Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Uncognitive Cackling

Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 01:20
Gralhruk
Ghost of ORP Past [Epic Admin]

User is online!

Member: #13
I saw The Hobbit movie and . . . [spoilers within]

I was going to reply to this in Spotlight but then I thought it deserved a thread all by itself:

“ Originally Posted by Linklegacy77 Finally saw the Hobbit, I thought it was fantastic. I had a huge grin on my face for the entire film. ”
“ Originally Posted by itches It doesn't feel like it drags? Also that it's only half the book isn't a problem? ”
“ Originally Posted by Linklegacy77 I'm completely okay with it being a trilogy, and that doesn't bother me. Yeah, the Azog stuff wasn't in the book at all, but adding it didn't feel like it didn't work to me, and added some more history to Thorin's character. I liked the behavior changes they made to him too, in the book he was a bit more cordial to people in general, but it worked really well for the movie the way they changed it.

It didn't feel like it dragged to me at all.
”
For my part, I enjoyed the film quite a bit - which, to be honest, I was not expecting. Overall I thought it well done, managing to blend the realistic style of the LotR movies with the general whimsy of the Hobbit book.

Thorin was always fairly haughty in the book, in my opinion, and I think they did an excellent job with him. And it was also nice to see the dwarves being hardy adventurers - Dwalin is excellent as a badass.

And actually, I hear that it will be a Trilogy, so we've two more installments. Personally, I think it would have been better in a single movie but I suppose that I'll be seeing all three so from a financial perspective it's easy to see why they are milking it.

But no, I didn't feel it dragged even if I wasn't entirely thrilled with the added material. My list of disappointments is rather small, and they did not kill my enjoyment of the film as a whole:
  • Radagast. Sorry, but I've a hard time believing this is one of the Maiar with bird shit running down his face and being generally a tool.
  • Not far away, I could do without the implication that he's tripping on mushrooms and that pipe weed is something other than tobacco.
  • Dwarves should have beards - the longer, thicker, and more elaborate the better. Three days worth of stubble doesn't count. That said, I thought they did a great job with the portrayal of the dwarves as a whole.
  • The action scenes were way too over the top. On the one hand it did contribute to the "whimsy" of the thing, but that could have been accomplished in a better fashion. I got tired of seeing impossible victories against huge masses of enemies, surviving impossible falls, and impossible luck. Also, if someone is creating a diversion (say, driving a rabbit pulled sled), it would be best if you ran off in the opposite direction so as to avoid being spotted by the people you are diverting.
  • I found Bilbo to be a little underwhelming. They could have spent some time getting us to invest in him emotionally a bit. I found myself far more interested in Thorin's journey than Bilbo's.

But anyway, as I said, none of that ruined my enjoyment of the film and I'll definitely go see the others.
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 02:01
Tashalar
Ghastly Thread Necromancer [Epic GM]

Member: #1799
Did you see it in 3D and HFR?

I only saw it in 2D (despite having a choice between 2D, 3D and 3D and HFR). Although I did read the book, I honestly don't remember much. I'm amazed at what some people remember about the books they've read. But sometimes it simply might have to do with them not having read them that long ago.

Overall I enjoyed the movie and was entertained. My expectations - which hadn't been that high - were surpassed. I did believe it was rather slow-ish at the start. PJ's reasoning that he wanted to fully develop the different characters and therefore needed to make three films out of one thin-ish book doesn't get my absolute approval.

Interesting what you're saying about the action scenes actually. Agreed that the fact that they win against overwhelming odds time and again and zero party members die is a little crazy - but how is it in the book?
... I was confused by the diversion as well. But I guess Gandalf used Radagast's diversion to find the hidden entrance and possibly it was just ill luck that it lay in the direction the other wizard headed? Uh... whatever. ;-)
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 02:54
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Alas, I'll most likely have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Les Miserables, too, though I think I'm more excited for that than The Hobbit. I'd say "strangely," but I'm too big a fan of Broadway musicals to find it truly odd.
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 03:01
Linklegacy77
Spectral Savant of the Aether. [Epic GM]

Member: #1662
I didn't like Les Miserables much Merc, sorry to say, but honestly, Russel Crowe and Hugh Jackman can't sing, and that ruined it for me.
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 03:38
Gralhruk

User is online!

“ Originally Posted by Tashalar # Did you see it in 3D and HFR?

I only saw it in 2D (despite having a choice between 2D, 3D and 3D and HFR). Although I did read the book, I honestly don't remember much. I'm amazed at what some people remember about the books they've read. But sometimes it simply might have to do with them not having read them that long ago.

Overall I enjoyed the movie and was entertained. My expectations - which hadn't been that high - were surpassed. I did believe it was rather slow-ish at the start. PJ's reasoning that he wanted to fully develop the different characters and therefore needed to make three films out of one thin-ish book doesn't get my absolute approval.

Interesting what you're saying about the action scenes actually. Agreed that the fact that they win against overwhelming odds time and again and zero party members die is a little crazy - but how is it in the book?
... I was confused by the diversion as well. But I guess Gandalf used Radagast's diversion to find the hidden entrance and possibly it was just ill luck that it lay in the direction the other wizard headed? Uh... whatever. ;-)
”
I saw it in 2D as well. It's hard for me to comment on the quality as we got to the theater early but apparently not early enough as we were forced to sit in the second row. Things looked a little choppy from that perspective but that was really just from sitting too close to the screen.

On remembering stuff . . . well, I have read the Hobbit more times than I can count (although I haven't read it in a long while). There were indeed some pretty steep odds against the dwarves in the book, and they do have their share of luck. Still, the goblin scenes in the book tend to use darkness and the confusion caused by a little of Gandalf's magic as the primary means of their escape (along with the judicious use of Orchist and Glamdring). The film cranks that up several notches, what with the bright lights, massive amounts of goblins, and crazy careening wooden platforms.

To me, the book comes across as improbable but plausible for an adventure tale. The film comes across as impossible action hero fare. But as I said, for me it accomplishes the same thing at the end of the day - it gives you the impression of a tale rather than something real. I just would have preferred the less heavy handed approach that the book takes.
Unread 3rd of January, 2013, 05:42
Marcus316
Shadow

Member: #9532
I truly enjoyed The Hobbit, though I did only see it in 2D, and I've been told by many that the 3D with HFR took away from the experience.

Full confession, I did NOT like the LOTR movies. I did make it through the first one, but fell asleep watching the 2nd and never went back. I have not seen the 3rd and don't find I have any urge to.

I find that I agree with Gralhruk concerning Radagast and concerning Bilbo. There was no need to reduce Radagast to such a state, IMO. As for Bilbo, I see a glimmer of development near the end of the movie, so I'm hoping that the character will be better in the next two.

I really enjoyed the portrayal of the dwarves, as others have mentioned.

“ Originally Posted by Linklegacy77 # I didn't like Les Miserables much Merc, sorry to say, but honestly, Russel Crowe and Hugh Jackman can't sing, and that ruined it for me. ”
I also saw Les Mis, and I was also slightly disappointed, though not enough that I did not enjoy the movie.

Other than a few key characters (Fantine, Eponine in particular) a lot of the performances felt a little flat. Amanda Seyfried (older Cosette) in particular was quite boring to watch.

Other little things I noted to myself:
- While Javert is supposed to be a bit stiff, it seems overly exaggerated in Crowe's portrayal. Unlike a lot of reviews and other people I've talked to, I actually enjoyed Crowe's Javert, but I can definitely understand whyhe's getting slammed for it.
- Hugh Jackman did a good job. Not great, but not bad. I think he wanted to make the role his own so he wouldn't be compared to previous performers (like Alfie Boe) and he only partially succeeded.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.
Unread 6th of January, 2013, 17:39
LynMars
Famine Spirit [Epic]

Member: #836
I've yet to see either Hobbit or Les Mis--my cousin keeps talking about seeing Hobbit, and then forgetting to respond to me, and my brother was broke when we wanted to see Les Mis--but really, I don't expect much from Cosette as a young woman. The love story plotline is shoehorned in to give her a reason to still be there with Valjean and make Eponine more tragic (and yes, it existed in the novel, but really, in the musical....ergh). I almost feel sorry for anyone cast as older Cosette (and in my crack-fan view of the musical, the Thenardiers swapped girls on Valjean; how would he know, really?!).
Unread 7th of January, 2013, 19:23
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
“ Radagast. Sorry, but I've a hard time believing this is one of the Maiar with bird shit running down his face and being generally a tool. ”
I find that to be in keeping with how he's described. He's meant to be fallen, having "gone native."
Unread 8th of January, 2013, 00:45
Gralhruk

User is online!

Suffice to say that I disagree.
Unread 8th of January, 2013, 09:14
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
How do you envision him?
Unread 9th of January, 2013, 00:58
Gralhruk

User is online!

Well, he's really a bit player in The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings so I don't have a terribly detailed picture in my head. However, I found the film version to be simply too goofy, frantic, and scatterbrained to be at all convincing as one of the Istari (former or otherwise).