Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Erendiox's Games > A New Age

Unread 27th of February, 2012, 17:00
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Member: #2929
Um...just letting folk know I've got a bit of writer's block. I hope you're not waiting for me, but if you are just letting you guys know you should move forward with SW/Flicker's part of the plot (Ellana's had a lot of screen time anyway).

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 28th of February, 2012, 09:53
Sparda219
Ghoul

Member: #389
Ellana's scenes have been great so far, anyway, so I haven't been bothered. If anyone has a right to a little writer's block it's you. I'm really happy for all your recent success!
Unread 28th of February, 2012, 16:09
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Oh well, thank you. I've only managed to sell 4 copies so far, but I hope once word gets out sales will pick up.

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 2nd of March, 2012, 14:26
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Member: #672
Originally Posted by Sparda219 # A point of curiosity, Erendiox~ Since the 2.5 Exalted Errata is coming out very soon will we be using it? Seems like they're addressing a lot of issues, especially considering perfect overuse in combat, mental influence, social combat and the Sidereals as a whole to make them more... well, more playable period. ^^;;

http://forums.white-wolf.com/default...=posts&t=57878
Well peanut has been pushing for ink monkey material, and that also brings along all the new revisions and such. I'm still stuck in the old school myself and tend to stay with the original corebooks. If you folks would like to incorporate all the new errata and revisions that are coming, then I will be happy to adopt them.
Unread 2nd of March, 2012, 16:59
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

I am actually going to suggest that we deal with any errata material on a case by case basis. We've already had one incident with errata material causing strife and I'd prefer not to open the possibility of another. We're a small enough quarrum where it is possible to do this and while I know at least 40% of us love ink monkeys, I feel that not all their choices will fit the type of game we want to play.

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 2nd of March, 2012, 18:21
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Member: #431
The 2.5 stuff I won't judge or anything until I see it. As for the ink Monkey i'll admit i'm generally biased against it but that's not really news to anyone.

Winner of the 2011 Coolest Avatar Award
Unread 3rd of March, 2012, 04:33
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

Member: #2775
I think my opinions are clear enough already, but if it helps, the 2.5 Errata does change some of the Ink Monkeys stuff as well.

Honestly, from experiences in some chat-based games with a different group, I've learned its not fair to shoot stuff down until you've seen it in action. If you really don't like it after that, you have every reason not to. Until then, you're simply making assumptions based on what you read, and unless you have a mechanical where-with-all that is comparable with those who wrote the material (which is something I'm confident that all of us lack), how accurate can those assumptions really be?

A little while back, I honestly thought Lightspeed Body Dynamics was a good Charm. It turns out that it's being completely removed in the 2.5 Errata, meaning my previous assessment of it was wrong in their eyes. This is subjective, of course, but I agree with Red, and I think we should take this a step further: Let's wait for the 2.5 stuff to be released (should be very soon), and let's take a look at the developer commentary as well as that of the more mechanically-knowledgeable people before we come to our conclusions. Hopefully they'll have playtesting notes coming out as a part of the release as well, but if not, it may also be worthwhile to wait for some notes on in-game experiences from the rest of the community. I have no problem being a part of that playtesting experience as well, but the majority of us seem uncomfortable with testing these kinds of things in play.

Either way, let's give it some time before we jump all over things.

My $0.02.

EDIT: In continuation of my schpiel above, in the first post of the thread Sparda linked, John Morke, one of the current developers of the Exalted line, made a statement that I think it would be wise to take to heart:

"We urge you not to comment on the errata until you have used it extensively in your games. We will not be paying attention to criticisms in the first few days of the release. After a week or more has passed, we are going to be watching your commentary for ideas, suggestions, complaints, bug fixes, problem Charms we missed, etc."

Writers are human too - I'm sure Tag can agree. They generally make awesome shit because its their job, but even they make mistakes. Give their shit a chance first, though, before knocking it. In my opinion, it's the same as any of us giving Tag a critique on his book before really giving it a fair, unbiased read. Less quick judgement and more patient will for understanding makes the world a better place.

/hippytalk
erendiox (12:14:36 AM): utter chaos is what feeds my insatiable hunger

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 3rd of March, 2012 at 04:52.
Unread 3rd of March, 2012, 12:59
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Right, nothing you've said contradicts what I've suggested. It's possible some of the changes are so obviously game breaking that it's hilarious. Some changes will look fine and or will be on the fence and we'll need to test them out.

Bear in mind, and I'm going to bring this up, the type of game those folks wrote is the type of game they want to play, which is possible to be very different from the type of game we want to play (or think we're playing), so it's also possible what worked perfectly for them won't work at all for us.

Again, case by case basis, due to the complexity of the situation, it's really the only way to deal with things.

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 3rd of March, 2012, 18:26
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

To summarize, at the moment we're not going to delve into the ink monkey or errata stuff too much and are waiting for 2.5 to come out so we can all see it and make judgements on it. I'll try and read it asap once it's out and post up my opinions on it so we can discuss whether we want to use it or not.

I figure at that point we can figure out if we want to use some, all, none, or judge case by case on the ink monkey and errata.

Unread 3rd of March, 2012, 19:32
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Well said Mr. Red Dragon Bone Naga (do you ever get confused at what you are?)

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 15th of March, 2012, 07:01
Sparda219
Ghoul

Member: #389
http://www.mediafire.com/?awro1ax4gwtss0w

Rejoice friends! The Scroll of Errata is updated with Exalted 2.5 rules. It's not perfect but it is amazing.
Unread 15th of March, 2012, 13:40
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Alright I've given the 2.5 errata a once over. Since this is the scroll of the errata there's a lot more to read of course, but in concern of the 2.5 stuff:

I like it.

Probably the biggest change is to perfect defenses. They've increased the mote costs from 3-4 to 8-10 motes, something that really helps abusing them. They're still awesome, but now they're expensive to boot. Makes it so using them exclusively to other defensive charms will make you run out of motes real fast.

The second change I like, and I will admit to being biased on this, is to social combat. Overflow successes on social attacks actually mean something now, so socialites such as SW are actually threatening instead of just annoying.

There's several other changes, none of which I find really bad. Overall, the changes are relatively minor changes with larger consequences. So my vote is that we use them. If we don't like them, or need to change something, the changes presented are so small that they'd be easily fixed or cast aside without it seeming to utterly change how the game world works.

Unread 20th of March, 2012, 06:28
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

There are some serious changes in the 2.5 errata. Perfect defenses are no longer king, and the role of soak and health levels has increased dramatically (especially consider the new soak tree in Resistance and lowered prices on Artifact Armors). This is not to mention the changes to Social Combat, various Martial Arts other Ability charm trees, and some other things here and there.

I think this is all a good thing, as it really makes the game overall less lethal (which is quite fitting for the narrative style of this game, I think) in the sense that you don't need (and really can't afford) to perfect-spam against every attack or die. Yeah, there are plenty of things that will still grind you to a pulp (Poison, grappling, Crippling, etc), but those Grand- weapons are now slightly less terrifying, which I enjoy. Of course, this will mean we'll still get hurt more since we have to rely more on DV, but this also means that we won't die after the first swing or two, which I see as creating more exciting combats. It's not very fun to kill or be killed by the BBEG, let alone his henchmen, after two or three rounds of perfect-spam and combos. This could potentially be bad for us given that we're using PBP and all, but I have faith that we'll find a way to make it work for us.

Overall, I like it and am all for it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Essence ping apparently no longer exists.

Last edited by fhgwdads05; 20th of March, 2012 at 07:05.
Unread 20th of March, 2012, 10:09
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

A quick glance over (and talks with Red) and they seem reasonable. I'm willing to go ahead and try them. Again, I'd like to reserve the right for any of us to go, "WHOA, hang up" if we notice a change that just isn't meshing with our play style.

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 25th of March, 2012, 00:55
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Everyone.

I'm sorry I've been so distant and not posting. As some of you know, I have a pretty active freelance career in addition to my day job and have basically been working two jobs for the past few weeks. You guys are on my mind and I'm trying to find time. Thanks for sticking around.
Unread 13th of April, 2012, 10:10
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

Um...I don't want to sound pushy, and I appreciate the fact that Real Life can swamp people for long periods of time...but is there an update on when posting might start again?

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 2nd of May, 2012, 11:35
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Hey everybody,

I'm sure Red has already mentioned it to everyone, and it's probably become rather obvious, but I wanted you to hear it from me. I'm going to have to drop the game.

Things have been set in motion in my career that I can't ignore and I need to approach these new developments with all my time and energy. I'm really sorry - hate being that guy who starts a game only to let it die, but I have to put my work first.

If I never mentioned it, my roommate and I are active video freelancers. We just recently landed some office space for our work and equipment, and this has jump started a transition from our day jobs and making steps toward incorporating and becoming an independent company. It's been a lot of work and I don't expect things to slow down anytime soon.

Anyway, I really enjoyed playing with you guys while things were rolling, and I hope you did as well. You're all great writers, as far as I'm concerned.

Wishing everyone all the best.

- Dan
Unread 5th of January, 2013, 21:36
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Alright I'm pretty sure I've talk to everyone who is or was involved in this but I'll post this up here anyways to make it official.

I'm picking the reigns of this game back up. I'll be STing it for the foreseeable future, and Erendiox will be taking over the part of Silver Wind in the meantime since he feels he has time to play but not run a game.

I will also state, for the record, that I consider this a temporary thing, even if the state persists for several years (if it comes to that). Ultimately I consider this Erendiox's game so I'll always be keeping that in mind. That being said, while I know the general direction and a few points here and there on his plans for the future, I'll naturally have to fill in a lot of it with my own stuff.

Also for the record if I could get a roll call to make sure that the people I HAVE talked to are still in this thing. Last I knew that list was:
Erendiox
Tag
Peanut

Lemme know with a post in here if you all are still game for this...um...game.

Edit: Also with your permission Erendiox I'd like to ask for Mod rights to the forum so I can start editing things like the combat notes thread and such.

Unread 6th of January, 2013, 08:39
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

How I post hear.?,
Unread 6th of January, 2013, 12:02
TagalongDT
Vampire Spawn

I'm awake, I'm awake. For now anyway...

Seduce the wookie?!
Unread 3rd of February, 2013, 08:27
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Phew, OK, I'm here.

My life has been crazy, but I think I can finally devote some time now.

Let me know if you all are still on board.

Red, thanks for the combat stats. I'll keep them handy. I think the only way to get you mod rights is for me to petition the gods of the site. I'll do that shortly.
Unread 3rd of February, 2013, 09:35
itches
Vampire Lord [Epic Admin]

Member: #10
We we are watching the thread, so you posting here saying it was fine and red doing the asking would have worked too.
Unread 5th of February, 2013, 00:18
fhgwdads05
Vampire Spawn [GM]

A wild Erendiox has appeared!

Glad to see you back here man, how's business?
Unread 7th of February, 2013, 07:08
Erendiox
Bodak [GM]

Thanks Itches. Glad to know you're watching... our every move and such...

Dave, good to see you too man. Things are going really well. Keeping busy. Not making as much money lately but doing creative projects. Good stuff for the reel. Dating this girl too, so I have no time for anything anymore haha.
Unread 5th of March, 2013, 09:06
red_dr4g0n94
Nightwing [GM]

Alright a couple of things that need to be addressed concerning my latest post (and erendiox's last post), mostly as clarifications on Mass Combat rules.

First of all, in Mass combat you use the lower of your combat ability or War rating. So technically erendiox, your archery rating would be considered 1 because that's how much SW has in war. I figure that since we're all sort of new to this I'll let it slide, but just as an FYI in the future. Secondly in order to make a ranged attacked you need to be disengaged from close combat. After reading erendiox's post I decided that it basically constituted a stunt so I allowed the attack to go through.

Thirdly, concerning my own description of what happened, there is a rule that allows commanders to be attacked personally if they've been engaged in mass combat for a Long Tick, though technically it was really only for the purposes of damaging them, not doing a grapple. I decided to do it this way because A) I think it's much more dangerous and dramatic and B) because SW was specifically stated as being closer to her than the other archers by a large margin (which was mostly my fault before).

So yeah, if any of you have any other questions (besides peanut asking when Herald will show up) feel free to ask.

Edit: forgot to add one more thing. Technically while grappled you ticks go to "inactive" but I'll let erendiox post again to see if he can do some neat stunt to allow SW to escape, or just to go into the whole "trapped while being burned alive" situation

Edit pt.2: Also I need everyone to state in their OOC thing which kind of Essence their using (personal, peripheral, familiar, etc.) and in the case of bows what ammo their using for attacks (broadhead, target, etc.)

Last edited by red_dr4g0n94; 5th of March, 2013 at 09:18.