Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 25th of December, 2011, 14:42
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #1510
The Obligatory Christmas Thread

So what did you get for Christmas?!

This is the whole purpose of this thread. I suppose if you celebrate another holiday I'm also curious. Like if your a druid and celebrate the winter solstice and recieved some kind of present that you would like to share with the interwebs its cool to do that here too. Alternatively, feel free to post some cool geeky gifts you got for someone else.

Also, I don't really care if you got new underwear. I mean, I suppose if they are really cool underwear but I can't imagine what that would be (and don't really want to). Lets keep the gifts close to in theme with the site here.

Of course, as I post this I don't know what I have got yet. So expect me to repost saying what cool presents I got too.

That being said, happy Christmahannakwanzadan and a merry festivus to you all! I hope your holidays are pleasent and full of cheer.
Unread 25th of December, 2011, 21:09
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
I'm currently in Japan!

I got
The New Weird and Kaiki: Uncanny Tales From Japan from my uncle, which look like anthologies of "weird" fiction (stuff like HP Lovecraft), which he knows I like.
A care package from my mother and grandmother, which hasn't arrived yet but I know it'll have some cookies and a few clothes I can't find here and stuff.
And then I bought myself a new mouse and a bunch of videogames since Steam's having their sale (just played a bunch of Saints Row 3, also got Rage among others).

Nothing else, wasn't expecting anything though.
Unread 25th of December, 2011, 21:19
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
I got a set of tools. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that my family thought it would be a good gift for me, or the fact that they were right and I was pleased by it. Also my brother got me a bucket of Maltesers, in a deliberate attempt to make me sick.
Unread 25th of December, 2011, 21:29
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

little z: Steam sale, eh? I keep considering that I need to consider Steam but keep forgetting/being to distracted by other games to do so.

Also, I thought it might be funny if you got an American mail order bride. She would be all exotic to everyone in Japan ...except you.

itches: Heh, thats funny in a "haha, his family hates him sorta way" for everyone ...except you. Erm, sorry. Enjoy your tools. Perhaps this should further convince you to splurg on yourself.
Unread 25th of December, 2011, 21:54
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Don't get Steam. I've spent way too much money on games I've never played because of sales.
Also Americans are surprisingly unexotic here.

itches, what kind of tools? Special tools?
Unread 25th of December, 2011, 22:03
itches

Hammer, many different screwdrivers, a thingy you use to turn nuts. I don't know what they're called, but normal shit.

Perhaps this should further convince you to splurg on yourself.
I did spent like, 300 bucks on DVDs for myself. Does that count?
Unread 25th of December, 2011, 23:04
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
Let's see here, I got myself a few games, got this: http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Geeks-.../dp/0596805888, a fluttershy plushie that I won in a holiday raffle, a watch from my wife (the Movado Faceto, it's gorgeous), The Princess Bride 20th Anniversary collector's edition gift set, and a ton of food.

We don't even celebrate any holiday in particular, we just celebrate 'the holidays'.
Unread 25th of December, 2011, 23:42
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Christmas is pretty light this year because of the shitty economy, but we still did okay.

I got myself a few movies and CDs (back when Borders was going out of business). In-laws and my wife got me some gift cards, some Wii points, and some new home-made boxers.

I got my wife a new purse and a new watch, and the kids got some dolls, a toy sewing machine (that actually sews) and some other random assorted toys.

EDIT - Now that second Christmas* is over -- I got Gamma World, the Pathfinder Core Book, Shadowrun 4th Edition, Zelda: Skyward Sword, and CoD: Black Ops (for Wii).

*Parents, aunts/uncles, cousins, in-laws, etc.

Last edited by Mercutio; 26th of December, 2011 at 13:55.
Unread 26th of December, 2011, 15:11
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
My present from the roommate isn't here yet; she didn't have cash 'til two days ago. I however, got her art from a favorite artist from our WoW server (check her stuff out!). I apparently am missing a card from my parents, but got a card and surprise check from my aunt. The upstairs housemates got us PJs (these are seriously the comfiest lounging pants I've ever had), and some bookplates and bookmarks for me; nothing fancy or expensive, but really sweet of them.

We spent today baking cookies and having dinner with the upstairs housemates and some single soldier pals of theirs. Then we watched the Doctor Who Christmas Special and now Firefly is on. I count this as a good holiday.
Unread 28th of December, 2011, 01:18
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

In case anyone was wondering, Skyward Sword is awesome. Easily the best Wii game I've played.
Unread 28th of December, 2011, 05:17
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Member: #1798
Location: North And East, But Not Far Enough East to be French.
Star Ward Lunch Box with Tie Bomber and Millennium Falcon sandwich (or cookie) cutters.
Unread 30th of December, 2011, 20:40
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Ok, so I'm not going to remember an exhaustive list of what I got. What I do want to say is that it is truly a blessing to have a son with similar interests around the holidays. I couldn't help but look through his xmas list and think "Damn, this kid has good taste." Most of the things on his list could have easily made it onto mine. Awesomesauce!

So I will tell you what we got. Oh, and as I'm not sitting in front of my stuff I am going to likely edit this list later.

Captain America movie
Thor movie (can't remember which of us got which but it doesn't really matter)
A random pile of M:TG cards that my mom got off an ebay auction. Turns out it was a pretty nice lot of 4th edition and earlier cards which is nice as many of them are out of print. She got it all at a killer price too.
Pathfinder Advanced Player's guide. - this one mostly due to suggestions from you all here. Also, I'm likely going to be using much material listed therein soon. My son likely is as well.
A DDO gift card for 750 points. Not sure what I'm going to use that for yet. I was thinking Giant Hold. Any suggestions?
An awesome WoW calander.
One of these. Its not that it doesn't do anything. It that it does nothing.
A new ginsu knife set. We badly needed this.
We got Julian a folding papasan chair. He loves it.
He got Mario and Luigi's inside story for the DS. I haven't seen it. He said he likes it.
He got a thingy that projects pictures of the universe onto his ceiling and has a voice recording telling him about what it is displaying. He is really into the cosmos so this is right up his alley.
2 pair of comfy PJ pants. (aren't they great, Lyn? )
Can't remember what else right now...will post more later.

The greatest gift though (sarcasm) was that I got my credit card info stolen and while the money ($300 spent at Meijer in Mesa, AZ?) was all reimbursed it still fucked up our finances for a time right near Xmas and I had to cut up my credit card as a new one was issued. No idea how that even happened as I hadn't even bought anything with it. I was just using it for paying our normal bills.

Then Kim was trying to use her card at an ATM and accidentally entered the wrong code. She noticed this while she was doing it and hit cancel but apparently it was too late for that. The machine ate her card.

Then on the way back home from my mom's place up north my car's hood decided it wanted to open while I was going 70mpg down the express way. The resulting smack of the hood hitting the windshield scared the shit out of us and spider webbed the car window. Hood is dented too. No idea what caused it to decide to do this. Great expense for us to have at a bad time.

All in all a pretty typical Lune family holiday. Ugh... At least no permanent damage to anything vital was done.
Unread 31st of December, 2011, 06:24
SinbadEV
Bodak [GM]

Member: #1798
Location: North And East, But Not Far Enough East to be French.
At least no permanent damage to anything vital was done.
Sounds like a successful holiday, I got a nasty case of pink eye in my left eye and had to put drops in it for 3 days (all better now).
Unread 31st of December, 2011, 13:52
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I thought I had pink eye a couple weeks ago. It would have been the first time I got it in my life. Although now I think it may have been an alergic reaction to Clorox lavender wipes. It would also be the first time I have ever had an allergic reaction to anything but it seems more likely as for some reason it seems that particular scent (the regular ones don't bother me) irritates my eyes.
Unread 31st of December, 2011, 14:49
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Oh, another thing I got that I haven't tried yet. Hobgoblin ale.
Unread 31st of December, 2011, 15:15
itches

Originally Posted by Lune # The greatest gift though (sarcasm) was that I got my credit card info stolen and while the money ($300 spent at Meijer in Mesa, AZ?) was all reimbursed it still fucked up our finances for a time right near Xmas and I had to cut up my credit card as a new one was issued. No idea how that even happened as I hadn't even bought anything with it. I was just using it for paying our normal bills.

Then Kim was trying to use her card at an ATM and accidentally entered the wrong code. She noticed this while she was doing it and hit cancel but apparently it was too late for that. The machine ate her card.

Then on the way back home from my mom's place up north my car's hood decided it wanted to open while I was going 70mpg down the express way. The resulting smack of the hood hitting the windshield scared the shit out of us and spider webbed the car window. Hood is dented too. No idea what caused it to decide to do this. Great expense for us to have at a bad time.
Originally Posted by SinbadEV # Sounds like a successful holiday, I got a nasty case of pink eye in my left eye and had to put drops in it for 3 days (all better now).
I suddenly feel bad for complaining about my self inflicted, chocolate induced nausea.
Unread 31st of December, 2011, 15:41
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Those things sound pretty lame.

My Christmas gift to myself has been that I haven't left the block in a week (not quite pro enough to have not left the apartment in a week). Also I haven't gotten any of the things I was going to get done done.
So ridiculously lazy.
Unread 31st of December, 2011, 15:59
Lune
Famine Spirit [Epic]

I count that as a win, z! lol
Unread 25th of December, 2012, 08:15
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Figured I'd necro this thread rather than create a new one.

My wife will be getting a new Nook HD tablet, and each of my kids is getting a new game system: a 3DS for the older and a Leappad for the younger. Me? I think I'm getting some Teaching Company lectures to listen to on my commute.
Unread 25th of December, 2012, 15:50
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

I splurged on an iPod touch. Typing on it right now. Woop woop.
Unread 26th of December, 2012, 01:58
Jackelope King
Ghoul

Member: #1487
A 1TB HDD for the rig I built back in March. She needs an upgrade from 250GB. My sister also got me a very giant Serenity poster with the namesake ship in silhouette and Mal's description of a ship to River at the end of the film.

My dad made out like a bandit, and got the entire Bond collection on DVD up to and including Quantum of Solace.
Unread 26th of December, 2012, 02:04
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Also, we got new smartphones (our first ones) for pretty much free (we were three years overdue for upgrades). I got a Razor M and my wife got a Razor.
Unread 26th of December, 2012, 23:34
hedgeknight
Sucka of da Java [GM]

Member: #1690
Our son cleaned up in the Lego department - scored five sets from the Hobbit, LotR, and Harry Potter. Plus a new Wii game (Lego Batman), and a book or two.
The wife and I got some gift cards and some cold hard cash from my parents, lots of chocolate and baked goods from family and friends.
And I got a nice Peyton Manning Broncos jersey!

My birthday is tomorrow, so I'm hoping for a Blu-Ray player and a movie or two to go with it. Plus, with the cash I got, I now have enough to buy a really nice guitar...or a new laptop. Leaning toward the guitar.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Unread 28th of December, 2012, 05:01
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
As I just graduated and came home after trying to trim my stuff down to fit into the back of a Durango, I mostly got money as combined graduation/Christmas presents.

I did unexpectedly get a copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Steam from some of my WoW guildies, though. That was kinda nifty.
Unread 28th of December, 2012, 06:50
itches

I got an hollow black ceramic skull. I'm not sure what my family were trying to tell me.
I got a microwavable jug. For microwaving.
I got The Imperial Infantryman's Handbook. In case I find myself in the year 40k.
I got Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story. And I feel shame!
I got Angry Birds! The board game?

I also got a lot of mead. Because I like mead.

My nephew got a the first book of Avatar: The Last Airbender and my niece got the first season of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Plus money. And a box of chocolate bigger than their head.