Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > BigRedRod's Games > City of the Dead > Vodalian Special Forces

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 25th of September, 2002, 03:55
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.94 per day)
Arrow Chapter 5 : Clueless

Amra , Eberc, three people you don't know, Xaemar and yourselves are sat around the circular table
The man who led you in speaks,
"You are a man missing, where is Charir?"

[ooc: Now thats a short start of a chapter]
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #2  
Unread 25th of September, 2002, 04:31
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.30 per day)
"Ah, he's resting comfortably in Seran," says a now subdued Collin. "During a confrontation with hostile forces, a hulking beast of an orc managed to greviously wound Charir. By the time I could get to his side, he was gone. There was nothing in my healing powers that I could do to restore him to life."

Collin takes a keen interest at an invisible speck of dirt at the edge of the table. "We had his body buried in Seran. It was better than carrying it down here into the desert. The mission priorities also indicated that we should continue and complete it as quick as possible."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #3  
Unread 25th of September, 2002, 04:50
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.94 per day)
The man looks down,
"That is indeed sad news. Still the past is behind us, no good can come from dwelling on such news"
After a moment of silence the man raises his head once more, he is not a tall man, he wears a smart officers uniform that looks odd when combined with his unkept hair. He is somewhere in his middle years and has a large scar from his neck up to level with the top of his ear
"To start with I will introduce myself and my staff. I am Sub-Commander Edgley, you probably didn't notice me at the introductory meeting back in Vodalia, I co-ordinate the efforts of the special forces here in Dauthim. On my left is Azure."
He lifts an arm towards a short stumpy rather unattractive human young women who smiles briefly
"She is in charge of analysis of information gathered by the team working down here. Thanks to her outstanding work we have extensive information on troop locations and similar facts essential to a successful, clean invasion of Dauthim. And on my right is Grozn, or "Big Groz" as you may here him referred to out there."
The man to his right is half-orchish and indeed very large, at the moment he looks rather happy though.
"Grozn here, does a wonderful job in providing funds for our operation, nothing too grand just a little bit here and there on top of the "Gentlemen's Society", which he runs. You would be suprised how profitable gambling can be in a country where it is outlawed. I believer you have briefly already met Eberc, Amra and of course Xaemar."

Edgley grins widely,
"My relief at the safe and willing return of Xaemar is hard to put into words. You will of course be rewarded, but we can come to that later."
He looks at Xaemar for a moment
"As glad I am that you decided to re-join us, I am dissapointed that you took off, I will expect an explanation later, and we can discuss your return to duty"
Xaemar lowers his head slightly,
"Yes, It's a move I am regretting more with each passing minute"

"Again, it is not something we should dwell on. What do you think of our little set-up here? It's no academy but it gets the job done and it's unlikely we will be stumbled across. It was built several years ago by a Merchant I'm told, a Vodalian of course, I'm not too sure on the details but I'm assured that we can't be sold out by whoever constructed the place."

"Your day of travel in the desert can't have been easy, you must all be exhausted. We should containue your briefing in the morning, the rest of the day is your own. Just be sure you are back by dawn, you'll be leaving again tomorrow and I want you rested. I'm afraid you are sharing rooms though, this place isn't quite that big, still it shouldn't be more than two in each and you can comfortably fit."
Edgley slings a small pouch towards each of the team, they contain ninety platinum coins each
"Luckily the gambling pulls in enough to keep you paid at least at a semi-respectable level. Now you are dismissed. Xaemar let's go into the next room so we can have a talk about what happened."
Edgley stands up, gives a smile and walks through a doorway with Xaemar following behind.
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #4  
Unread 25th of September, 2002, 14:09
WhoNAN's Avatar
WhoNAN
Dracolich

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #7
Location: Florida - USA
Posts: 321 (0.05 per day)
Tolven steps up to the superior officer, and Xaemar.... and pauses as to say something..... hesitates..... extends his gloved hand to Xaemar.

"It was indeed interesting to have made your acquantance."

Gives a glance to Edgley... and turns to leave.

"Sir, this man has much to offer us.... I have a nagging suspicion that we should listen to what he has to say and consider it seriously." Again he turns to leave.... shakes his head and walks out the door.

Stopping only long enough to say... "And... I would have an interest in such matters, respectfully."
__________________
Winner of the 2002 Coolest avatar of the year award?
  #5  
Unread 25th of September, 2002, 16:27
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.30 per day)
Collin waves as the two men depart. "Good-bye Xaemar. Until the next time our paths may cross again." He smiles as he says this.

When left to do his own business, Collin moves into one of the rooms offered to the unit. He shucks his armor to be more comfortable and begins to meditate, offering silent prayers to his god.

(OOC - prayers to deal with the leveling up as a cleric. Already fixed the character sheet, including hit points, spells, and skills.)
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #6  
Unread 1st of October, 2002, 00:24
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Varidiir bows his head sadly as the two speak of Charir. In all the excitement of being in the desert and listening to Xaemar's nearly-mad prophecy he had forgotten that they had lost a comrade in a senseless battle. Would it happen again? Quite likely it would. The azer scratches his bronzed chin with an equally bronzed hand. That was the risk in being in this kind of work. Dying for little or no reason and with few to remember you.

As the men leave Varidiir nods once and waves. At least they got paid, that was always one of the high points. He moves off to one of the rooms and admires his gems for a time before meditating to clear his mind.
  #7  
Unread 9th of October, 2002, 20:43
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.94 per day)
The next day (27th of Aluthriak) dawns all too quickly, each of you gradually return to the room where you met with those based in this country yesterday. Azure and Sub-Commander Edgley are both sat at the table once more, he indicates for you to be seated as you enter and then stands,
"A united Ku'Zul is a happy, peaceful and hard-working Ku'Zul. It has not been an easy road to walk, the invasion begin's tomorrow morning. This the is time when the plan comes together and Vodalia grows. You will be traveling north-eastward, as will Azure, Xaemar and myself. Grozen will be remaining here for the moment, as will the other team. It is their duty to ensure that their current positions are exploited and the intial leg goes off with minimum resistance."
Edgley is clearly rather nervous
"I waited and prepared for this day for so long, everything hinges on our work. Azure, Xaemar and myself will be traveling to Eron, the capital. We have a contact there and should be able to hide within the town and aid it's eventual capture when the time comes."
The man pauses and looks at the team
"You will aid the capture of Eron. We have found the location of a certain magical tome, it is a legendary book and if Azure had the chance to study it for even a brief time it would grant us, in combination with the great Vodalian Army, an almost certain victory. With Eron, and a majority of the other larger towns taken then the country would crumble. A few desert oasis towns isn't enough for them to survive, they would fall to their knees and surrender. Once the country is ours then we can start to make life better for the people who lived here."
The sub-commander looks at Azure,
"Azure knows the details of your task, so if you would be as so kind as to listen closely then we can be off and make a good start before our troops arrive."
Edgely sits down and takes a deep breath. Azure looks squarely at each of you and then begins to speak in a slow yet clearly intelligent voice,
"The book you are searching for is called the Grimoire Ira Scientia. It is unlikely to be as all-powerful as some old tales would have you believe but any extra power we can gain is a help in our task. Just long of a tenday ago, word reached me that one of Mephantia's vaults had been uncovered by a Dauth halfing treasure hunter. After some research I found where the vault was and it seems very likely that it is the resting place of the Grimoire, I could be wrong, but even so the vault should contain various other items that may be of some use. I have heard nothing of the treasure hunter since, it is possible that the vault is now looted, if this is true you will have to hunt him down and recover what he took."
Azure takes a sip from a mug and continues,
"Assuming the vault is unlooted and is in fact the holding place of the Grimoire. You are to take it and bring it to Eron, near to the temple district there is a large farmers market , known locally as Aishen's Market, due to the fact it is so close to what is most likely the largest temple to the Goddess in all the lands. You will notice a band of fairly large merchant town-houses. We will be in the Pohil residence, just ask to see Master Pohil at the door."
"Eron is almost three hundred miles away, it will around nine days of very hard riding for us to arrive. I will direct you to the vault when we draw close, we will mainly be following the road that clings to the side of the Ruby Sands. Have I missed anything? or do you have any questions?"
The woman looks intently into each of your eyes in turn

[ The name Mephantia is vaguely familiar to both The Unknown one and Tolven, a Wizard who spent her life attempting to transcend mortal limits and become a God, it's not known if she succeeded]

[ The Grimoire Ira Scientia is familiar only to the unknown one, it is the text referred to in a great deal of vague magical tales. However most that know of the book regard it as a myth or a cruel joke to make people search for the impossible]
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll

Last edited by BigRedRod; 9th of October, 2002 at 23:30.
  #8  
Unread 10th of October, 2002, 06:56
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.30 per day)
Collin's stunned by the news that their next mission is straight out of a fairytale. "Let me get this straight, you want us to go into a possible death trap after a fictional tome that some halfling is rumored to have found? What else did your contact say about this halfling, other than his name? Maybe a description of the guy, or possibly who his friends are? What kind of equipment did he carry with him when he went off to find this book? I can't imagne anyone going off alone to find this mythical book. And if we're to track him down, are you going to pay a hiring fee for an expert tracker? You did say it was ten days ago that you were given this information and that it's another ten days or so to travel to this hidden location. And we'll also need a good description of the book."

He begins to drum his fingers together as he speaks, "Let's say for argument sake you're right, the book exists and the halfling finds it. What if he uses it against us? Or how about after we recover it, are we allowed to make use of the contents within?"

He stops his drumming, "I have one more question to ask, why must we leave before the rest of the troops arrive? Wouldn't it be better to wait for their arrival? We could draft one of their trackers."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #9  
Unread 10th of October, 2002, 10:45
WhoNAN's Avatar
WhoNAN
Dracolich

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #7
Location: Florida - USA
Posts: 321 (0.05 per day)
Tolven blankly manages to look at Collin as to be dumbfounded.

He questions orders yet again... this time blantetly to his commander.... that takes a bit of bravado.

"... the halfling most likely has no clue upon what he has stumbled... if he has indeed penetrated the Tomb.... it is rumored to be so and we go on what we can... often in the past what I state is a inteligently weighed rumor.... and this line of work is indeed by nature a death trap."

The drow manages to state his passionate words with no affect whatsover.

A priest, questioning such things.... he is an interesting one indeed.
__________________
Winner of the 2002 Coolest avatar of the year award?
  #10  
Unread 10th of October, 2002, 13:04
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.30 per day)
Responding to Tolven's comments, Collin says, "Sorry Tolven, I disagree. We're supposed to be an elite force for the government of Vodalia. Our missions while sometimes dangerous should never be futile. Our first mission had a very high success rate with minimal casulties. Our second wasn't either, delivering a message to the Jack. The last mission, while the implications of it were less then noble, wasn't conceptually impossible. This one however has a foul stench about it. We'll be around 20 days behind a halfling thief, and still have to navigate an ancient tomb that nobody seems to come back from. And for what, a book who's contents may or may not be useful?"

Turning back to Edgley he says in a sincere voice, "I'm sorry for questioning these latest orders, but I can't see why one our special forces units is detailed to a job better suited for an expendible recon unit. If what you say is true, the main force is just days behind and at this point one or two more days won't make much of a difference when the thief has a 20 day lead."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #11  
Unread 10th of October, 2002, 14:12
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
"He'll be damn hard to find too," Varidiir chimes in, "'specially being a halfling and all. I don't mind checking out the tomb, you said there'd be other useful items in there anyway, right? But if you want us to track him it's gonna be hard, real hard."

The azer scratches his chin, an action that is fast becoming a habit with him, and shrugs. While the halfling might not know they were coming, twenty days was a long time and he could easily disappear long before they arrived.
  #12  
Unread 10th of October, 2002, 17:02
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.94 per day)
Edgley looks Collin squarely in the eye and speaks very sharply
"If you have concerns then express them, however it is not your place to claim that the tasks which you are set are impossible and futile"
His voice calms slightly and he continues,
"This type of task is the purpose of the forces, you need to be flexable and effective. And every single day does count, Eron will be a difficult city to effectivly conquer we need all the help we can get and finding the book, whether or not it has been removed is the task you have been given. Waiting for the main force to arrive would be foolish, we need to be ahead of the army so that we might prepare the way, if Emperor Vodan wished to solve his problems with force then the Special Forces would not have been established and he would have simply invaded Dauthim."
The man takes a deep breath
"You will of course need a little more information about the treasure hunter so that you might might track him down if needs be ... Azure, do you have anything else?"

Azure looks rather shocked that the sub-commander was spoken back to, but she quickly composes herself and begins to speak
"The halfling is known as the liberator, he searches for rare items and sells them to the highest bidder. This is most likely the reason he entered the vault, he simply wants to plunder the items, it is unlikely he will know what the Grimoire is, unless he has some behind the scenes help who discovered that it may well be there. Still, I doubt he is still living, the Liberator is not one to slink away he would have returned to a town and flaunted his finds."
"He is slightly below average height for a halfling, he tends to wear a cloak while conducting buisness that covers his body and face so his exact appearance is largely unknown. Apart from his cloak and hidden face, he dresses in such a wide variety of ways that it's hard to pin him down to anything certain. He fights with a dagger and somehow he has the ability to teleport around in very short hops of a couple of dozen feet in each. He is normally accompanied by his muscle, I'm not sure if he has a name, but he tends to wear little more than a loose pair of trousers and is a rather well built ogre, wields a huge axe, he blindly obeys the halfling. I'm guessing the halfling also has a sage working for him who helps him find the sites which he loots."
Azure takes another sip from the mug before her,
"Expert tracker? If you feel that your team is not up the task alone then hire someone, it is not our concern how you complete the task just that you do and do so as quickly as possible. An exact description of the book is hard to give the form it takes changes from place to place, however it is most certainly a very large book, secured shut somehow, with the title on it's cover."
"The halfling is very unlikely to be capable of using the grimoire, it is not a direct weapon and so you are in no danger from it unless he has sufficent time to prepare and knows you are coming. As for using the grimoire yourselves, I will make it clear that you should not even attempt to open it, nevermind reading it. It is too dangerous to blindly read without some form of study before hand."

When Azure finishes Edgely speaks up again,
"Your task is to explore the vault and take anything that might be of use, Azure here will study whatever you recover in the hopes of aiding the army. If you find the Grimoire in the vault then it's a job well done and we can move on to the next stage. If not you are to attempt to track down the Grimoire and recover it. Any further questions?"
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll

Last edited by BigRedRod; 10th of October, 2002 at 23:04.
  #13  
Unread 11th of October, 2002, 01:59
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.30 per day)
Collin glares at his teammates, "Don't give me that look. I'm going to speak my mind about this. If you can't see past the end of your noses, we'll probably fail. At the start of every mission I've been quiet and because of it, they've all been harder than they should have been. I'm tired of it and the need to ask questions about the mission are now required. Remember it never hurts to ask questions. By the abyss, our diviner should be the one asking these questions but he's always too busy being dark and lonesome."

He turns back to Azure and snears, "Yes, I've got more questions, but firest, if our positions were reversed, wouldn't you be asking the same questions? Can't you see that our success translates into your success? So, if the mission requires an expert tracker, it should be your responsiblility to set the unit up with one. Or at the very least have a contact we can use to find one. If you can't see to that, I'm sure there's someone willing to do it behind you."

"As for mission specific questions, I've got a few more. In case the thief is gone and fled, what is his base of operations? What city does he make his home? He must have a regular buyer for his treasures. His jumping ability, does it dervive it's power from a magic item that you know of? The treasure trove, does it have a name? If we knew a little about it, we'd be better prepared to face the dangers within, unless you don't really care if the mission succeeds or not." He satres at Azure when he says that last bit.

"For example, who built the thing, and when? Why was it built? Based on such information it shouldn't be difficult to determine what to expect. If the people who built the thing did so thousands of years ago, their traps will be such that they're going to be mostly non-mechanical, consisting mostly of magical wards and pit traps. Their culture might have made it so that they buried undead guardians or created other non-living sentries. Depending on who they worshiped, we might be able to ward ourselves against ancient divine magics. If they worshiped a fire god, protections against flame might be in order."

"I'm going to ask one more question. Have you bothered to divine the treasure or vault? Or maybe scry the location of the thief and his friends? Doing such things might save us a lot of time."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #14  
Unread 11th of October, 2002, 03:18
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Varidiir opens his mouth but shuts it suddenly as the priest's stern speech. Given the option the azer would have shrugged stoically and gone about their mission as best he could. Collin does have a point though. While it might be likely for the halfling and his associates to go back to town and brag, what if he didn't? What if he had been contracted for this job?

The team had their strengths but they couldn't do everything. If they needed a tracker the least their superiors could do would be to provide a suggestion for such things. All these thoughts whirl through the normally placid mind of Varidiir.

"He does kind of have a point," the azer says in a quiet voice, unwilling to lend all his support to the priest but equally unwilling to remain silent on the matter.
  #15  
Unread 11th of October, 2002, 04:24
WhoNAN's Avatar
WhoNAN
Dracolich

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #7
Location: Florida - USA
Posts: 321 (0.05 per day)
Tolven continues with a blank visage.

"Questioning the validity of orders is just about as dangerous and futile as argueing amungst your allies."

There is more but it is not spoken.

"If anyone else has questions for our fine superiors speak them, if not then might I suggest how -we- plan on completing the task set forth for us."

He looks at the others... needing to ascert a bit of authority amongst the group to finish the briefing as quickly as possible... inwardly perturbed with Collin's blatent disrepect, and genuwinely concerned for his safety if he is allowed to continued.
__________________
Winner of the 2002 Coolest avatar of the year award?
  #16  
Unread 12th of October, 2002, 21:55
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.94 per day)
Azure answers collin,
"Indeed I would ask questions were I in your position. But I would not take personal offence at every opportunity. You..."
Edgley puts his hand lightly on Azure's shoulder,
"I'm sure that you were picked for your team with good reason but I have not seen the reason so far. You fail to understand your most basic of functions as part of the forces, we are not here to hold your hand. I need the Grimoire finding if at all possible, should you need a tracker then hire one, we are not at war yet. Go to the "Giant Slayers", they are a general purpose hiring station that don't have many qualms about who they work for or why as long as they are paid."

"The "liberator" is based in Eron, althouh he does pop in in the towns in villages in the immediate vicinity of the town. He isn't secrative about his trade and getting a message to him shouldn't be more difficult than asking around a bar, when he takes an item it tends to be auctioned off and he is usually present at his auctions, although the location changes each time."
Edgley looks over at Azure, he doesn't seem to know that much more about the halfling. She nods and begins to speak, although she still glares at Collin while she does so,
"Typically he will build up a reasonable collection of items, storing them in some unknown and well-hidden place. After a suitable collection is complete, word of the auction and it's location circulates. I'm assuming he keeps on the move to prevent theft of a collection or somesuch, he also enjoys the drama of doing things in such a way."
Azure takes a long pause
"His ability to hop distances instantly is most likely gained from an item he carries but he does not have any signature items, or at least he doesn't flaunt any. The vault itself doesn't have a name, it is simply one of Mephantia's vaults. There are one or two others that have been discovered and from various texts there are many more implied. Mephantia was a wizard from the far past, rather than keep all of her resources in a single location, she built and hid vault's.

"The signature of Mephantia is her love for magical stone constructs crafted to resemble various other creatures. She also trapped her vaults in rather lethal ways. This particular vault was only found after an earthquake unearthed it, its presence was then discovered by the "liberator" and he no doubt set his sights on the treasures that it may contain."

"Divination may indeed save you much time, might I point out that you have a Diviner with you."
Azure looks at the large bat-creature
"Perhaps if it did something rather than just stand then your task would not seem so daunting."
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #17  
Unread 12th of October, 2002, 23:54
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.23 per day)
Unknown smiles at Azure as he addresses him, a smile totally devoid of humour. Not answering at once, he lets the silence draw out and become strained before speaking.

"Do something? There are many things I could do, but I do not see the need to do anything at this very moment."

Turning to address Collin the Fiend continues. "We have just received our briefing. Wiser creatures lets the information settle before they start to speak. You have seen fit to give me advice in the past, now let me return the favour. Remain silent; you would be amazed at what you will learn. There is a saying. The emptiest drum makes the loudest noise

((OOC: Alright!! First post, and Im already creating havoc. ))
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #18  
Unread 13th of October, 2002, 06:25
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.30 per day)
Collin snaps back at Unknown, "Yes, but look at where silence has brought us with regards to Pandora. If only you, I or any of the others with our superior intellects had taken just a bit of time back at the capital to research the goddess, we may have never had come down into this stinkin desert."

He fires back with his own phillosophical saying, "You want sayings? How about this one? The unasked question has no answer."

Collin, finally finished taking a few brief notes about the mission, says to Unknown, "If I didn't ask or speak up, what information would you have gone off with? You'd have the name of a fabled book, and a vague description of the person looking for it. After my questions, we now know he has an ogre bodyguard, an ability to jump around magically, his name and a place to start looking if he has in fact beaten us to this book's burial site."

Turning back to the general council he asks, "While we're exploring for the book, I take it you'll be looking for him if he surfaces in Eron? And, if it ends up that we have to track the thief to that city and are unable to locate the book through subterfuge, how much do you think he'd end up selling it for in his auction? It might come down to that as a last resort, us buying the book from him." Collin gives the room the 'don't give me that look' look. "The end result would still be what you wanted, the recovery of the book. That is the mission's primary objective isn't it? Or did you want the thief eliminated no matter what? I suupose in our last ditch efforts to get the tome, we could kill him at the exchange."

"With regards to divinations, you wouldn't happen to have a picture, drawing or other description of this book would you? It could help in the search of the item."

He looks to his superiors and says, "No offense, but in the past the whole need to know line may have actually hampered the mission's success. Sure I realize that the intelligence branch sorts through piles of information, and on occassion I'm sure that you have to hold back some of it, but you should know in advance that we'd need more than 'a Dauthian halfling thief intends on recovering the Grimoire Ira Scientia.' It shouldn't be our job to extract a description of him and co-horts from you."

With open hands he continues, "It's not like I'm trying to tell you exactly how to do your jobs, but you might consider the fact that we are all on the same team. If we can't trust you to deliver all the necessary vital information, how are you to trust us to complete the mission successfully? Besides, it saves time and feelings, if you care about either one of them."

"Speaking about time, 300 miles on heavy horse in less then a week isn't really feasible. Even if you run your horse into the ground you'd never make it." Collin looks at Unknown when he says this. "We'll all have to travel light and on swifter horses. We might even consider buying extra horses to bring along too."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend

Last edited by The_Friendly_Fiend; 13th of October, 2002 at 06:51.
  #19  
Unread 13th of October, 2002, 15:28
WhoNAN's Avatar
WhoNAN
Dracolich

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #7
Location: Florida - USA
Posts: 321 (0.05 per day)
Tolven actually starts to smile and almost just almost laughs while Collin speaks.... he indeed finds something very amusing... so much so that the Dark elf has cracked, and a hint of actual sincere emotion bubbles through.... a bit random.... but nevertheless there.

I wonder what this boy would learn from another hundred years... because if his mortality wouldn't be the demise of him, it would be his quick tongue.

"If there is nothing else you would like to share with us, I will take my leave." Vocaly directing his attentions to the group.

"I would like to meet shortly to discuss our preperations... half an hour should be adaquate for all."

Whatever Collin must do to apease himself... it shouldn't be any of my concern, not any longer.

With that if excused he sets to his quarters to pack and prepare for the trip.
__________________
Winner of the 2002 Coolest avatar of the year award?
  #20  
Unread 13th of October, 2002, 17:40
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.94 per day)
Edgley nods,
"In half an hour we will meet back here. Then we can set out together."
He looks Collin,
"We do not have a picture of the book, I'm sure our time together on the journey will be enough for you to ask any more questions that you might think up."
Edgley nods again and walks into his office, Azure thumbs through some papers on the table before her, she stops on a map and starts to study the course of a red line across it.
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #21  
Unread 14th of October, 2002, 06:49
Cadrius's Avatar
Cadrius
Refusing to Sow [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #12
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 5,728 (0.93 per day)
Varidiir squints at each of the speakers among the group. Each one having their own agendas and emotions, each one behaving so very strangely. The fiend is typically arrogant and biting in his speech. No real surprise there. Tolven sounds little different in his remarks. A proud drow? What a surprise. Almost as surprising as Collin's persistence. Bah, primes, who could figure them out anyway?

In truth Varidiir does support the priest in some matters. They had gained more knowledge from his barrage of questions. What would Varidiir have done if they hadn't received such information? The same thing he's always done. Just gone along and let the others do his thinking for him, only needing him when trouble was afoot. No more. The azer vows to voice his own opinion more often, or at the very least ask more questions.

As the people disperse the azer taps Collin on the thigh and looks up at him, his bronzed skull shining from the fire spouting from his head. He looks at the priest a moment and then says one word.

"Horses?"
  #22  
Unread 14th of October, 2002, 13:39
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.30 per day)
Collin looks up at his flaming friend and then down at his feet before shaking his head and shrugging. "Yeah, I know, but unless the Unknown one's horse sprouts bat wings, he might be left behind if we only have a week to get there. A heavy horse might be fearsome in combat, but in a distance run, the other horses can out pace one. Then again..."

Collin stands up and looks over Azure's shoulder at the map. In an apologetic tone he says, "Look I know you're only doing your job, but we haven't had a very easy time of it as of late. Charir died a most meaningless death and I can't stand the heat. You people were just easy targets to vent my frustration upon."

Studying the map, he traces the red trail with his finger. "Is there a shortcut we could use across the desert? The Unknown one's horse could use one if there is a way to shorten the distance. Otherwise he'll have to take a new mount."

After listening to her comments he asks, "You do have a description we could use to help locate this book we need to find, right? Most divinations require a fairly accurate decription of the person or object that you're looking for. Anything you can provide would be of some help. Also, anything you can tell me about this Mephantia would also be of some use. Tell me or us if he used a lot of fire or worked on exotic poisons, that kind of thing. It will all help us to overcome his traps if he set his lair up with them."
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
  #23  
Unread 14th of October, 2002, 21:19
BigRedRod's Avatar
BigRedRod
A One-Winged Angel [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #17
Location: In the bath
Posts: 11,976 (1.94 per day)
Azure looks at the map
"Travelling a desert is hard work, the horses have trouble on the sand, the road however is well built. The fatest route involves traveling further in this case."

"I too mourn the loss of one of the team-members"
Azure talks rather flatly

"Mephantia was a little unpredictable, possibly all the found vaults weren't hers, some have poisons others don't. Most use rather complex mechanical traps that are aided by magic. Once you arive I would suggest extreme caution, if you miss a trap you most likely won't survive to regret your mistake"

"There are no conclusive reports of what the Grimoire looks like I'm afraid. In all the reports of it's usage it seems to have a different form, possibly there are copies, or some of the reports lied. It's too hard to say, in my opinion all that can be done is exploring the vault in hope and then if neccessary hunting down the halfling."
__________________
BRR just likes to punish us. He does it because we are weak. --The Alcotroll
  #24  
Unread 17th of October, 2002, 23:45
itches's Avatar
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Member: #10
Location: Castle Greyskull
Posts: 13,740 (2.23 per day)
Bareing his teeth at Colin, in a wicked parody of a grin, The Unknown-One

"You are right" are the only words that pass his lips, and with no more said or done he turn on his heal and stalks out of the chamber.


as he walks off, a warning to Colin echos in his head, but does not travel further

Becareful of your words cleric, you walk a knifes edge, and if you say the wrong thing, you may find your-self chewing steel.
__________________
@}-`-- Coffee + Hate = itches
  #25  
Unread 18th of October, 2002, 05:26
The_Friendly_Fiend's Avatar
The_Friendly_Fiend
Yet Another Banned Fool [GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Member: #111
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,797 (0.30 per day)
Still talking with Azure, Collin hypothesizes, "So, best case scenario, the thief and his friends are dead inside the complex, setting off or disabling all the deadly traps, making the recovery easy. Worst case, they've looted the place and have made their way to some secret auction site. If the latter is true, I take it you'll want us to report it to you the moment we arrive in Eron? It wasn't mentioned in the brief. Besides, if you're there, you might have come across some new information."

Getting around to the book, he mentions off-hand, "Perhaps one of the others know more about this book? I'll have to ask our diviner. He generally needs more prodding in order to loosen his tongue. Sometimes it makes me wonder why we were put together."

Collin then goes in search of the Unknown one. When he finds him he asks about the book. "Unknown one, what do you know about this book? You're the diviner, can you divine something about its location, or description? Maybe look into the treasure trove it's supposed to lie in? Or if that doesn't work, locate the halfling thief?"
__________________
The Friendly Fiend
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren