Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > Scales of War

Reply
Thread Tools
  #101  
Unread 12th of February, 2010, 09:15
Da Mad Hatter's Avatar
Da Mad Hatter
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member: #7925
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 36 (0.01 per day)
"Yeah, you're probably right." Hanging his head in defeat, Cutter looks over at the others of the group intermittently, hoping that they could come up with something better then the idea he had.
__________________
Why do I always have to be the Mad Hatter? Why can't you be the Mad Hatter for once? Oh, alright, I'll be the Mad Hatter again! You like hats? I'm mad about hats!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Unread 12th of February, 2010, 15:03
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.25 per day)
Balam listen carefully as he thinks about the situation, though he could not hold his thoughts in any longer.

"However, we may be fighting against something way stronger than a bunch of Goblins. The creature mentioned a group of undead fiends that they were working for, and what intrigued me the most was when he mentioned about the rule of Lord Rivenroar."

The Wizard takes a slight pause and makes sure everyone's listening.

"There was an old noble family of that name that ruled over these lands, but centuries ago; and eventually their reign came to an end, according to my latest studies in this matter. If what the hobgoblin mentioned was true, then this indescribable creature may be as old as that, and, such... their old castle is also at the same place, under those same ruins of their Castle, in what the creature described as a crypt... These events are becoming more and more intriguing, and...may confirm that a greater danger awaits us if we move out unprepared, in the slightest."

It is odd though, the demon-kin rarely speaks in this manner, something must be bothering him.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 04:50
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"... people are missing," an unfamiliar voice is saying as the party approaches the council chamber, "The Lord Warden has already indicated that he doesn't have the men to spare for a rescue mission, Eoffram. What would you have us do? Leave the town undefended in order to rescue a handful of people?"

Catching the entrance of the party out of the corner of his eye, Councilmember Troyas cuts himself off before he can start his reply and glances their way. As he makes eye contact with each party member, the party sees a momentary light in his eye. Turning back to the general chamber, Troyas begins his response.

"Councilmember Teskerwill, I'd like to present my proposed solution. Each of these individuals has already distinguished themselves in the defense of Brindol today. These men are the self same who took on the ogre who caused so much destruction," Eoffram says, gesturing to Ril, Lorien, Balam, and Taraka, before pointing to Cutter and continuing, "while this sentient automaton secured the capture of the one and only prisoner that we took during this affair. Since the Lord Warden has no men to spare from the guard, I say we ask these outstanding citizens to track down the force which raided us and rescue the prisoners."

Suddenly the focus of everyone's attention, the party finds themselves facing 6 interested stares. Two come from the Lord Warden and Eoffram Troyas, whom the party members already recognize. The other four, however, are unfamiliar and belong to three humans and a dwarf.

Clearly hostile, one of the older humans is the first to break the silence and the party recognize his voice as the one who was speaking as they approached the council chambers, "Well, what have you to say for yourselves? Councilmember Troyas here puts much stock in what you did today, but I did more than that in my youth. Nine Hells, even today I was hearing about a group calling themselves the Farstriders who had bested a dragon. Why should we trust you with this rescue mission?"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 06:09
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Lorien made a show of looking around in every direction, even going so far as to peek under the nearest rug. Finally - "Well, I don't see any Farstriders."
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 06:29
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
"Lorien, do be quiet."

Ril half-glares at Lorien, then returns his gaze to the council. "I apologize for my friend's supreme lack of taste. I began this day under the misapprehension that he was a knight, but I am now hard-pressed to even remember why I would even consider such an idea. However, on the subject of us performing a rescue. I would not be so presumptuous as to claim we are the best option, though I would still hold that we are an option, and at the very least not the worst. Regardless, I have some information that you may wish to hear, on the subject of these goblins."
He sighs, briefly, glancing at Lorien, again half-glaring, before focusing on the council, and especially on the Lord Warden.

"I had a small chat with the prisoner after the Lord Warden left, and was able to glean some small measure of information. The goblins are lead by a certain 'Sinruth,' one who has been able to unite a number of their kind under the old banner of the Red Hand. Sinruth promises a new nation for the goblins themselves, in this area, and intends eventual war.
"Unfortunately, Sinruth has allied himself with some sort of undead horror calling itself the 'Lord of Rivenroar,' and which is presumably responsible for much of Sinruth's confidence and strength. They base themselves in the old castle Rivenroar, in the mountains to the north. Supposedly, this 'Lord of Rivenroar' is some sort of reanimated scion of the Rivenroar family. The 'Lord' claims that he used to rule this valley, and supposedly intends to reassert this rule, along with Sinruth.
"The rather horrible part is that the 'Lord,' whatever it is, requires human flesh to feed on. Sinruth has been making raiding parties upon the local area, on various towns, capturing prisoners with the express purpose of giving them to the 'Lord.' This recent attack was another raid, the destruction intended to distract us while the goblins captured some number of prisoners."

He sighs again. "I believe that is the extent of the information I acquired. Do you have any further questions?"

Last edited by zachol; 16th of February, 2010 at 06:36.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 07:09
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
At the revelation of the likely fate of the prisoners, there is a general intake of breath and making of warding gestures from those within the council chamber. Eoffram, however, while no less shocked by the revelation, clearly sees the opportunity which Ril has just presented him with and recovers the quickest.

"Councilmembers, in light of this new information I believe it imperative that we take action. Even if we are willing to let our citizens fall into a life of slavery to goblinoids and worse because of a 'lack of manpower,' we cannot sign their death warrant through our own inaction. You all know my proposal. I move that it be voted on immediately."

"Seconded," the dwarven member of the council states after only a moments hesitation.

"Very well," the Lord Warden replies, "All in favor of Eoffram's proposal?"

Around the table, the hands of Eoffram, the dwarf, and one of the other councilmembers rise almost immediately. More slowly, the Lord Warden raises his own hand, and the last human council member joins the clear majority.

As all eyes swivel to the sole remaining dissenter, Coucilmember Taskerwill, the man's eyes burn with fury at Eoffram and he raises his hand as well.

"It's unanimous then," the Lord Warden states, making the decision formal, "The Council will endorse the use of adventurers to secure the release of those captured by the raid and to retrieve the artifacts taken from the Hall of Great Valor."

"To that end, Lord Warden, I move that Eoffram be designated the Council's liason with the adventurers on this matter," Councilmember Taskerwill adds, a slow smile spreading across his face, "You have enough on your plate in handling the aftermath of this raid here in Brindol. As he clearly already has some connection to these mercenaries he will be in the best position to represent the council's wishes."

Seeing the trap that Councilmember Taskerwill is setting for him, Eoffram shakes his head as if to refuse, but several of the other councilmembers immediately voice their approval for this suggestion and it passes by acclamation.

"Very well," the Lord Warden states, taking control of the meeting once more, "It is getting late and I still have much work to do. If there is nothing else which is pressing we will adjourn." Glancing at each councilmember he then adds, "Then we stand adjourned."

As the other councilmembers leave the chamber, Eoffram comes over to the party.

"That went about as well as could be expected. Not perfect, but fairly well. Your timing was impeccable. Now, let us retire to my office were we can discuss details."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 07:15
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Lorien nodded briskly, carefully avoiding making eye contact with Ril. He wasn't sure whether he was furious or ashamed, but he was certain he didn't want to trade words with his best friend just now. Instead, he fell into step behind Eoffram, following the councilor to his office.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 07:43
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Ril smiles lightly. "But of course."
As they crowd into the office, he looks at Lorien. "I'm sorry about the comment earlier. I didn't actually mean it. You really could've picked a better time, though."

He turns to the councilman. "Now, mon sieur Troyas, what exactly is all this about?"
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 07:53
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Lorien shook his head, whispering furiously. "That ogre nearly killed Taraka, and that stuffed up noble nearly spit in our faces over it. I know I don't seem like a discerning man, and I obviously don't understand courtly affairs, but I choose my battles very carefully."
__________________
More cocks! Everywhere I look there are cocks! I seem to be surrounded by cocks! -itches

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 08:09
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Ignoring the whispered words back and forth, Eoffram starts in on the matter at hand.

"As you no doubt surmised from the goings on in the council chamber, as well as your own interrogation of the prisoner, this was more than a simple raid. In addition to the taking of prisoners, for purposes you so adeptly discovered, the hobgoblins also raided the Hall of Great Valor and stole several artifacts. We can't be entirely sure as to which ones were stolen because it appears that Sertanian, the castellan of the Hall, was one of those taken prisoner on the raid, but it seems some 5 to 8 items are missing. In addition to rescuing the prisoners, 4 that we know of so far, we will need you to retrieve those items."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 08:12
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Ril grinned at Lorien. "Ha ha, that's what I like about you. Strong sense of justice. Very knightly, in fact."
He leaned forward, invading Lorien's personal space, still smiling. "Very knightly. However, not appropriate for the situation. When you're an exalted hero, you can throw your weight around. For now, however, regardless of your nobility, it is not taken very well by the 'nobles,' and I would appreciate it if you, well, if not chose your battles more carefully, then realized when the practical effects will overwhelm maintaining your ideals."

He leaned back, eyebrows raised. "We settled? To clarify, no I did not mean my barb at all, although I am still slightly sore that I somehow was belaboring under the idea that you were a knight. That you are still struggling to achieve that is an easy replacement for my conception of your post."
He paused, for a moment, staring off. "Or something. I still have trouble forming some sentences in your tongue, you know? Anyway, Master Troyas," he turned. "I apologize."

[Edit: Argh. Just shove that before Troyas' bit.]

After Troyas' explanation of the artifacts, Ril thought, for a moment.
"Hm. Although, as you said, you are unsure what exactly they stole, it would be favorable to know what manner of thing they stole. I am sorry to say that I am not quite that familiar with the Hall of Great Valor. Also, although I suppose it doesn't matter terribly, we would rescue them regardless, but you say there were 4 people kidnapped. The castellan, and who else? Have you located Captain, er, Kartenix, and his family yet?"
__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.

Last edited by zachol; 16th of February, 2010 at 08:19.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 08:29
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"We're currently tracking down a couple of the boys who occasionally helped Sertanian out with odd chores in the hopes that they'll be able to come up with a probable list of what's missing.

However, given that people are missing, verifying the whereabouts of other townsfolk is currently taking priority. As I said, we've confirmed four missing thus far: Captain Kartenix, his son Thurann, Sertanian, and Mirtala, a cook in the employ of House Kaal. Confusion from the raid, however, hasn't completely settled yet and some of our runners have yet to return. If taking prisoners was the primary objective of this raid, then I wouldn't be surprised to find out that more were missing before dawn."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 11:09
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.25 per day)
The Wizard kept silent during most of the hearing, though he refrained himself from snide comments, seeing as Ril beat him to the chase. Furthermore, the egotistical Bard wasn't to his fancy either, but no matter.

Balam listens to Eoffram as he mentions something about artifacts. Normally, he would be intrigued by the nature of these historical items, but now he was simply annoyed. He wouldn't break his back to retrieved some worthless scraps that this town wasn't even able to protect, and not even able to properly defend it's people. The lives of those kidnapped were his priority, and acquiring information on this new Red Hand of Doom was also of some great importance.

"We bring back any innocents we find, no need to idle here while the goblinods are on the move" he says, annoyed by everything around him.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 11:30
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
Taraka wasn't keen on the idea of sticking his nose into this, but as he had managed to do that already, he figured he'd stick with it for the time being.

"Sounds like we've got a plan. Let's get moving before the trail gets too cold, if it hasn't already."
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Unread 16th of February, 2010, 12:29
Da Mad Hatter's Avatar
Da Mad Hatter
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member: #7925
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 36 (0.01 per day)
Maintaining true to his nature, Cutter remains silent.

Lorien's mistreatment towards the nobles put him on edge, almost bringing him to withdraw his weapon should the need have arisen. He still remains unsure of what side he would have been on if it had come to blows at that point. Sticking with the councilmembers would be the 'smart' choice in his mind, but there's something about this group.

He's not sure what it is, but there's just something that seems to be calling to him to stick with the group for the time. It may just be that there are kidnapped people that need rescuing, but Cutter believes deep down that there's more to this group (outside of Lorien's egotistical attitude).

Motioning towards Taraka, Cutter responds "I'm ready to go now."
__________________
Why do I always have to be the Mad Hatter? Why can't you be the Mad Hatter for once? Oh, alright, I'll be the Mad Hatter again! You like hats? I'm mad about hats!
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Unread 17th of February, 2010, 01:34
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Looking surprised at the intent of the party to depart immediately, Eoffram responds excitedly, "You'll be able to track the goblins at night?"

Catching himself, Eoffram composes himself before continuing, "Of course, I defer to your judgment on the matter, as I am no tracker myself. I simply anticipated you waiting for dawn, especially as it seems you already know where the hobgoblins are headed. If you wish to leave tonight, though, I will make the effort to speed up the process of figuring out who and what is missing. Can you give me an hour to do so?"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Unread 17th of February, 2010, 02:47
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
"Trails can be followed at night, especially if the goblins stop to rest. The worry is that the trail becomes too cold with too much time. But I'll defer final judgment to my comrades here."
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Unread 17th of February, 2010, 03:16
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
"If the captives are fodder for some sort of dark sacrifice, every hour may be precious if you wish to recover all of them. So yes, I believe we should begin following the trail tonight. We can rest on the way."
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Unread 17th of February, 2010, 03:19
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
"Also, though it may seem relatively selfish, it may be best to, er, recapture the prisoners before the raiders actually reach Rivenroar. An attack on a temporary camp would be likely more reasonable than a raid on their castle. Yes?"
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Unread 17th of February, 2010, 07:33
Da Mad Hatter's Avatar
Da Mad Hatter
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member: #7925
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 36 (0.01 per day)
"The less time they can get a lead, they more ground we can make up. If you need to gather information Councilmember Troyas, do so fast."
__________________
Why do I always have to be the Mad Hatter? Why can't you be the Mad Hatter for once? Oh, alright, I'll be the Mad Hatter again! You like hats? I'm mad about hats!
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Unread 18th of February, 2010, 03:06
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"Yes, yes. Very well. Do you have preparations of your own to make, or can you wait for me here while I get you the information?"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Unread 25th of February, 2010, 11:11
Da Mad Hatter's Avatar
Da Mad Hatter
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member: #7925
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 36 (0.01 per day)
Having grabbed his bag before coming into town, Cutter looks at the others as he answers "I'm ready to go once the others are ready."
__________________
Why do I always have to be the Mad Hatter? Why can't you be the Mad Hatter for once? Oh, alright, I'll be the Mad Hatter again! You like hats? I'm mad about hats!
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Unread 25th of February, 2010, 13:54
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.25 per day)
The Wizard speaks: "I've also prepared beforehand, and am ready to continue at any moment. Please make haste, however. Lives are at stake here, and time is wasting".

He says this in a decisive tone, something he hasn't demonstrated often. Once Eoffram has left to gather information, he will commence the study of his spells and abilities, revising what needs to be remembered for their upcoming battles.

Though he really wished otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Unread 25th of February, 2010, 14:54
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Ril grinned. "Well that settles it. I have a few things, but they can wait until we're leaving, just two stops. I have to compose the letter anyway."

[Ril is set. Letter is a missive to home, other nonspecified stuff, can drop it off at the inn, along with picking up the rest of the adventurer's kit.]
__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Unread 26th of February, 2010, 02:05
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"Very well," Eoffram replies, "Please, make yourselves comfortable, I'll be back as soon as I can."

Disappearing out the door, the party can hear Eoffram calling for a page before his voice fades out.

About 45 minutes later he returns, looking a little more disheveled than when he left.

"Well, I've done what I can for now. I still have people out checking for more unaccounted for individuals, but it will take several more hours for them to complete that process and you don't have that kind of time to wait.

From what I've been able to determine, the goblinoids stole a ceremonial longsword, three shields, and battle standard from the Hall of Great Valor. There are a couple of other empty spots in the case, but I've been unable to determine what was in them as of yet.

More importantly, we know of 5 people that were taken prisoner. Captian Kartenix, his son Thurann, Sertanian, and Mirtala I already told you about. Since then word has reached me that Jalissa, an acolyte at the College of Ioun is also missing. There may be others, I just don't know yet and won't for at least a few more hours."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 10:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren