Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > Scales of War

Unread 11th of November, 2009, 02:18
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
“ Now, in the measure you listed, scene-by-scene, it can definitely work depending on the scenes, characters, and the storyline. But that's most definitely not what was at work in the Black Company books. Tenses shifted within the same sentence at times, within the same paragraph frequently, and at least once in every three paragraphs. (I told you it was distracting. I counted, underlined, and made notes.) ”
Changing tenses that often would probably get on my nerves too. It's a question of balance for me. The writer needs to balance the narrative needs of the story with the ease of reading for the reader.

On the implement thing, a careful reading of the Implement class feature shows that a character with it has proficiency for specific implements for use with their class powers only. It does not allow the use of those implements with powers from another class, even if the implement would be a normal match for that class.

Also, the Dilettante ability of the half-elf grants no implement proficiencies. As a result, if you chose a power with the implement keyword, you can't use implements with that power, even if you have the Implement class feature.

The way around that is to take the multi-class feat for the class that your Dilettante power comes from, as that does grant the necessary implement proficiencies and ability to use those implements with the power.

“ Also, are their many powers or situations that would call for a Ranged Basic Attack? ”
That depends. If your character has a ranged at-will power then no, there are generally not many situations that call for it. If your character doesn't, then your Ranged Basic Attack will be your primary way to engage in ranged combat.

As for powers, there are powers which grant a basic attack, allowing you to chose ranged or melee, but you'll want to look at your teammates to determine if those powers are going to come into play.

“ After looking up the DPR calculations, I've noticed that it would be possible to add any and all situational modifiers for our attacks. Simply add them as extra attacks (always/no trigger), and the the net damage in the damage section equals the DPR for each possible situation (normal attacks, combat advantage, class features, racial features, feats, powers, etc...) so that we as a team can profit from team boosts from a statistical point of view. Monster penalties could be prepared for in advance. ”
I'm not sure it's going to be as easy as you make it out to be, but yes, I do plan on attempting to include most bonuses/penalties.
Unread 13th of November, 2009, 08:47
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

It looks like everyone's character sheets have all the mechanics in place. Is there anyone who still needs to tweak their character?
Unread 13th of November, 2009, 10:14
Scythe
Bodak

Member: #2925
I still need to fill in DPR and write up a background, but everything else is done. I'm pretty busy tonight, so I'll finish up everything over the weekend and be ready for play on Monday.
Unread 13th of November, 2009, 14:16
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
Not sure about Ril's feat or his dilettante power.

Retraining's an option, right?
Unread 14th of November, 2009, 01:24
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by zachol # Not sure about Ril's feat or his dilettante power.

Retraining's an option, right?
”
Of course. Every time you level you can retrain 1 feat, power, or skill.

It should be noted, however, that racial features (including the dilettante power selection) can't be retrained.
Unread 14th of November, 2009, 01:37
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Hmmm. Does anyone have a suggestion, then, of some good random at-will power?
Preferably one that rests on charisma, or maybe wisdom.
Unread 14th of November, 2009, 02:33
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

It depends on what you want out of the power. Options:
  • Astral Seal (healing, no damage)
  • Sacred Flame (temp hp or save to ally)
  • Ardent Strike (sanction and usable on charge)
  • Virtuous Strike (saving throw bonus to self)
  • Bolstering Strike (temp hp to self)
  • Blazing Starfall (area 1 within 10)
  • Lightning Strike (secondary target)
  • Arcing Fire (conditional secondary target)
  • Acid Orb (ranged basic)
  • Burning Spray (close blast 3)
  • Chaos Bolt
  • Dragonfrost (push and ranged basic)
  • Storm Walk
  • Spiteful Glamor (extra damage against undamaged targets)
  • Elderitch Strike (slide, melee basic)
  • Elderitch Blast (ranged basic)
  • Eye Bite (invisibility against target)
Unread 14th of November, 2009, 04:53
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

That's... helpful. Hm. Thanks.

Do Acid Orb, Dragonfrost, etc. "count" as a ranged basic (or melee basic for Elderitch Strike), even though they'd be encounter powers? As in, if some other guy includes me in a "ally gets a free basic attack" sort of effect?
I'm probably not going to need a basic attack more than once an encounter anyway, so that would be actually pretty nifty.
Unread 17th of November, 2009, 07:22
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Did any one post anything over the weekend that got lost? It seems there were some server problems on Saturday.

Notes on character sheets:
Stringbean: can you specify your modifiers for your skills and not just which ones are trained.

Scythe: You haven't taken a background yet.

zachol: you can't take Supernal as your third language since you can't learn Supernal (or Infernal, for that matter) at level 1

Merc: Is your character a druid or a ranger? I thought you were playing a ranger but both classes are mentioned in your character sheet thread.

tree: can you specify your modifiers for your skills and not just which ones are trained. Also, you're entitled to take another language and a background.
Unread 17th of November, 2009, 07:31
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
Beast Mastery Ranger. I'm just an idiot and typed in Druid instead.
Unread 17th of November, 2009, 07:35
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

No problem. That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure you hadn't changed your mind.
Unread 17th of November, 2009, 09:58
Scythe
Bodak

Member: #2925
I've been pretty busy lately with College term papers, yet again. I've added some DPR files for my main powers. I'll do them all eventually. As for background, I have no clue how everything works... Do I simply choose a type of bonus and include it logically in my background, or do I have to choose existing histories, like the the ones in Arcane Power?
Unread 17th of November, 2009, 23:47
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Done with everything but the description/bio.

I've gotten windows & the character builder working, but for some reason I can't get the DPR calc thing to work. I might've done something wrong (unzipping it, maybe?), I'll try again, but for now if you could still do it?
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 02:40
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by Scythe # I've been pretty busy lately with College term papers, yet again. I've added some DPR files for my main powers. I'll do them all eventually. ”
No need. I only need the files for your at-will powers. If you're curious about your other powers, that's your choice, but I don't need them.

“ As for background, I have no clue how everything works... Do I simply choose a type of bonus and include it logically in my background, or do I have to choose existing histories, like the the ones in Arcane Power? ”
You should be choosing one of the existing ones that fits your character. If you can't find one that fits, then we'll discuss creating your own.

I highly suggest starting your search with the backgrounds in Dragon 366 (which is one of the free preview issues) as they tend to be more interesting (mechanically) than the ones which have been published more recently.

“ Originally Posted by zachol # I've gotten windows & the character builder working, but for some reason I can't get the DPR calc thing to work. I might've done something wrong (unzipping it, maybe?), I'll try again, but for now if you could still do it? ”
The program does need to be unzipped, but it isn't zipped with the usual Windows default compression algorithm. I unzipped it with WirRAR, which isn't free, but does have a free trial that lets you do things like this.

Last edited by Black Plauge; 18th of November, 2009 at 02:44.
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 03:08
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

I used 7-zip.

And apparently I did something wrong that I can't even reproduce; trying it again works. WTF?
Bleh, whatever. Computers are stupid.
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 03:11
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

“ Originally Posted by zachol # Computers are stupid. ”
That, good sir, is a given.
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 03:25
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Ok, I probably didn't do those right at all, because that felt... really simple.

Eh, whatever.
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 04:59
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

At level 1, entering at-will powers into the DPR calculator is very simple. It's at higher levels when you start having feats, items, and other abilities that modify your at-will powers that things start getting complicated.
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 05:07
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Ok, question: my encounter power has a "attacks on target crit on 18-20 until end of next turn" effect, which doesn't affect itself (happens after a hit), but would affect other people's attacks, and Ril's own when his turn comes up again.
Is there a way to incorporate that, somehow?

Also, what about things like "ongoing 5 (save ends)"?
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 05:14
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

If you used that encounter power during the last round of combat that actually gets played out, then I'll take that power into account by upping the DPR appropriately for the first auto-resolved round. If you used it earlier, then it would play out as normal.

For ongoing damage, if an at-will imposes it, there is an ongoing damage calculator in the DPR Calculater which determines the effective damage bonus that said ongoing damage gives. If the ongoing damage is in place at the end of the fully resolved rounds, then I'll roll saves to determine how long it lasts and add it to the party's DPR for the rounds when it is in effect.
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 05:17
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

7-zip is, proverbially, "da bomb."
Unread 18th of November, 2009, 06:28
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
BP - I am definitely not flaking out on you, I've been down with a fever for the last week and a half and I'm still on the mend, which means I have almost no energy (I do a lot of my ORP stuff at night after the kiddo goes down). I'll get my shit together soon.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 20th of November, 2009, 06:40
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I still need wish lists from the lot of you. If I don't get them, then I won't guarantee that any of the magic items that turn up in game will be stuff you guys actually want.

Also, I'd like to start the first encounter on Monday, if at all possible. To that end, every one needs to double check their character sheets and make sure they're ready.
Unread 20th of November, 2009, 06:45
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Crap. I forgot about the wish list. I'll try to gen one up this weekend. How many levels out did you say you wanted them?
Unread 20th of November, 2009, 06:49
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Definitely not ready yet. Fever I think broke for good last night so I am almost recovered.

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot