Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 12th of December, 2005, 18:13
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Jiangu OOC 2

The latest forum to post anything besides the actual storyline.
  #2  
Unread 13th of December, 2005, 00:18
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.15 per day)
Weeeee first post!
  #3  
Unread 13th of December, 2005, 03:32
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Second.

Oh, and CD, there's not restriction on thread lenght here. If you look in Eidilon (one of the free form games) the OOC there is up to 171 pages.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #4  
Unread 13th of December, 2005, 03:51
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Also, in response to Mercutio's suggestion, you might want to follow them back to the road split, where they will unquestionable spot and engage with the rest of the group, so that you're not stuck trying to take on that many with just the two of you (Kierna and Linus).
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #5  
Unread 13th of December, 2005, 11:48
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
I know I'm not required to start a new thread, but I like to keep threads at 5 pages or less if possible, so they are easier to dig through.
  #6  
Unread 13th of December, 2005, 21:55
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Mercutio: Linus is following "just on the edge of sight." Whose sight? Linus's normal sight (30 ft shadowy illum) or the goblin's 60 ft darkvision?
  #7  
Unread 14th of December, 2005, 00:19
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.72 per day)
Well, hoping Kierna is with Linus (since it was her idea to trail the goblins) I was thinking of Linus following with her and using her low-light vision to guide them, as before. If Kierna isn't following with Linus, he'll stay outside the goblin's 60ft darkvision and trust that the group will be sticking to the road.
  #8  
Unread 14th of December, 2005, 09:03
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Now Termix tells us!

Shall we set up a reception committee for the goblin patrol?
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #9  
Unread 14th of December, 2005, 10:55
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.15 per day)
I think we should... perhaps i should cross the road quicklike so we can get them in between us?
  #10  
Unread 15th of December, 2005, 01:34
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
I'm thinking we place the bull's eye lantern on the ground facing the path and then have every one take cover in the shadows. The peculiarity of the situation should cause some confusion amongst the goblins, which we can take advantage of by suprising them with ranged attacks. Of course, if the goblins don't step into the light, that'll be a little harder.

Another thing to consider might be to close the bull's eye lantern so that it no longer gives off light, and have someone hiding near the path. When the goblins show up they can open the lantern, showering the goblins in light and allowing the rest of the party to engage them.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #11  
Unread 15th of December, 2005, 10:24
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.15 per day)
Not a bad idea, gimmi the lantern, i'll place it in the center of the road as i cross.
  #12  
Unread 15th of December, 2005, 10:35
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Which idea? I suggested two.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #13  
Unread 15th of December, 2005, 11:31
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Here is a map of the intersection so that you can position your characters. The darkened area represents the area that is not visible, while the white area is in shadow. This is assuming that your lantern is currently shut. The darkened area is not completely black, since you have already seen it, so it is not unknown.

  #14  
Unread 15th of December, 2005, 15:49
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.15 per day)
I thought we got off to the side of the road?
  #15  
Unread 15th of December, 2005, 20:15
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Which side? North or south of the intersection? How far off to the side?

This is why I provided the map. Now you can tell me "Flarrgj is at 310E/135N, and he will move to 355E/155N" (or whatever). Don't worry about their current location on the map. Imagine we were playing D&D in person. I just busted out the mapboard and figures and dumped them in a pile. Now you set them up.
  #16  
Unread 16th of December, 2005, 00:26
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.15 per day)
Ok, heres how i see it. The lamp goes, turned off, at 135 north, 325 east, Flarrg goes 140 north, 310 east, Termix goes 145 North, 310 East. Linus and Fugen go on 140/145 North, respectivly, 340 east. When they stumble on the lamp hey stop, pick it, curius, we attack, gaining a suprise round while The other two catch up. We catch them from three sides and hopefully sluaghter them.

Might termix have any usefull AoE spells like burning handes or color spray you could use?
  #17  
Unread 16th of December, 2005, 03:39
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
I say we take the horses about 70 ft south of the intersection and tie them up or hobble them (depending on the avaliablity of trees). That way the goblins won't be able to see them, but will probably be able to hear them and hopefully will assume we're with the horses.

CD, is the Highway the straighter of the two paths? I.e. we expect the goblinoid patrol to be coming from the trail that heads off to the right?
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #18  
Unread 16th of December, 2005, 08:39
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.36 per day)
Know? Yes. Prepared? No. Got plenty of MM though.

I like the idea of moving the horses down the road to the south. I also like the idea of someone holding the lantern and opening it when they get near. My only question about the latter is would it be enought to dazzle them? If so, is there a way we can combine the two ideas?

Lastly, I must apoligize for getting us into this situation. If I wouldn't have dilly daddled around about getting an answer we could have turned out the latern before Linus and Kierna left.
  #19  
Unread 16th of December, 2005, 08:52
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
If it makes you feel any better, generaljimX, I don't think "turning off" the lantern would have helped as a light stopping and going out at the base of the trail would have been just as obvious as one stopping and staying on. To avoid things we would have had to have known about it before reaching the split so that one person could continue on with the lantern and then returned with it out after they had traveled far enough to be out of sight of the tower.

I'm still waiting on CD to clarify which path is which, but another thing that just occured to me is that goblinoids have darkvision. We're going to need actual cover to hide from them, not just shadows. As a result we'll need to pick positions so that every one has a tree or boulder to hide behind.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #20  
Unread 16th of December, 2005, 12:55
Andorax's Avatar
Andorax
Ghoul

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1481
Location: Boise, ID, USA
Posts: 176 (0.04 per day)
Goblins, people...they're just goblins. Can we please get on with slaughtering them mercilessly? Let's save the week-long strategizing for BBEG fights.
__________________
Whadda ya mean, Orcs got levels too?
  #21  
Unread 16th of December, 2005, 15:08
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
The wider north-south road is the highway. The fork that heads northeast is the road that Kierna and Linus took towards the tower of Mikon.
  #22  
Unread 17th of December, 2005, 01:22
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Okay, here's how I see it.

We place the horses 60 ft S of the trail head.

Flarrgj uses the tree in 110N/355E to hide behind.

Fugen uses the tree at 145N/345E to hide behind. He has the lantern closed and uses it to illuminate the goblins when they show up.

Gizerak hides behind the tree at 125N/370E.

Termix hides behind the tree at 105N/365E. This puts him the furthest away from the fight, but he doesn't need to be close to use magic missle, he just needs to be able to see (which is where Fugen and the lantern come in).
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #23  
Unread 17th of December, 2005, 01:31
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.36 per day)
That seems like a good idea to me, BP. I think we should move along with it if there are no objections.
  #24  
Unread 17th of December, 2005, 08:34
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.15 per day)
Well, that's three out of four (myself, generaljimX, and trendel, via his IC post). I guess we're a go.

Oh, and Fugen's got some tanglefoot bags and alchemist's fire. Those should help with keeping things under control.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #25  
Unread 17th of December, 2005, 09:18
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.36 per day)
Well, it sure will.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 18:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren