Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > The Crossroads

Unread 24th of May, 2016, 14:40
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Btw, what about tabs?

I can put up my character on the weekend. Thing is, I'll be offline for a three-week vacation starting on the 15th of June. That's not so long from now...
Unread 24th of May, 2016, 16:29
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
Offline? Three week vacation? Shouldn't you be taking three weeks off in order to post in here?
Unread 24th of May, 2016, 22:30
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
We should start playing very soon then - as in, this week if at all possible. What happened to Kel?
Unread 24th of May, 2016, 22:44
itches

I think the tabs got her.
Unread 24th of May, 2016, 23:30
Gralhruk

I need a tab that unleashes angry ninjas.
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 03:07
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #15
Hello! I didn't realize how long it had been until I got here and tried to get caught up. Good grief!

So instead of babbling my excuses for being absent I'm going to go back and read everything that's been posted over the last almost a month.
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 03:08
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

But first... what are tabs?
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 03:27
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Itches drops the F bomb a lot.
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 03:39
Gralhruk

If you look at the [brand new] character sheets over in The Stable, you will see that they have a few different tabs of data. Some people feel that tabs should only ever be used to stab me to death rather than to, say, separate information and eliminate the need for lots of page scrolling.
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 05:44
itches

Originally Posted by Kelemyn # Itches drops the F bomb a lot.
The fuck? I like friendship okay? Is it such a big deal if I fucking mention friendship a lot? Friends are fucking great!
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 12:20
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Someone (Gral) said we should start playing soon. How exactly would we do that?

I'll try to play with the character sheet tomorrow if I get a chance.

Itches I'm curious to hear more about the Dragonborn you mentioned in your cosmology post. I came up with Zin's relationship with her dragon sponsor (for lack of a better word) based on what I read about dragons in the MM. And I'm happy with that. But I wouldn't mind expanding on it.

Last edited by Kelemyn; 25th of May, 2016 at 12:29.
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 12:24
Gralhruk

I'm thinking we are all sitting around in the tavern at the crossroads and then something happens .
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 12:33
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

That works for me. :-) But I meant, is there a particular place we should start posting? (It's probably really obvious but I need to have stuff spelled out.)

(You wouldn't believe how long it takes me to write these posts on my phone!)
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 12:41
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Randomly, when my daughter was here (her recent visit being one of the things that kept me away from ORP) she introduced my to geocaching, a hobby she picked up in Germany. Tash, did you ever get into that at all?
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 15:42
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Wow, let's get things moving fast. I'm with you. Starting Friday afternoon, that is. But who knows, maybe I can sneak in some character work stuff this eve.

Crossroads. Tavern. Classy. What did we agree on? No DM or Gral starts?

@Geocaching: I know about it but haven't done it. It's funny when you sometimes see people wandering about searching. I can imagine it's quite fun - especially when there are riddles involved to boot.
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 16:34
itches

Kel is going to Orp from her phone? Lord. You know what's really bad on phones? Tabs.

Dragonborn? I don't have any firm ideas. I'd like the fall of the dwarven kingdom of old to be the result of a war between dwarves and dragons - stripping away concepts of good an evil, just two ancient powerful people who came into conflict.

The Dragonborn were the result of the war. Dragons are awesome and mighty - but they have a distinct weakness when it comes time to walk through small underground tunnels, so they did some ancient dragon magic to some eggs and the Dragonborn were ... well born. Designed to wage war.

But you know how kids are. You turn around twice and all of a sudden they're all grown up and think they're in charge of their own life. So after the war the Dragonborn kinda wondered off and formed their own clannish society, until they hooked up with the half-elves (I hate the term half-elves) helped them build an empire.
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 17:13
itches

SETTINGS

Remember the starting setting from 4th Edition. I always liked it - so let's use it again with adjustment to fit the mythic history already laid out.

In the vale a distant outpost of the Dwarven Empire was put down as Hammerfast.. Not sure what it was, distant reasource post to study the stars? A prison? Whatever it was, with the fall of the Dwarven Empire the location became isloated until the Half-elf Kingdom expanded to include the vale. In the post Half-elf world, Hammerfast is the economic centre of the Vale. Raw materials and food flow toward there, and crafted materials (plows, swords, fryingpans) come back out. I wouldn't mind them having a coal mine there (maybe as part of the original prison), but nothing as big or important as an iron or gold mine. Those materials need to come into the Vale from outside.

What's important about Hammerfast is that while it might be the biggest and most important of the locations, it doesn't rule. It isn't a police force and it doesn't patrol. The vale is still a very dangerous place.

To the north north of Hammerfast, on the shore of the Lake Nen is the fishing village Nenlast. A rarity amounts the established world, it is a halfling villiage, established during the closing days of the Halfelf (Haelf?) Empire, it was the result of some enterprisng halflings deciding to establish a home for and by halflings. Things don't always work out the way they're planned, and while most of the population remain Halfling to this day, it was inevitable that atleast some Bigjobs (Humans, Elves, etc) decided to live there there.

North of Lake Nen is the Winterbole forrest. A forrest that stretches all the way to the north, to where the frozen world can't support trees anymore. Within are a few tribes of semi nomadic elves (wood elves for our purposes), who tend to spend a season in one place before moving onto another. The tribes further north tend to be more isloationist, but the ones to the south are friendly enough and willing to trade with the Shortlives to the south.

Fastormel was a human town that was destroyed during the Hobgoblin invasion a century ago. It was the primary trading point for the northen elves, and it was it's destruction that draw them into the conflict. This would have been where most of the cityelves would have lived. Post destruction they would have migrated to Fallcrest.

The Swordbarrow and Greydowns was where the Hobgoblin invaders were finally defeated, in the greatest battle the Vale had ever seen (honestly not really that big). So great were the casulties that many corpses were left where they fell, and to this day it's possible to someone walking across it to stumble across a stumble across old armour and weapons. Rumour says it's haunted.

To the southeast is Harkenwold. Probably the most prosperous area in Nentir, only really contains a few villiages, but many many spreadout isloated family run Farmholds. It's rare for a farmhold to be more than a day's travel from another ones, but that still leaves a lot of wilderness in between, and the isloation makes them vulerable to bandits.

Fallcrest was the offical captial of Nentir during the Empire, and unoffical captial since. Most of the trade from the south comes up and down the river, from which Fallcrest profits. When the empire withdrew from the area, the original Haelf governer was overthrown by a human solider, and since then the title of Baron of Fallcrest (Prince of Nentir) has passed through a half dozen different family lines. Fallcrest suffered badly during the Hobgoblin invasion, being underseige three months and the lower city falling before they invaders were driven off by relief forces. For all it suffered during the war, the city is recovering well.

Ogrefist hills. An unoffical and wrong name, the Ogrefist hills are the home to many half orc settlements. Each settlement being little more than a fortified family home, young halforcs will either leave the home they were born in to build their own, try to seize control from their parents, or settle for a life under the control of the heads of the family. Trade with the rest of the Vale is vigerous, the halforcs having little interest in the finer elements of cloth weaving or basket making, but beyond that relations remain only semi-civil.

The irony of the situation is while most of the eastern humans think of the half-orcs as a potential threat, the reality is that they do more than any other group to protect the Vale. While small groups of raiding orcs can slip past without any trouble, any large organised army will have to stop to deal with them before they move on. And subdueing dozens of fortressed filled with angry and experiened warriors is a task more than a few Orcish warlords have tried and failed.

Winterhaven is old, after Hammerfast the oldest settlement in the Vale. Originally a Dragonborn military encampent, it later became home to one a Haelf family who governered the area before the establuishment of Fallcrest. Even after the government relocation, a branch of the family remained in control of Winterhaven, and rules it to this day, an unbroken line of Parents of Child that reach back to the dawn of known history. Winterhaven is most well known for having survived almost a year of seige from the Hobgoblin invaders, without a single Hobgoblin that passed over the ancient walls returning alive.

There are also a group of proper nomadic Haelf traders, the decendents of Haelf who feld the chaos to the south when the Empire collapsed. They spend their entire lives, travelling from town to town in massive caravens of wagons and folk, basically keeping trade flowing across it.
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 19:31
itches

Oh, as to the Crossroads Inn? Where the Fiveleagues House is. If we move the path to Harkenwold over a bit, then it really is a crossroads. Not near anything, but on the way to almost everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nentir_vale.jpg (232.2 KB, 6 views)
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 22:06
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I love the map!
Unread 25th of May, 2016, 22:54
Gralhruk

Don't let him fool you - he spent many hours and caused many Bothans to die in order to produce that map.
Unread 26th of May, 2016, 14:51
itches

The map is stolen, but I don't mind taking credit for it.
Unread 26th of May, 2016, 14:52
itches

The map is stolen, but I don't mind taking credit for it.
Unread 26th of May, 2016, 20:49
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I think I remember the map from something, or maybe it's just the place names that are familiar. Anyway I like it because it's simple.
Unread 27th of May, 2016, 03:31
Kelemyn
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Crap. Decided to make a character sheet and right off the bat it didn't go well. Her name is supposed to be Zinnia Wilder but my Kindle autocorrected to Ninja Wilder. And apparently I can't edit the title. Somebody help! I no like.
Unread 27th of May, 2016, 04:10
Gralhruk

Ninja is a pretty cool name though