Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

Unread 24th of August, 2006, 06:27
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Originally Posted by trendel "Now don't argue over who's idea it was....I think Nimdor was suggesting we start now, while we are in the surroundings of a city yet. And then, if this still hasn't solved the problem, we can try again once we reach the wilderness, where you're mosre suited."
Haven't we left Ichiba? I was under the impression that we were on the road.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 06:38
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Member: #136
The group is now 9 miles Northwest of Ichiba.

Please clarify your plan for me. I understand that either just Nimdor or Nimdor, Linus, and Kierna are going to stop and hide to ambush the person that is supposed to be following them. Are you planning to split off now, or in Shen, or after Shen?

Also, is the group going through Shen or around? If around, then how far around?
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 06:41
treehouse

What's the surrounding terrain like right now? I'd rather wait to try to apprehend/kill the fellow until we are out of this big crowd, but that requires getting onto a rural track. Also, he might not follow us so closely if he can't blend into a crowd, if he doesn't just take off to report his findings to whoever he works for.

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 07:03
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

The road is 10-15 feet wide and unpaved but hard packed. Slopes and areas prone to erosion are gatch (hard packed gravel mixed with dirt). It has a shallow ditch on either side. Beyond the ditch is either a wooden fence, short stone wall, or hedgerow (varies from farm to farm) sometimes with a row of trees. Every mile or two the road fords a shallow stream. The road cuts through a narrow band of forest along either riverbank at each of these ford sites.

Since the characters have travelled this road before (everyone at least once, some twice), they can predict turns in the road, fords, fences vs hedgerows etc up ahead.

The characters also know that there will be less traffic once they get a few miles past Shen into QingShan Province. They should also remember that there will be a militia checkpoint at the border. As long as they are on a highway during the day, there should be other travellers visible at almost all times.
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 08:21
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
The plan isn't to actually ambush the person, there is a better way to do that, which would involve obvious decoys. The plan is to spy on the shadow, and learn why he is following the group, and if he has other people working with him. If we wanted to ambush them, we'd have some of the group go ahead, not back or sideways, and set it up. That, or send somebody with the obvious plans of sneaking up on the spy, and give him hidden backup.
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 11:46
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

So it sounds like Nimdor is going to split off from the others at the next intersection, which is in Shen, then attempt to follow the rider that Kierna spotted. Right?
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 22:52
Linklegacy77

Yes, but he's going to make sure to stay out of sight. He's going to go into a business in Shen, and wait for the rider to pass a bit, then come out and follow him.
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 23:06
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Actually, given the guy that just headed back to Shen, I'm more inclined to go with Kierna's plan now. It's my bet that the village militia will be martialed to meet us by that nobleman, and they won't be friendly. Going around will avoid a confrontation.
Unread 24th of August, 2006, 23:37
Linklegacy77

Right, go around, and have Nimdor go off on his own.
Unread 25th of August, 2006, 04:39
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

Please verify my comprehension:
Everyone is going to leave the road and go around Shen, except for Nimdor. Nimdor will continue into Shen, where he will duck into a shop and wait for this guy to pass:

then follow him.

Right?

Are Y'all going to cut across the fields or take the next farm trail? Go around Shen clockwise (to the south) or counterclockwise (to the north)?
Unread 25th of August, 2006, 05:25
treehouse

Wouldn't that put Nimdor in pretty serious danger if there is an ambush waiting for us in Shen, and he's recognized as one of Golock's own?

Nimdor's pretty good at moving around undetected, eh Link?

Unread 25th of August, 2006, 07:45
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

We should go around Shen to the south, as that will leave us off road for the shorter time.

Also, as I said, I'm more in favor of Kierna's plan.
Unread 25th of August, 2006, 10:08
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

I have a 3-day national guard weekend (not an overnighter, fortunately) starting tomorrow, so I have to hit the sack early tonight. Tomorrow night is my F2F D&D group, so I won't be able to devote time to the boards until Saturday night.

In the meantime, Y'all can finish working out your strategy (in-character preferably).
Unread 25th of August, 2006, 11:27
Linklegacy77

Nimdor's pretty good at moving around undetected, eh Link?
Damn straight. And Nimdor's also good at bluffing, he can talk his way out of trouble if he gets into it.

Do both. Go around Shen, but Nimdor will break off, and then follow that guy.
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 07:07
Linklegacy77

Please note:

Nimdor was not there when Golock turned the leader into stone, or when he turned him back. In fact, Nimdor has never seen or met the leader of Shen.
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 08:12
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

How quickly we forget...

From Nimdor's Interlude 21:
To Nimdor he says "If you are working for the Shen clan, then behold your boss. There stands the chieftain of Shen." He gestures towards an ugly statue near the door, of a middle aged gentlemen pointing accusingly towards Golock. "It is time to resolve this conclusively."

With a word and a gesture he returns the statue to living form. The chieftain of Shen staggers in alarm. "Now you listen here!" commands Golock. "Go back to your village and call off this bounty you are offering, and look for your whorish daughter elsewhere. If anyone from your pathetic village bothers me again, you will wish you were still a statue. Do you agree?"

"Um..y..yes" stutters the chieftain.

"Why are you still here?" roars Golock, and shoots a barrage of magic missiles at the chieftain. The wounded chieftain runs out as fast as he can, jumps down the stairs, runs through the stables, and lets himself out of the main gate.
You may want to edit your last IC post.
Unread 26th of August, 2006, 09:07
Linklegacy77

Ah, yes, I had forgotten that. Not that it matters, as he won't recognize Nimdor, and Nimdor had never actually met him before then. He was very likely too preoccupied with recovering from his petrification and the freight of the Dread Wizard.
Unread 28th of August, 2006, 22:22
treehouse

This should be interesting.

Unread 28th of August, 2006, 22:43
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I wonder whose side this Imperial Army Officer is on?

Damn I hate having different units of the army allied with different factions. It makes telling who's who so much harder.

At least, however, we know about the split in the army, so we won't automatically assume these men are allied with our customer.
Unread 28th of August, 2006, 23:26
treehouse

True enough.

I'm going to advocate a course of avoidance, if at all possible. If we find out we are still being followed, Kierna may be able to lose them by blazing her own trail through the woods. Or at the very least, we can set up a good ambush and then force them to parley.

Unread 28th of August, 2006, 23:35
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

This is the same map that was posted in the IC thread. You are currently at 01.5E/19N.

There are no real forests anywhere nearby. This is a densely cultivated area of gentle hills. There may be hiding places: behind hedgerows, or among some tall crops (since it is now midsummer) for instance, and there may be some narrow strips of forest along steams or between properties.

However, very soon you can enter a one mile hex of "rough hills" on the border between the provinces that is uninhabited.

EDIT: and here is the key. For mapping convenience, I always use "gentle hills" for inhabited hexes (inhabited meaning someone lives there in a house, thorp, or hamlet), and "rough hills" for uninhabited hexes. I should have posted this with the IC thread map.
On the positive side, I remembered to give the CR of the NPCs. Maybe I am capable of learning after all.

Last edited by crueldespot; 28th of August, 2006 at 23:43.
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 00:40
trendel
Wight

Member: #1482
Are those in the main group aware of the pursuers? Just curious as Gizerak was going to make a point based on if he saw them or not. I get the impression that it is only Nimdor who is aware of the newcomers.

And also, do we have a CR for our shadow? I looked but didn't find one. Of course I could have missed it.

---It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.---
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 05:22
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

You are correct that only Nimdor was aware of the others. Since Link has already posted, I went ahead and did the next installment, which brings us to the point where they are all aware.
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 05:31
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
This has the potential to be very "not good". Any suggestions? One guy is wearing imperial armor. Maybe Fugen's status as Imperial Courier will be of some use, or perhaps we should just hightail it.
Unread 29th of August, 2006, 05:41
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

We can't outrun them. The golem's too slow. It might be able to keep up the speed indefinately (something our horses can't) but over the short distance, a mounted group can overtake the golem (especially if they are willing to ditch the monk, who can't run quite so fast).

I say we find a spot that gives us a tactical advantage, and then turn to face them. We should start with some attempt to talk, but if things go south, a sound position could make all the difference in the world.