Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > Scales of War

Unread 7th of February, 2010, 07:30
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Ril shrugs, rolling his eyes slightly, and whispers to the guards as they're approaching the stocks. "Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm basically bribing him."
He grins, handing off the brandy to the goblin. He takes a seat on the ground, near the stocks, and pats the area next to him.

"Soooo, what, the still's been fizzling out and ruining your moonshine? Because of all the slaving runs from Sinruth?"

[Diplomacy 12 ha ha, fumble]
Unread 7th of February, 2010, 08:05
Da Mad Hatter
Skeleton

Member: #7925
Letting the prisoner out of the stocks? This is a whole other side of interrogation. Lets see if I can help out this man, act like the rough 'guy' to help bring out the niceness.

While not really wanting to push Ril's luck so far, he wants to make it clear to the prisoner that escape is not an option. He doesn't want to speak up and break the hobgoblin from the charms that Ril is putting on him, so he decides to 'show' the futility of escaping.

Seeing the guards release the prisoner, Cutter swings his head about. He then takes his right arm, making a dramatic circular stretch with it before resting his hand against the hilt of his sword resting across his right shoulder. He slowly begins to draw the blade as the guards begin to back away from the hobgoblin, while keeping an intense stare on the prisoner.

He takes the gigantic sword and lets the blade rest on his other palm. While taking a few steps to put himself in a better position to keep an eye on the hobgoblin, he lets the blade tap against his metal skin to make a few clinks and accentuate his point. When finally in position, he lets the tip of the blade dip down to the ground and to his right side, while letting his left hand come to a grip on the hilt.

[Intimidate 11 ]
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 01:01
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
"Not fizzling. We aren't stupid," the hobgoblin replies, taking the brandy and ignoring Cutter, "It's a really bad idea to let the still operate unattended so we keep having to put the fire out and relighting it. If you have any kind of experience with operating a still, you know that it can take several hours to prep a good fire and heat the still to the point where it starts to boil. A single distillation normally takes a whole day for the size still we've got, something that's been in short supply recently."

Taking a large swing on the brandy bottle, the hobgoblin holds it up and swills the last dregs around against the dying light to gauge how much is left.

"For something made from grapes, this isn't bad, if a bit weak. And, the weakness could be fixed by running it through the still again. Personally, however, I prefer to make my stuff from millet, though amarath, sorghum, and fonio work too. Course, most of what I get is wheat, barely, and rye, the kind of stuff we can raid for around here. I haven't made a good millet moonshine in several years, though I do have a bottle squirreled away. Guess I won't be drinking that after all. Bah! It's bound to have mellowed with how long I've been holding on to it. I shouldn't have tried to save it."

Finishing the bottle, the hobgoblin hands the empty to Ril, "You got any more of this stuff? Or how about something stronger? I'd need a whole case to really get drunk on this."
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 03:13
Scythe
Bodak

Member: #2925
The Wizard takes note in his mind about those four components the creature mentioned.

"My savvy about ingredients as such isn't as profound as another. However, they may be linked in someway to pinpoint a peculiar region in the Realms" he says to himself, repeating those four ingredients (amarath, fonio, millet, sorghum), as such as they are memorized. It was a stretch, but if the hobgoblin wasn't giving any useful information, well it was a start.
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 05:25
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Lorien's eyebrows raised in alarm as the captive was released from the stocks, but he waited a little while to see what Ril was up to. Unfortunately, his patience was measured in seconds, not minutes, when it came to making gobbo filth comfortable during an interrogation.

He rushed forward, batting the brandy out of the captive's hand and punching the side of his head with a gauntlet-shod fist.

"We're doing this my way now. Tell us who you work for and why you are here or you'll be drinking your own blood next."

[Intimidate: 24 .]

Last edited by treehouse; 8th of February, 2010 at 05:38.
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 05:49
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Sprawled out flat by Lorien's sudden interruption, the hobgoblin cringes but doesn't react to the pain exactly as expected, indicating that he's a bit drunker than he let on. He does, however, start talking.

"œ∑π œˆπ! I told you already, Sinruth is the one in charge and this raid was to collect a few prisoners to hand over to the undead horrors that Sinruth has allied us with. We're holed up in their crypt after all, and the last thing we want to be doing is feeding them ourselves."

Brought to his feet by Lorien's outburst, the guard who stayed at the wall rushes over and grabs the fighter by the upper arm. "I want to see this hobo suffer as much as you, but the Lord Warden wants to put him on trial, not summarily execute him."

Last edited by Black Plauge; 8th of February, 2010 at 05:53.
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 05:59
treehouse

Lorien snarled at the guard, yanking his arm away but taking a step back.

"You've heard it from the monster's own mouth, they're feeding your people to zombies. Citizens get trials, these types get the sword if they're lucky. That's how it should be, anyway."
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 06:11
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"The prisoners aren't for the zombies," the hobgoblin whimpers, seemingly unaware that the claim does nothing to improve his position, "it's that other ... thing ... that gets the prisoners."
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 06:15
treehouse

With a speed that belied his size and armor, Lorien darted around the guardsman, sword leaving sheath with a terrifying hiss. He rested the tip of the blade on the goblin's throat.

His voice was quiet, but no one could mistake the repressed rage.

"Pray tell...what 'other thing'?"
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 06:31
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"I don't know what it is," the hobgoblin replies, cringing again at the sight of the blade, "It calls itself the Lord of Rivenroar and claims it once ruled this whole area, but I don't know anything more about it. I avoid it as much as possible. It gives me the willies."
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 06:32
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

"Alright, alright, calm down."
Ril stood, trying to placate Lorien. "Really, no need to kill him."

He turns, facing the hobgoblin, and grumbles something under his breath before addressing him.
"Look, I'm a pretty open-minded guy. Nothing wrong with goblins, or hobgoblins, or whatever. Heck, nothing even really wrong with the undead. However, I do draw the line at hobgoblins making raids on other peoples settlements to acquire slaves to feed to the undead. So, my normally unending patience and good-will is a bit scarce at the moment."
He kneels down. "I've got just two questions, and then our group will go away and not bother you anymore, and if I tell the Warden what I've learned then it's likely he won't bother you more, or at least not as much, besides the hanging of course. So, question one, or perhaps topic one. Who is Sinruth, why are you following him instead of just being out and hobgoblinish? Two, where is this crypt? Also, bonus rhetorical question. Why, if this was a slaving raid, did you seem more intent on burning down the city and killing people? Surely there are easier towns to raid?"

[Diplomacy 15 ]

Last edited by zachol; 8th of February, 2010 at 06:39.
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 06:35
treehouse

Lorien applied very light pressure to the blade, but the captive almost certainly felt the shift as it dug into his flesh, drawing a tiny bead of blood.

"Answer his questions."

[Intimidate: 20 .]
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 06:49
Scythe
Bodak

While the Wizard was listening, something came to his mind while the hobgoblin mentionnes the Lord of Rivenroar. He looks back a few months back as he was studying this continents history.

[ History 26 ]
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 06:52
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

"Warlord Sinruth plans to recreate the glory of the Red Hand of Doom and carve out a fiefdom where hobgoblins will rule instead of humans." Looking at Lorien and his blade, the hobgoblin gulps before continuing, "I figured that it'd be easier to live in a hobgoblin ruled fiefdom instead of always scrounging a living on the edge of human ones."

"The crypt is under the ruins of Rivenroar Castle, north of here in The Giant's Shield mountains. I could draw you a map if you really wanted to find it."

"Sinruth ordered the burning. He said it would create more of a distraction when it came time to get away. Doesn't seem to me like it worked very well."

Puzzling over the mention of Rivenroar, Balam recalls that a family by the name of Rivenroar did indeed used to hold sway in the Elsir Vale. Indeed, their dominion stretched north into the Endless Plain and south past the Wyvrenwatch Mountains. However, that was hundreds of years ago and the site of their castle has long since been forgotten.

Last edited by Black Plauge; 8th of February, 2010 at 07:01.
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 06:57
treehouse

Lorien muttered an oath under his breath and pulled the sword away, nodding at Ril as if this had all been part of some plan that they had discussed. He pulled a rag from his pack and wiped his blade clean before re-sheathing it.

"There is no place in this land for your ilk. This won't be the first time we've put down one of your uprisings, but with any luck it will be the last."
Unread 8th of February, 2010, 07:03
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

"Hm. Alright."
He glances at Lorien. "Um... Lorien? Look, the point of the hanging is to provide catharsis for the rest of the town. They just got raided by a bunch of hobgoblins, public hanging of one makes them feel better. Alright? It's not like there's an actual trial or anything, it's not for his benefit, it's for the town's."

He looks back at the hobgoblin. "Sorry, I don't have any more liquor. Thank you for answering the questions."
Then to the guards. "I apologize for my friend's outburst. The goblin is still alive, mostly unharmed, and we have some important questions answered. I, of course, will leave out the matter of you relieving the goblin from the stocks when I speak with the Lord Warden."

He turns to the others. "Does anyone have any more pressing questions, or wants to take up his offer of the map? Otherwise I think we should leave."
Unread 9th of February, 2010, 12:38
Scythe
Bodak

Balam turns his back to the creature and faces his comrades: "I think he's said quite enough, and it gives us a whole new approach to what is forthcoming in the days to come" he says.
Unread 9th of February, 2010, 13:18
Da Mad Hatter
Skeleton

Bringing his blade before him, Cutter speaks up "I've got no questions beyond what's been asked." He then takes the gigantic blade and sheathes it back.

He then takes a quick moment to look at Ril, "Thank you for getting answers out of this one." At least now the town can be a little more informed about what just occurred.
Unread 9th of February, 2010, 14:10
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

"Fabulous. Now, on to the Lord Warden."

He waves to the hobgoblin. "Again, I thank you for our talk. It was interesting, and not unpleasant. Goodbye."
He glances at the guards. "So, where would the Lord Warden be? I need to tell him about all this."

Once (if) directed, Ril leads the group to wherever the Warden and so on are.
Midway, in an empty spot, he pauses, and looks at Lorien, grinning. "That was great! It worked well. Also, you're really not a Knight? I thought you said something like that a while ago?"
He eyes Cutter, raising an eyebrow. "Also, are you going to stick around for a while? I'm Cyril of the Green Isles, only son of Adle, heir to the throne, blah blah blah. You're... Cutter? Do you have a designation, a forgemark? You don't look terribly gnomic..."

Then to the others. "Also, do we have a plan? I'm thinking tell the Warden what's happening, but after that... this seems quite serious. Ideas?"

[That doesn't all happen at exactly the same time, just putting it out there at once.]
Unread 10th of February, 2010, 00:19
treehouse

Lorien's eyes were a bit downcast.

"Only delusions of grandeur, my friend. I am not a knight. My initial plan was to locate this Castle Rivenroar, storm in and kill everything that isn't human. My second plan was to storm in and kill everything that isn't human while riding on a horse."
Unread 10th of February, 2010, 00:36
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

"Hm. Let's call that the plan beta for now. Anyone have an idea that doesn't involve horrible, horrible death?"
Unread 10th of February, 2010, 01:09
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Chuckling at the party's rather abrupt dismissal of the hobgoblin, the two guards put the hobgoblin back in the stocks. They also provide directions to the council chambers within the Keep when asked.
Unread 10th of February, 2010, 01:30
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
"Hrm. Lorien, the direct approach may not be the best. I know my rush into combat against the ogre belies that, but when facing such an overwhelming force, perhaps a more diversionary tactic might be better?"
Unread 10th of February, 2010, 01:53
Da Mad Hatter
Skeleton

Cutter begins laughing on the inside as Lorien throws his idea on the table. Not so much at it being a bad idea, but moreso that he had been thinking along similar lines at first.

"What if we used me somehow? The forces don't know who everyone is, and these goblinoids would probably believe that one of my kind would be on their side."
Unread 10th of February, 2010, 06:11
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

"That's extremely interesting. I love it. However, and not to question your range of useful abilities, I am somewhat suspicious of whether you could actually consistently convince them that you hold certain untrue sentiments."
He raises an eyebrow. "I suppose you could just act typically opaque and enigmatic as they'd expect of an andreide, but it also seems fairly prone to sudden horrible death from frankly minor mistakes."
He smiles. "Again, though, I do love the idea. Perhaps we can keep it in mind as a sort of short term diversion. I just don't find the idea of a long term double agent very plausible."

"Still, though... spying, diversions, this is all very good. Perhaps a number of small skirmishes? I suspect we could unearth more of their intentions by questioning various parties, even just from inference if they don't know anything specifically themselves. Although, we could not do that often without making it obvious what our most metallic friend's allegiances truly are, and it's not as if his kind are at all common in this area, so that would take his suggestion off the table."