Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Shakespeare's Games > Marvel: Los Angeles

Unread 13th of May, 2010, 19:51
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #7929
[Issue #1] ...and The Fall

"At least once during our adolescent years, many of us felt that our parents were the most evil people alive..."

Eighteen individuals, of different ethnic origins and ages, stood dormant against the backdrop of a picturesque villa flanked by palm trees. Twelve of them were adults, mounted together in a well-organized pyramid; beneath them, spread out across a bench, were six teenagers.

"...but what if they really were?"

Static flashed momentarily across the screen of the television set, and the pyramid of twelve was replaced by a slightly rounded man in a sharp blue suit, his glasses pushed up the rim of his nose towards his well-groom hairstyle. He was friendly in his manner, and his eagerness sold the story almost as much as the substance did alone.

"I'm Chester Biloxi," he said proudly, "and that's the question six area teenagers recently had to ask themselves... and it's what we'll be talking about today on 'Tsunami', Los Angeles' most exciting news magazine.

"As we all know, three months ago, it was revealed that twelve of our city's most prominent socialites were actually part of a villainous secret organization known as The Pride."

The news flashed once more, returning to the image of the pyramid of eighteen. Focus zoomed in on the six teenagers assembled out front; their eyes were blacked out, in some half-hearted effort to maintain some level of privacy or dignity. Chester spoke once more, his disembodied voice booming, "According to documents obtained by New York-based super-group The Avengers, these seemingly normal families had criminal operatives placed throughout business, government, and perhaps most disturbingly, law enforcement here in California."

Another flash, and this time there came a flood of live news feeds, detailing a river of men and women being carried out of a court room, clutched at the arm by law enforcement officers both uniformed and not, and one or two men and women in costumes not easily recognised on the west coast.

"Though The Pride's true agenda remains a mystery, an exhaustive federal investigation has seen scores of corporate CEOs, high-ranking politicians, and even police officers indicted on charges ranging from racketeering to homicide.

"And while the Avengers have been instrumental in aiding in the systematic dismantlement of this shadowy cabal's far-reaching network of conspirators, they are not responsible for the defeat of The Pride themselves. That honour apparently goes to the six only children of these murderous adults, who ran away from home after witnessing their parents kill a young girl in some kind of occult ceremony.

"In the hopes of learning more about this amazing story, our own Cadie MacDunnough recently caught up with Captain America outside of City Hall."

As promised, the image transformed into a fresh live feed, following a middle-aged woman with dark hair as she pushed through a sea of bodies, her camera-man in tow, trying to get towards a towering figure as he descended the steps of the building in the background. He was muscular and powerful, projecting an aura of authority and power even over the medium of television; his star-spangled shield and blue, white, and red uniform betrayed his world-renown identity immediately.

"Captain!" Cadie called out, wrestling her way through the last line of spectators. The costumed hero looked towards her, his expression impassive but patient. "Cap, we've heard reports that one of The Pride's children may have been killed in the final confrontation with their parents."

"I can't confirm or deny, Cadie," Captain America said simply, finishing his descent.

"One source suggests that he or she may have even died in the service of The Pride. Can you--"

"We're dealing with juveniles here. If any of these young men and women committed any crimes, those records will remain sealed until a judge decides otherwise."

But Cadie persisted, leaning forwards so that she could place her microphone as close to the Avenger as she could manage. "The can you comment on their acts of heroism? By all accounts, these teenagers single-handedly toppled an empire of--"

"I'm not going to condone acts of vigilantism by minors. If children have reason to believe their guardians are involved with illegal activities, they should not take the law into their own hands."

"But Captain, wasn't your first sidekick an underage hero?"

Silence, momentary but apparent. Evidently Cadie's question had struck a nerve. Captain America composed himself and then turned towards the reporter, saying clearly and patiently, "The only thing your viewers need to know is that these runaways have been placed in stable new environments. They're safe now.

"And this story is over."

------------------------------

Eddie Wayling took a step back from the shop window, finally tearing his gaze away from the television set that was mounted upon a display platform. The news caster, Chester Biloxi, was now the prime focus of the cameras, and he had -- almost reluctantly -- moved on to other items on the news list. There was nothing left to hear.

The teenager glanced skywards, frowning despite himself as he considered the sun overhead, glowering down upon them all, it's mantle a proud orange with stains of blood-red. It was warm and sunny again -- it seemed to always be warm and sunny here. Just another thing he'd have to get used to out here on the west coast.

Cars whipped back and forth along the main road, and Eddie readjusted the straps of his backpack and started down the sidewalk, feeling the warmth of the sun catch him across the back of the neck. He stretched out his arms, taking care to avoid colliding with any of the many men and women who were walking past him.

And then he stopped, and peered towards his watch. His brow furrowed: he was late. He had promised his uncle that he'd be back in time today, and, once again, he was late. He groaned and looked around him, momentarily glancing towards the alleyways and other secluded spots -- anywhere that he could change and get home the quickest way he knew.

No, he couldn't go home like that, he decided: he was still new to LA. It took him long enough to find his way back on foot, let alone in the air. Everything looked the same to him, despite having spent time in New York. If he wanted to get home in time, he'd have to--

A bus came rolling around the corner, screeching to a halt at the nearest stop. A collection of elderly women descended, and then a young man clambered up the stairs in their wake. Eddie grunted and began sprinting towards the vehicle, waving his arms in an attempt to get the driver's attention. His effort paid off and he reached the doors just as they were about to close; he pushed his way through them, shoved some money towards the impatient looking driver, and then turned towards the rows of seats.

None were available. No, wait, there was one left, towards the back besides the boy who had just gotten on. Eddie started towards him slowly, ignoring the glances that those to either side of him offered as he accidenly brushed against them. When he came to the side of the seat he peered down at the other boy, and then gestured to the only available seat. The boy nodded, and Eddie sat down.

--------------------------------------------------

Editor's Note: Okay, here's the Briefing!

In case it needs saying, the boy that Eddie has sat next to is Evan. The bus is packed, and you're the only teenagers on it. Whether you enter into conversation or not, I'm going to give you both a chance to post before I put something else up.

I'm going to give you both the freedom to detail what you were both doing prior to this point, which'll give you a means of adding more fluff to your first posts. You could have been practising with your powers, handling any of the many problems inherent to teenage life, or just doing school work. It's up to you -- so long as it's not solving major crime (you're inexperienced) and you end up where I've put you, it's entirely your choice. Though I would like to get each character's opinions on the local news (either through inner-monologues or talks with one another).

Eddie: sorry to take control of your character, but I needed a puppet to get the game moving.

Any questions, send them my way. Game on!

Last edited by Shakespeare; 17th of May, 2010 at 19:41.
Unread 13th of May, 2010, 23:49
Haraphen
Ghoul

Member: #7958
“Wow.” Eddie muttered to himself at the sight of the avengers leader on the screen. “Captain America in LA. I guess these pride guys were serious business.”

He scratched the back of his head contemplating. ‘It's weird. I know i haven't been here long but you’d think someone would notice super villains.’ He began to walk away from the TV. A rucksack slung over one shoulder, bobbing in rhythm as he walked.

That with the sound of his baggy trousers scuffing the ground made an interesting rhythmic sound. ‘I guess the bag guys are different here too. Like the weather.’ His shoulders sagged and he let out one long sigh. “I’m never going to get used to so much sun.”[/b]

Eddie glanced at his watch and realized the time. He had got distracted on the way back from the library. He had been doing some extra study for his science lessons. he always had problems with science. After minor wayward thought towards taking the ‘high road’ home he decided against it and praised his luck for the appearance of a bus.

He was lucky to have made it sprinting the distance and only barely making the closing door. He was greeted by the scowl of the bus driver. ‘Aww man not this guy.’ The elderly bus driver hated kids which was anyone who was younger then himself. eddie just threw some change the drivers way gave him a smile and a salute and jogged down the bus.

He snaked his way between peoples bags and out stretched arms towards the only available seat he could see. He looked at the boy sitting by the spare seat and gestured towards it. When he got a nod of approval Eddie dumped himself down onto the seat. He sipped one of the large books out of his bag and began to fan himself with it.

Eddie groaned slightly as his self fanning seemed to not work in the cramped bus. “I cant stand so much sun.” He stopped fanning and looked like he only just remembered something. he gave the boy a little wave with his book. ”I’m Eddie by the way. who are you?”
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 00:17
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Member: #7768
OOC: I'm going to take it up just after the events of my Sample Post, with Evan taking the bus back to his car rather than risk bumping into more gangsters, if that's alright with you.

Evan noticed the kid as he sat down, and tried to still his shaking nerves. He was shivering despite the heat, but he tried not to notice the murmurs of the adults nearby, whispering words like 'drugs,' and 'our society is falling apart.'

Not that Evan blamed them. Were he watching someone sweating profusely while shivering like he was, he'd think they were a druggie loser, too. All told, his first real fight - sparring didn't count, they wore pads - had gone about as well as possible - he'd won against two Kings, but wasn't hurt at all. Then he remembered the flashing of the knife as it thrust at him with a fresh batch of shivers. It could have been worse. He wiped his face with his hands, taking a few deep breaths as the kid sat down to bring himself back under control.

A middle aged man on the bus and the woman next to him were discussing the story that dominated the news these days - The Pride and their fall. It was their kids' actions that had brought him out into Watts in the first place. If they could stand up to their famous, but criminal parents, then he needed to be just as brave. What was that famous saying of Spider-Man's, again? - With Great Power comes Great Responsibility? Evan hadn't understood that, much, until... it.

Evan had steeled his nerves as he thought about the Superheroes of the world. None of them were afraid of knives, either, because they could do things normal humans couldn't. Other Evan... yeah, Yet Another Evan was right, those names didn't work at all... had been there to block the knife. And he'd be there when the next knife came, too.

Evan confidently held out his left hand to the kid as he sat down. "Hey. I'm Evan." ...and I'm a One Man Gang, he continued to himself.

No, that was stupid, too. Couldn't he have gotten a more obvious power, like Storm, or even Magneto? Just what he needed, more stress.

At the kid, Eddie's, obvious discomfort with the heat, Evan couldn't help but crack a smile. "Come on, now. It's a dry heat, at least. It's not so bad." He recognized the book Eddie held in his hand, "Chemistry, huh? What school do you go to?"

To the Arena! To the Death!

Last edited by Krypton; 14th of May, 2010 at 00:24.
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 00:51
Haraphen
Ghoul

Eddie restrained himself from looking to worried at Evan’s condition. He also heard people mutterings, suspecting him of drugs. But back home He’d seen loads of people look like that not all of them druggies some of them just, shaken, in some way. “Hey, Im a New Yorker born and bred. I’m used to rain and fog.” He shook the boys offered hand then slipped the book back into his bag.

The guy seemed alright about his own age. His uncle Jeff had pushed him to try and meet new people. But when Eddie asked him where most kids his age hung out his uncle had already fallen back into a drunken sleep. Maybe taking suggestions from him weren't such a good idea but then again what other options did he have?

“I go to the high-school formally known as Wilder. i don’t know what its called now. What with all this The Pride business I et the school will change its name in a heart beat.” Eddie leaned his head back against the bar of the seat he was on staring at the roof. “What about you? where do you go to expose yourself to bullies and jocks?”
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 01:10
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Evan took his hand back, and struggled through Eddie's New York accent. "Wilder, huh? Yeah, I bet they'll change the name - but maybe not. After all, one of those kids who stopped the Pride must be a Wilder, too, if they were the Pride's kids."

Evan smirked a little before he continued. "I go to Stark. You know, the school that beats you up and down the football field every year? Or maybe you don't. You new to the Permanent Vacation?"

Evan took a moment and studied the kid (OOC: The thread Preview basically lets you see the physical stats and that's it - I hope you don't mind that I know how tall you are!). He was short, real short. The sort who had to worry about bullies at any school, through no fault of his own. Evan wasn't tall, a little over average, but he still thought he'd probably be a head taller than the kid when they stood up.

Last edited by Krypton; 14th of May, 2010 at 01:19.
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 01:23
Haraphen
Ghoul

Eddie gave a half shrug from his awkward sitting position. “I’m fairly new. I was sent her fresh prince of bel-air style by my mum.” he pulled a bitter face as he puts on a raspy witch like voice. “New York’s too dangerous Edward. You’ll be safer with you’re uncle Edward. There are no super villains in Hollywood Edward.”

Edward let out a rolling chuckle and hand to lean forward as he held in the need to laugh. ”So much for that huh? Not only are there super villains but they ran my school. Now for all i know its going to get closed down dude to lack of funding.” He continued to laugh for a little while then sighed when the giggles finally left him. ”The world’s kinda funny like that.”

”Oh and even though I’m new to town everyone knows Stark high jocks are ‘roid head while Wilder are pure natural muscle.” He repeated the overly used excuse for why the Wilder football team always lost. The statement was drizzled in irony. Eddie had those words drilled into him by every jock who felt the need to defend there bad football skills.
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 02:18
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

The bus snaked away from the pavement, weaving into the lanes of traffic as the doors shut with a snap-hiss. Overhead birds soared high, their wings beating beneath the rays of the sun; winds were present, pleasingly light and refreshing. A window, open half-way down the bus, scooped up a handful of the breeze as the bus gathered speed, and it buffeted the hairline and faces of all present.

Life outside the vehicle was fluid and ever in motion, with couples wandering about, conducting their business for the day; children, where they were seen, were peering into shop windows or pointing towards the clouds overhead, which had bloomed in a mere matter of hours. There was an air of excitement about them all, even if everyone pretended that everything was normal -- the news, the reality of what had happened in this city only recently, was evidently still fresh in their minds.

As Eddie turned to respond to Evan, he felt a chill rocket up his spine that had nothing to do with the wind. It was a chill that he had only recently become accustomed to, but even in so short a time he already knew that it meant trouble.

Gunshots. Three in rapid succession, and the screech of tires upon the road. Horns bleeted uselessly and the bus driver swore in surprise and horror. The sensation now thundered through Eddie's whole body, and, as one, he and Evan peered down the aisle of the bus and out of the front window.

A car, dark blue and alive with fresh dents and smoke, was weaving at a nightmarish speed through the lanes of traffic, narrowly dodging oncoming vehicles as it sped away from three police vehicles, their lights flashing and their sirens screeching. A man was leaning out of the fleeing car's window, blasting away at his pursuers with a pistol.

Screaming curses at the police, the maniac behind the wheel failed to notice the bus coming straight towards him. Both he and the bus driver let forth a roar of terror as the vehicles met on the highway.

Editor's Note: Okay, we're now entering Panel/Page timings, so we're acting on order of Agility (highest to lowest). This means that Eddie gets to act first, and then Evan.

Neither of you have enough time to perform any Actions this Page (the vehicle is too close), but you're both aware of the fact that the car and bus are about to collide, so I'm going to allow you both the chance to allocate Energy to Defence (up to your Acrobatics, Agility, or Durability Number, plus Modifiers, if you have any). Post your reactions to the events above, right up to the collision, and then let me know how many Stones you've allocated.

Eddie, I'll send you a PM just prior to posting my next message, giving you the chance to re-allocate some of your Stones (if desired).

Last edited by Shakespeare; 17th of May, 2010 at 19:42.
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 06:22
Haraphen
Ghoul

That cold clenching sensation snaked up Eddie’s back and made him gasp slightly from surprise. ‘Here? Now?’ He peered around trying to find the cause of it by not look to suspicious. It wasn't until his eyes met the front windscreen and the on coming car when the slight shiver up his spine became a hot heavy thumping inside his head. He had no time to react. His head snapped to Evan and then again to the incoming car. It was too close now. Eddies hands snapped out by there own volition grasping onto the seat behind him and the seat in front preparing for impact.

(OOC: OK I’m putting 4 stones into my defense visa acrobatics. That ontop of my reflexive dodge means i should get defense of 7 hope thats enough)

Last edited by Haraphen; 14th of May, 2010 at 06:27.
Unread 14th of May, 2010, 08:33
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Evan was looking over at his fellow bus passenger when he saw the kid straighten up in shock. Hearing the gunshots, he looked towards the noise and saw the car racing down the wrong way of the road, headed for the bus head-on.

Oddly enough, his thoughts were clear as the collision loomed. The car and the bus were going to collide, but that was similar to a raft hitting a rock in the rapids. Instinct told him to jump out the window, but that didn't work in rapids and certainly wouldn't work on a road out of a moving bus in traffic. What you did was hunker down, getting as low and protected as possible.

He slipped off his seat, curling up in a ball below it.

(OOC: 4 Stones into my defense via Endurance, please.)
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 06:50
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Everything began to slow around the teenagers as they prepared for impact. Or, at least, that's how it seemed. The blare of the traffic and the shouts of pedestrians seemed to warp and become inaudible against the sound of the blood pounding through their ears, their hearts racing.

And then came the impact, and a shockwave rocketted through the entirity of the vehicle with unforgiving force. Passengers screamed as they were propelled forwards, tossed aside like weightless dolls as they crashed into glass and metal, one or two skidding across the floor as the bus lurched, twisted, and then fell upon its side. Metal shrieked and sparked as it slithered upon the asphalt, kicking up debris and knocking aside cars and trucks that had the misfortune to be in the way.

Eddie was saved by his instincts, his hands and legs folding about the bars as he absorbed the shock throughout his form. He felt numb, his jaw snapping together with enough force to rattle his teeth, but besides a twinge in his shoulder he was unharmed. His eyes, which until then had been clamped shut, fluttered open, and he found himself pressed against the cracked window that had, moments ago, flanked his seat.

A cough, spluttered and aching, echoed behind him. Evan was snapped up against the ruined seat opposite, where he had been thrown by the impact. His brow supported a nasty cut, but besides his grimacing expression he betrayed no sign of having been harmed.

But that was more than what could be said of the other passengers -- all around them, occupants of the vehicle lay still, either unconscious or dead. Everything around them was quiet, save for the wailing of the sirens somewhere outside...

Someone coughed. Both teenagers looked up and, against the backdrop of the ruined metal carcass, there lay the driver, whose clothes were in disarray, his arm broken and his body limp. He was conscious -- that much was clear from his groans -- but he didn't seem capable of moving out of his chair. A more active assessment revealed that he had been pinned.

Gunshots from outside. Both teenagers flinched instinctively. Suddenly the doors to the bus, which now sat atop the ruined vehicle, snapped inwards, and a man dropped inside, snarling in pain as he gathered himself together. A gun smoked in his hand, and his eyes were narrowed as he peered cautiously out of the window towards the police cars outside.

It was the man from the blue car. The man the police had been chasing.

"Come out with your hands in the air!" cried a voice from outside. The tone and volume suggested that it came from a speaker phone.

"Drop dead pigs!" the man bellowed back, snarling as he smacked the window sill with his weapon. "This one's for The Pride!" He turned rapidly, and his eyes snapped upon the driver, who twisted away in fear.

"I've got a hostage," the criminal yelled out frantically, thrusting his gun angrily in the man's direction, "and I won't hesitate to blow his damn head off!"

Editor's Note: The crash and your Defences against it was a whole Page, which means that you both get to regenerate the stones you used. This should bring you both up to your totals again.

Resistance for the crash was 7 stones, which means that Eddie only just scrapped through, whilst Evan missed the mark by 3 stones. As such, he loses 1 White Stone.

The criminal doesn't seem to have noticed either of you, which means you both get a chance to act before him. Thus the combat turn goes Eddie, Evan, and then the gentleman with the gun. Both of you can perform 2 Actions (not including reallocating any stones to Defence). The chairs are good for a +1 Situational Modifier to Defences, too, if you make use of them.

Any questions, send them my way.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 17th of May, 2010 at 19:43.
Unread 15th of May, 2010, 19:20
Haraphen
Ghoul

Eddie opened his eye slowly and was releaved that he was mostly intact. 'Ok i ache like hell but im alive. Did i bite my tounge? Lame.' It was then he finaly saw te carnage around him. Broken bodies. rgoans of pain. Some bodies liflessly still. What happened slowly came back to him the bus, the car crash, Evan. Evan! he rubbernecked around to fins evan behind him mostly unhurt. 'Thats a relief.' Eddie was about to move towards Evan when the buss doors opened and down dropped the armed man. He looked unharmed. Whene everyone else was hurt. And some were dead. All his fault.

As the rage built up in Eddie's chest a familiar feeling came over him. A cool sensation as if tar was being spread all over his body. To those who were still conciose it looked similar to that. shiny black slivered over his body covering his clothers and his head till he looked like a living shadow. Then from under the tar white lines apeared. Creating eyes with lines leading down hsi head and neck to become the legs of an angular spider on his chest.

He clenched his fists as he spoke up to the gunman, "You picked on the wrong public transit service." both fists whipped out and webbing shot from the top of his wrists heading straight for the assailant.

((OOC: this is what the costume looks like btw: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs42/f/20...t_by_fason.jpg

Im going to put. 5 stones of energy and put them into ranged attack and 2 stones from webslingers so 7 stones for my attack. and ill leave my defense with my reflexive defence of 3))
Unread 16th of May, 2010, 02:05
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

"I've got a hostage, and I won't hesitate to blow his goddamn head off!" The shouting jolted Evan back to the situation, and out of the full-body ache that he felt. A hostage? Eddie!

He put his hands on the ground, his face determined. As he stood up, two replicas of his thin build stood beside him, identical looks upon their identical faces. He heard the bus driver cough, near the front of the bus.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a man stand up, wrapped in a black substance that something in the back of his mind recognized, but couldn't name. The man threw his hands forward with a shout that sounded inhuman "You picked on the wrong public transit service." The substance flowed out at his throw, and darted at the man.

Evan dashed up the bus's middle, one of his replicas - Other Evan - out ahead, taking off with an exuberant holler. Other Evan leaped into the air with a flying side-thrust kick intended at taking the gunman in the chest, reckless for his own safety.

Evan and the last duplicate ran to the bus driver, straining together to get him free.

(OOC: 'Other Evan' [maybe best referred to as the 1st duplicate or 'Two'] puts 2 stones into his close combat, with 2 stones of STR for 4 stones.

Evan and 3 are going to put 2 stones of STR each to bend back whatever's pinning the bus driver. All three of them's defense is reliant on the Kevlar jumpsuit, for 1 stone)

Last edited by Krypton; 17th of May, 2010 at 04:19.
Unread 16th of May, 2010, 20:25
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Eddie's cry echoed through the wreckage with more potency than seemed normal, causing both the gunman and the bus driver to turn towards the noise. The gunman's eyes widened in shock at the sight of the spider, and his mouth dropped as he watched the approach of three identical teenagers, each one sporting the same expression of anger and determination as one another.

"What the--!?" The gunman lifted his sidearm and levelled it in the direction of his surprise attackers, but before he could squeeze a shot off a thick wad of webbing caught him in one eye, causing him to jerk reflexively as a bullet thundered out of the barrel of the gun. It rushed down the length of the bus, whizzing past the Evans towards Eddie.

Eddie felt a rush of cold air and hard metal. He glanced quickly down at his arm, and noticed how the black substance had begun to repair the rip that the bullet had tore into it. The flesh beneath was unmarred, but it had been a close thing.

Of the Evans, it was 'Two' who reached the front of the bus first. The teenager's bellowed warcry preluded his jumping kick, which caught the gunman full on in the chest, throwing him back against the bus's front window, causing the already cracked surface to shatter in a shower of glass. He grunted in pain, his gun hand raising feebly towards Two, the other scrapping madly at the webbing that obscured half of his gaze.

The bus driver was groaning quietly, his expression caught between the onset of unconsciousness and the pain of his injuries. His chest was pinned by a section of the roof which had been caved in by the impact -- it was wedged tightly, its sharp edge tearing the fabric of his uniform and biting into his skin. He blinked back tears as Evan and 'Three' reached him, and tried feebly to reach out towards them with his broken arm, whispering, "Help me..."

They grabbed the metal as one and began lifting. The metal creaked and groaned loudly as it, very slowly, began to bend at the center, pivoting upwards and away from the bus driver, who sighed with obvious relief before unconsciousness finally took him.

----------------------------------------

Editor's Note: Okay, that's another Page down.

The gunman has been partially blinded, which will act as a Situational Modifier for him. His one attack against Eddie was 4 stones, which would have hit if it wasn't for the +1 Situational Modifier that was given for the chairs. Instead the bullet scraped past him, cuffing the suit instead of breaking flesh.

Evan and Three have managed to lift the metal off of the bus driver, meaning that they're now free to move him if they want to. Two's attack against the gunman beat his Defence by 2 stones, meaning that his Health drops by 1.

Each character recovers 1 Red Stone per White Stone of health they have for every Panel that passed (ignoring their own Panel). All of the Evans act on the same Panel. So, Eddie recovers 8 Energy Stones; the Evans recover 6 each (since their Health dropped by 1 in the crash). If my math is right, this means that you're all back up to your maximums in Energy.

A new Page is up, going in the same order as before. Any questions, send them my way.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 17th of May, 2010 at 19:43.
Unread 17th of May, 2010, 22:34
Haraphen
Ghoul

'Oh good Evans ok.' Crossed Eddie's mind followed by 'and Evan...and Evan? What the..' but his thoughts were cut off as the bullet scrapped his arm. The guy still had the gun and in this small space was a huge danger "Dammit! Lets take this outside." Eddie hopped into the air and whipped two weblines onto the windscreen eitherside of the gunman. And with one inhumanly stong tug on the webs Eddie hurtlled forward his body curled up as a ball.

As he reached the gunman he bellowed "Boot to the head!" as he thrust both legs out attempting to kick the thug and send them both crashing threw the windscreen.

((OOC: ok Im gonna put 3 stones into webslinging in order to get eddie upclose to the gunman, then 5 stones into close combat to try and get the guy out of the bus via the windscreen, and lastly put 2 into defense (close combat) (which increases to 5 stones because of Reflexive Dodge). That's 10 stones overall.))

Last edited by Haraphen; 17th of May, 2010 at 22:59.
Unread 18th of May, 2010, 01:55
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Evan ducked under the webbing, his head shocked as he looked at the black creature soaring up the bus. "What the...?" Venom? Here?!

Evan panicked at the sight of Spider-Man's notorious enemy. 'Three' looked over at him, his eyes just as wide as his own. "Let's get out of here," the clone shouted, his ears ringing from the gunshot. Together, they lifted the bus driver up between them and tried to exit the bus.

'Two', however, was living in the moment. As the man tried to bring the gun back around, he punched him straight in his gun-toting face.

((OOC:'Two' puts 2 stones into close combat, which increases to 4 with his strength bonus. His defense has 1 stone because of the Kevlar suit.))
Unread 18th of May, 2010, 02:17
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Editor's Note: Before I post Krypton, I need to know how much Energy Evan and Three are commiting to moving the bus driver -- seems trivial, but won't be if you get attacked in the next Panel, and thus need to know your Energy reserves.

Also, I think you misunderstand the concept of Ability Bonuses. You don't get a number of free stones in your Action if an Action receives an Ability Bonus; rather, it increases the maximum number of stones you can put into your Action by that amount.

So, say, if you have Close Combat 2 without Strength Bonus, you can only spend 2 stones; if you have the Strength Bonus (and a Strength of 2), you can spend upto 4 stones.
Unread 18th of May, 2010, 03:04
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

(OOC: Ah. Evan and Three will use their STR to the full, so two stones each. Also, I knew something was strange about the way I was setting that up - new system and all, and not having the book open. Me = idiot.)
Unread 18th of May, 2010, 03:19
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

The gunman snarled in anger as he continued to battle with the webbing on his face which, despite his best efforts, refused to dislodge itself from his brow. He pushed away from the shattered window pane, shards of glass dropping from atop his shoulders and coat as he levelled his gun in Two's direction, his one eye wide in anger and excitement. Before he could pull the trigger, however, Eddie's cry caused him to look away; he opened his mouth to curse as the black costumed superhero flew through the air, and caught the gunman double-barrelled in the face. The force of the strike carried both him and the spider out through the window and onto the asphalt beyond.

But not before the trigger was squeezed on the gun. A bullet snaked out of the weapon before contact was made, and the ammo crashed into Two's shoulder as he swung his fist, jabbing the air where, moments before, the gunman had been standing. The bullet sent a shockwave thundering throughout his body -- a pain that would have been much more potent if the duplicate hadn't been wearing his armour.

As Two fought to keep his balance, Evan and Three traded the weight of the unconscious bus driver between them, trying to juggle his limbs as they directed him towards the open doors on the roof of the wreckage. The struggle was momentary despite the awkwardness of the task, and the unconscious driver slumped against the bus's exterior as they forced him upwards with one final push.

Meanwhile, outside of the bus, the police were gathering around the bonnets of their cars, weapons in hands, all of which were trained upon Eddie as he lay crouched over the groaning body of the gunman. One or two of them swore outloud, and a few fidgetted with their weapons, giving off a momentary impression that they were fighting the urge to fire at Eddie without risking a delay. But the man in charge -- the one sporting the speaker phone -- thrust a finger towards Eddie, and said clearly and authoratively, "Stay where you are. Put your hands in the air."

---------------------------------------

Editor's Note
: No worries Krypton, we're all new to this system. I assumed that that means you were using 4 stones for the attack, and Evan and Three were relying solely on the Kevlar for Defence.

The gunman, knowing that he's being overpowered here, dedicated 2 of his stones to Defence via his Close Combat Action; his attack against Two, after the Situational Modifier has been applied for the webbing in his eye, comes to 3 stones, which means that he beats the duplicate's Defence by 2 stones (and drops the duplicate's Health stones to 2). Eddie's attack beats the gunman's Defence by 3, so he loses another stone of Health.

Because Eddie acts before Two in the initiative order, his attack carries the gunman out of the window before Two can make contact which his attack (and so Two's swing goes wide). Evan and Three, however, are more successful in their endeavours, having managed to push the bus driver up and out of the open door in the ceiling. I'll leave Kryton to decide whether the two Evans clamber out of the bus with their charge, or whether they just push him up on his own and remain inside.

That's the end of another Page, which means that everyone regenerates for each Panel: Eddie recovers 8 Energy, Evan recovers 6 Energy, Two recovers 4 Energy, and Three recovers 6 Energy.

As always, send questions my way.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 18th of May, 2010 at 03:59.
Unread 18th of May, 2010, 04:31
Haraphen
Ghoul

"Boo ya that was awesome!" Eddie bellowed as he stood up straight arms raised in triumph. It wasnt till he hear'd the clicking of gun's being leveled at him. He turned slowly, arms still raised in the air, and faced the line of cops. "S*!t. He muttered under his breath. 'What do i do now? Do other hero's have to deal with this?' He turned a head a head to look at the bus adn saw Evan had succesfully helpd the bus driver. 'Well i guess theres no reason to stay. Good luck evan.'

"There are some injuried perople in the bus. And yuor'e welcome for him." Eddie dived sideway landing on his hands then hand spung into the air let out a webline. "Oh and the names Toxin B-T-W" He swung up towards the nearest rooftop, trying to get out of sight.

((OOC: Im going to put 4 stones into websling and 4 stones into defence via acrobatics which, with Reflexive Dodge, gives me a total of 7 stones.))

Last edited by Haraphen; 18th of May, 2010 at 04:34.
Unread 18th of May, 2010, 05:52
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Two turned away from the window, roaring with pain, but a wild smile on his face nonetheless. He looked over to Evan, whose heart was racing a mile a minute, now that the gunman was taken away by... Eddie?... the gravity of what had just happened was crashing home with a vengeance.

The man had had a gun, and Evan had ran towards him! Two had kicked him right in the chest, and then gotten himself shot.

"You always bring me to the best places, Evan." Two's shoulder hung limp - Kevlar bodysuit had stopped the bullet, but he was obviously in an enormous amount of pain. Apparently the adrenaline still flowed, dulling his pain sense. Three looked at his wounded fellow duplicate, dumbfounded into silence.

Evan understood exactly what was going through Three's mind. It could very easily have been him with the wound, or a worse wound. Luckily he'd been out and ready for a fight, and had the Kevlar suit on. Guns. This just got real.

He turned towards Three, whose hands were already interlocked in a brace to help Evan up through the door where they'd pushed the bus driver. As Evan clambered up and through the door, Three looked around the bus for anyone else who looked like they needed help.

Two looked out over the front of the bus towards where the criminal had been driven out the windshield. The cops were locked and loaded, and looked jumpy enough to shoot at anyone who came out of the bus. He promptly ducked back out of view, favoring his shoulder.

"There are some injured people in the bus. And you're welcome for him." The Symbiote who'd driven the criminal out that same windshield was talking to the police officers. "Oh and the names Toxin B-T-W."

All three Evans paused. Toxin? That was a much better name than anything Evan had come up with yet. Evan and Two watched Toxin soar away, propelled by his weblike symbiotic fluids.

(OOC: Three uses 2 stones of STR to lift Evan up to the doorway of the bus. He also uses... Intelligence to look around the bus? 2 stones? 4 stones used 3/4 WS, 8/12 RS remaining. Evan uses 2 stones of STR to pull himself up. 3/4 WS, 10/12 RS remaining. Two does exactly nothing, unless you count hiding behind whatever remains of the front of the bus. 2/4 WS, 12/12(12) RS)

Last edited by Krypton; 18th of May, 2010 at 06:41. Reason: Stones fixed
Unread 19th of May, 2010, 17:06
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

Toxin knew, even before the tingling sensation overwhelmed his body, that the police would open fire -- some of them were too unnerved by his appearance, by the firefight before and the groaning gunman who lay half-conscious between his feet. So when he catapulted himself into the air, he was ready for the hail of bullets, which were sent his way by at least five of the boys in blue; his body twisted and danced as he swung, weaving through the flurry of metal as he ascended up and over the rooftops and out of sight.

"--I said hold your fire, damn it!" the police officer with the speaker phone bellowed, finally managing to make himself heard. The few cops who had been too rattled by Toxin's appearance to do anything now looked to him for guidance.

"You three, move in an apprehend that dirt bag," the speaker phone wielding officer said, thrusting a finger aggressively towards the gunman as he struggled to sit up, his nose trickling blood from beneath the mound of webbing that still clung rebelliously to his face. The cops did as they were told, rushing forwards to ensnare and handcuff him before he could gather his senses.

When Evan appeared atop the bus besides the limp form of the bus driver, focus shifted dramatically to him. Guns and gazes locked upon him as he was given radical assessment by those on the ground. In the end they seemed to settle on him being a victim of the crash, because the man with the speaker phone said, "Are you injured? Stay where you are until we can move you to an ambulance."

As though on cue, a duo of uniformed EMTs arrived at the barrier of police cars, sporting a stretcher and bag of medical supplies. They were joined by others as more ambulances pulled up on the scene, their doors being thrown open eagerly as the staff jumped out from inside. The first two medics pushed towards the wreckage, summoning a few police officers to help them with an impatient wave of their hands.

"Get me up there," the first medic said. Evan caught a good glimpse of her as she lifted herself up atop the bus -- she was young, maybe only a few years his senior, with a pretty face and dirty blonde hair, tied back in a pony-tail. When she had her balance she looked at him directly, assessing him in a flash with a trained eye; then she moved to the bus driver, checking him before she said to Evan, "Help me move him -- gently -- over there." She tossed a thumb in the direction of her partner on the ground, and then took up his legs.

With the obvious threat detained, the other members of the police split themselves between two major duties: disuading the rapidly amassing public from getting any closer to the scene than they already were, and moving towards the wreckage to see whether Toxin's promise of more casualties held any weight.

Three, still tucked out of sight within the wreckage alongside his duplicate, knew already what they'd find: the occupants of the packed bus were littered all over the place, discarded haphazardly across the side-turned-floor of the bus, across the broken seats, and slumped against the metal poles. Some still showed signs of breathing whilst others... they were still. One man -- the closest to the duplicates -- was obviously dead, for his neck was bent at an unnatural angle, and his expression hadn't rid itself of the mask of horror it had been wearing when the bus and the car had collided.

The sound of gravel crunching underfoot snapped Three out of his reverie. He peered towards Two, who was watching anxiously as the cops made ground on the wreckage -- they didn't have long before they'd be seen. But was that even an issue right now, with so many people in need of help? He could help...

-----------------------------------------

Editor's Note: Sorry this wasn't up yesterday. Got hooked into doing some jobs in the morning, and then had to rush into work in the evening.

Of the attacks against Toxin, the highest scored 5 stones, which misses the wall-crawler by a margin of 2. Combat ends with the resolution of their attacks, so we'll be returning to narrative pacing now (and both of your Energy Reserves fill back up to maximum).

The wall-crawler is atop the nearest building out-of-sight, though I assume that he hasn't left the area yet; Evan's in clear sight of the police and the medics, who are asking for his help in moving the body (no need to allocate stones for this); Two and Three haven't been seen yet, though they will be soon if nothing is done to prevent such a thing.

Any questions, you know what to do.
Unread 19th of May, 2010, 17:43
Haraphen
Ghoul

Eddie transformed back into his street clothes as soon as he landed on the roof and saw that it was clear. 'I'm just a curios kid who went onto a roof to get a better look at the crash thats all officer. Hmm that might slide.' He was a buzzing with adrenaline not only had he gotten shot at but hed also bust a criminal infront of the cops. He might get a mention in the paper. "That would be so cool" He laughed to himself but then his sensabilities kicked in. He jogged to the edge of the building, dropped down to all fours then inched his way over so he could see the wreck but only the top of his head would be visible. He saw the cops handcuffing the thug and evan had gotten the driver out of the bus. "Oh good. Glad hes ok too." but as his eyes wandered down to the bus itself from his angel he could just see the two 'other' evans inside. "Dammit." He growled to himself and lay there on the roof praying that it all worked out.
Unread 20th of May, 2010, 00:22
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Evan slipped himself under the bus driver's non-broken arm, focused on moving him over to the paramedics while jostling him as little as possible. Man. He's heavy, I could sure use some help. Where are Other Evan and Yet Another Evan when you need them? Yet he knew they were still inside the bus, hopefully helping the other people who needed them.

Evan was focused on helping the bus driver, so it was a little bit before he saw the paramedic's eyes go wide in surprise in front of him, shocked at something she saw. "What is it? I don't look that bad, do I?"

"Oh, you definitely do look that bad." The voice was familiar, identical to his own. And straight behind him, not in the bus. "Let me help you with him. Please?"

Evan went pale. Another one??

Two and Three slipped down the bus, looking to help any who were still breathing. Evan would want them to help the people. They worked well together, creepily so, perhaps, to an outside observer. Two slipped his hands under a man's shoulders, and started dragging him towards the front of the bus, the man's head held still against his chest. Three bundled a child in his arms, and followed him forward. They'd avoided anyone with an obvious head injury, since even they knew those people needed to be moved by professionals.
Unread 21st of May, 2010, 20:30
Shakespeare
Mohrg [GM]

The bus was filled with groans and sharp gasps for air, sounds which grew louder the further down the bus the duplicates progressed. Once or twice someone would reach out for them, trying to grab them, to demand that they help them. As one the duplicates began manoeuvring people towards the front of the bus -- first a man with a nasty gash on his temple and scalp, and then a child who was screaming loudly, but appeared to be -- by some miracle -- otherwise unharmed.

But atop the bus, there was a deep, potent silence. The medic's expression was one of shock and... was it fear?... and for a time she seemed to forget about the man being held in her arms. Behind her the other medic called out for her to hurry up, and his impatient tone suggested no ounce of surprise -- evidently he hadn't yet seen Evan shred a new duplicate.

And then the bus driver groaned and latched a strong hand upon the medic's wrist, stratling her back into the present. She swallowed deeply, and then began shifting the driver, watching the two Evans silently as she directed them towards the edge of the bus. Her partner, too, showed obvious shock at the sight of the Evans -- they were just too similar, too co-ordinated, to be twins, or anything other than exact copies.

But the severity of the scene was too high to allow the professionals to give into the startling sight of the Evans; they worked to carry the wounded from the wreckage, and, commendably, didn't stop and gape in wonder when Two and Three revealed themselves. Instead they lost themselves to the adrenaline brought on by the severity of the incident, and busied themselves with the trial of carrying the wounded to the ambulance.

It was only once the task was done that the hysteria of the people errupted. Some people distanced themselves from Evan the moment he neared the police barrier, having yet to decide whether he was mutant or something else entirely, but the majority of the audience were looked on with proud or bemused smiles at him for his aid in freeing the wounded.

When the excitment in the air had begun to ebb away, and the adrenaline had long since stopped pounding through his system, Evan and his duplicates found themselves standing before a powerful man with dark skin, his muscular body cloaked in an overcoat, onto which was pinned a police badge. He looked between the Evans with a raised brow, his expression masked behind a visage of neutrality.

"Okay boys, it's time we had ourselves a talk," he said, his tone professional but not aggressive. "I want to know exactly what happened on--"

"Lieutenant," interrupted a young, uniformed cop. "The press are here."

The police Lieutenant frowned, and sighed heavily. "Right. Figured they'd make an appearance... Okay boys, let's do this quickly. Tell me what happened."

----------------------------------------

Editor's Note: Just summing up this scene. Once I get a response from you both, I'll move us on.

Last edited by Shakespeare; 21st of May, 2010 at 20:33.
Unread 22nd of May, 2010, 16:19
Krypton
Devourer [GM]

Evan shrunk from the policeman's gaze, and looked over at Three, his eyes questioning. Three shook his head - they hadn't found Eddie in the bus.

"Okay boys, let's do this quickly. Tell me what happened." The Lieutenant seemed pressed for time, but Evan was still really nervous about everything that had happened - the look in the paramedic's eyes when she saw... Man. Still One More Evan?

Speak of the devil, it was Still One More Evan who spoke up. "It is quite simple, officer. There was trouble, we answered the call."

Yet Another Evan's face was priceless. "Where'd you get this guy, Evan?"

Evan gulped as he looked around at his duplicates, then back to the officer. "I'm sorry - maybe I can make this easier."

Other Evan protested vehemently, "What? You're going to claim all the credit? I didn't see you kick any badguys in the chest!"

Evan stopped before he reabsorbed them. Other Evan was right - they deserved just as much credit for this as he did. Though maybe not as much as... Toxin. Could that really have been Eddie?

"Uhh... look officer. The guy with the gun, he crashed his car into the bus. When he said he had a hostage, I knew I... we had to help. We charged him, and, uh...

The fourth Evan, Still One More filled in the gap, "the Warrior..."

"Yeah, he kicked the guy into the window. Then, ... Toxin? Yeah, he threw some of the black stuff in the guy's face, while me and..." Evan was struggling to call the duplicates anything, really. Again, Still One More Evan filled in the pause.

"The Councilor"

Evan gave the newest duplicate a strange look, but continued, "While we helped get the bus driver out of the bus. And then Toxin threw some of his web in the guy's face, and then the guy shot, er... the Warrior, in his shoulder. Then Toxin knocked him through the window, and we got the bus driver out. Then, the paramedics came, and this one helped me lift the bus driver down to them."

Still One More Evan spoke up. "I am the Diplomat, Evan."

Evan paled even more. If he'd known the duplicates were going to act this way, he'd have just absorbed them. Why couldn't he have just gotten a suit, or a magic shield, instead of duplicates who were all a different form of crazy?

Evan fidgeted when he saw the press looking over at him as he talked to the policeman. "Listen, can I go? I'm kind of supposed to be home soon."