Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Wired*Nun's Games > My Enemies Have Sweet Voices...

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 04:43
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
Landon and Luke

“ Originally Posted by Shutter Rinaldo, here?...Time to meet your uncle's killer... ”
Rinaldo says quietly, "Hey, call me Luke." He holds out his hand without regard to the mess, though he does pull out a cloth and wipe it off afterward. "Don't want to smudge my trumps...not with the Blood of Amber anyway." He pauses as Benedict departs, bearing Heldrik with him.

"Let's get back to the Maze, and get my mother and brother. We can still salvage this and deny them some of their prize, especially the part they didn't earn." He waves Roland back down the tunnel. "You able to jog? We need to hurry."
  #2  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 05:02
Shutter's Avatar
Shutter
Effigy

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #840
Posts: 1,748 (0.33 per day)
Roland shakes hands, firmly, but no test of strength or any other macho nonsense that briefly occurs to him. "Luke."

“ "You able to jog? We need to hurry." ”
He nods. "I think so, aside from the nose it's just minor cuts. Lead the way." While they jog, he tries to ask. "What became of Dunstan and the girl he was with?"
__________________

  #3  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 05:08
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Girl? Who do you mean? Raevyn? Unfortunately I think she got taken, but fortunately, she seems to be all right. As for Dunstan, I left him and my mother upstairs. I'm betting they won't find them for a few minutes, and we can get them out. After that, I want to cut loose the Maze from their potential control, and see if we can't screw up the Fount for a long while. I didn't sign any fucking Forms." He snorts at his own weak joke.
  #4  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 05:16
Shutter's Avatar
Shutter
Effigy

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #840
Posts: 1,748 (0.33 per day)
"Raevyn, aye. She was taken alive?...as long as she's safe."

Ok, cutting them off from the Maze, excellent...screwing with the Fount, good good...rescuing Dunstan and Jasra, also very good....Assuming that Dunstan was off kilter about Luke being an evil psychotic....

How much can I help him, honorably?...How concerned am I with that? They let me go, the transaction is finished. Isn't it? A little silly to be very hung up on Forms without making sure that everyone else knows what they are. The basics one can intuit, but this? More of a grey area perhaps.

He thinks a bit more, remembering Winnow's grin when they claimed Heldrik's sword for their own. Fuck'em. Should have explained my parole to me.

"Plan sounds good, let me know how I can help. I'm no sorcerer though, just as a warning...."

Goddamn jogging with a broken nose hurts...

"Luke, Dunstan thinks you're...well, crazy. Any idea why he thinks that?" Good one...ask the famous salesman to sell himself...You have all the subtelty of a rock Roland.
__________________


Last edited by Shutter; 15th of February, 2005 at 05:30. Reason: added some more thought.
  #5  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 05:55
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Yeah, well, we - he and I - had kind of a falling-out. I used to come around, be the older brother and all that, but I got so damn busy...we had an argument. Maybe you know how a fourteen-year old kid can be, how cocky and sure of himself. He thought he knew how everything should be...anyway, I left to let him cool off, you know? And when I try to call mom up a week later, I can't reach her. I try to call Dunstan, and he hits me with everything he's got through the Trump. Well, he's tough, but not that tough, so I broke it off and figured I'd try again later. I wasn't worried yet."

The blue light at the end of the tunnel turns out to to be an open door, and Roland realizes the door they passed a long way ago was the one he came out such a short - long? - time ago as he scouted. This door was the one he couldn't open, but it's open now. They enter, and the impact of the Maze washes over Roland.

Luke waits a moment to let Roland get over his amazement. "Look, sorry, there's no time for rubbernecking. To finish answering your question, mother said someone, probably Dara, masqueraded as me and attacked her and Dunstan. I don't think she - or whomever it was - knew Dunstan had training, and between the two of them they drove her off, but mom ended up in a coma. Some form of preservation she used - I think Dara tried to exorcise her spirit from her body - left her stuck in some kind of limbo. Dunstan gets hold of her writings, teaches himself more of what he needs to know, gets his father to support him, takes the Fount treatment...becomes really powerful but erratic, with serious gaps in his training. That's what I think. Sound plausible?" He looks sidelong at Roland as he walks around to the far tunnel entrance, and cocks an eyebrow.

Holding up a Trump of Jasra, he says, "First things first." Concentrating on the card, Roland hears him say, "The running feet you hear may be looking for you, mother. Grab Dunstan and whatever else you absolutely must, and come through, unless you want to spend time in a Hendrake hell." A moment later, Jasra and Dunstan step through.

The boy looks sick and exhausted, she tired but proud, standing there in her bedclothes. Rinaldo makes no move toward his brother, except to say, "Dunstan...it wasn't me."

Dunstan hangs his head and says, "Yeah. I know now. Not sure how to stop hating you though...gimme some time." He walks carefully over to the cavern wall, and sits down gingerly. Dark bruises still show around his throat. Mother and son exchange looks.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 15th of February, 2005 at 06:10.
  #6  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 06:13
Shutter's Avatar
Shutter
Effigy

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #840
Posts: 1,748 (0.33 per day)
Jogging along and listening Roland is relieved to see that his sense of direction and instincts were correct. Ah, so now I'll get to see the....oh my.... His mind twists around, trying to absorb the Maze in it's fullness, but there is not time for proper comprehension...he files it away and listens to Luke's explanation.

“ ...That's what I think. Sound plausible?" ”
"Very...I remember being that age. I was a pain in the ass. He's tough, and he can be pissy, I just hope he listens before trying to kill you."

As Luke brings Dunstan and Jasra through Roland positions himself to intervene should Violence erupt, again. He breathes a sigh of relief when it doesn't. He nods at Jasra and Dunstan, offering a slight and very weary smile.

"Good to see you're alive Dunstan, you too Lady Jasra...Sorry to say, but I failed to hold the Fount. Dalt fought well, he was taken alive and in pretty good shape. It looks like all of House Hendrake came to set up shop. They're after both of you, in person."

Looking at Jasra he jestures towards the Maze.

"Impressive. How do we keep it safe?" Ah, understatement...
__________________

  #7  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 06:26
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Yes, they would be," says Jasra. "I comitted the unforgivable sin. I rebelled. Sound familiar? Do you know why treason never prospers, Roland?" Her mouth quirks up in an answeringly tired smile.

Luke answers Roland's last question. "I want to sever it from the Fount. That's what powers it. I've set up a cheap version of the Fount to plug it into, but moving it from here to there will be tricky. I really wish everyone was fresh, and I'm in a catch-22 here. As soon as I cut off the Fount, I lose the Maze until it gets reconnected - and the Maze would make things a lot easier if I could use it to help move this place. Kind of like trying to drive an electric car with an extension cord. Sorry, only metaphor I could think of...anyone got any ideas? Roland, you know any friendly sorcerers? Sure wish I could call Merle, he's really good at things like this." He begins shuffling rapidly through his Trumps, as if hoping against hope something will occur to him.
  #8  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 06:34
Shutter's Avatar
Shutter
Effigy

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #840
Posts: 1,748 (0.33 per day)
Taking Jasra's question as rhetorical, the answer would be an essay Roland opens his personal Trump case and shifts out a particular Trump.

"I'm assuming you don't mean Fiona et al?...Then there's really only one I know, he might help us....maybe....if he's alive...Shall I give him a try?" He holds up Landon's Trump for their consideration. Define "longshot"...
__________________


Last edited by Shutter; 15th of February, 2005 at 06:47.
  #9  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 07:44
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Oh, god, no! That woman is dangerous. Makes me look like an amateur, and I'm pretty good. I should know who that is, but I can't remember...one of us newbies, I assume. I'll grasp at any straw, right now. Give him a try."

Jasra tosses down the blanket she is clutching and sits down with a sigh. "Son, you don't have some nice fast-time shadow nearby you can send us to?"

"Oh, mother, I'm sorry. I can send you to the cave complex...it's safe, but the time is fixed, and only slightly advantageous."

"All right," she says. "I'm no good to you here, nor is Dunstan. Give me one of your bracelets, and..." she trails off as he hands her one from his pocket, and squats down by Dunstan. "Come on, bud, you and mom are going on a little trip."

Shuffling out a trump, he concentrates on it for a moment, then lowers it. "Shit! They have Trumps blocked. I have to get in the Maze to break through their interference. Here, take this," he says, handing the Trump to Jasra. "Try in a couple of minutes. You too, Roland. And keep an eye on that door."

Standing, he walks into the Maze, disappearing within.

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 15th of February, 2005 at 18:03.
  #10  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 08:32
Shutter's Avatar
Shutter
Effigy

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #840
Posts: 1,748 (0.33 per day)
"Aye, a another young one." Roland tries Landon's Trump for a moment. Meeting similar resistance he sighs and tucks it into a pocket for easy access.

“ "...You too, Roland. And keep an eye on that door." ”
"Any objection to barring it? That corridor cries out for archers..." Without waiting for a reply Roland adjusts his satchel, feeling the weight of his sketchbook and other items, and heads for the door. If no one objects he'll shut the door and lock it by whatever means are most expedient, hopefully with a nice big crossbar or three. After that he'll cast about for a moment to see if anything else is handy to block the door off, if not, he'll sit before the door with his ear to it, listening to the hallway for anything that might be heard. Shit, where'd Lester get to?...
__________________

  #11  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 18:05
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
A short time later, Jasra waves goodbye at Roland, and she and Dunstan rainbow out. Trying Landon's Trump...
  #12  
Unread 15th of February, 2005, 18:31
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
“ Originally Posted by TreyKincaide "Next time we meet it should be over a glass of wine," he says before concentrating on Corwin's Trump again trying to make contact. ”
Contact comes slowly again, with some effort. This time, Corwin has dismounted, and stands next to a large ash tree. Ravens adorn its branches, and mutter and rustle a bit as Landon steps through.

Corwin grips Landon's hand in welcome, thumping him on the shoulder. "All sound again, I see - and damn glad to see it. I'm hellriding to the Keep right now, since I haven't been able to get through on a Trump to anyone who might bring me there. Aurora could only send me so far without drawing notice. You up for a roller-coaster?" He places the reins of a large bay gelding in Landon's hands, which stands placidly eyeing the new arrival.
  #13  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 00:51
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.43 per day)
Landon pats the side of the gelding's head taking time to familiarize himself with the animal before attempting to mount it.

He grins, "It looks like I'm going to have to be. My new baby smooth skin is going to yell at me later, but far better walking bow legged for awhile than trying it as I was. I'm pretty rested, so whenever you're ready..."
  #14  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 01:32
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"Off we go then. We'll start a little slowly, and I'll explain what I know. Also, do you have a trump of Rinaldo? If not, use mine." He holds out a card. "Keep trying him periodically, as you are able. He could get us there a lot faster."

Now the two mounted men move along a mountainside, down and down until it bottoms out inside a shallow valley with a swift-flowing stream. Plants shift from blue, to green, then back to blue, and the peaks keep rearranging themselves in a dizzying array. The water turns a vivid purple, then clears, and they begin climbing, climbing.
  #15  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 01:50
Shutter's Avatar
Shutter
Effigy

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #840
Posts: 1,748 (0.33 per day)
Roland stares at Landon's Trump, focusing on him, reaching for contact...Hoping that he's still alive, and willing to help.

Answer damnit, or I'll have to try Josh...I really don't want to do that.
__________________


Last edited by Shutter; 16th of February, 2005 at 02:03.
  #16  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 01:56
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.43 per day)
Landon accepts the Trump and tucks it in his sleeve for easy access after trying to make a quick contact, "All right," Landon says eager to have something to concentrate on to distract from the scenery. "And thanks for starting off slow. It's been awhile since I've been on a hellride and even then I only did it when I had to and when I was learning."

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 16th of February, 2005 at 05:11.
  #17  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 05:15
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
Trump call...
  #18  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 05:43
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.43 per day)
Landon pulls up the reigns bringing the gelding to a halt after calling out to Corwin, "Hold up. Getting a Trump call. It might be Rinaldo returning my Trump attempt or Gray with new information. In any case, I'd rather be on my toes with you nearby."

If Corwin pulls to a stop hopefully out of view, Landon will accept the Trump call, "Greetings..." he responds placidly.

