Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > crueldespot's Games > Jiangu!

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 16:11
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Chapter 4 Scene 6 Epilogue

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6 Epilogue

Using the ladder, ingenuity, and teamwork, the heroes return to the ground floor safely.

They are able to salvage the chest, Mikon’s journal, several arcane books of academic interest, and the following items: an ivory statuette of Mikon decorated with gems, an ivory plaque, and a pair of platinum rings.

Flarrgj is able to improvise a sled from tree branches that he chops down. They are able to use ropes from the goblins’ tents to lash down the valuables they salvaged from upstairs and the equipment they looted from the goblins. To haul this sled down the rough mountain trial will severely reduce their speed, but it is a short enough journey.

Before dark they have returned to the home of Termix’ parents in the village. Termix’ mother is alarmed by the wounds and bloodstains borne by the henchmen. She insists upon washing their clothes immediately.

When the village elder sees that they have returned, he calls for messengers to ride over the mountains to Merak Hoi to announce that the pass is now safe again. “Now we can resume our trade with our neighbors to the north!” he rejoices.
  #2  
Unread 12th of July, 2006, 23:49
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.18 per day)
Before the messangers can leave, Fugen makes a point of getting Linus or Gizerak to explain to the leader what their goblin prisoner had told them about the invasion of Merak Hoi (mainly that it had happened) and the part from their written orders about capturing and returning messengers to "HQ". Any messengers the village elder sends should be very careful to avoid military installations if they wanted to avoid capture.

Last edited by Black Plauge; 13th of July, 2006 at 00:16.
  #3  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 01:26
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.77 per day)
Linus quickly relays Fugen's point and then adds his own thoughts. "Trade with Merak Hoi, although vital to you, may still be an obstacle. The goblin prisoner also mentioned a patrol of high ranking soldiers coming to Mikon's tower for an inspection of some sort."

The halfling added mentally, I only hope those inspectors don't follow our trail to this village. Damn. Should have thought about that earlier. Now we've put these people in danger.
  #4  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 06:51
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
I was just thinking of warning them of the "patrol". Glad someone else caught the messenger.

"Mom," Termix said when approached by her, "Mom, these are common among us. Its part of being a henchman for Golock. No, I'm not hurt bad. I'm going to live." Mothers. Always worried about their children.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #5  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 07:49
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.53 per day)
Kierna grins impishly at Termix when his mother isn't looking at them, but says nothing.

Regarding the patrol - "Do you think it would be best for us to return to the Tower and ambush these people who could follow our trail? Dead men tell no tales."
  #6  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 14:10
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
Thankful for the kind thoughts of Termix's mother, Gizerak gladly lets his clothes be taken for washing. Strolling around comfortably wrapped in a blanket, he chats idly with Termix's family until Kierna begins talking of returning to the tower.

"I think we may need to think twice before heading back to the tower. Even were Sha-gaat to bless me in the morning, I fear I would barely be able to heal us of all our wounds. Even if I could, I do not think it would be wise to take to the field with the few blessings I would have after seeing to our hurts."

Hesitating briefly, he leans over and grabs a handful of earth from his feet before continuing on.

"Unless we feel that we must return to the tower to retrieve the remainder of Mikon's posessions, I think we should travel on. Golock's mission to us was to investigate the tower, not invest the compound and hold it from all who would come. Besides, we know not how many are in the reinforcement party. They could number as many as the grains of sand here in my hand."

With his thoughts on the matter expressed, the halfing sits down and begins to let the dirt run through his fingers as he mumbles a quick prayer to the King of the North Mountain.
  #7  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 16:17
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj walks, naked with no aperint shame or even atention to the difference. He listens to the conversation and waites his turn.

"I think we should return, collect what was left and return to Golog, he is a... particular old man. I think he wouldent like us taking to much initiative."
  #8  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 17:28
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:1 Villagers are Shocked

The village elder revises the mission of the messengers. He instructs them instead to scout the road to Merak Hoi and discover the situation in Merak Hoi.

The modest and conservative villagers are shocked by Flarrgj's shamelessness. They avert their eyes, and whisper about it when he turns away.


The village shaman is called to help tend to the heroes' wounds.



OOC:
healing: 6hp to Flarrgj, 5hp to Kierna, 7hp to Termix.

Last edited by crueldespot; 14th of July, 2006 at 19:21.
  #9  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 22:26
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.53 per day)
"No, Gizerak is right. I was not thinking of it practically; it would be foolish to go back and meet these newcomers at anything less than full strength, and by the time we were at full strength it would probably be too late. We've done what Golock sent us to do."
  #10  
Unread 13th of July, 2006, 23:02
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.77 per day)
"That crotchety old man will probably be furious just with how long we've been gone already, let alone delaying that for any longer. Also, I've no wish to face another fight so soon after that last one. I'm still hurting from that stupid broken floor I fell from. I think we should rest and head back to Golock."

Last edited by Mercutio; 13th of July, 2006 at 23:05.
  #11  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 00:06
trendel's Avatar
trendel
Wight

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1482
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 395 (0.09 per day)
When the shaman comes to see to the party's wounds, Gizerak lends his hand in the work. Checking the bandages that covered previous wounds and replacing them where necessary, he also converts the last of his granted blessings into prayers of healing. Seeing Flaargj as the apparently most injured, he lays hands on his giant companion. Thankfully, Gizerak is short and his hands only end up having to touch the man's knee.

Once the healing and speaking is done, the halfling finds himself a place outside and begins praying to his deity, seeking guidance and requesting his spells for the next day.

OOC: channel Light (1hp), Resistance (1hp), and Divine Favor (1d8+3hp) to healing spells and apply them to Flaargj. All spells now used up.
  #12  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 05:22
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.18 per day)
Fugen's wounds are mostly scrapes and bruises from falling which will heal on there own just fine, but even so he allows the shaman to look at them nonetheless. He would not dishonor the man by refusing his aid.

Once it is decided to return to Golock's tower, a course of action that the courier approves of, Fugen goes about inquiring with the town's folk (through one of the halflings of course) about the possibility of purchasing a cart to carry the salvaged books and chest. He also wants to know the disposition of the village's defenses. With Marek Hoi in enemy hands the village was on the front line of any invasion this province. If the village needed it, the equipment that was used by the hobgoblins and the bugbear would be useful if they needed to defend themselves.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #13  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 11:31
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
Termix gladly accepts the healing from the town shaman, and thanks him for his help. He then steps to the edge of town, and pulls out the pheora "egg" from earlier. I really wonder if this is going to work, he thinks while placing it on a large rock or the ground, and pulling out his quarterstaff. At least I'm outside this time he continues as he swings the quarterstaff downward to break the egg.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #14  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 14:24
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj (thankfull clothed now) begins to go over all they braught back from the tower, sorting it into what he felt they had a right to take, and what they should give to the towns-folk, when he is done he shows them to Fugen for aproval.

((See OOC))
  #15  
Unread 14th of July, 2006, 20:01
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
6:2 Termix Breaks the Phoera Egg

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:2 Termix Breaks the Phoera Egg

The village elder assures the henchmen that the local militia is well equipped, and does not need any goblinoid weapons or armor, especially miniature ones.

Hearing more about the invasion force across the mountains, he also sends a messenger south on a fast horse to inform the provincial governor.

Fugen has no trouble purchasing a cart and a heavy horse to pull it.

Termix breaks the phoera egg, and finds it to be filled with a yoke-like core of lava that cools and blackens almost immediately.

The heroes are provided hot baths and dinner. They sleep soundly until the morning.





OOC:

Please specify your route back to Ichiba.

Darn. That would have been hilarious if you had forgotten about the phoera egg.

215gp from the horde for a heavy horse and cart.

Yes, all of the goblinoid shields are wooden.

10 more HP to Flarrgj.

Current HP totals (including overnight rest)
Fugen 13/16
Flarrgj 21/30
Gizerak 16/16
Kierna 14/24
Linus 6/9
Termix 13/14
  #16  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 01:19
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.18 per day)
Given that they are burdened by a horse and cart for the return trip, Fugen would like to stick to the highway, which will make for far easier passage. However, doing so will take them through Shen again, and Flarrgj will not exactly be welcome there.

As a result, Fugen asks the halflings to consult with the villagers about the condition of the smaller cart roads and the upcoming weather. Being a born and raised city dweller, he himself has no ability to predict the weather, but he's heard stories that farmers generally can, at least for the next day or so.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #17  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 08:51
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
6:3 The Sky Done Rainin’

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:3 The Sky Done Rainin’

The Halflings find the village’s most grizzled woodsman and ask him about the weather.

“My bad knee bone say the sky done rainin’, yet I reckon the roads is still plenty wet from ‘afore.”

The henchmen attempt to appraise the platinum rings. Flarrgj, Kierna, Linus, and Termix are unable to even venture a guess. Fugen thinks that they are worth about 40 gold pieces. Gizerak thinks they are worth no more than 30.



OOC:
Fugen is correct. It is the evening of the next day after they set out for Mikon’s tower.

Nobody in the group has appraise skill.
  #18  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 10:56
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
Termix takes some time to figure out what the scroll and potion that they got in the courtyard of the tower are. He gives Gizerak any divine scrolls that they have, and allows the others to take what potions they want after explaining what each is.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #19  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 11:04
Exarzun
Spectre

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1494
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 721 (0.16 per day)
Flarrgj, seeing the issue offers to split with the main group and travel the smaller side roads around the troublesome town while the main group passes through. He is taking a longer rout, but should be traveling faster then the main group, and hopefully they will arrive at the same time.
  #20  
Unread 15th of July, 2006, 14:19
generaljimX's Avatar
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1504
Location: Indiana, US
Posts: 1,737 (0.37 per day)
Once Termix has rested, and prepared his spells for the day, he grabs some things that may or may not be magical, and sets them in front of him. All together, he has the jewelry they found, the chest, and the ivory plaque. He then speaks a few short words of power, and begins examining each item individually.

OOC: Gather the said items. Cast detect magic, and then begin examing them individually to see which ones are and which ones aren't magical.
__________________
Minion of Doom
Owner of a Benicus Man-Card, an akiko kumquat, an Illusioned Anori Hilt Badge, a zachol iced green tea, and a Link Deku Leaf.
Situation: Normal
  #21  
Unread 16th of July, 2006, 09:50
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:4 Faint Magical Auras

Termix spreads out all of the loot, including the goblinoid’s equipment and everything salvaged from Mikon’s tower (with the exception of magic items that have already been identified).

There is a faint magical aura emanating from within the unopened chest. Termix can’t make out the shape, but it is a large object that takes up most of the space in the chest.

There is another faint aura in the unopened scrollcase taken from the hobgoblin priest.

Because the sources of the auras are within containers, Termix can't determine the schools of magic involved.
  #22  
Unread 17th of July, 2006, 02:47
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.53 per day)
"Flarrgj, not that I doubt your prowess in combat, but is it really safe to travel alone these days? If we are going to split up, it would be best if one other person went with you."
  #23  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 05:20
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.18 per day)
Having never owned any jewlery, Fugen can only hazard a guess as to the value of the platinum rings. He doesn't really trust it, but he lets the others know what he thinks anyway. He also indicates that they should get a professional to look at them in Ichiba.

Given Termix's description of their being a magical aura within the chest, Fugen also suggests that they should try opening it before heading back to Golock's. It wouldn't do to have something unexpected happen because of an unkown magical item while they were on the road.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
  #24  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 06:10
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.77 per day)
Linus nods at Fugen's remarks, and studies the chest for a long time before attempting to open it.

(Search - Take 20 looking for any traps on the chest. Disable Device and Open Locks checks as appropriate.)
  #25  
Unread 18th of July, 2006, 07:05
crueldespot's Avatar
crueldespot
Crimson Death [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Member: #136
Location: Louisville
Posts: 1,295 (0.22 per day)
6:5 Identifying and Unlocking

Jiangu! Chapter 4, Scene 6:5 Identifying and Unlocking

With Gizerak’s assistance, Termix identifies the potion as a potent healing formula, and determines that the scroll is for dispelling magic.

Meanwhile, Linus studies the chest diligently. Upon close inspection, he is confident that there are no traps on the lock. He must spend several minutes penetrating the lock. Finally he hears a satisfying click as the latch is released.

The chest is closed but unlocked.



OOC
4,6:5 (1d20=9, 1d20=11, 1d20=20, 1d20=15, 1d20=13, 1d20=9, 1d20=2, 1d20=6, 1d20=12, 1d20=14, 1d20=6, 1d20=16, 1d20=4, 1d20=10, 1d20=15, 1d20=13, 1d20=18, 1d20=9, 1d20=5, 1d20=18)

Gizerak assist 9+mods and 11+mods. Termix ID 20+mods and 15+mods. Both successes.

Potion of cure moderate wounds. Scroll of dispel magic (caster level 5)

Linus rolls: Takes 20.
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 01:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren