Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > The Crossroads

Unread 8th of May, 2016, 02:43
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
I'm most probably going to play a human. Possibly half-elf if I like what you come up with. Or we come up with if I'd have any interesting thoughts to share on the subject. None forthcoming atm though.

Italy was great and I've brought the sun with me - yay! Spent most of the time outside in the sunshine and wearing a t-shirt outside for the first time this year.
Unread 8th of May, 2016, 09:01
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
See I came up with a way to tie the "random Tiefling" in. I mentioned that humans turned up right when the ancient elves fought an unknown evil? Well it turns out that while Elves and Dwarves were being all civilised, the primitive humans turned to demon worshipping. So this big horde of humans, demons and semi demons rocked up, the elves went "fuck that" and a war broke out.

The elves own, the demons were gone, and that left humans all over the place. But now pretty much all humans carry some trace of the demonic bloodline, and very rarely when the moon is right, they pop up again.

But hey, let's work with your magic elf idea. Let me suggest some changes, see how this works for you.

The Pure Ones were old, super powerful magical beings. They built great empires and were super great and wonderful and always had perfect teeth. Over time they split up into two factions, Light Ones and Dark Ones. They didn't like each other and wanted to run the Empire in their own way. So they had a massive civil war which no one really understands.

Right around this time the first primitive humans started turning up, and both the Light Ones and the Dark Ones turned to them to use as servants, slaves and soldiers. As a result of the Light Ones meddling we got Half Elves. As a result of the Dark Ones meddling, we got Tieflings.

Now at the end of the war, neither side really won. The Light Ones did much much better and the Dark Ones were almost wiped out. But even in victory the Light Ones lost, with their society cracked apart there were little fragments of their people still hanging around, who only had a fragment of the power of their ancestors.

These fragmented remains were the Elves. None of them even come close to the power of the Pure Ones, but depending on how much they remember depends on whether we get Rivendell Elves or Mirkwood Elves.

This gives a good creation point for the Half Elves. It gives an explanation of how the elves got to where they are now, and lets us tie the Teiflings in there.

Plus it leaves some nice plot hooks. There could in theory be some old Pure Ones, ancient, powerful and immortal hidden away somewhere, sleeping or trying to pull the strings of events from behind the scenes. And it avoids changes to the cosmology,

But it does leave one other problem. If we have a tiefling society, even if it is just a family (like Mafia type "The Family), then we need to define that society.
Unread 10th of May, 2016, 04:23
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
But that isn't really a problem - we don't need to know the specifics right now, eh? I don't think we have any tieflings. For the record, Silas is a half-elf.

I am still messing around with character sheets but they are very close to being usable. I used the standard 5e character sheet at WotC as a guide and I am pretty happy with the way they look. I think they are easy to use and they have a little intelligence built in to help with the math.
Unread 10th of May, 2016, 10:55
itches

Well all of this is pointless, this is an area of the setting that none of the characters would know about.
Unread 11th of May, 2016, 05:19
Gralhruk

I think I might be rubbing off on you.
Unread 11th of May, 2016, 10:12
itches

I had some thoughts about cosmology and how it relates to playing the Divine Powered classes, but I'm far too lazy to write it up.

Also I want to play a Paladin now.
Unread 11th of May, 2016, 14:51
Tashalar

Hm... a paladin monk? Might be possible, too!

... also: Just because none of the characters might know about stuff you're thinking up, that doesn't mean it might not become relevant later on. Alsoalso you guys are having fun with this, so why stop? I'm happy with reading along.
Unread 12th of May, 2016, 03:56
itches

No really a Paladin Monk. Basically I never liked that Paladins were tied into the gods like they were, so I was trying to create a Paladin without that and using the Monk class to do so. Only once I actually read the 5th edition PHB, turns out Paladins don't have that connection anymore.

So ex-crimelord Paladin it is!
Unread 12th of May, 2016, 06:15
itches

COSMOLOGY!

Just trying my hand at messing with this, for class related reasons that will make sense once I start talking about Paladins.

In the planear cosmology the Positive Energy plane is an energy source that comes from
UP, the Negative Energy Plane is the shadow cast to DOWN. On the outer edge are the Outer planes, realms of spirit inhabited by powerful beings like Angels, demons, devil, genies, Margaret Thatcher and other non-human entities.

"Inside" this are the elemental plans, areas of "stuff" like fire, water, earth etc that crash into each other, boil rumble and change. It’s not clear how it started, different theologies change the story from Person X or Group Y bringing everyone together to lead the effort, or many people starting on their own. From it being a unified group job, to everyone falling into conflict as they tried to be the principal designer.

But the short of it is, some of the Outer Plane spirits turned to the Inner Plane stuff and started to mould, carving some order out of the raw materials and creating the world/universe. As these spirits did this (the gods) they put themselves into the work, becoming part of it but also becoming lesser because of it.

The other spirits watched on and grew jealous of what the gods had crafted, but the gods guarded their creation. Within the world there were being, humans, elves, dwarves, Librarians and so on, who came to worship their creators - and with this worship and belief the gods became mighty once more.

So basically, the gods made the material plane, but other outer spirits who didn't want in. The gods are literally a part of the world, not separate and living in sky palaces, but they don't really manifest as walking people very much because the effort of creation drained them - also because that's not what they really are.

Let's talk Classes and start with Clerics.

Clerics are not priests. They're not preachers or religious figures - though they can be if they chose to. There are great churches and temples, organised cults of various gods, but they have nothing to do with Clerics.

Clerics are the chosen instruments of the gods. While it seems that a Cleric will hold forth his hand and release great magic, it isn't his magic. He holds forth his hand and the god's power and will comes forth. At best the cleric is a vessel for that power, a focal point.

What's notable about Clerics is that they are chosen by the gods, they don't get a choice. While they might be happy to receive the blessing to become the servant of the god, they might also be annoyed (I had laundry to do, what the fuck?!) or worse.

Imagine someone who was raised by strict members of the cult of Baballoon the Monkey God. This person is a hard core believer in his Monkey Ways, but then Vivax the Viper God decides she's going to use the person as her vessel and taps him on the shoulder. Kinda awkward right?

WARLOCKS!

That kinda sounds like Warlocks, right? That's correct! The first difference is Warlocks draw their power from beings outside the Material world, spirits who had no part in creation or things from outside the known cosmology all together. The second difference is Warlocks had a choice. Either they found a way to invoke the outer spirits, or they received an invitation, but it only happened because they agreed to it. That's not to say people can't be pressured into making bad decisions.

WIZARDS!

Wizards are a funny lot. They spend a lot of time and effort learning how to trick the world into doing things they want, loop holes and flaws in the laws of the universe that they can use. Either they investigated it themselves and found their own tricks, or they learnt it from someone else. And anyone can become a Wizard, much like anyone can get a Masters Degree in theoretical physics. Some people struggle with the basics, while others find it very easy.

Sorcerers!

These guys don't trick reality into doing what they want. By the power of their birthright they find the same flaws that wizards exploit and force the world to bend to their will. The proto-elf Pure Ones were probably a whole race of Sorcerers

DRUIDS!

Umm, I'm not sure. Druids don't draw their power from the gods. I guess they find the residual bits of power that went into creation and use that - like finding spots of wet paint on a finished painting - drawing not on the Creators but the Creation itself. They're pulled by the Green Mother, Geia, Nature itself. Either the most powerful thing to have ever existed starting to awaken, or the personification of wilderness and not a real thing at all.

BARDS

I love bards. Can you tell? Okay if Druids are playing with the still wet paint of the raw stuff of creation, Bards are picking up the echoes of the act of creation. The last few notes of the music that the gods used to create the world, and are following along, mimicking that. Much like Wizards, anyone can do this. But also like Wizards, this is the same how anyone can play the piano - some struggle while others create great pieces of music.

RANGERS

Fuck rangers. Honestly I don't know. The class isn't very good in 5th edition. They're wilderness folk who can somehow do magic. Anyone have any ideas.

PALADINS

Okay so this is the point of all of this. This is an idea that stuck me as I was reading the phb. Paladins have nothing to do with the gods. Paladins power comes from the great will, dedication and ability coupled with the oaths they swear. Paladins are usually nice good people, but they're not here to hunt down evil and wrong doers. They're defenders of the material realm from outsiders. A paladin doesn't detect evil over the next hill, it detect outsiders or undead over the next hill.

They're not powered by the gods, they are like unto the gods. Part of the material world, depending it and powered by their superhuman dedication and iron clad oaths.

MONKS?

Monks are monks. People who have pushed their bodies, minds and spirits to the limit of what can be done with them.
Unread 16th of May, 2016, 23:24
Gralhruk

I'll give some thoughts later today - work continues to be busy but I've also been kind of focused on character sheets. The good news is that I'm really, really close on them (and I am quite happy with them to boot!). However, I'm having some issues getting them to work on the server that I'm not having locally which makes it kind of hard for me to debug. I've taken some steps to help figure it out so hopefully I'll have it sorted out soon.
Unread 17th of May, 2016, 15:27
itches

I hate them
Unread 17th of May, 2016, 23:05
Gralhruk

That can only mean I'm doing something right.
Unread 18th of May, 2016, 04:13
Tashalar

Looking forward to seeing them. And love and hate are somewhat the same, right? I think itches is just confused.
Unread 18th of May, 2016, 16:43
itches

I have more worldbuilding, but I don't want to flood you guys and just railroad things my way so I'm holding back.
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 12:33
Gralhruk

Okay, I've got a first cut at a sheet - have a look at Yorek in the Stable. Pretty much you just create (or edit) a post with the new tag as below.

[csheet system=dnd5e][/csheet]

Then go back and edit it - it will automatically put in all the fields to fill out. There is a bunch of stuff that will auto calculate. You can quote the Yorek post to see what I actually entered in there. Take a look and let me know how much you hate it.
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 13:26
itches

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 13:40
itches

I can taste blood
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 14:43
itches

everything is going dark
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 14:52
itches

so cold
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 18:09
Gralhruk

Wait, is that good?
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 18:32
itches

It has .... tabs
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 20:32
Gralhruk

Oh, I can make different output formats without a huge amount of hassle. I'll do something old school wall of text in Courier for you when I have a little time. But really, you should just tell me you like it so I spend my time on this game rather than coding.
Unread 20th of May, 2016, 22:27
Tashalar

I like it.

itches, tell Gral you like it. *nod*
Unread 24th of May, 2016, 08:18
Gralhruk

I feel the hate.
Unread 24th of May, 2016, 09:44