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 16th of February, 2005 at 05:48.
  #19  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 05:51
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
Roland resolves, the blue light blazing in the background.
  #20  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 06:06
Shutter's Avatar
Shutter
Effigy

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #840
Posts: 1,748 (0.33 per day)
"Landon!" Roland springs to his feet, surprise and happiness are palpable through the contact. "You're alive...and not blond...right, later. We need help keeping the Maze out of Hendrake hands, sorcerous help...Rinaldo has a plan...other details, but they can wait, I think. What say you?" He wipes his hands on his pants to little effect, holding it forth to bring Landon through. The hand, like the rest of Roland is a bloody mess.
__________________

  #21  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 06:17
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.43 per day)
Landon regards his cousin stoically for the briefest of instants raising an eyebrow as he considers what Roland says. Roland notices that even the way Landon holds himself astride the bay gelding is different. It is evident that he possesses a harder edge than he did in their last meeting.

Landon simply nods and speaks to someone out of view, "It's Roland, Julian's son. He's with Rinaldo and asks for our assistance." He dismounts, "Pity to leave such a fine gelding. He seemed to have some sand in him." he shrugs and awaits Corwin to dismount and approach before allowing himself to be brought through.

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 16th of February, 2005 at 14:24.
  #22  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 07:10
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
"More important things going on than horses, I think," Corwin says with a laugh. "But fortune favors the bold - bring them along, you never know." He dismounts, then reaches out to touch Landon, leading his horse with him.

Emerging in the Maze cavern, Corwin gives Roland the once-over. "My, my," he says, ever the master of understatement. "Where's Rinaldo?"

Last edited by Wired*Nun; 16th of February, 2005 at 07:13.
  #23  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 07:49
Shutter's Avatar
Shutter
Effigy

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #840
Posts: 1,748 (0.33 per day)
Who is?...Corwin? His eyes widen in recongnition. Damn...what'd dad say he'd do? Say nice things about me in the void?...don't think I'll hold him to that. Roland nods a greeting to Landon and Corwin as they and their horses come through.

Meeting a new relative is always a tricky matter, it's even harder when you're tired and bloodied to maintain social graces. "Uncle," Roland greets him, looking at his own mess of a hand, unsure about offering it to shake. Corwin...feel like I know him from the book, but that's just one view...pain in the ass father said...Calm down Boy...

"Rinaldo is there, in the Maze. The plan is to shift this place away from the Fount, to some other power source off in shadow." He raises his voice and turns toward the Maze. "Luke! Landon, a sorcerer when last I met him, and Corwin are here to help."

Turning back to Landon he comments quietly, "You've grown Landon...Time can be a funny thing no?" The beard, the hair, the...the man. What has he been up to, what has he been through to harden him like this?
__________________

  #24  
Unread 16th of February, 2005, 09:54
TreyKincaide's Avatar
TreyKincaide
Famine Spirit [Epic]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member: #865
Posts: 2,269 (0.43 per day)
Landon stares past Roland and regards the Maze. With his free hand, he strokes his beard as he takes in his surroundings.

The last time I was around this construct's child, it tried to influence my thinking. I'm here to bar the Hendrake's control, but I don't have to like the blasted thing. Far easier if it never came into being, but it does exist and now we have to deal with it. Maybe Rinaldo will be somewhat forthcoming afterwards.

He nods absently in response to Roland's comment with his eyes transfixed on the Maze, "The vagaries of Shadow are at times kinder than others. It's been quite awhile, cousin."

He raises his voice somewhat directing a question to no one in particular, "I know in the past the Maze's shadows have reacted with hostility to Pattern manipulations in their immediately vacinity, but to be of service I need a better idea of what we're dealing with. Will it lash out at me if I summon the Sign of the Pattern to mind?"

Last edited by TreyKincaide; 16th of February, 2005 at 14:52.
  #25  
Unread 17th of February, 2005, 01:41
Wired*Nun's Avatar
Wired*Nun
Author of Sci-Fi Thrillers [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member: #830
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 8,526 (1.62 per day)
At Roland, he says, "Don't sweat it, man. Time to chat later."

“ "Rinaldo is there, in the Maze. The plan is to shift this place away from the Fount, to some other power source off in shadow." ”
"Seems reasonable. Luke's plans always seem reasonable...sometimes they even are." His mouth quirks up in a wry smile.

“ Will it lash out at me if I summon the Sign of the Pattern to mind?" ”
"Probably," says Corwin. "I think we'd better wait for Luke to tell us his plan, first."

[more later]
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 17:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren