Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > David's Games > Kingdom of Danleb

Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 13th of May, 2009, 03:16
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
Chapter 2: the Cavern

After packing up the last of your gear, you set out south. It takes four days of searching while traveling south to find the cave, or at least a cave. The night before you spotted the glow of a fire further to the south.
In front of the entrance there is evidence of a camp site. It would appear that a large bonfire was burnt here very recently, probably the one you saw last night. After carefully searching the area, you can determine that the tracks that you have been following end here, at the edge of the fire ash.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 13th of May, 2009, 11:27
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
"Well, it doesn't look like whoever it was left in any other direction... so I guess they must be in the cave." Arkas walks to the mouth of the cave and peers inside. "Should we go?"
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 14th of May, 2009, 00:22
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
Looking inside you find a tunnel gently slopping down. There is a slightly odd scent to the air, maybe moss mixed with wet stone, and something you cannot quite put your finger on.
The tunnel is a few yards across, and several high.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 17th of May, 2009, 01:58
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.27 per day)
Leander pauses to inspect the remains of the fire and the tracks leading into the cave for a few spare moments before taking out the lantern attempting to operate it. [ What are the lighting conditions in the cave? ] He does this at the mouth of the cavern, kneeling down. "Have you been here before N'Dali?" he asks as he works. When Arkas asks he nods to the affirmative. "As soon as we have some light."
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 17th of May, 2009, 04:19
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
Inspecting the ground leading upto the cave opening reveals signs of traffic, quite a lot in fact. The tracks overlap one another such that they are effectively unreadable. All you can tell is that there has been a lot of activity here, probably recently.
Kicking the ashes of the fire uncovers a few pieces of heat twisted metal, and a cracked and blackend human skull.
The first few dozen feet are illuminated by the daylight, but it grows dark quickly beyond, as the tunnel extends back into the cliff.
[assuming you are referring to the lamp found in the chamber under the stone ritual site]
The it has about a half pint capacity for oil, but no mechanism to control the length of a wick, nor any receptacle to hold a wick. You could make a makeshift wick for it, and rig something to hold it, if you wish to try. [If there is something else you would like to try with it, let me know.]




N'Dali, looking more nervous than you have seen him thus far, “No, I have never been here before, but I have a very strong feeling that something bad is about to happen. Be on your guard.”
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 17th of May, 2009, 08:08
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
"Let's be quick then." Arkas glances nervously at te skull.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 17th of May, 2009, 23:55
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.27 per day)
Leander struggles with the lamp for a moment, muttering to himself as he does so, eventually giving up and frowning in frustration. "I still can't discern this thing. If any of you have something we can use for light let us use it and proceed, otherwise I think we may need to scrounge about for material for torches."
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 00:04
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
Arkas speaks up, somewhat hesitantly. "Um, well I uh, have some candles..." He starts fishing around in his pack and eventually produces three candles.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 00:08
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.27 per day)
[ Are those the demon candles of doom? ]
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 00:11
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
[I don't remember, but you were gonna use the demon lantern of doom anyway... I don't think they are. Who picked those up?]
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 00:18
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.27 per day)
[ I'm not sure. lol. That is why I asked. And yes, that was the lantern I was going to try and use. Meh. Light the candles. If we die, we die. I'll blame you in hell. ]
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 00:31
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
[Well we'd be able to recognize them easily if they were. Anyway, I think Arkas only took the demon bag of powdery doom.}

After making sure these are not the doom candles Arkas passes them around to the others. Taking one himself, he steps cautiously into the mouth of the cave.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 03:51
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
The candles are indeed not the demon candles, they are fairly common Tallow candles and each should burn for about twelve hours. Arkas passes them out to Leander and Sophia while N'Dali produces his crystal amulet.
Once the candles are lit the four of you proceed into the cavern.

[If anyone does not want to light their candle yet let me know]


The tunnel is a few yards across, and several high. After a few dozen yards it splits: the left passage narrowing to only a yard or two wide and two to three high; the right widens to five yards wide and six or seven high. The left passage has a dank, slightly moldy smell, the air feels cool and moist, and the rocks are beaded with drops of water. The right passage smells of warm stone, the air is warm and dry, and the dry stones are almost warm to the touch.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 04:08
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
Arkas chooses to conserve his own candle in case of an unforeseen emergency. Besides, he can't punch very well while holding it anyway. Reaches the fork in the tunnel, he considers for a moment, and decides that the right passage is rather more inviting than the left. "I think we should go right. The left one seems uninhabited..." He whispers. "...and wet."
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 06:39
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
As you discuss whether to take the right or left passage, first Arkas, and then the rest of you notice that there are several drops of candle wax on the stone of the floor. Arkas further notices that they are fresh, not more than a day old, and there are a few just inside the left passage, but none in the right passage.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 18th of May, 2009, 13:38
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
Arkas wonders aloud at this, but provides no opinion.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 26th of May, 2009, 05:51
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
[So, what is the consensus: Right or Left?]
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 26th of May, 2009, 06:08
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
[There is no consensus. Arkas pointed out the wax and that's it. No one else said anything at all about it. Since no one else seems to care either, let's head left.]
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 1st of June, 2009, 03:37
Vortigern's Avatar
Vortigern
Bodak [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Member: #7429
Posts: 859 (0.27 per day)
Leander will carry a lit candle in his left hand his sword in the other. His shield and other weaponry etc. are strapped across his back. When the wax is discovered he recommends/agrees with following it wherever it goes.
__________________
V/R,
Vortigern

"Adventure is something bad, happening to someone else, far far away."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 4th of July, 2009, 06:25
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
Venturing deeper into the passage, the air quickly cools, until after only a few dozen steps you find yourselves shivering slightly, your light summer clothes failing to provide sufficient protection from the chill air. The stones under your feet have become slick with moisture, and you can hear the sounds of dripping water coming from ahead.




After maybe another dozen yards the tunnel opens into a large cavern. The ceiling extends up perhaps three yards above your heads, the floor drops away, a sheer drop of perhaps four yards to the floor. The far wall is beyond the light of the candle. The left and right walls curve inwards a little, but disappear into the darkness to either side. As you examine the drop to the floor below, you can make out what may be hand and foot holds carved into the bare rock. The climb looks a bit risky, what with the wet, slimy rocks, but doable. Every once in a while you catch a glimpse of slightly flickering light, perhaps a reflection of the candle, off towards the center(?) of the cavern.
There is also the faint sounds of water running over rocks coming from deeper in the dark cavern.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 4th of July, 2009, 08:07
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
"Um..." Arkas peers down futilely into the pit before them. "Well I guess I should be the one to go first... Did anyone bring a rope?"
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 5th of July, 2009, 02:28
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
N'Dali “Yes, there is some in the wagon. I shall go get it.” With that he turns and makes his way back outside.
While he is gone you examine the area and notice that there is nowhere to secure the rope. Some one will have to hold it at the top, and descend without the aid of the rope.
N'Dali returns shortly with a ten yard length of rope.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 7th of July, 2009, 12:20
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
"Alright so... I suppose Leander should be lowered down first, his armor weighs the most. So we will need the most help holding the rope. I will climb down last and bring the rope with me... Hm, if only we hand a spike to tie the rope to. How do you suppose the inhabitants get down?" Arkas again peers over the edge. "Hm, I wonder, just how deep is this?" He tosses one end of the rope downward while holding onto the other and waits for the sound of it landing.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 05:40
David
Vampire Spawn [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member: #3238
Location: Washington
Posts: 469 (0.14 per day)
The stone floor of the cavern is covered in a thin layer of sandy mud, patches of thick moss, large rocks or very small boulders covered in lichen. There are tiny rivulets of water that spiderweb the floor, none are more then a few inches wide or deeper then perhaps a half inch.
The rock wall extends to either side, and a vast open area of darkness extends ahead.
Stepping out from the wall N'Dali moves towards the intermittent glint of light.
After about ten minutes of carefully picking your way between small boulders, finding good purchase on the wet, somewhat slippery floor, you find yourselves at the bank of a shallow stream, perhaps four yards wide, and half a yard deep. There are many rocks in the water, most worn smooth,a few jagged, many forming small dams and reservoirs behind which the water forms pools
The water makes a pleasant burbling sound as it flows over and around the stones, and splashes into the shallow pools. The stream has cut a channel in the floor extending left and right across the chamber. The chasm is about ten feet deep here and gently slopes up to the right and down to the left.
The faint glittering of light comes from somewhere on the other side of the chasm.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 8th of July, 2009, 10:17
Shoelip's Avatar
Shoelip
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Member: #2780
Location: The corner of a round room.
Posts: 3,518 (0.93 per day)
Arkas finds himself checking from time to time on Sophia to make certain she is progressing without trouble. He isn't sure why, it's almost involuntary.

Stopping by the stream to take a look around, he spots the flickering in the distance, "I suppose we should find the source of that light..." he says in a low voice, and starts off in that direction, after making sure of course that everyone is following.
__________________
I like to think that there's a little Starbucks in all of us.

Fantasy world simulator, Dwarf Fortress. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 22:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren