Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > Scales of War

Reply
Thread Tools
  #51  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 00:40
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
As he watches the initiate tend to the hobgoblin's wounds, Taraka notices that the hobgoblin's armor bears an insignia which looks oddly familiar and yet foreign at the same time.

"Keep taking on ogres," the Lord Warden responds to Lorien's dissembling, "and you'll get a title from some one."

"And an ogre isn't nothing," Councilmember Troyas pipes in, "Clearly, Harrik, these men have been beneficial to the town. The least we can do is keep them in the loop."

Rolling his eyes and the councilmember, the Lord Warden agrees, "If you think the presence of an ogre in the raiding party is going to convince Ronan Teskerwill, then I think you've got another thing coming Eoffram. However, these folk do seem inclined to see this through and I've no objections to keeping them informed, so long as they stay within the bounds of the law."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95863.jpg (8.9 KB, 3 views)
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 00:45
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
"That insignia, the red hand, on the hobgoblin's armor," Taraka noted aloud, "looks familiar. I can't place it, but I'd swear I've seen it somewhere before."
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 00:56
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.25 per day)
Balam's gaze quickly moved upon the symbol, hoping that his many years of research could at least try and identify it's meaning. He supposed beforehand that it must be either some clan or group, or maybe a deity of some sorts.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 01:19
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
"...oh." Ril's eyes darted from the Lord Warden to Councilmember Troyas.
"Well alright! Wonderful, and... hmm?"
He turned his attention to Taraka, and the symbol.
__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 02:47
Da Mad Hatter's Avatar
Da Mad Hatter
Skeleton

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Member: #7925
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 36 (0.01 per day)
For the first time since he last spoke, the only sign of life from Cutter was a quiet 'huff' as the Lord Warden mentioned getting a title. I doubt someone of my kind could do enough good to earn a title of the people.

Thoughts suddenly changed as Taraka mentioned the symbol on the armor. Cutter's eyes glanced up and down at the symbol, trying to recollect anything about it. Seeing the red hand didn't set anything off upon initial measure, but he returned to his previous stance and thought intently about what he had just seen.
__________________
Why do I always have to be the Mad Hatter? Why can't you be the Mad Hatter for once? Oh, alright, I'll be the Mad Hatter again! You like hats? I'm mad about hats!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 03:24
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
After examining the insignia, Balam quickly recognizes it as the symbol of the Red Hand of Doom, the band of goblinoids and dragonspawn which nearly conquered the Elsir Vale under leadership from Tiamat and her Exarch's approximately 20 years ago. What made it hard to place, however, is that the symbol is upside-down from the way the Red Hand of Doom had originally been depicted.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 03:52
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.25 per day)
Balam's intrigued eyes uncovers the secret of the mysterious insignia, though now he never wished to know their upcoming threat. Being already involved in this situation, he couldn't just back out now, and the other guards were already pressuring the Lord to engage into freelancers.

His gaze moves towards the Lord's, slightly uncovering his visage: "That symbol refers to the infamous Red Hand of Doom, I'm afraid, even though upside down. They nearly devastated the Elsir Vale a few years, twentyish down."

The Wizards takes a slow breath, and sighs desperately.

"Lord Warden, I'm sorry to inform you, but... there is a larger problem then just your town, now, and simply defending it will not suffice" he says, though he wished he could take back those words; his tone wasn't appropriate, he believed.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 04:48
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"The Red Hand of Doom?" Pointing to a page that had been lurking around the edge of the courtyard, the Lord Warden continues, "Betrand! Go to the Hall of Great Valor and get Sertanian immediately. And when you get back report to Olver. I'm sure he can find something for you to do besides skulking in the shadows."

Chastised, the young page runs off towards the Hall of Great Valor, nearly bowling over the young recruit that Lieutenant Dewitt had sent after Captain Kartenix earlier.

"S..S..Sirs," the recruit stuters when he sees the Lord Warden.

"Well, out with it Waton. Where is Captain Kartenix?"

"I c..c..can't find him, sir. His wife was killed in the raid, but none of his neighbors have seen him or his son, Thurann, since before Captain's Call."

"Nine Hells! The Red Hand reappearing and Captain Kartenix missing. Rebekah, can you wake the prisoner up? I want to ask him a few questions."

Glaring at the Lord Warden, it is clear that the initiate doesn't like the idea of waking her patient, but also realizes that the question was really an order. Gesturing to the guards to double check the chains, Rebekah pulls a small vial from beneath her robes and breaks it under the hobgoblin's nose. As the hobgoblin groggily comes around, the Lord Warden stands over him and roughly challenges him.

"Who do you work for?"

Testing his chains, the hobgoblin takes a weary look at the Lord Warden and declares "I ain't saying nothin' unless you people let me go."

Pressing his lips together, the Lord Warden testily responds, "You invaded my city, set fire to its building, and killed some of the residents. You will hang for all that, but you will tell us what you know first. Now, who do you work for?"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 07:17
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Ril stifled a chuckle, but chose not to actually say anything, remaining silent for the moment.
Casually, he glanced at Rebekah, the initiate, raising an eyebrow and nodding slightly towards the Lord Warden.
This whole situation was quite hilarious. Was this really what passed for nobility and government in these lands?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 09:08
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"Why should I tell you anything? It's hang if I do, hang if I don't from the sounds of it."

Inordinately pleased with his wit, the hobgoblin smiles at the Lord Warden, and act which only seems to raise the Lord Warden's ire even further.

"Listen you lack wit.."

Seeing the direction that the interrogation is taking, Eoffram discreetly moves over to Ril and speaks in a low tone, "I'm afraid that the Lord Warden is a bit out of his depth when it comes to obtaining the cooperation of one that he deems beneath him. You seem to have something of a silver tongue, other than your gaff about your friends rank earlier. Do you think that if I distracted the Lord Warden you might be able to extract some meaningful information from the hobgoblin?"
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Unread 2nd of February, 2010, 09:32
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Ril shrugged, responding quietly. "Possibly. To be honest, I'm unsure what I could say myself to convince him. Not much I can offer. Also, despite my mild contempt for the Lord Warden's methods, I am not myself a very good interrogator."
He winked. "Hard to take what I say seriously. But yes, I can try, if you think it would help."
__________________
Sleepy cat is sleepy.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Unread 4th of February, 2010, 05:50
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"Anything is bound to be better than the Lord Warden simply demanding the information," Eoffram replies.

Moving away from Ril, Eoffram approaches the increasingly frustrated Lord Warden, "Harrik, it's getting late and I'd like to talk with you and the council for a bit before the evening is out."

Sighing, the Lord Warden replies, "Very well, Eoffram. I'm not sure what you're going to say that is going to convince anyone to change their mind, but I will accompany you. As you for, scum. Perhaps a night in the stocks will make you more ameneable to answering my questions."

Gesturing to the guards, the Lord Warden turns and heads back into the Keep with Eoffram while they place the hobgoblin in the stocks.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Unread 4th of February, 2010, 06:19
Mercutio's Avatar
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1485
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 8,215 (1.85 per day)
Taraka was not the most intimidating fighter out there, but Corbin was a tiger, after all. That said, intimidation didn't need to be based solely on the emotional act of scaring someone. "If he's uncooperative, pulling out a hobgoblin fingernail or two would probably help. Or maybe some painful but not immediately deadly cuts to the abdomen."

Last edited by Mercutio; 4th of February, 2010 at 06:21.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Unread 4th of February, 2010, 06:25
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Ril turns to Taraka, Cutter, and the others, raising his hands.
"Hold on a second."

With a wink, he doubles back, walking calmly up to the hobgoblin.
Smiling good-naturedly, he crouches down, putting his head on level with the goblin's.
"So, what's this all about, then?"

[I'm assuming the stocks are in the same room(ish) as we were, and that the rest of the group is standing visible but still away from Ril and the hobgoblin.]
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Unread 4th of February, 2010, 06:44
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Scowling at the simple question, the hobgoblin repeats his earlier statement, "I ain't saying nothin' unless you people let me go."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Unread 4th of February, 2010, 07:08
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Ril rolled his eyes slightly, though he retained the smile.
"Now, we both know that's not really an option. I don't have the power to let you go, and I know I won't be able to convince the Warden. So, I can't really offer that."
He leans back slightly. "Plus, we also both know that you wouldn't really tell us anything if we did let you go, or you'd simply lie, or similar. Let's just take that off the table."
He raises an eyebrow. "Surely I can offer something, for just a hint of information? I mean, it's not like I'm really asking you who your leader is or what your plans are, I'm just a little curious, what's this all about? Goblins, attacking the city, something about reviving the Red Hand from twenty years back? Is there a problem, something we should know? Surely you've got some sort of motivation besides just killing things..."
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Unread 4th of February, 2010, 08:19
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"Motivations are Sinruth's department. I just follow orders. Now, maybe if you got me something to drink, I might tell you about those orders. I've been told that I'm a talkative drunk."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Unread 5th of February, 2010, 13:41
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
"Hah, well then. Fancy that, let's see what I have here..."
Ril shuffles around in his bag for a moment before pulling out a smallish green bottle, going through the motions of opening it.
"Now, personally I would prefer something like a Montblanc Sucré or a Petit Marmot, something lighter, maybe whatever would pass for a Baile Noir mix around here. Not even asking for real wine, of course I can't actually import it, but... hr..." pop! "...there, alright. There you go. No, I mean at least someone knowing what grape they're using. But everywhere I go, I ask and ask, and people just look at me, saying 'grapes is grapes' and acting like I'm some sort of idiot asking what 'kind' of grapes they're using."

He smiles, taking the bottle away from a moment to let the hobgoblin swallow. Whatever was in the bottle, it was not wine. Some sort of hard liquor. Probably... brandy? Maybe.
"It's good, no? It gets so frustrating sometimes, you listen to those damn dwarves all the time, nobody questions when they yammer on and on about their beer. Well, I had thought I'd found something interesting when I was served some rosé in a town called Algren up north, but it was fairly mediocre, and apparently just a fluke, they were getting rid of the skin early on. Then, when I was east, at Three Rivers, I came across some vintners who finally knew what they were doing.
"They were blending a handful of grapes, some Nesim, some Aubeis, and they pretty much knew what they were doing. And, they'd somehow managed to get ahold of some Montagne Glaise, although they can't grow it worth shit, it's nice to see the effort. And, they were making some actual marc, some, er, cognac... pomace brandy, I think it's called? Actually, the idiots in Algren had just heard 'something' about what they were doing at Three Rivers, I can't imagine how you can get from marc to rosé except by completely reversing everything you're supposed to do. Ha..."

He sort of stares off into space. Idly, he offers the bottle again.
"Mmm. And they were all excited about having an actual prince from the Green Isles, asking how they did. I mean, it was still horrible. Hm. If anything, that I could tell what they were trying to do, could tell what it was supposed to taste like, made it even worse. But, I told them, 'best I'd tasted so far,' and they were so happy. It was hilarious. Kind of sad. Well, they were snottier than that, trying to retain their composure. Hah. Their cognac is actually pretty alright."
He frowns, wrinkling his nose. "Too expensive, though. Not as much as importing wine, of course, but still. Recently I broke down and have been trying the various beers. People around here seem to find it more comprehendible that I'd want some specific sort of beer. But then I get all these jokes about elves and beer, and honestly it's hard to really appreciate. I've found a couple sorts of dwarven stout that were interesting, and there was this strange iedic-mead thing I found once that was bizarrely good, made by some monks. But the dwarves always laugh at me, and it's all these problems, so I don't even bother anymore."

He stops, staring off into space still. After a moment, he glances down, grins, and winks.
"Enough to make someone go and sack a town, eh? So, considering you've drank..." he holds up the bottle, raising an eyebrow "...around 2/3 of a bottle of the best brandy I've found in this pitiful excuse for a 'state,' perhaps I can assume you're sufficiently en-drunkened and are willing to have a little chat about this messy 'killing people' business?"


[Note: can really replace most of that with "blah blah blah."]

Last edited by zachol; 5th of February, 2010 at 14:08.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Unread 5th of February, 2010, 14:50
Scythe's Avatar
Scythe
Bodak

User is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member: #2925
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 895 (0.25 per day)
Balam preferred to remain silent, as he deemed that Ril had a decent control over what he was doing. He stood there, observing how the hoggoblin reacted, and focuses on what the creatures says and what he can connect to the Red Hand of Doom, if anything.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Unread 5th of February, 2010, 23:57
treehouse's Avatar
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Member: #1471
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 7,114 (1.60 per day)
Lorien blinked as he listened to Ril ramble. He realized what his friend was doing and held back an admiring grin. If he could actually get the gobbo to relax, his tongue might loosen.

Still, he kept one hand on his hilt, ready to try a much more direct method of inquisition if the need arose.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Unread 6th of February, 2010, 00:54
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
Drinking from a bottle while restrained by the stocks is not the easiest thing in the world to accomplish, even with help. As a result, the hobgoblin ends up with a fair bit of the brandy dribbling down his chin, not his throat.

"It's not so messy when you supposed to be taking prisoners" the hobgoblin replies, not even remotely slurring his words, "I feel your pain, however, on the whole wine thing. Don't care for wine myself, but it's hard to make a good moonshine when you're out raiding all the time. Sinruth's been sending out parties almost every day to keep the prisoner count up and you've really got to watch the fire and water levels in the still if you're going to get a good distillation. We had to put out and relight the fire three times on the last batch and that just wrecked the flavor. It was all smokey, not clean at all. Better than the sulfury stuff my cousin in Umbraforge makes, though. Open lava vents may give a nice consistent heat, but the vapors seem to get into everything no matter how well built your cooling tower is. He says you stay there long enough, you get used to the brimstone smell, but me, I like good clean moonshine. No flavors, no aging. Just a clear burn that warms you on even the coldest nights. But what say you to undoing this stocks so that we can stop wasting the brandy. It may not be as strong as moonshine, comes from only distilling twice you know, but it's still a shame to waste good drink."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman

Last edited by Black Plauge; 6th of February, 2010 at 01:07.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Unread 6th of February, 2010, 12:14
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
Ril frowned, leaning to the side and poking the stocks, jangling the lock.
He glanced at the hobgoblin. "Probably not an option, but I'll go check."

Rather quickly, he stood, walking back to the loitering guards.
"Hey hi. I've been having a little 'chat' with the hobgoblin, and things seem to be progressing quite well. In fact, I might be able to get him to talk about quite a lot, possibly, or at least how much he knows, if I could make him a little more... well, comfortable, I suppose you could say. I was just thinking if the point of the stocks is to get him to talk, and he's ready to talk, well then you don't really need the stocks anymore, especially if it's making him less likely to talk, right?"
This seemed oddly reasonable, for some reason...

[Words of Friendship: +5 to a diplomacy check]
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Unread 7th of February, 2010, 03:02
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"The Lord Warden isn't going to like that," one of the guard replies. "He ordered the prisoner placed in the stocks until the morning. If we let him out..."
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Unread 7th of February, 2010, 04:46
zachol's Avatar
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member: #1103
Location: Glorious Nippon
Posts: 8,153 (1.73 per day)
"Yes, but if he's in the stocks in the morning, when the Lord Warden comes back again, isn't that the same thing?"
Ril smiles, nodding his head slightly towards the goblin. "And besides, the Lord Warden said that a night in the stocks would make him more amendable to asking questions. Certainly, letting him out for perhaps a half hour, then putting him back in, well, he'd still be in the stocks for the night. And, again, I do stress that the entire point of the stocks is to get him to answer questions; if it's interfering with asking questions, if I can get him to answer questions without the stocks, then it seems pretty clear, at least to me, that taking him out of the stocks, just for a little bit, would work out better than leaving him in."

[Diplomacy 30 ]
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Unread 7th of February, 2010, 04:56
Black Plauge's Avatar
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

User is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member: #192
Location: Old Town, ME
Posts: 6,801 (1.22 per day)
"I suppose..." the first guard responds.

"So he's answering questions then," the second guard chimes in, "this I've got to see."

Taking the keys, the second guard comes over to the stocks and raps them across the hobgoblin's face, "Now, these guys say that you're willing to answer questions if I let you out of the stocks. I trust them, they killed that ogre that was with you, after all, but I don't trust you. Try anything funny and I'll slap you back in the stocks upside down."

Unlocking the hobgoblin, the guard steps back and gestures dramatically at Ril while keeping an eye on the hobgoblin. The hobgoblin, for his part, alternates between eying the guard and looking hungrily at the bottle of brandy.
__________________
Physics is like sex. Sometimes it yields practical results, but that's not why we do it.
-Richard Feynman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 21:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Graphics by Koert van Kleef (T0N!C) and Lyle Warren