Online-Roleplaying.community

Go Back   Online-Roleplaying.community > Black Plauge's Games > Scales of War

Unread 10th of November, 2009, 00:51
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Member: #192
Ok, I have no idea how Three Dragon Ante works and it looks like it's one of those "every card does something different" games, so I'm just making stuff up.
Unless there's a list of cards or something somewhere?
I don't know if there is an official list of cards somewhere, but most cards have a dragon on them (Red, Green, Blue, Black, White, Gold, Silver, Copper, Bronze, and Brass). There are also a bunch of mortals (Thief, Cleric, Princess, Archmage, Dragonslayer, and Druid), two dragon gods (Bahamut and Tiamat) and a Dracolich. Each card also has a numerical power on it, varying from 1 to 13 (not all dragon/power combinations are represented). Wikipedia has a fairly good summary of the game.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 01:23
Scythe
Bodak

Member: #2925
As a Wizard, do I need to buy my own starting Spellbook, or does the Spellbook feature already include the book?

And as for rituals, do I need to specify for which components apply to each ritual?
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 01:57
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Member: #1103
You get a free spellbook and some free spells.
Not sure about Wizard, but Bard gets a free book and two spells. Component costs and focuses are not included, but the book and the spell price is included.

Components are just "arcane components" or "divine components," not specific to any individual rituals. "10g of arcane components" is all you need to say.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 02:57
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Actually, the components for rituals are based off the key skill involved in the ritual. Heal (mystic slaves) is different from Religion (sanctified incense) is different from Nature (rare herbs) is different from Arcana (alchemical reagents). Residuum can substitute for any of the four, but having a large quantity of residuum is rare.

You need to specify which of the five types of components (and how much of each) you have, but need not assign them to specific rituals.

As for the book, if your class feature says you have one (as is the case for a Wizard), then you get one for free.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 03:51
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

Erg, yeah. Knew it was something like that (Arcane, Divine, then two others). Sorry.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 04:34
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Some one's character sheet reminded me to do this:

Here's a place to post your magic item wish lists.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 04:40
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Member: #1485
BP--I can send you the .dnd4e file, leave the PDF up, or transfer it over to forum scripting. What's your preference?
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 04:46
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

I prefer to have all the character sheets in one place, so having a link to the pdf or transferring it over to forum scripting is preferable for me. Which you do up to you.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 04:52
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Alright. The PDF is there, but I'll make a forum scripted sheet too. Might actually make it easier to update...
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 05:27
Stringbean2142
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #7644
I have my character sheet basically done, but it's at home and handwritten. I'll get it typed and on the site tonight. I'll also get a magic item wish list posted, at least for the early levels. Sorry for the weekend, but it got busy quick and never let up.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 05:33
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

Don't worry about the weekend. I don't have internet access at home and thus can't check the forums or post most weekends as a result.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 06:39
treehouse
Evolved Ulgurstasta [Epic GM]

Member: #1471
Hey BP - do you have a preference between past and present tense?

I'm like Jesus, but with more car chases. -BigRedRod

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 06:48
Stringbean2142
Ghoul [GM]

Member: #7644
Yeah, I just noticed we're all over the place with tense, aren't we? We should probably pick one and stick to it.

I vote for second person, future tense. You will disagree with my choice.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 06:50
treehouse

You will find that your assumption was correct.

Every outfit has a guy like me. We're usually called "Shut the hell up!" -Doombot
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 07:00
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

I just tend to prefer past tense for third person stories, but I'll adjust to whatever.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 07:21
Black Plauge
PhD in Physics [Epic GM]

You will find that I use both present and past tense as suits the literary needs of what I'm writing. I know that consistency in tense is something that many writing coaches and handbooks advise, but I tend to take that advice on a scene by scene basis, rather than for a whole work. The trick is managing the transitions.

Generally I use present tense to convey a sense of action, and rapid pace. It also works, as in my introductory post, to place the reader inside the scene. In that case I was trying to create an atmosphere without identifying the reader with any of the main characters (your characters), who had yet to make an appearance.

Most of the time, however, I'll revert to the past tense. I find it reads much better over the long haul. Especially when several people are writing in a round-robin fashion. Over use of the present tense feels forced to me and tends to get on my nerves in books, so I try not to do it myself.

You guys are free to switch back and forth for similar reasons, but I do ask that you consider the current tense and the resulting tone that has been set for the scene before switching.

For person, I rigorously insist on 3rd person. First person only works when the POV is fixed or changes only very infrequently (i.e. not what occurs in a PBP where each post changes the POV) and second person is way to hard to write.

In the current scene, the continued use of the present tense helps to portray the fractured nature of the scene. One or two characters over here, another over there... As the characters coalesce into a single group, however, past tense will help improve the readability of the narrative. Basically, use what you want, for now. I'll probably make a definitive switch to past tense when the first combat starts, if it hasn't been made already.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 08:39
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
Didn't see these answered, so I'll do so anyways.
Does this mean that the warlord needs to be adjacent to the target (and wielding a melee weapon), or that the "ally of your choice" needs to be adjacent to the target (and you could be, say, behind that ally, or otherwise safely some distance away, wielding, say, a bow)?
You need to be in melee with the same enemy as your ally.

Also, if I were to take, say, a Sorcerer attack for my Dilettante power, and it had the "Implement" keyword, could I use bard implements (such as a songblade or magical instrument), or do I need specifically Sorcerer implements for that?
I'm mostly certain you have to use sorcerer implements for it.

Last edited by LeadPal; 10th of November, 2009 at 08:41.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 11:26
Scythe
Bodak

Not necessarily; I believe implements are used for special class abilities, such as the Arcane Implement Mastery for Wizards, or to be able to grant enhancements bonuses for magical implements (but you still need to be able to use your implement). In this case, I'm pretty sure any implement is okay, since enhancement bonuses from implements depends on whether your class is able to use them.

Originally Posted by PHB p.56 It's not necessary to have an implement in order to use a power that has the implement keyword.

Last edited by Scythe; 10th of November, 2009 at 11:37.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 11:35
LeadPal
One Huecuva Guy [Epic GM]

Member: #1488
You don't have to use an implement, but any implement you do use has to be the correct type.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 12:15
Mercutio
Grave Digger [Epic GM]

Originally Posted by Black Plauge # You will find that I use both present and past tense as suits the literary needs of what I'm writing. I know that consistency in tense is something that many writing coaches and handbooks advise, but I tend to take that advice on a scene by scene basis, rather than for a whole work. The trick is managing the transitions.
Interesting. I am definitely in the writing coach/handbook camp, and not because I have a Master's in creative writing. I feel distracted and annoyed with tense shifts, which Glen Cook does far, far too often in the Black Company novels. It's less advice and more of a rule for me. If people hadn't insisted that the stories were good, I would have politely stopped reading because it was far more than a personal preference.

Now, in the measure you listed, scene-by-scene, it can definitely work depending on the scenes, characters, and the storyline. But that's most definitely not what was at work in the Black Company books. Tenses shifted within the same sentence at times, within the same paragraph frequently, and at least once in every three paragraphs. (I told you it was distracting. I counted, underlined, and made notes.)

That said, this isn't formal writing and is just a game among friends, so it doesn't really matter.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 12:40
treehouse

I am unlikely to do tense shifts in my posts if it isn't a requirement, though I don't have a problem with it. If we are shifting semi-permanently to past during or after the first combat I will probably start using past exclusively. It's my natural preference to use third person past tense in most writing, although I have used present a few times in play-by-posts that I play in without issue.

Unread 10th of November, 2009, 12:59
Scythe
Bodak

Alright, most of my character is complete; I still need to choose an appropriate background (I'll do so when I'll write up Balam's history) and an extra daily spell for my Spellbook. I'll add information in the Magic Items Wish List eventually. My next task on my to-do-list would be those DPR calculations.

Also, are their many powers or situations that would call for a Ranged Basic Attack?

Last edited by Scythe; 10th of November, 2009 at 13:02.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 13:08
treehouse

I think you just need to have something down that covers your Intelligence attack vs. Other.

Edit: wow, I just realized I'm not even close to finished with Lorien. No background, crunch isn't finished, and no DPR links. -tsk tsk- I'll work on it tomorrow.

Unread 10th of November, 2009, 13:49
Scythe
Bodak

Speaking of character completion, do we have a deadline for sheets to be completely finished?

EDIT: After looking up the DPR calculations, I've noticed that it would be possible to add any and all situational modifiers for our attacks. Simply add them as extra attacks (always/no trigger), and the the net damage in the damage section equals the DPR for each possible situation (normal attacks, combat advantage, class features, racial features, feats, powers, etc...) so that we as a team can profit from team boosts from a statistical point of view. Monster penalties could be prepared for in advance.

Last edited by Scythe; 10th of November, 2009 at 16:03.
Unread 10th of November, 2009, 17:13
zachol
Flesh Colossus [Epic GM]

With the tense thing, I tend to try to use the same tense as the previous post.