Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Public Commonness > Adventurer's Escapades > Tournaments

Unread 28th of March, 2006, 13:34
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Member: #1477
Duel Arcana Discussion

Discussion, comments, corrections, and clarifications about all Duel Arcana matches can go here.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 13:39
Darius
The Phantom Poster [Epic GM]

Member: #1110
Seems like I've got a bit of a breather. That'll give me a chance to assess... err... enjoy the competition a bit before I have to actively compete.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 13:45
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
It looks like it'll be fun, at least. I was going to enter as a Diviner of all things, but time wouldn't allow and 3.5 really broke specialization... as the different schools are of different in-game power. Anyway, I look forward to a good tourney to view from beyond.
Unread 28th of March, 2006, 15:42
Flagg Thornington
Mohrg

Member: #952
These duels look like they'll be pretty nasty. Sorry you didn't get ready for it. I was hoping the next tournament will be 20th level or so. (With a month to prep of course...)
Unread 29th of March, 2006, 08:38
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Remember, you will be assumed to have nothing in hand unless you tell me otherwise.

Just waiting for two more messages and I will post the results from the first two rounds.
Unread 29th of March, 2006, 09:25
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Member: #1504
I knew I was forgetting something. DOH!!!!! Rasca will have his crossbow in hand(loaded if possible) and use the second round to ready to counterspell.
Unread 29th of March, 2006, 11:54
Lord Twig
Nightwing

The first three duels are up!

I almost forgot the familiars. I have edited the posts and put them in. I have assumed that they are in the same space as their master and that they are sharing all spells.
Unread 29th of March, 2006, 12:18
random_person_number_873
Ghoul

Member: #1521
OOHHH! I'm so excited.

that's all
Allow me Lord to rock out naked
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
Unread 29th of March, 2006, 12:21
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Because of area effect spells and other things I have decided that invisible characters can send me a private message for their actions. The characters' position will remain marked in the current round because their opponents know that they have not yet been able to move. In future rounds their markers will not show up on the map.
Unread 29th of March, 2006, 12:37
random_person_number_873
Ghoul

Member: #1521
I'm assuming you've already read my actions then. hehe.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 06:10
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
So, any bets on me ending my match on this turn?
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 07:00
Darken
Mohrg [GM]

Member: #1476
No, because it's not an attractive bet. TT only has 2.7% to 9% chance of survival, meaning betting that you would win will yield very low returns

Light, is the lack of darkness.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 07:53
The Hive Custodian
extends Undead, implements EECS [Epic GM]

Member: #767
Let's see... if I understand this correctly, Mr. Ficklefarm essentially has to make two out of three DC 28 saving throws at a save bonus of +11 to surivive. This means he needs a 17 or better on each roll, which is a 20% chance of succeeding, or a 80% chance of failing.

The possible outcomes:
  • , first two saving throws are made. Mr. Ficklefarm takes no damage. Probability of this is 0.2^2, or 4%.
  • , one of the first two is failed, but the rest succeed; i.e., either fail-succeed-succeed or succeed-fail-succeed. Mr. Ficklefarm takes 3d6 points of damage. Probability of this is 2 * 0.8 * 0.2^2 = 6.4%.
  • , any other result. Mr. Ficklefarm is now deceased. This covers the remaining percentage, or 89.6%.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:04
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
Actually, it's Mr. Tshu, not Mr. Ficklefarm, but I'm equally unhappy about the likely result nonetheless. So I understand what's going on better, it's a DC 28 save. Now, that spell has 2 chances to save. If I make the will save we don't get to the fort save. If I fail the fort save I die. The thing to make me reroll a made save, how does it work?

scenario 1 make the will save, re-roll it, and proceed to the fort save and have the first roll stand.
scenario 2 fail the will save, proceed to the fort save, make it, have to reroll just the fort save?
scenario 3 fail the will save, proceed to fort save, make it, have to re-roll both?

Is the DC 28 for both saves? That spell sucks. DICE DON'T FAIL ME NOW!!!
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:14
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

My own question: Does Rasca know if Casan- whatever(can't remember exactly at the moment) is to the North East or North West? Or, is she straight north of him? If he doesn't know, its ok. He'll just have to deal with it.

Last edited by generaljimX; 30th of March, 2006 at 08:18.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:25
nightinverse
Vampiric Dwarven Psychologist [Epic GM]

Member: #1101
This sounds truly horrid, this first action.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:31
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Originally Posted by generaljimX My own question: Does Rasca know if Casan- whatever(can't remember exactly at the moment) is to the North East or North West? Or, is she straight north of him? If he doesn't know, its ok. He'll just have to deal with it.
You know the general direction of Casandrella. That general direction is North. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:35
The Hive Custodian
extends Undead, implements EECS [Epic GM]

Member: #767
Originally Posted by Boomlaor Actually, it's Mr. Tshu, not Mr. Ficklefarm, but I'm equally unhappy about the likely result nonetheless.
Bleg! That'll teach me to read more carefully. In any case, this changes the probabilities to the following:
  • = 0.3^2 = 9%.
  • = 0.3 * 0.7 * 0.25 + 0.7 * 0.25^2 = 9.625%.
  • = 81.375%.
This is based on the assumption that one made save is re-rolled during the whole spell.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:35
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Ok. How about general distance away? I just want within,like, 10 feet, if you can give it to me at all. Wait, nevermind.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:37
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Phantasmal Killer is a pretty harsh spell, but it allows two chances to save and is not a death effect, which is why it is only 4th level instead of 6th or higher like most save or die spells.

BP has really pumped up his save DCs and the fickle finger of fate ability makes the whole combination nasty. I think it is worth noting that if he had prepared to counterspell his chances of living would have significantly improved.

Well, I am off to roll the dice and see what happens.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:40
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

The possible out comes are as follows:

Fail the Will Save, Fail the Fort Save: Die
Fail the Will Save, Pass the Fort Save, be forced to reroll it, Fail the Fort Save: Die
Fail the Will Save, Pass the Fort Save, be forced to reroll it, Pass the Fort Save: Live
Pass the Will Save, be forced to reroll it, Fail the Will Save, Pass the Fort Save: Live
Pass the Will Save, be forced to reroll it, Fail the Will Save, Fail the Fort Save: Die
Pass the Will Save, be forced to reroll it, Pass the Will Save: Live

The odds are thus not quite as bad as they first seem. The fact that you get two saves to negate the spell (only one of which need succeed) is how phantasmal killer gets away with being a fourth level save or die spell.

Of course, when you have every Spell DC boost possible (yes the DC 28 applies to both saves)...

Well, let's just say that I peg Tsao Tshu's chance of survival at 18.625%.

Look on the bright side though, if you make it, I can't pull this stunt again in this match.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:42
generaljimX
The Black [GM]

Was just gonna edit my last post, but LT has already posted sooo.....

Ok. Do I know if she is near, far, or in between? Or, does he know what direction she moved in?

I've got a million ideas running through my head right now, and I can't pick one. I only have a few feasable choices, but that doesn't matter. I'm learning from this, and, if Rasca lives, I can enter the next one with him.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 08:43
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Hmm... Thank you for pointing out my tactical flaw Lord Twig. I'll have to make some minor adjustments fix that in later rounds.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 09:25
Lord Twig
Nightwing

Originally Posted by Black Plauge Hmm... Thank you for pointing out my tactical flaw Lord Twig. I'll have to make some minor adjustments fix that in later rounds.
I kinda figured that that would be rather obvious since everyone else tried to counterspell.

I am also a bit surprised that more people didn't have see invisible cast ahead of time, especially considering the number of people that went invisible in the first round.

Anyway, the results are up and Tsao Tshu has paid the ultimate price. Or it would be if he wasn't just going to be raised again.

The first rounds of any contest like this quickly points out what works and what doesn't. If you compare the first rounds of the gladiator matches to the later rounds you will see that the tactics are much more polished.
Unread 30th of March, 2006, 09:37
Boomlaor
Devourer

Member: #1478
Ok, so can somone explain to this dnd newbie how the negative level from being raised works? Tsao Tshu only had just enough wizard levels to cast 4th lvl spells (monk levels were 1 and 2). Is he disqualified from the rest of the tournament now?