.

And, after their wedding ceremony, they were brought before their village elders with their parents....and a big 'bomb' was dropped on the two of them.

The civil war in the kingdom down below had come to another halt. Peace treaties had been signed. The mountain folk had decided to send down a handful of people, here and there, to keep and ear out and send messages back. They wanted to know if they would be attacked again - well, they were pretty sure they would be attacked again. They wanted early warning.

Holly and Jarl were a bit surprised. They were chosen to be SPIES. And, they were leaving soon. The days flew by with packing and instructions. Soon they were walking out of the mountains with a small cart of possesions. They joined a merchant caravan at the point where the foothills met the mountain. This merchant, a mountain person himself, was to be their contact. Jarl was to scribe encrypted messages that he would be able to deliver more or less bi-monthly.

At one point, from the journey out of the mountain range, Jarl and Holly tried their best to get to know one another. It was awkward at first, even though they were married ...they were strangers. Not only were they strangers, they were just so out of their own elements and things had changed so quickly...everything was strange. But, they did get to know each other a bit.

They reached their destination - one of the main cities. They found a small stone walled apartment over a business to live in. Jarl got a job as a scribe and started bringing home coin. Holly spent her days roaming and meeting people of all sorts.... and gossiping. They got very comfortable with each other, and even became quite fond of one another. This 'bliss' lasted for two years. During those two years, they send fairly regular encrypted reports back to the Mountain. It turns out, Holly was very very good at gathering information and meeting the right people - connected in different (but nondirect) ways to the military and the decision makers. The recent messages were full of warnings. Just as suspected, the kingdom's eye was on conquest for territory - territory with free lumber and building rock.

--------------------

One day, Holly was coming upstairs with her morning marketing. Jarl was home (which was unusual) and he was pouring tea for a man in very fancy clothes. The man was holding a wand and was staring at her, not in a nice way. Jarl didn't look up to greet her - he didn't seem to notice her. Holly knew something was wrong. The hair the back of her neck and her arms stood up. She opened her mouth to yell at Jarl....only she didn't. Instead she sang! She sang just a note - it burst from her and filled the room as she rushed toward her husband and grabbed his hand. And, her song broke whatever spell had been put on Jarl for he shook his head and seemed as eager to run away as she did for they both pulled each other toward the door.

The man with the wand called for his guards. The room grew dark, rapidly. The man chanted and a bright light flared up. But, then that too dimmed and they could hear him screaming and then gurgling. The stairs Holly and Jarl took were almost completely black too - it was only because it was their own familiar home that they were able to make it down and out the door in the pitch dark. A huge blast of light shimmered from the top of the stairs for a moment...but that was snuffed. When they opened the door, Holly almost fainted in shock. There were two troops of soldiers waiting for them. It was hopeless. They were caught - there was no way to escape. Except, the shadowy darkness from the stairwell spilled out all around them, puddling on the ground and then rising up.

And, it started to rend the soldiers apart. Her childhood friends had come to save her. But the shadows did not seem to be able (or want) to distinguish Jarl from the guards. She pulled and pulled, trying to bring him with her. All around her was dark, screaming, terror, horror, hot splashes against her bare arms and face, and the smell of blood. She held onto Jarl's jerking hand and tried to get him to run with her. Only when she pulled on the hand to direct him...there was a great hiss and a POP and the hand she clutched came with her so very light and easy. She screamed and screamed and ran through the pitch black...still holding a hand but with nothing but a bit of arm attached to it. When she finally dropped Jarl's dismembered hands, the shadows showed her the way to run - making her a tunnel but finally letting in some light for her to run toward.

------------------
The assault on the mountain began the next day. Holly didn't know if her encrypted messages had reached her people. She didn't know what happened to the merchant - if he had been a double agent all along or had been recently caught and coerced into betraying them. She did know that she was a known spy who had caused the death of a noble and 20 soldiers and that she was wanted dead or alive. She didn't think she could make it home. There was an entire enemy army at the Pass - they might have been told to look out for her. That trail through the narrow Pass that was such a blessing for the people in the range now made it impossible for her to go to them.

So, Holly went the opposite way. She traveled as quickly as she could toward the borders of the kingdom at the sea. There she took the first boat going - anywhere away. Holly is in a continual state of controlled panic once she gets out of her initial shock. I imagine she is a bit nervous now, around her childhood shadow playmates.
Now all together "Crap that's long!"
Unread 5th of October, 2006, 02:43
cappucina
Skeleton

To clarify or answer questions the background might bring up....

Holly must keep her dealings as a spy, her marriage, and her childhood friends those Shadows to herself. Even if one of the characters got to be real friendly with her at some point - I think she would be scared to tell anyone about it (especially a bard!!!). Holly (nor I) really know what the shadows are. She's not been playing or dancing for/with them (not since they ripped Jarl apart) and either she's lost them with so much traveling or they are keeping their distance. Itches is now in charge of the Shadows. I don't think they are likely to be a part of Bumbling Bards.

I think that she would seem like a very gentle person. One thing that might be telling of her personality, if there are children in the audience, she will change her show to be more for fun for them. She'll gently include them - make them assistants or if they are willing she'll make them even more apart of the show even if it means that her performance doesn't go as perfectly as it could have as a result. Like instead of doing a complete show of slow, dramatic balancing and contortion...she mix in some juggling and have them wave ribbons or bang drums or toss balls with her. She's talented, but she keeps a fairly low profile. She's definately not out to best another bard. Maybe when she met you(?) instead of competing with you she let you take your pick of venues or if it was a one tavern town she even sat in the audience to watch the show.

Perhaps you asked her if she wanted to travel with you to the next town, suggested that you begin to make a troupe or if you knew of the other bards then become part of your new troupe....and she had hesitations. It seemed like she wanted to - like she really appreciated the idea of it - but after a difficult decision making process answered "no." When she met you, it was a while back, she was still real spooked and didn't want to be attached to anyone else - she privately thought it was too dangerous (for you). But, she is a people person who is used to having close relationships with family and friends. I don't think Holly enjoys being so alone. It depresses her, and if she runs into you (?) again she might be more open to establishing a longer term connection. She might even suggest it herself - ask if it is still something you would consider.

PS Please forgive all the grammar and spelling errors and some confusion in the lengthy background. It was more like a brainstorm I thought I would work on again and make pretty.

Last edited by cappucina; 5th of October, 2006 at 02:51.
Unread 5th of October, 2006, 04:59
cappucina
Skeleton

Oh, and whatever happened to that kobold sorcerer you were talking about? I mean the one in your other game that you were trying to recruit a player for. Did you find somebody to take over the character? I'm just curious because your description of the game (in some other thread, I think it was) sounded pretty cool!
I'm not sure what's going on. But, I love that. We all thought he was dead. He got a crossbow bolt in the eye....the healer could detect no signs of life. Then a new really weird character comes along and raises him - sorta. He didn't regenerate his eye, instead the crossbow bolt came popping out, ejected by a blue burning flame witch then shrivled his punctured eye and eyelid to nothing. And, now, he's got a blue burning flame instead of an eye - permanently I guess. He's having a hard time remembering us - he claims he's been gone a long time - but he does provide us with creepy information about the temple we have been in for a few hours that he didn't know before he died.

The DM is on vacation for a week. Leaving us with quite a cliffhanger.

I do believe Gixer is my first undead companion. Though, I am not sure it is Gixer anymore.
Unread 5th of October, 2006, 11:20
itches

I've been struggling to write up a wedding post, and it's slow going. I havn't been slacking off.