Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > My Enemies Have Sweet Voices...

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 13th of March, 2005, 00:39
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Kat receives a Trump call.
  #2  
Unread 13th of March, 2005, 10:20
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Kat had been making her way back out the castle when she receives the Trump call. I really do need to get Raevyn to teach me some tricks for situations like this.

She steps into a side corridor if one is nearby or an empty room before answering the call. "Hello?"

Kat inclines her head to Heldrik as he speaks about further discussions to be had, "When you are able and have the time, Cousin, I shouldn't be too difficult to contact. I don't expect that I shall be too far from Amber or at least the Golden Circle for some time yet and during that interim I will pass along news of your well being to Rebis. My regards to Agraynel of course and a good day to you, Cousin. Until I hear from you in the near future fare thee well, the both of you."

Kat smiles and allows Heldrik to break the contact once he completes his own farewell. She pokes her head around the corner and stares at the door to Florimel's office. I think I can get away with the passing along of a note. Now to find someone to interupt Her Highness and my newest cousin.

Kat quickly sets about jotting down a note and then finding a servant to deliver the note to Lord Rebis.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 24th of March, 2005 at 07:15.
  #3  
Unread 24th of March, 2005, 07:16
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Finding a servant is easy enough. [What does it say?]
  #4  
Unread 24th of March, 2005, 14:13
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
The note says:

Lord Rebis,

I have received word from Heldrik and he is on his way to a full recovery. He passes along his gratitude and his best wishes for good fortune in your search and endeavours. It shouldn't be long before you and he meet again. I have passed along information regarding your whereabouts and well being here in Amber.

Kat.
  #5  
Unread 30th of March, 2005, 22:13
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
The servant takes the note, promising it will get delivered to Lord Rebis, if he can be found.

That done, she begins to head back out the castle to retrieve her horse, wondering if something else will distract her on her way out this time.
  #6  
Unread 31st of March, 2005, 14:09
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Again Kat begins her ride down to the city, the docks and harbour her destination.

All I need is passage aboard one ship. It doesn't have to be pretty, I just need to get to the Golden Circle. From there it should be relatively simple to concentrate on what my Uncle told me and the tips that Roland gave me. I have to get the knack for that coin toss. It's bound to come in handy.
  #7  
Unread 31st of March, 2005, 23:33
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Passage is easy to arrange, the first ship out being the Silver Hind out of Kashfa, bound first for Rebma, then Eregnor Freeport, then its home. If she does not wish to be recognized, it's easy enough not to, leaving her horse in the care of one of the constabulary to make its way back to the Palace. If she is ready, the ship saisl today. Otherwise, there is a tramp freighter out of Bitterweg, the poor port that serves Ghenesh, running back there with anything they can get to compete with the land caravans. I could probably pay to have him change his destination, if I needed to...
  #8  
Unread 3rd of April, 2005, 09:13
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Kat prefers to remain as anonymous as possible and books her passage aboard the Silver Hind. If possible she remains in her cabin or at least below deck out of the way as the ship makes ready to leave port.

Once we've left Rebman waters, I shouldn't have difficulties practising. It will be a good test to see what I can work with some of the sea-life and there'll be a game or two run by the crew.
  #9  
Unread 4th of April, 2005, 22:37
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Remaining in her tiny cabin, after half a day Katarzyna hears the transfer of cargo to and from the Rebman trading platforms to the Silver Hind. The next day they must be abroad upon the wide ocean, for the swells have increased dramatically. The hiss and splash of the water along the hull is loud and persistent, and the ship is heeled to starboard from the stiff nor'wester.

Venturing forth, she finds fried salt pork, biscuit and fresh oranges to break her fast in the galley, strong tea to wash it down. Taking her meal up to the quarterdeck, she finds a spot out of the way of the officer of the deck and the two crewmen repairing a hawser, and eats. Poor fare for a lubber, but in the clean salt air, fit for a princess...

Looking around the main deck from her vantage, she observes arbalests stowed on their mounts, and rack of boarding pikes. Pirates, sea monsters, wandering warships that slip through shadow, never to be seen again in their homes...There don't seem to be any games of chance in view...perhaps she would find such belowdecks, in the crew quarters, or after the sun sets, when the main work is done and the rum comes out. Or maybe a more civilised game of cards in the wardroom...
  #10  
Unread 8th of April, 2005, 08:43
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Games can wait for a little while longer as Kat returns to her cabin after her meal. She waits till sundown before venturing aboard deck again for some more salty fresh air. Looking for a quiet spot out of the way, she removes a coin from a pocket and practises with it. She'll keep practising trying to get the knack of it and remembering Roland's instructions.

If I can get this to work at will, then I can move onto something bigger and more complicated. Little inaminate things first and then I can try the fish.
  #11  
Unread 11th of April, 2005, 05:27
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
It really isn't hard to improve her control of the probability, now that she is not under duress. Kat realizes that the officer of the deck is watching her. Must be dull to just stand there on the quarterdeck, looking stern hour after hour, while the ship is in no trouble. When he notices her noticing, he smiles and looks back at the thin crew keeping the watch. Wonder what he thinks I'm doing?
  #12  
Unread 12th of April, 2005, 17:10
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Now that she has that aspect of things down, at least with a simple object, Kat turns her attention to the ocean below. She casts a casual look to her left and right to see if anyone else is taking a vested interest in the waves before attempting to work her will. She doesn't aim for much, just a small school of dolphins to race the ship and she can build on that later.
  #13  
Unread 12th of April, 2005, 20:29
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
It takes a bit longer than coin manipulation, but before long a pod of dolphins has taken to frolicking with the ship, drawing some attention from the bored sailors and the OD.
  #14  
Unread 12th of April, 2005, 21:02
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Kat toys with the idea of drawing some mermaids towards the ship to really spice things up a bit for the sailors but decides against it. Feeling she's achieved enough for the time being, she breaks away from her spot on the deck and heads back below deck. She looks for anyone involved in a game of cards, looking to see if she can buy the deck and find out how far out they are from Kashfa. If successful she retires to her cabin and practises drawing a card to see if she can manipulate that as successfully as the coin.
  #15  
Unread 13th of April, 2005, 00:46
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
It's easy to buy a deck of cards, as the sailors have many, and they know they will be in Kashfa in two days or so. Kat spends the next couple of days practicing her card manipulation using Pattern probability warping.

The ship contrives to sail into the harbor just a little after dawn, and she is let off as soon as possible, probably to give the crew a chance to work unencumbered by passengers. She looks around the waterfront, seeing the usual dives, bars, restaurants and shops, many not yet open for the day. Up the hill looms the tree-speckled city of Kashfa, its quarters a little less grand, perhaps a little more casual and friendly, than those of Amber.
  #16  
Unread 19th of April, 2005, 16:25
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Without any baggage to tie her down, Kat makes her way around the waterfront with her thoughts centered on Quinn. She isn't exactly certain where he'll be but she has a good feeling that the waterfront is a better place than most to start looking for him. The places that are open at this time of the morning get a quick visit, so as to kill time and procure a hearty breakfast.

Come find me, Quinn. If you're here, let's see if you can find your way to me or if I'll find you first.
  #17  
Unread 6th of June, 2005, 06:06
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
The sensation of being watched grows gradually, without conscious thought, scratching at her minds' door. Nothing inimical...somewhere above? Glancing up without seeming to, she locates a window, blowing in a breeze...there. A flash of something, a spinning coin, arcing out the window and through the Kashfan sunlight, to fall into her upturned palm.

A Corrilaine ducat.

Smiling, she turns in to the inn, to take a place at the bar, shoving her way good-naturedly through the morning press of layabouts. One smelly thug gives her a leer, but something in her eye convinces him to leave well enough alone.

A half pint later and she feels a jog at her elbow. "Hey, there, sweetie, how's about a kiss?" Hard suppressing a grin, she jabs Quinn sharply with her elbow, reminding herself of his youth. Her smile turns downward, darker, as she think of the news she has to tell him, about the others...or must she? They will return, after all, but perhaps not exactly the same, for all that....
  #18  
Unread 6th of June, 2005, 09:09
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Kat clears her head of the darker thoughts momentarily to order a pint for her companion. Keeping her voice low, she teases Quinn. "It's been too long since we shared a drink. You're looking well, this layabout lifestyle seems to agree with you. They must not work hard here in Kashfa."

What do I tell him about his comrades? I must tell him something and I cannot continue to keep them in the dark about Corrilaine.

She drains the last of her drink quickly and stands, catching Quinn by the arm. "I have news of your brothers, let us talk some place quiet and where interuptions are few. The news is not all good."

Time for the truth and to be rid of this shadow I feel about me.
  #19  
Unread 9th of June, 2005, 06:57
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
"What, you wanted me to be seen working? Bums are invisible, as long as they bathe and don't beg...an unemployed soldier of fortune, that's what to be! Not too loud, not too quiet...ears open, eyes wide, that's me...and I have a private room, though I would not vouch for its security." His voice lowers..."Let us walk, perhaps, through a lovely park nearby that I have found. The footpads there sheer off of an armed man, in the daytime at least...and it's safe from prying ears. You can tell me all the bad news you care to." Finishing his beer, he spins the glass gently across to the barkeep, and walks out arm in arm with her, subtly guiding them across the street and down a quiet alley, to debouch into a green open area.

Cityfolk stroll through the well-tended pathways, and the brush is cut back enough to ensure no one is hiding nearby. Walking arm in arm like lovers, still she feels the tension in his arm, and his jauntiness is a little forced as he says, "All right, Captain, go ahead, I can take it."
  #20  
Unread 9th of June, 2005, 15:27
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Knowing Quinn is strong enough to handle news of fallen comrades, Kat tells him of the drama that took place at the Keep. She tells him that Darius and Zane were lost but if what her Uncle told her was true; she can find them alive and well.

"How does that affect you? I don't even know the exact principles or what is involved, only that you cannot be lost eternally to me. I'm not even certain that it doesn't change you, any of you from who you are and were when you entered into this pact."

Through it all she keeps her arm entwined with his, preparing to lend him strength for the next phase of revelations. "We can't return home, Quinn. She's gone; destroyed by the Queen and my Uncle. I've kept this from you all as I haven't known how to broach the topic with you. Until now I haven't been been fully convinced it was true and I suppose I clung to false hope. We are alone and stranded. Now I intend to fetch our brothers. Will you accompany me or do you wish to be released from your pledge?"
  #21  
Unread 15th of June, 2005, 19:50
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
He keeps walking as the story unfolds, mechanically, chewing over the revelations. In response to her question, he replies, "I'm just a sword-swinger, Captain. Losing one's companions in battle is part of life. The fact that you have the power to bring them back, somehow - or versions of them, as I understand it - I don't know. Maybe it will be fine, or maybe it will seem all wrong. I'll just have to judge when it happens, I guess. None of that matters, though, in the long run. If I am really to have the eternal life Lord Delwin promised, then I will just have to learn to deal with changes like these, right?" The glance he gives her is a little bright, his eyes a little wet with restrained emotion. He's trying to be strong, and stoic, and resilient...I'm all he has...in fact, his only reason to exist is me, I suppose...this is a level of responsibility that goes even beyond leading troops in battle.

"I don't know about Corrilaine - there's no one really back there for me anyway. If it's gone...well, it's gone. If not, and we are immortal, we have time to find it again, not true? And if it is not gone, then someone among those of power can help us, if the price be right. I intend to stay the course until it all ends, milady. I am your man, at your command. There is no need of asking...but thank you anyway." A gentle smile. "Lead on."
  #22  
Unread 21st of June, 2005, 11:07
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Kat is deeply touched by Quinn's words and the emotion that he keeps restrained. "We'll find out together, Quinn. If home can be found, we'll find it and if she is indeed gone, then we shall find a new one. All of us, changed or not." She embraces him then and kisses his cheek.

Flashing him a quick smile, she ruffles his hair. "Now let us find our comrades and join together again lest you grow bored with my company alone. We need a skiff and some supplies. I have in mind places to search where I believe we'll find good men up to no good." Laughing she tucks her arm into his again and lets him lead the way, knowing he possesses the local knowledge needed to gather what they'll require for their journey.

She also tucks away the knowledge that she can trust in her men and their loyalty to her and one another. It was no mere lark their oath. We six are bound and I will not treat it as trivial again. What befalls me, befalls these men and I cannot let that be for token gestures.
  #23  
Unread 28th of June, 2005, 06:54
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Bowing graciously, he says, "Thou art anything but boring, milady. Let us away."

Leading her down to the waterfront, hands loose this time, they search among the wharves and marinas for any selling a small boat, somewhat larger than a skiff. Once secured, they gather up or purchase whatever supplies she needs, and stow them in the boat. Taking the oars, and nodding at the tiller, Quinn lifts an eyebrow. "Whither now, Captain my Captain?"
  #24  
Unread 3rd of July, 2005, 15:50
Pygysys's Avatar
Pygysys
Mohrg

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #862
Location: Oz
Posts: 958 (0.19 per day)
Kat lifts her gaze to the skies above looking for a bird taken flight. Spying one off the port bow, she lifts her arm and points that way. "We'll follow our little friend out there for now and not far from him we'll know the way." It will be a good place to begin shifting from if nothing else.

Once they are a good way from Kashfa's port and other vessels, Kat starts shifting towards home though that is not her intended destination. She and Quinn sail towards a small island she has visited before when serving the Queen. It was there she first encountered Zane and it is there she expects to meet him again. There will be a small fire on the beach and Zane will be cooking freshly caught fish, awaiting our arrival and eager for a game of cards.

During the course of the journey, Kat discusses Kashfa with Quinn and anything he learnt of the place including culture, popular opinion, gossip about the King, trading partners and so on.
  #25  
Unread 9th of July, 2005, 05:22
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.64 per day)
Soon enough, the two sail up to that small fire on the beach and Zane will be cooking freshly caught fish, awaiting our arrival and eager for a game of cards. The feel of dry land is good after the rollicking of the small boat.

A man remarkably like Zane looks up from the fish - enough for three, it seems - and smiles. "Welcome back, my friends," he says. "I was just dreaming about you."
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 01:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren