Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 1st of May, 2013, 23:27
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
You don't count, you're not a real person.
Unread 2nd of May, 2013, 00:14
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

Member: #13
Being a figment of your imagination is a rather disturbing thought.
Unread 2nd of May, 2013, 13:22
itches

Don't call yourself a disturbing thought, that's just mean
Unread 3rd of May, 2013, 20:23
itches

Which links to this

Make sense?
Unread 24th of May, 2013, 00:13
itches

This is badly written. Read it and find out why.

Explosion! Fire! And then, The ColdIt's winter here in Australia, a time when the temperature drops to what most people in the UK would consider summer and us Australian close our windows and get out our heater. I use a fan heater I picked up a few years ago for a decent price, and it's served me well, heating up my tiny apartment quickly with little fuss. Last winter it started to break down, the fan element running fine but the heating thing would randomly turn off. When winter came around this year and I pulled out, the problem seemed to have fixed itself, so life carried on like normal.

I came home from work today, pulled the heater out and set it to run while I got dinner ready. I don't actually like having the fan pointed at me, so I aimed it at the other side of the room and didn't think too much more about it. Some time later I noticed that I was smelling something burning, and when I checked on my heater I realised that while it was generating a lot of heat, the fan part wasn't working.

Picking it up (it's a tiny little thing with a handle) I turned it off and thought about it for a moment, before deciding to try turning it back on to just the fan setting. I rationalised that I didn't want the heating element to run without the heat being given a chance to escape and risk something burning out, but if turning it on to just the fan got that part of it to reset, I could go back to running it like normal. It was a good plan, it was a safe plan.

I picked up the heater with one hand, held it about a foot away from my face and reach out the my second hand to turn it on. My hand touched the on switch, my hand flipped it over and then the heater EXPLODED!

There was a massive CRACK, a flash of light and the massive scent of smoke spilling across the room. I stood stock still in the aftermath and mentally ran through a check-list. Yes, something did in fact explode. Yes, it was right next to my face when it did so. No, I didn't seem to be injured. It was at that stage that I noticed the room was oddly quiet and I noticed that my computer was turned off. I stared at it in bemusement, unable to understand, it had been on a moment ago, how did it get turned off? I then noticed that my modem, plugged in on the other side of the room was also off.

My power had gone out! It had been raining all day, but it wasn't windy or storming, so a power outtage was rather unusual. Then as my thoughts finally kicked back into gear I realised the safety switch for that power circuit must have been tripped and (once I made sure the heater was unplugged and place far away from everything) checking the powerboard did in fact show that.

I wasn't in any real danger there, it was just unexpected having something explode in your face. I got everything running again and made a note to go buy a new heater this weekend. As luck would have it, I actually had a second heater sitting around that I never got rid of. It was an ancient oil heater that I'd upgraded from because it wasn't very good at heating things, and had a tendency to turn itself off if it wasn't placed on the ground just right.

I dug it out, set it up, and turned it on. It was temperamental, and not very good at warming my place up, but it was better than nothing and only had to be used for a couple of nights. I had it set up and running for an hour or so, and while it was taking the edge off the chill in the air, it wasn't doing much else, so I decided to move it closer to where I was sitting.

Picking it up (again, this was a small heater with a handle) I put it down next to my chair, heard a fizzing noise and saw something that looked like fire under the heater. "That's odd," I thought. "Why does it look like my carpet is on fire? ... MY CARPET IS ON FIRE!" Being a smart cookie, I realised that fire was bad. Fire in an enclosed space, on a carpet, underneath a heater being a particular egregious example of it. Thinking quickly I grabbed the heater and moved it off to the side, putting it down and turned back, only to find that the fire was gone. Relieved, I looked at my heater and saw that once again, the carpet under my heater was on fire.

At this point I made the connection, my heater was setting the carpet on fire. My OIL HEATER was setting the carpet on fire. This was bad. I rushed to where it was plugged into the wall, trying to remember if I had actually purchased that fire extinguisher I'd been looking at or not, when once again the power went out.

As luck would have it, this also put the fire out, so once I had the dammed thing unplugged I very carefully moved it away from where it had been and observed it until it had cooled down and I was sure it wasn't going to explode. The carpet made it through pretty well, some minor scorch marks, and the thing isn't leaking oil, the fire was caused my some loose wires, so it could have been much worse. Considering it had been next to my feet at the time, it could have been so much worse.

So, one night, two heaters, an explosion, some fire, and then the Cold. I have no more heaters to run, but at this stage, with the run I've had, that might be a good thing. Come Saturday I'm heading to the shops to buy the safest fucking heater I can find.

And as it turns out, a fire extinguisher.
Unread 29th of June, 2013, 23:27
itches

My family want me to get diabeties for my birthday.
Unread 2nd of July, 2013, 06:45
itches

Apparently there will be some delays on the train. I don't see the problem myself, just get some speed up and jump it.

Unread 4th of July, 2013, 11:36
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Quite the little landslide there. Jeez.
Unread 10th of August, 2013, 00:19
itches

I went digging through my stuff just now and found a bunch of sketches I did when I was pretending I could draw. Now you get to see them!

I added a purple filter to it before I uploaded, because I can.

This one with no colour filter, and just making it darker so you can actually see the lines. Also, sad.

This is me trying to draw someone. I'm so bad at it that it looks like an original character - that's the secret?

This friendly young thing was used as the picture of an NPC in my last face-to-face roleplaying game. Doesn't she look trustworthy?

And umm, this one. Going to stick it behind a spoiler tag because technically not safe for work.
Unread 21st of August, 2013, 21:29
itches

The Passing of Midnight: The Tale of A Skyrim HorseI was unsure about buying my first horse in Skyrim. I could afford it - but only just - and I really wanted to save up for a house so I could stash my gear somewhere, being homeless was starting to take it's toll on me. But the horse? Her coat was as dark as the night sky, her eyes as warm as a campfire, her muscles shifted under her skin with barely contained power. She was beautiful and I couldn't resist.

I called her Midnight and we were the best of friends. We went everywhere together and had many adventures that ranged from epic, to hilarious, to heart breaking. Through all of this I was always careful, whenever I went anywhere that seemed like it might be more dangerous than normal I would always walk her back to a quiet spot away from where I expected the action to take place.

One day I stumbled across a fortress housing an evil cult that I decided to investigate. I left Midnight in a sheltered part of the nearby woods and went sneaking in, slipping past the cultists without any of them being the wiser to my presence. Everything was going fine, in fact better than these things normally did, when I suddenly I heard a terrifying sound. A horse was screaming. I looked up at the rocks above the broken down fortress and my heart stopped. Midnight was there, rearing up over an evil mage as he shot evil jets of evil flame at her.

I don't know why she didn't stay in the woods, or why she came into the evil cultist's evil fortress. Maybe she got turned around and just happened across it while grazing? Maybe she got worried by the length of my absence and decided to come looking? I'll never know.

At this point I had no decent ranged abilities, I was a terrible archer and an even worse mage, so I sprinted towards them as fast as my legs would carry me. But no matter how fast I moved it didn't seem fast enough, each step came slower than the one before it, the sound of Midnight's screams echoing in the air as wave after wave of flame engulfed her.

I was almost there, just outside sword range, another quarter second, another half a step when the screams stopped. I watched, too late, too helpless to be able to do anything as she died.

Sometimes at night, when I close my eyes, and in the moments before I fall into sleep, I can still hear her.
Unread 30th of August, 2013, 00:09
itches

Normal: And A Poodle!

A complete line of And A Poodle! giftcards for every occasion will be soon be available in the store.
Unread 18th of September, 2013, 12:59
itches

Because I like spreadsheets. My MassEffect characters!

Unread 18th of September, 2013, 13:38
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Yes you are awesome.
Unread 18th of September, 2013, 19:53
itches

God I hope that's how you actually spell awesome.
Unread 15th of October, 2013, 19:05
itches

Based on a True Story
Unread 20th of October, 2013, 23:32
itches

I can't remember if I've posted this before. It's an abandoned piece of fiction that was originally meant to be the origin story of two of my characters, and kinda turned into a weird pseduo horror thing. There was meant to be a third scene after it, but because of the changes I didn't know where to take it.

Going back to read it now, it's not half bad as a short stand alone thing. So posting it goes. I kinda want to draw illustrations for it, but hell if I can do that.

Dark Fae

I sat at the bar of a nameless cub, one unremarkable and interchangeable with any of the thousands of others that have existed throughout time, except for one essential feature – me.

A mirror ran across the wall and I idly watched myself in it against the faceless backdrop of humanity around me, the perfect predator hidden amongst hapless pray. After a moment I flexed my power and the bartender responded with fogged gaze, bringing me a glass of liquor. The contests held no interest, merely being the final piece of the disguise I had crafted. I toyed with the amber fluid and returned my attention to the mirror and the study of my current form.

Male, if I was any judge of these things, short dark hair with whiskers that itched irritatingly against my face. I had chosen it for its build, muscles rolling pleasingly under the thin shirt as I shifted my weight. The previous owner had gone to some considerable length to develop them, and the effort was appreciated.

Some minutes later my hunting bore fruit, someone slid onto the bar-stool beside mine and ordered a drink. I shifted my gaze onto their reflection and became perplexed. It was a woman, if all of the flesh shown by the green and black dress any indication, but the hair had been shorn short and was a vivid green. Did humans have green hair? Uncertain and intrigued, I turned to examine her directly. She returned my look with feigned disinterest and raised an eyebrow decorated with rings. Across her face a dozen more metallic rings and studs were adorned. This was a area that was less uncertain, mutilation – self inflicted and otherwise – was something I was intimately familiar with.

I smiled at her, all teeth, and sent my power forth to swirl about us, cutting off the rest of the room behind a muted haze of disinterested.

“You don't want that,” I said, eyes flicking to the unfamiliar drink she was holding.

“What?”

“You don't want that.” The bartender stepped through the barrier into the sanctum of my power, placed a bottle and pair of glasses in front of her, then stepped back out, all without seeming to notice us. I noted with some amusement that the liquid was green.

“What's this?” She asked, eyeing the drink.

“Better,” I said, my smile widening enough to momentarily reveal my eye-teeth.

“Absinthe?” She asked, picking up the bottle to examine. I stayed silent, shrugging and watching for her reaction. “No offence, but you don't seem the type.”

“None taken. If I can tell you a secret, this is just a disguise.”

“Really.”

“Yes. The truth of the matter is that I'm not even human,” I said, plucking at the yellow shirt I wore and easing a tendril of power into her. “I killed this individual and have been wearing his body ever since. And to be honest, I'm a little offended that you thought I would actually own a shirt this colour.”

“Like Hannibal Lecter?” She asked, pouring the drink – Absinthe? Hannibal Lecter? - into the glasses, giving me an amused smile. I felt the stirrings of hope and interest for the first time in the encounter.

“Almost. Sexier. Scarier.” She laughed at that.

“Why would I agree to have a drink with a scarier version of Hannibal Lecter? Even if he's also a sexier one.”

“What makes you think you can't?” I took the glass from her hand, raising it to take a swallow of the contents. The taste was indifferent.

“What the fuck?” She spat, looking down at the glass in her own hand, radiating shock as she realised that she had poured it unaware.

“Sexier,” I replied. “Scarier.”

She put the glass down on the bar with a shaking hand and I strengthened the barrier around us, worried that the fear might penetrate it. Reaching across in front of her, I tipped the glass on its side, spilling the drink out to drip down onto the floor.

“What are – what is going on?” I could feel her struggling against my influence within her mind.

“Well I was sitting here minding my own business when someone came and sat down beside me.” I shifted my power within her mind and she ran a finger through the spilt drink, bringing it half way to her lips before she regained control and slammed her hand down. “Still, I shouldn't blame you. It was a trap. A very special trap for someone strong minded enough to see me, but too stupid to see past the very obvious disguise I'm wearing.”

“What are you?” Her breath was coming fast and shallow now, both from her panic and her attempts to break free of my power. I could have stopped either, but didn't. They amused me.

“Sexy. Scary.”

“What do you want?”

“A better question.” I said, gracing her with a smile. “Right now I just want you to understand the situation. That I could could break you as easily as this.” The empty glass shattered with a loud crack, crumbling into fragments at my silent, unmoving command. “But I have not.”

“Are you going to kill me?” She was starting to calm down, no longer struggling directly against my influence.

“Do you wane me to?” I leered.

“No.”

“Beg it of me.”

“Are you going to make me?”

“Do you want me to?” She went silent for a moment and I could almost feel her mind take shape around an idea.

“I could scream.” That caught my attention. She might be able to get a scream off before I could exert control, and it would break through the barrier of disinterest around us, attracting all sorts of unwanted attention. My options at that point would be limited. I withdrew the tendrils of power influencing her behaviour and cocked an eyebrow.

“Well. Go on then.”

She brought a hand up to touch her throat, holding it there, watching me until she responded.

“You won't – you'll let me go?”

“Do you want me to?” I leered again.

“Maybe.”

“Beg it of me.”

The encounter was balanced of the fine point of a knife's edge, I could sense it teeter but not which way it would fall. The uncertain anticipation thrilled me.

“What did you do to the room?” She asked.

“Perception field,” I shrugged. “All around us, they know we're here but can't bring themselves to notice us. Same with you and them.”

“But I can see them.”

“Can you, really? Pick one out, describe them to me.”

“I, uh.” I felt her attention brush against my power, but was turned away with ease. “Shit. What are you.”

“Ancient. Scary. Sexy. Powerful, and still waiting.”

“Why haven't you just made me?” she verbally evaded answering, but I felt the decision as she made it, and my interest swiftly faded. She had potential, but seemed it was not to be.

“Because I don't want it that way.”

“Well,” she pursed her lips, eyeing me in with a semi-anxious, contemplative anticipation. “What happens if I want to stay?”

Me,” I responded with menace veiled beyond her ability to detect.

--------------------------------

Somewhere in the distance, the heartbeat of music thrummed. I stood on a plain of flesh that throbbed in time to the beat. Lights flashed secret codes into the sky and in the midst of it, I - I struggled to regain my equilibrium.

I was still in the same nameless club, standing on the dance floor surrounded by clueless prey, but within a new form. My previous body was hidden in the cleaning supply room I had lured the woman into, and the energy from her soul as I leached it away within her form filled me with a deliciously intoxicated sensation.

Her soul filled me, surging through my veins as I consumed it. It flowed from breasts to arms, to feet, to face and the world waved and changed as the power leaked out. My perceptions flicked and danced of their own violation and the highest of highs played out across my many impossible senses.

I walked through the flesh, or did I stand and wait as it pulsed past, drawing me in with disjointed moments, disconnected fragments of time? I danced, an uninhibited exploration my new body, feeling the tug of hidden piercings within the clothing, the sensation of strange youthful limbs and flowing supple form. I danced with the abandon of the powerful, on the energy of a stolen soul, to the compounded music of lives crashing about me, to the musical strains of flesh, to the bloody scent of food.

I extended my power wide through the crowd, caressing all around me, flexing to control the Meat like puppets, playing them like a god. Bodies came near - sacrifices to my dark power - that I reached out and touched, leaving them reduced by whim and desire. Destinies changed, fates stolen, I osculated against the twisting masses at random, brushing across the nameless life, each as unimportant and insignificant as the last. Until I saw her.

Across the floor a lone figure stood, still against the backdrop of meaningless humanity. Female, blond, unremarkable and watching me. I twisted my head, green hair falling across my face, and met her gaze across the crowded room. In my heightened, post-feeding state, she should not have been able to see past my will, and yet she watched me.

I smiled my malevolence, metal studs pulling the skin in strange directions, and felt a fear-flicker burn through the smell of the crowd. She could see me, past the illusion I wore, stripping away veils of influence, to the lie within. A thrill of excitement rose at the realisation, an escaping sigh through parted lips. Another quarry, and so soon after the last.

With a moaning shudder of anticipation I twisted my power, focusing it, weaving it about to bind her, then drawing myself along it's trail towards her. I floated upon waves of longing, heels sliding across a slick floor, watching as ardour and horror formed an unholy communion in her at my slow, breathless, inevitable approach. I solidified my power and stroked the crowd between us, moving people aside one after another, leaving the shadow of ruin in their wake, until the pathway was clear.

Looking at her, there was little to mark her apart from the rest of the mas of people. Dirty blond hair with a ragged fringe, a dress that could only be described as pink, make-up conspicuous by its scarcity. The only remarkable thing about her was her eyes, filled with my reflection. I moved until I was close enough to feel her unsteady breath on my face, and with a flick of effort cut off the writhing crowd around us.

“What are you?” the blond girl asked. She could see my mask for what it was, but not the hidden truth beneath it. She saw enough to fear, but not so much to flee. The balance was delicious in it's precarious delicacy.

“Do you want me to kill you?” I arched and stretched my new body, sliding silken limbs until she was enveloped yet untouched, then roughly thrust my power into her, holding her immobile and stopping any attempt to run before it began. Her eyes - enchanting eyes sparkling my echo - widened with shock, but she refused to speak.

“Oh,” I continued, leaning in to breath the words in her ear, my lips and tongue just shy of quivering flesh. “Do you want me to let you live?” A narcotic, perfumed fear clung to her, but still she didn't respond.

“My oh my,” I laughed stepping back to study her, each sound a priceless crystal shard shattering. “Is that it?” I asked, my voice dropping low and sultry. I dragged long, fresh and green nails across my body with tortuous slowness, from throat to thigh, over flesh and cloth both. Her eyes followed the movement. “Do you want me?

For a moment, gone almost before it was there, the outline of a smile touched the edges of her mouth and I felt, deep within her mind, the seed of a decision. I leered, as her eyes rose to meet mine, a mirror of exposed hunger and pain.

“Well then.” It was a promising start.
Unread 29th of October, 2013, 23:08
itches

I'm Thinking of Buying a Surface Pro 2Actually, I was thinking about getting a Kindle. I do almost all of my reading while I'm on the train to-and-from work, and that means I can't read ebooks. Sometimes I'd feel like I'd quite like to read an ebook, there are books I'm interested in that I know I'd only read once and don't want them cluttering up my bookshelf afterwards. This goes without mentioning some of those books which are ebook only - when is Finster Effect going to come out on paperback?

So it seems like the kindle is a good place to start, and at $89 it's dirt cheap even with shipping. The problem is that as roleplayer, I also want to read RPG rulebooks which means I need to be able to read PDFs. The bottom of the range kindle isn't great at that, so I'd have to look at something higher up like the Kindle Fire.

The inevitable question at this stage is, if I'm looking at a Kindle Fire, why not just buy the bullet and get an iPad? I mean Knights of the Old Republic has an iPad app and I quite like that game. The main problem with the iPad is that I don't like Apple products. I find that frustrating and the complete opposite of user friendly. The iPad is a throwback to the era of the one-button-mouse mac, using the cursor as an extension of your hand vs the multi-button-mouse using the cursor as an extensionn of your mind. It's like trying to make controlling a car be as similar to walking as possible – dumb and doomed to fail. The one button mouse solution failed before, and despite Apple's attempts to return to it with the iPad, it's going to fail again.

I'm drifting off topic here, the gist of it was that I find the iPad irritating and enjoy right clicking. The real point was the Knights of the Old Republic reference, I'm now thinking about adding the ability to run games to this device and most games I want won't run on an iPad.

My home PC doesn't … well really have a video card, so there are a lot of games that I'd like to play, but can't. If I'm after something that is portable, can run (and has access to) games, and has an interface that won't drive me crazy, it might be time to invest in a decent laptop.

But a laptop doesn't feel right, remember back at the beginning where I was talking about using it on a train? Well I've seen people try to use laptops on trains and it is awkward. Most of them make it work, but honestly I'd rather just read a paperback then mess around with a laptop wall of text.

So I want something that is both a laptop AND a tablet. The solution to that seems pretty obvious, the Microsoft Surface Pro. It will work as a tablet well enough for what I need, and I've heard it can handle gaming pretty well – at least well enough for my purposes as I'm looking to play older good games on it.

The major downside is the battery life is a bit limited, but the Surface Pro 2 just came which improved that, so if I'm going in that direction I might as well go all the way. I'd want one with decent storage, I'd also need a Type-Cover-Keyboard thing, and hell a mouse too for all that right-clicking I enjoy.

I'm feeling pretty good about this, it does pretty much exactly what I want and some more, and it will only cost me … ONE THOUSAND, SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Fuck me that is a fuckton of fucking money!

You know, thinking about it, the Kindle is only $89, which is dirt cheap even with shipping.
Unread 30th of October, 2013, 02:32
Gralhruk

Viewing PDFs on the regular Kindle is mildly painful but it's definitely doable, and you kind of get used to it. Granted, since I got the Fire I don't use my old Kindle for PDF viewing, but I honestly still prefer it for regular e-books. That eInk is good stuff.
Unread 30th of October, 2013, 06:21
itches

"You get used to it" is hardly a resounding endorsement.
Unread 30th of October, 2013, 06:41
Gralhruk

I could lie to you if you would prefer.
Unread 30th of October, 2013, 06:50
Gralhruk

Oh, and I hear some sort of new Kindle is coming out in a few weeks, which might drive the price of the Fire down a bit. Be warned, though - the battery life on the Fire is pretty terrible. The regular Kindle on the other hand lasts for weeks without charging.
Unread 30th of October, 2013, 10:11
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
I've had both a Nook and a Kindle. PDFs on either are kind of shit. They're not as bad on the Fire or Nook HD, but like Gral said, regular books are better on the E-ink platforms. Nook isn't an option outside of the US, or else I'd rate it higher.

Really, I'm just echoing Gral, here.
Unread 30th of October, 2013, 20:40
itches

Yeah, from everything I've read and heard in order to read PDFs I'd need a tablet, and well if I'm getting a tablet ...
Unread 18th of November, 2013, 22:33
itches

Well that didn't work. Gotta stop mixing styles.

Unread 18th of November, 2013, 23:43
itches

It isn't working as well as I'd hoped, so I'll have to play with it. It's terrible against a black background too.

Edit: Or something like this.